Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the holiday shipping slowdown has begun. Thanksgiving day, I ordered an Atlas SD9. Friday, it was shipped, with a delivery date of Monday. It's now Wednesday, and I don't have the train, and USPS can't tell me when it'll be here. It's currently milling around the facility in Ybor City, where packages go to die...

Well, the holiday shipping slowdown has begun. Thanksgiving day, I ordered an Atlas SD9. Friday, it was shipped, with a delivery date of Monday. It's now Wednesday, and I don't have the train, and USPS can't tell me when it'll be here. It's currently milling around the facility in Ybor City, where packages go to die...
I ordered a set of toners for the color printer on Friday which were estimated to arrive December 1st.
I was surprised to see them in the postal box yesterday!

Morning all,

Currently a balmy 26° and clear. Supposed to get to 49° later and stay above freezing overnight. Roads are back to normal after the record for the date snowfall of Saturday. Wichita recorded 8.5" and the old record for the date was 7.4" in 1952. Snow disappearing pretty quickly with the ground being way too warm. It has been so dry, it isn't running off (except from parking lots where the ground can't absorb it). Some rain expected Thursday night.

Willie: Those chops look good!

Busy couple of days at the office. Supposed to be busy again today...First ticket just came in.

BBL

Good morning from weather confused Wisconsin. It’s warmer now at 26f degrees than it was all day yesterday. We are heading to mid 40’s with a calm wind blowing.

I brought up the Christmas storage bins yesterday at 11AM and the tree last night. I put the tree up this morning and Terry will decorate it without any help from me. I forgot after 30+ years with the same tree we purchased a new one last year. The tree is pre-wired and that makes putting the tree up kind of boring. This year bringing the bins up was easy. We have a storage room with cooler under the kitchen and I thought it would be neat when I designed the house to put an elevator in. Well that turned into a non-passenger dumb waiter thing. But it saved me 18 trips up and then 18 returning trips down the stairs. Other then the tree everything fit into the lift 2 bins at a time.

I had wonderful plans yesterday for some train running and weathering. I didn’t get to the train room or bench until after dinner around 7. Terry sure has a way of derailing my plans. I did get some weathering in though from 8 to midnight with a few breaks spread out.

I got the now 3rd annual pleading text message from a weathering client’s wife. Last year at the last minute she wanted a car done for his birthday a week before Thanksgiving. 5 day notice! This year it’s a Christmas present. Unlike last year though, I don’t have the exact car in my fleet already weathered. Not the end of the world if I get the car this week and she says she will drive here this afternoon. Her money is good!

This morning I will be putting the finishing touches on 4-2 bay cement hoppers for 2 different clients. Showing the clients the progress pictures on Monday I put the cars up side by side. 3 Accurail cars and an Intermountain one. I like Accurail and generally dislike Intermountain. But the details and the weight of the IMRR car versus the Accurail rail is very evident. 3oz on the Accurail cars versus 5oz in the Intermountain. The details of the IMRR car is very nice versus the plainness of the Accurail car. But, double the price per car makes the Accurail a much better value and of course in a moving train, the details are hard to notice. They weather up the same!

enjoy the day

Good morning gang!

21° and clear, only going to 35° if were lucky .

Yesterday was fun. Had to take wifey to Sinai Hospital in B'more for a consultation for her bum ankle at 8 a.m.. This only reminded me of how much I hate Baltimore traffic!! After xrays and ct scans, they did inject her ankle with steroids and informed us that surgery is on the horizon. No rush, after the holidays is fine but she will be on crutches or a wheel chair for a month.
After that I had a check up visit with my primary and as I was sitting there son #1 called and asked me it I could take him to his doctor since his ride fell through. Oh what the heck, I'm not far away, why not. He had a 3:15 appointment, we arrived early yet he wasn't seen until 4:30. Needles to say I got home about the same time I would get home if I had gone to work. I went from the dinner table to the couch then bed. No trains!

