Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1703492537011.png

1703492242575.png

1703495715148.jpeg

1703495760019.jpeg

1703495924387.jpeg

Merry Christmas from the Bruette Family Christmas Railroad, Nagyi and Pop's Christmas trains.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Merry Christmas to all. It's clear and 36° outside this morning, reindeer droppings and footprints all over the front yard.
_9ad39d76-f5ea-4747-bf13-d610eef0f7a2.jpg

Full day ahead for us. In 52 years together, we have never spent Christmas Day at home. Used to always be the family get-together at my parents home until Mom passed away. Then my siblings took over and we celebrated at one of their homes. Always the traditional turkey, dressing, smashed taters etc, until five years ago when all agreed to spend Christmas Day with their own grandchildren and just have the informal buffet like we had Saturday. My wife was looking forward to doing it at home, but before she had a chance, my daughters jumped in and we now have Christmas Day brunch and gift exchange at the oldest one's home, and then move over to the youngest one's home for prime rib dinner.

Pizza - Nothing here can beat the pizza made at either of the small town Italian Restaurants near me. Medium crust, loads of Marina, Mozzarella and toppings, cooked in a gas-fired oven to perfection. We used to have a Godfather's location 25 miles away that was also very good, but they closed 20 or so years ago. Most of the chain places like Dominoes, Pizza Hut and Papa Johns around here seem like cardboard with minimal other ingredients. I cannot comment on Shakey's because I have not eaten at one.

Today's non-religious birthdays include the late Jimmy Buffett who would have been 77, and Rod Serling who was born 99 years ago.

I probably won't be in tomorrow morning if we stay in Dallas tonight.
Everybody have a wonderful, safe, Merry Christmas Day.

Well, Merry Christmas there Internet elves and those who celebrate any holiday that sounds fun!

It's Troy again.

Here's one of my main characters, Punkin, the snarky talking cat, trying to be good until someone gives him a present.

Punkin-tree3.jpg

Health update: Still sleeping in the recliner. Whatever the virus going around, it's mostly a cold for me, but in a weird order of symptoms, I normally get runny nose, then sore throat, then chest congestion. On Day 4 I finally got the runny nose. Between trying to hack up both lungs to clear the chest yesterday, I ran through half a box of tissues.

Yesterday I felt run-down and slept a lot. About 8pm, I finally started to get some energy, and could slow down on the mucus pills.

Wife had it a month ago, but we're still limiting time together to just meals.

Heard from the daughter down in Indy that she's got the virus too. She's trying to keep her live-in boyfriend from getting it. This coming Saturday is wife's family get-together, and this would be the big debut of the boyfriend to the cousins and such. We'll see if that happens.

No gifts exchanged here. We agreed to stop doing the gift thing a few years ago. Daughter gets cash, and we pay her car insurance since she's still driving the hand-me-down Honda we gave her 10 years ago. She's thirty, so she's not too bad off on the gift thing.

I did get the wife a party-sized bag of M&Ms though. I know better than to not get a little something for her. With luck, she'll reciprocate with filled stocking later ;)

For those of you worried about your churches combusting or falling in... Don't worry about it. I'm slightly pagan, mostly heathen, very unreligious (and a card-carrying Dudeist priest, as well as an ordained Pastafarian). I spent 20 years as a wedding photographer and attended wedding services in churches at least 200 times. No churches were harmed in all of my excursions. However, there was one priest that I expected to grow horns and breathe fire. But, that's a story for another day.

Good morning from foggy So. Central Wisconsin. No snow means I don’t have to hitch up the sleigh. The ride in the car to the daughter’s place is a 2 mile drive on the roads. Just under a mile on the horses or in a sleigh through the woods.

From 1974 to my retirement in 2014 we spent and had visitors to our house in North Central Wisconsin on Christmas Day one time. Other than that one time we traveled 3.5 hours to Terry’s parents place on Christmas Eve day and on Christmas morning another 2 hours to my sister’s place then in the Chicago suburbs. Have a great and safe day
IMG_3699.jpeg

Merry Christmas all,

32 and overcast. First Christmas in a long time that the wife and I are alone. Kids may stop over later after their Christmases. I've got to get the electric and antenna wired behind the tv in our bedroom.

