Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Happy pi day. The day before the Ides of March! Cloudy and 71°, a bit warm for this time of day/year. Thunderstorms are still in our forecast for today and every day through Sunday now. However the radar doesn't show anything at all in all of Texas or any of the surrounding states at all right now. That's at least an 600 mile circle around me! But this is Spring time weather and they can pop up any time, anywhere; and can be pretty severe.

It's the weekly grocery trek day today. Time to stock up on corned beef roasts which are on sale. I have room for 4 in the freezer. The "out of stock" lottery has been mostly in my favor so far this year, so perhaps one stop should do it.
Yesterday, I planted some more Spinach and some Arugula in the garden, hoping for rain soon! While out there, I noted that the radishes that I planted 3/6 were peeking up. I had already planted some Spinach on 2/20, but it hasn't emerged yet, however my records show that it usually takes 3 weeks to come up, so there is hope yet. Another day on the mower yesterday, this time it was the south and southwest parts of the yard, including the area over the septic tank and leach field.

Saturday is my oldest daughter's birthday, so my wife made reservations at some fancy place near her home. Fancy to me! There's a dress code so I can't wear shorts, tee shirt, or tennis shoes! They prefer jacket and tie. And prices to match! Yikes! Salads are $11, mashed potatoes or green beans are $10 and a rib eye (my menu choice) is $59! Other items including pork, chicken, seafood and lamb are equally priced. Looks to be about $75-$90 per person before drinks. Glasses of wine start at $16 and a bottle averages $120. They don't even put beer on their website, so it is either outrageous or they don't serve any! There is no kids menu either for my granddaughter who will be with us. I'll need to up my credit card limit this weekend!;) Just kidding, I pay it off every month to avoid interest charges.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued on the storage shed build. I have come to Hughie's second favorite part (after stairs) of building laser-cut wood structures, the rafter tails. At least these are HO scale and not N scale like his.
View attachment 183992
View attachment 183993
I've only gotten one side of the roof done so far, Next step is to paint the exposed ends.
I did another area of tree enhancement, but I only took a before picture. I'll save it for tomorrow when I have an after one to go with it.
All in all it was a slow day, but slow progress is better than no progress.

Mac - Our company quit using cab-overs in the 80's due to driver concerns. They felt like they were better protected with that long nose out front. In the long run, it never mattered. Fortunately none of our drivers were involved in a head-on crash during the 40+ years that I dealt with them. Our normal fleet was 26 OTR drivers.
Mac (again) - Some hippies got married. I have 52 years under my belt! Dad told me that it would never last because a) I was too young; b) She was a non-Catholic; c) Our engagement of five months was too short! He was wrong.

Everybody have a great day.
Congratulations on your marriage, you've beat the odds. Then again young people back then were a lot more mature than now, we are living in the world of idiocracy today.
As to the trucks, i started out on International Navistar cabovers, nothing wrong with them. Excellent turning ability and easier to fit with a trailer in tight places and corners. I've never felt like i'm in more danger because there's no nose on the truck. Deffinitely easier and better view out the front...and personally being European i think they are more handsome than conventionals.

Question for David: do you have a favorite itinerary around the European ports? It's all new to us. Wife has done a little travel in France and Switzerland. But we've never been to the UK or Europe beyond that.

Cruising before the high security was fun. We would get off a ship and taxis would be waiting. Now we have to be out of the port area to get a taxi. Not fun for Dawn now. She tends to stay on board the ship, only getting off at certain ports.

Pre-Dawn days I travelled around Europe visiting most countries.

Luxembourg City. I was having lunch in a small cafe and a pretty girl walked in unloosening a backpack from her back. Sitting down she ordered a huge meal; double this, double that. I had nearly finished my meal, but had to see her eat her meal. Sure enough it was all too much and had to leave it. On leaving I chatted to her. She said she hadn't eaten for nearly 24 hours and was so hungry. We talked a good hour or so and looked around the area before we made our separate ways.

Austria On a tour there. Absolutely adore the place.

Germany Cologne is such a gorgeous city. The cathedral and train station, magical in their beauty.