Swal. I have windows above my drop ceiling. I will snap some pics for you tonight.

BBL

SIGH !

1701266350186.jpeg

Good morning from the Jersey Shore! Currently 29° and sunny, after a overnight low of 22°. Not unusual, but a tad colder than what we normally expect around here...Appears the wind has died down also.

Today's calendar includes a trip to BJ's Warehouse. This afternoon, the wife takes her mother to the Orthopedic doctor, the Physical Therapy is apparently doing more harm than good. She is 92, so there is a limit as to what PT will accomplish.

My own experiences are telling me that our current Analytics based Medicine, leaves no room for common sense, and that numerous items fall into the cracks.

Just received notification from Optimum...my 100 MBPS Internet ($94.50 / month), has been upgraded to 500MBPS a no additional cost....Must be planning a rate increase after the first of the year.... :rolleyes: There is no real competition here at the moment, or until Verizon either wires in FIOS into the neighborhood, or upgrades our 5G service. So...

Be Safe,Be Well and enjoy your day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 40°, heading for 63° just like yesterday. Still have rain in tomorrow's forecast.

Another outdoor activity day today. I need to stack all of the firewood that I cut yesterday and probably cut some more. I haven't really made much of a dent in the pile of trees, but I now have a bit over a two week supply cut, half of it already stacked. I'm not moving as fast as I did 10 years ago though.
After further review, the garden just isn't dry enough to operate the tiller in yet. If I try it today, the soil would just clod up instead of forming a smooth seedbed like I want. It is perfect for digging by hand with a spading fork though, but I am past those days when it was practical. I don't need any additional aches! So I will instead run the push mower over parts of the leaf covered yard and shred and collect more leaves with the grass catcher.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I started another upgrade/finishing project. I have this kit from Smalltown USA of studio apartments.
IMG_1002.JPG

I originally kitbashed it for my old layout as a background structure. It is primarily constructed with various styrene strips and sheets that had to be pieced together to make the walls. I have been filling a space on the current layout with it and I decided that it's time to complete it.
IMG_1001.JPG

Yesterday I spray-painted the whole thing with white primer, as my experience is that unpainted white styrene eventually yellows with age even under artificial lighting. Not shown here is that I also painted the roof black. The next phase is to add the clear styrene glazing which I never did. Then I will hand paint the walls between the windows a color that I haven't decided on yet. I like the teal coloring shown in Smalltown's photo, but I don't think that I have a match for it in the paint department. After that, the hard part of finding interiors or appropriate curtains for all 12 of those window groups.
When completed along with ground scenery, it will occupy a space in "tenement row" next to another already completed structure.
05-04-15 012.001.JPG

08-26-20 002.JPG

This last photo was taken before I added several feet of fencing along the RR ROW.

Louis -
Are the flakes better than the powders?
I can't say for sure, it's just what I used. Normally for most recipes, I use fresh garlic, but for rubs the dried stuff works better, whether it's powder of flakes. I truly believe in eating garlic every day. I don't know if it is that or the beer, but I never get bitten by mosquitos, whereas my wife gets bitten any time that she goes outside without using "OFF".
The only time that I use the frying pan for pork chops is when I am using a recipe that calls for gravy. I grill outdoors with real charcoal 12 months a year.
Troy - Nice haul of RR stuff. You didn't specify what kind of quintet you were going to listen to. Not all music from a quintet is boring, depending on the instrumentation. String quintets can be really good if they are playing upbeat music instead of somber church stuff. I have also heard Dixieland horn quintets that are also really good.
Curt - Sorry to read about the cooler temperatures in your neighborhood. There is a much wider range here, it can be as cold as 0° or as hot as 113°. I have experienced both many times, although not in the same season. Historically the average is six days a year that the temperature doesn't get above freezing, last year it was 2. I lost count during the "Deep Freeze" of 2021. And of course this past summer of '23, we had many days above 110°, 16 I think.

