Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy, I had an idea for a live RPG game, but it would require the people involved to have something similar to Facetime or Zoom. Everybody has their own boards and die, and when it's their turn, roll their own in view of the camera.
It's probably already been tried, and failed miserably, but if you love a challenge...
BTW, our son and his friends play D&D every weekend. I would join in, but being 3+ hours away tends to put a damper on the enthusiasm.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
I'd say it is still a fairly close contest, but human stupidity can be much more extreme.

This was my eighth holiday season with Amazon. Or "peak season" as Amazon calls it. In recent years they have come to rely heavily on artificial intelligence. Every year it is increasingly more so. Everything from pulling orders, organizing, and assigning routes to laying out the order of deliveries.

Some of it has been good, but much of it not so good. I can say AI is slowly getting better. Amazon worked best when they had good people. Now that they rely so heavily on AI, they don't appreciate the good workers they have. Amazon has been losing good people at a steady rate.

I put a laminated note on my fence right where they'd put the package (in prime location for porch pirates) to bring all packages inside. It's even in my delivery instructions with Amazon to do so.

Then, when I get the delivery complete email I make sure to click the "It was Great!👍" followed by the "with care" and "above and beyond" options.

I'm not sure if those figure into any employee statistics, but I want them to keep making the 20 extra steps from gate to porch. So I'll do what I can to help the drivers and not lose package to the porch pirates
It does help. If a driver has too many "infractions" as Amazon calls them, the driver can appeal via email. That is where your compliments can help.

My track record is so good that I get an email if I have an infraction, but it is removed from my record within a day or two.

Missing packages are also considered infractions. Good drivers appreciate your delivery instructions. Those twenty extra steps are well worth it if it saves the package from being stolen.

I don't mind walking halfway down an alley to deliver to a back door to protect the package. I do mind if the customer asks for a backdoor delivery and does not have a house number!

I had one customer say in her instructions "Please deliver to the back door. My house the one with the purple Subaru in the yard" Can you believe there were two purple Subarus in that alley? A house number is much better.

Amazon has been losing good people at a steady rate.

Over here companies have been 'paying off' good, older people and employing young kids out of college with no experience, (but bits of paper) running things.
Then they wonder why the downward spiral the companies are in.
Some companies want the older people to return. Most are saying 'No thanks. Not the way they have been treat.'
New found freedom is good.

Over here companies have been 'paying off' good, older people and employing young kids out of college with no experience, (but bits of paper) running things.
Then they wonder why the downward spiral the companies are in.
Some companies want the older people to return. Most are saying 'No thanks. Not the way they have been treat.'
New found freedom is good.
There used to be a five-year plan for businesses. Now it's just from quarter to quarter with the only concern being the stock price because that's what the CEO's compensation is tied to. Chronic short-sightedness!

ARE You ready for some FOOTBALL???
I was waiting all day for Saturday evening...

The first half of the Ravens game was fun to watch. I was impressed with the Ravens' second half offensive adjustments, but it was sad for the young Texans.

The 49ers game was great from the beginning to the last minute. That's when Green Bay's young phenomenon, Jordan Love finally made a critical mistake. In desperation he threw across his body as he scrambled, resulting in the interception that sealed San Fransisco's win. I was hoping he could get them into field goal range and send the game into overtime. I didn't have much of an intertest in the outcome. I only wanted to keep the fun of watching the game going!

DID someone mention snow?

The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938
Image Credit:
Bill Brinkman; Courtesy: Paula Rocco
1705848055075.png

The "idiot" could be smarter than you realize. She may have as many as 200+ stops in that van. It looks like she could have saved 20-30 steps by taking the short cut. Times that by 200 = 4000-6000 steps. The average person takes 2000-2500 steps per mile. The average person walks a mile in 15-20 minutes in good conditions. She could have saved herself more than an hour, even two.

Combine that with the pressure Amazon puts on them to deliver everything on time. That could be the difference in having late packages or not. Amazon will charge her with an infraction for each late package. Too many infractions and she will be terminated.

She looks like a good worker to me.
Amazing skill you have there sir. Seeing a still picture of an Amazon delivery person and you can tell she’s a good worker! 🤣😂🤣. Right.

