Recent content by Brett_Henderson

1. B

Huge DCC Score

That unit will be just fine, for a smaller layout that won't be running more than 3 locos at the same time. As for detailed, computer aided programming (speed-tables and sound) .. a Digitrax PR3 ($80), and JMRI (free) can be set up, independent the layout itself.
  2. B

Another wiring question ...

Of course there is nothing "wrong" with that level of short-protection.. But in practice, it is overkill. I have ~330 feet of track; 28 turnouts, on an, "around the walls" layout, in a 32 X 16 room.. not one insulated rail joint.. There have been the rare times when metal car wheel jumped a...
  3. B

2 trains on mainline at same time...........

..yup.. if you were only able to list one advantage to DCC, that's it. Also, I'll assume you were thinking you might need to insulate the siding... you do not.. any loco sitting on it will not respond to anything other than commands addressed specifically to it.. Edit: A simple way to picture...
  4. B

Most significant diesel electric locomotive of all time..

I'll add a vote for the SD9.. it's like the DC-3 of the rails.. broke ground and there are still many in service today..
  5. B

Installing a Tortoise ....

If you open the picture, and zoom in.. you'll see the most important part, for reliable operation; a little section of plastic tube at the roadbed. Also, ideally you'd want more that 2" of foam, so that you can completey "bury" the machine, with an additional, strategic bend (or two) in the...
  6. B

Switching Systems

You can interface a Prodigy with a computer.. all kinds of neat, point-n-click decoder programming, and even use the computer as an additional throttle. MRC has the software as a free download, but you have to purchase the USB interface (~$60)...
  7. B

Installing a Tortoise ....

I've used Tortoises (with thicker wire) through; 5/8" plywood / 2" foam / cork (~3" total).. But I had a place where benchwork made it impossible.... So I "buried" the machine on its side IN the foam..
  8. B

Is Model Railroading getting out of hand with things

It's relative, I guess **sigh** but not as bad as it seems.. Circa ~ 1985: Nice sedan = $10,000 / Athearn BB = $50 Circa ~ 2014: Nice sedan = $25,000 / Athearn RtR = $100 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ...
  9. B

Another "Design my Layout" thread?!

Just a rough idea, with lotsa operational potential.. a big, folded dog-bone, with both ends hidden in a mountain.. giving the look of two tracks entering a yard, than leaving as a double-main, that makes a climbing curve up to a scenically "seperate" upper level.. back into the mountain. The...
  10. B

Another "Design my Layout" thread?!

Yes.. accessibility is a problem in this trackplan.. but the elevations seem problematic, too. You want a minimum of ~ 3 1/4" clearance (from railhead).. so even if it's only a bridge "thickness" of 1/4", you're looking at railhead-to-railhead of ~3 1/2 "... A 2.5% grade with transitions...
  11. B

Ballasting Switches

For turnouts (HO).. I mix up a small batch of of ballast/water/white-glue , and apply it as though I were grouting a complex piece of tile, a little bit at a time.. using a toothpick and an Exacto knife to carefully control where the "pre-glued" ballast will set. Then (before it sets), use...
  12. B

First layout - criticism requested. This is stressing me out a little LOL

If you're gonna have two reversing tracks.. might as well have them work in opposite directions.. else trains get "trapped" in one direction. Attached is a rough idea.. all black track can be treated as a continuous-run loop; with sidings, spurs, etc.. the two reversing sections are red, and...
  13. B

Mounting tortoise control rod at an angle

For the sake of installation and tuning, and for long term reliability... I'd first try to modify the benchwork.. Move the leg, or stagger the leg, or partially skelotonize the leg/benchwork.. ie.. metal brackets or braces..
  14. B

MRC Command 2000 Manual

Glad I could help (with my first post here) :)
  15. B

MRC Command 2000 Manual

Check the bottom of this page: http://www.modelrec.com/train-controls/dcc.asp

Back