Everybody have a wonderful Wednesday.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with good tastes in Fine Music

that last part is subjective. Listen to what you like.

I avoid Opera, Rap, and Country, in that order. Most other things are ok.
quartet.jpg
Yesterday, we had a visit by a Quartet (I was misinformed about the number) from the Fort Wayne Philharmonic. A cello and three violins - not fiddles, this is "fine music" not the average levels of music. One is inspired to hold one's pinkie finger out while listening.

Of course, it was holiday-themed. They played several pieces from the Nutcracker, including a piece that is usually performed by flutes and woodwinds. Then they did a couple of holiday classics like White Christmas, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas.

We sat close enough in the intimate setting (about 30 of our neighbors were in attendance) that it was fun to watch the musicians interact with each other as they played.

I'm about to make a Costco run, to make sure the wife has enough rum and vodka to get through the holidays. I'd better get her two bottles. ;)

Here's a model painting video from a channel I'm exploring. Interesting modifications and airbrushing techniques - but it focuses on Armour, mostly from WWII

FOR My Friend, LOUIS! (since I loved to catch)
1701276314097.png

In the conversation of the GOAT catcher, Lorenzo Pietro Berra does not get the full respect he deserves. All too often, batting statistics alone are provided to identify and rank the greater player by position. But consider this … when he finally retired in 1989 there had been 85 World Series played up to that point in time. Yogi Berra played, coached, or managed in 21 of them (amost 25% of them) winning 10 of them as a player and 3 of them as a coach. He also called and caught the only perfect game that will ever be pitched in the World Series. What say ye?

Good morning, all! Ummm, someone has garlic breath. A pretty nice day, cool but the sun is out and warming things up. Not a lot to report on.
Outside decorations are up, yard cleaned up and the dog bathed. It took 2 days to put the house in order after Thanksgiving dinner.

Trains - I added lights to 4 more buildings. I ran some trains yesterday, it was steamer day, with only steam locos running. I have given the grinchess a hint about a sound decoder for my Kato FEF3.

Stay SAFE
LATER

A cello and three violins - not fiddles, this is "fine music"
That is rather snobbish, isn't it? ;) Realistically, some of the finer Country fiddle players, have sat in with the New York Philharmonic String Quartet , or Quintet, or BSO, (which I once had a subscription with), and there would be no difference in skill noted.

Music preference is very individual and subjective, ergo no better than others. Having said that, My preferences include Chamber Music, Smooth and Classic Jazz, Classic Country and Rock-n-Roll. Most performers of any of my preferences could crossover to another genre, and many have successfully done so.

Actually, it would be nice to have such a conveniently located musical interlude, something definitely lacking here, in the land of bad drivers and poorer manners. Back in the day, I used to get and use tickets for evening concerts by the Philadelphia Orchestra, in Fairmont Park. Bring your own wine, cheese and bug spray. ;)

Music, so subjective and mood driven. I prefer no singing. When I do listen to singing it's classic country, and 50's / 60's rock n roll, preferably Doo Wop. My current listening pleasure is from YouTube, Geoff47. I have downloaded about 120 of his covers. I use a flash drive in the car and truck. I'm not sure the radio even works, nor the CD player for that matter.

Afternoon All,

Started out today with a walk at 47F. I'm not ashamed to say I was freezing although I was completely bundled up. Nothing of interest in the train room. I spent most of the morning doing chores and MOH was a driver for a family friend that was having a procedure done. Youngest grandson is coming here from his high school when school is completed.

Smudge- It is on the correctly themed layout.

Mike- I have smaller cast iron Pennsy bell and whistle signs (designed to go on a broom pole.)

David- Interesting video. That was a great lorry? driver in those narrow streets. Nice after photo too.

Joe- Great looking builds.

TomO- Our wives do seem to dictate/manage our time.

Bill- Neat photo of your Dad.

Karl- Best wishes for your wife.

Willie- I really like the tenement build.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back