Imagine the time she could save by just tossing it in the snow from the van. Hmmm.

Good Morning All!

First thing this morning I get notification that my flight is delayed, which will blow my connection in Detroit. I rebooked to a different flight. The good news: I get to spend most of Sunday at home and don't have to eat airport food. I also get a direct flight. The bad news: I won't check in until after 11:00 PM. 💩 Oh well, winners and losers in everything I suppose!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 30°, it's actually warmer this morning than when I went to bed last night at 26°. But it is only expected to get up to 34° for a high today, not a lot of range! Forecast doesn't make a lot of sense though, the range tomorrow is supposed to be 40° to 43°; so there is a missing 6° jump in there somewhere??? The NWS is sticking with rain from Monday thru Saturday, but has now added ice to tonight's forecast. Why not? Since I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning to drive to. Remember that there is no such thing as road clearing in this part of the world.

Getting away from the Amazon commercial for a few minutes, I went to and enjoyed the train show yesterday, in Plano TX, a ritzy suburb of Dallas. I did a little shopping and met some people as documented by several of my posts yesterday evening. I was originally planning to visit three layouts on the home layout tour, but information was not available on the website. I had to wait until I picked up the circular at the show. It used to be that there was a booklet available with names, descriptions, hours and directions to all of the layouts on the tour. Not any more. There was just a single page with a QR code on it and you had to look stuff up. Well, I have issues with reading on a phone anyway, but this was worse. Yes, I could enlarge the print, but then I had to scroll left and right to read stuff. Much better to enlarge it and rearrange the words so one wouldn't have to scroll.
After reading up on the three that I was planning to visit, I dropped the third one. It was a live steam railroad club that was just beginning construction. According to the information, they had 150' of track down, of a planned 10,000' looping through two adjoining properties. It was 40 miles away, although it wasn't too difficult to take back roads back to my house, but I just decided to wait until they had more construction completed.
After a lunch, I set out to see the other two, one at a well known MRR club that I had been to before, and the other at an individual's home. It wasn't until I got to the home that I realized that I had visited this fellow's layout about 10 years ago. No problem as I like most layouts no matter how often I visit. This gentleman is really big into automation, animation and electronic wizardry.
IMG_1239.JPG

He has 8 of those Miller Engineering neon type signs spread out over the layout. Here are a couple.
IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

There's a highway in the backdrop mountains with moving vehicles. The cars are glued to a strip of sandpaper that continuously moves over two pairs of rollers, one in each direction. He is a mechanical engineer and he scratchbuilt the whole thing.
IMG_1240.JPG

There is also the drive-in movie theater.
He has a large fairgrounds with an ice skating rink, parachute drop, several carousels and a roller coaster. All of them are animated.
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1245.JPG

Over in his city section,, there are cars that move over a Faller type system of buried guide wires and transponders, all scratchbuilt by him as well.
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG

And there are trains. Nine trains to be specific, all which he ran at the same time on a DC layout, with appropriately placed sensors and other electronic gizmos to avoid collisions.
IMG_1247.JPG

The downside to me, was that there was no switching opportunities anywhere; and you all know that I like switching.

I did not go out to the train shed yesterday, quite unusual for me.

Todd - I'm with you on taking the shortest distance, pisses my wife off. But I would have taken the cleared path rather than through the snow.

RE: Alexa. My wife still argues with her after three years. The conversation usually ends when she insults the damn machine.

Everybody have a great day.

Amazing skill you have there sir. Seeing a still picture of an Amazon delivery person and you can tell she’s a good worker! 🤣😂🤣. Right.

Imagine the time she could save by just tossing it in the snow from the van. Hmmm.
You got your package, and she didn't toss it out of the truck. She put it right next to your door.

Did you at least say thank you?

Last edited:
Morning all,

30° and getting cloudy. Supposed to get to near 37° later. We'll see.

Got to get downstairs with the trains later as I fell into a couple of wheeled storage carts yesterday at Michael's. All metal and half price. so now I need to get my work area cleaned off.

My carts are navy blue which wasn't a color shown online.

Been a weekend so far. Equinox has a dead Tire Pressure sensor, and the truck flagged a check engine light.

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back