Israel A country that has a piece of my heart.

France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, all have left memories.

With Dawn

Cruising Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland & Estonia. Loved every cruise, but now go to warmer countries.

Anywhere in Italy is a favourite.

Villefranche in France is wonderful.

Gibraltar, Malaga, and Cadiz are easy going for Dawn as are the Canary Islands

Morning folks

29 and cloudy. My thoughts and prayers Sherrel.

I actually spent some time at the work bench yesterday. I'm going to try a model my friend's Willys wagon.
53189264166_26a6425d77_b.jpg

53189327089_6f9a240eeb_b.jpg

It started life as a 51 panel delivery but we swapped that body out (or perhaps better stated, swapped what was left of that body out) for the 57 it currently sports. The victim of this exercise is a Mini Cars Willys wagon dating from some time in the 60's.

As to the trucks, i started out on International Navistar cabovers, nothing wrong with them. Excellent turning ability and easier to fit with a trailer in tight places and corners. I've never felt like i'm in more danger because there's no nose on the truck. Deffinitely easier and better view out the front...and personally being European i think they are more handsome than conventionals.
I think you need one of these, Kaiser's rendition of a cab over:
12912705013_a38e3167df_b.jpg

The photo is my late father's 1957 FC 150, the vehicle I took my driver's license test in and one that the examiner had obviously never resided in. A classic case of tongue biting on my part but an absolute piece of cake to parallel park. I did have the foresight to leave the tailgate home.

Congratulations on your marriage, you've beat the odds. Then again young people back then were a lot more mature than now, we are living in the world of idiocracy today.
In the 1970s, I used to hate cabovers for their really horrible ride on our country's, ahem, less than perfectly paved highways. The higher you were off the road, the more pitch and yaw you experienced. We had a pair of Whites, and got a new Ford with an air ride cab. I took the owner for a bobtail ride in one of the Whites, then in the Ford. A month later, the older White had been replaced by a Ford.

Hey folks -- been quite this afternoon except for calls to/from the immediate family.
The oncologist walked thru the door and said; "I'm afraid that I do not have good news".
The MRI showed multiple spots of cancer in your brain (like more than a dozen). I am loaded with it, and it extends all the way to the GI Tract and it appears aggressive.

Tomorrow morning I have a video conference with the Radiology Dept. The plan of attack is BOTH
Chemo and Radiology. I may become a blithering idiot before long?

I was hoping for a better outcome, but as my dad used to say: "We have to play the cards we are dealt" ... Looks like a 2 and a 7 in my book!
Prays from the me and the Conductress.

ome hippies got married. I have 52 years under my belt! Dad told me that it would never last because a) I was too young; b) She was a non-Catholic; c) Our engagement of five months was too short! He was wrong.
It seems you and I have a lot more in common than trains, Texas and New York. My folks said it wouldn't last, I was too young, she was older, engaged in July, married in September, only knew her for 8 months. 58 years later, they were wrong. There is a line in the movie "The Finest Hour" where the guy says, "when you know, you just know".

Tomorrow morning I have a video conference with the Radiology Dept. The plan of attack is BOTH
Chemo and Radiology.
There is always hope.
I was hoping for a better outcome, but as my dad used to say: "We have to play the cards we are dealt" ... Looks like a 2 and a 7 in my book!
Discard three and draw all aces. I'm betting on you!

We are with you buddy. More important, God is with you.

Free love and no bras. The hippy days I remember from the 70’s
but i like the no bras part😀
Sure saved time not having to unfasten them!:):):)

Reminds me of an incident during my freshman year in college, either in '69 or '70. Girls generally sat in the front of the classroom, and besides no bras, halter-tops were the preferred top. Our English instructor was a young male teaching assistant, who was either perverted or extremely horny. He wandered around the classroom with his prolonged fixed gazes on the females to the point of making some of them uncomfortable. So an evil group of females got together one day near the end of the semester and they all wore short skirts and no underwear. All of a sudden in the middle of class, while he was sitting at his desk, on cue, they all parted legs giving him a brief but unexpected view. He had to remain seated behind the desk for the remainder of the class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back