Typed this from my fire tablet, so the keyboard doesn't have the degree symbol (or at least not one I found yet).

BBL

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone,

Other than the crash landing on my right hip yesterday, it was great day. A couple of close friends were out for lunch followed by a really nice get together with 3 neighbor couples for the evening. Even the midnight stroll with the canines was strikingly beautiful with the full moon on the new snow-a bit brisk though at 9 degrees.

My "railroad room" is finally complete so no excuses left for not diving into a multitude of unfinished, three decade old projects. Ordering the queue is the only hindrance at this point.
53419368862_d8a0f12b1d_b.jpg

Merry Christmas. Just got this racy looking "prairie" going. It probably hasn't moved on its own in decades. I picked it up at a train show last year without a tender. Besides combination linkage on one side being disconnected, i just lubricated the drive mechanism. And with holding one wire to the rail it was moving. Had to prepare a tender for it, so i used this old japanese made standard looking one. After rotating the trucks around and putting on Kadee coupler it was just a matter of mating it to locomotive. It's very similar looking to Santa Fe 1000 class, like the ones on display in La Junta, CO: https://maps.app.goo.gl/iq77sBX1DByN37bu7
and in Kansas.
IMG_20231225_121451345_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231225_121514999_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231225_121504076_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231225_124219684~2.jpg

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone,

Other than the crash landing on my right hip yesterday, it was great day. A couple of close friends were out for lunch followed by a really nice get together with 3 neighbor couples for the evening. Even the midnight stroll with the canines was strikingly beautiful with the full moon on the new snow-a bit brisk though at 9 degrees.

My "railroad room" is finally complete so no excuses left for not diving into a multitude of unfinished, three decade old projects. Ordering the queue is the only hindrance at this point.
53419368862_d8a0f12b1d_b.jpg
Nice. Mine is nowhere near as organized.

Merry Christmas to all.............

I was a little put off by an e-mail I received......"Train Museum". You form your own opinion:

By WBAY news staff
Published: Dec. 20, 2023 at 5:21 PM EST

“The Satanic Temple of Wisconsin is proud to have our Sol Invictus tree displayed among the other holiday trees at the National Railroad Museum. Bringing a tree inside, a tradition that began as a pagan ritual has evolved into a cherished holiday practice that unites us with our families and communities in a spirit of togetherness and pluralism. We hope the media attention and articles focusing on our tree will inspire the public to seek knowledge and act with benevolence, and compassion. Our tree stands as a symbol of these virtues, as well as a testament to the freedom of religion and expression.

We would like to thank the National Railroad Museum for displaying our tree, as well as our many members who contributed ornaments and helped with the decorating. We look forward to our Sol Invictus tree becoming an annual favorite in the National Railroad Museum’s holiday display, sure to delight local families every year!

-The Satanic Temple of Wisconsin.”

This from The Patriot Journal:
This year, Americans have been shocked to see some people erect Satanic displays during Christmas. A train museum allowed a Satanic “holiday” tree.

I'll be celebrating the birth of my Lord and Savior today. The Greatest Gift ever.

Take care....John

Merry Christmas.

presents with our kids is over and the Cheesecake
Pie kryhfay cake for the wife eaten. And left over Dominos Pizza as well (by me only) that I had gotten for some of the workers on the house a few days ago and had left over.

going to work on the house a few house a d then head to my mom’s house for the evening Christmas dinner etc.

Hope all are having a wonderful Christmas Day and
A day off for those not celebrating.

Merry Christmas Gang!!

I hope everyone is having a great day! It's halftime here. We started with wife, son #4 and I doing our gift exchange, then 2 miles down the road to brunch with the Daughter, SIL and the 2 grand kids. Now a brief visit home while the wife makes a dish to take to son #3 house, where will will meet up with sons 1 & 2 along with the 2 DILs for a grand meal at 5.

Swal. I did show the better half your kitchen renovation. She liked it very much and wanted to know if you would commute. Guess what my next project is gonna be in the spring. :rolleyes: ;)
BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back