Huge DCC Score

If you've been following some of my other threads, you know my son and I are doing a new layout and have purchased two new DCC equippable engines recently. The first is a Kato SD40-2 and the second is an Athearn AC4400CW. They will both need sound cards installed, and I'm working on getting that parts list together now. The main reason for building this layout and the purchase of those two engines was to have engines with sound, hence going DCC.

There's a large county fair near us with over 525 vendors from around the nation. One of those vendors happened to be a lady who's late husband had a hobby shop. Most of the DCC controllers I've found have been in the $200 plus area, even for beginners setups. But, unbelievably, she had an MRC Prodigy Express setup new in the box for $75...yes, $75!!! Today was the first day of the fair and I wasn't going to pass that by and picked it up tonight. I know the Express is more of a beginner's DCC system, but it will work perfectly for our layout. For the price, I can deal with it having a few less features than some of the high dollar units. Found a few new and a lot of used models like this on the web and most of them were $145 and higher. Huge score for us!

Layout27DCCController.jpg

Know nothing about it but let's hope it can program sound decoders - some DCC systems have problems with sound decoders.

The price was right.

Pretty good reviews on this unit. Even though it's on the lower end of things features wise, a DCC controller for $75 is nothing to sneeze at. Heck, if it doesn't work out, I can always ebay the thing for $150, pocket the profit and move on to something bigger and better.

That unit will be just fine, for a smaller layout that won't be running more than 3 locos at the same time.

As for detailed, computer aided programming (speed-tables and sound) .. a Digitrax PR3 ($80), and JMRI (free) can be set up, independent the layout itself.

There is an MRC-DCC group on Yahoo that can help you with many questions you may have. A great bunch of guys. Check the MRC web site and I believe you can access a manual for the express. Nice find and one thing for sure is that the MRC system is the easiest DCC system to operate and upgrade.
Wayne

Back