Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's in those cages, chickens?😆
No idea, but if that is cruise ships of the future I'll stay at home.

Still my favourite ship. (A dog-eared postcard from 1969)
SS Uganda of British India SN Line

Uganda.JPG

Louis - I see where Marilyn Mosby's Karma finally got back to her.
I would have liked to have known where those police officers she falsely accused were celebrating. I would have stayed up past my bedtime to buy them all a drink.

She is facing another trial in December on separate charges.

I'm waiting for the charges against her husband. That slippery eel has been able to avoid them so far.

My wonderful city, Baltimore, has been plagued by corruption for decades. I feel bad for Mayor Brandon Scott. An honest man trying to do good in Baltimore has his back against the wall and few allies. I'm happy to see he got so much support nationally. "Let's go Brandon" ;) :D

Greetings All! Digging out the warmer clothes this morn where it was 37 this a.m.
Expected high of 76 later with mostly sunny!

Sorry to say that I no longer enjoy Christmas. I contribute to many charities to help those less fortunate, but all the wifes spend way too much on gimmicks, and presents for all the siblings and G-Kids. A few years back - a policy was started that we would all draw names and there would only be one present each for the adults and a scaled down version for the kids with a $ limit on presents.
Well- that did not last long; pretty soon the Mom's were violating like crazy and it has reached the point that a van is needed to haul away the stuff.

I have probably stepped in a minefield with the above statement, but that's my take. Christmas should be about helping others - not flooding the house with "junk".

I'll add a Hallmark movie or two to the above lists!
Have a nice day all.

I still wonder about the sensor that detects the amount of moisture on the windshield? What/where is it? It certainly isn't a fixed wipe rate, and it varies by the amount there. Passing an 18 wheeler sets off a frenzy that calms down once out of range.

The ones I've seen are all built into the rear view mirror mount. If you look at where that is stuck on your windshield, but from outside, you may see some sensors or other things.

Sorry to say that I no longer enjoy Christmas. I contribute to many charities to help those less fortunate, but all the wifes spend way too much on gimmicks, and presents for all the siblings and G-Kids. A few years back - a policy was started that we would all draw names and there would only be one present each for the adults and a scaled down version for the kids with a $ limit on presents.
Well- that did not last long; pretty soon the Mom's were violating like crazy and it has reached the point that a van is needed to haul away the stuff.

I have probably stepped in a minefield with the above statement, but that's my take. Christmas should be about helping others - not flooding the house with "junk".

Although I love Christmas, I'll go along with all that you say.
Dawn goes overboard present buying (except for me🤣). The grandchildren want this or that. Friends kids etc. have to have presents? Before I know it £600 -700 is spent.
When I tell our grandchildren I only got one present from Santa and that was it, they cannot believe I did not get presents from other members of the family.

I still buy stocking stuffers on Christmas Eve but it’s not as fun as I remember.
I, like you used to enjoy Christmas Eve shopping. The holiday atmosphere was so contagious, everyone friendly and polite. That was a long time ago. I suppose starting Christmas in August, and growing from there, just makes the season to long. Christmas Eve shopping is not fun anymore.

Last edited:
Exactly, DAVID, on all accounts! ONE present from Santa (if lucky some Lionel track and switches) - and some clothes. MOM kept buying me a sweater and wool pants ... I never cared for sweaters nor wool pants!... even to this day!
Your £600 -700 would be close to correct in $'s

Greetings All! Digging out the warmer clothes this morn where it was 37 this a.m.
Expected high of 76 later with mostly sunny!

I'll add a Hallmark movie or two to the above lists!
Have a nice day all.
Add me to the list of folks who agree with you, although I still somewhat enjoy Christmas. The bed in the guest bedroom is already completely covered with stuff for the grandkids and my own grown kids. Then we still have to get wrapping paper because Heaven forbid if any of them recognize the paper as being the same stuff as last year!
Don't get me started on Hallmark movies, besides a month of them in July, they've been on here for a while now.

Exactly, DAVID, on all accounts! ONE present from Santa (if lucky some Lionel track and switches) - and some clothes. MOM kept buying me a sweater and wool pants ... I never cared for sweaters nor wool pants!... even to this day!
Your £600 -700 would be close to correct in $'s

No clothes for me at Christmas, Sherrel. One main toy (I only ever received two train sets. The first was clockwork. The other electric.) The toys were varied. I remember one year was a fort six soldiers. Another year was a garage and two cars. (My uncle made them for Santa)
Anyway, as I say one present, then in a sock hung up was inside an apple or orange and a small piece of chocolate. Oh the joy as I did not have chocolate throughout the year.

I would have liked to have known where those police officers she falsely accused were celebrating. I would have stayed up past my bedtime to buy them all a drink.

She is facing another trial in December on separate charges.

I'm waiting for the charges against her husband. That slippery eel has been able to avoid them so far.

My wonderful city, Baltimore, has been plagued by corruption for decades. I feel bad for Mayor Brandon Scott. An honest man trying to do good in Baltimore has his back against the wall and few allies. I'm happy to see he got so much support nationally. "Let's go Brandon" ;) :D
Maybe, he should shorten his name to Don...no, on second thought that won't work either ;):rolleyes:

I have probably stepped in a minefield with the above statement
I don't think so. You call it like you see it.

Personally, speaking I love Christmas, but it is not about gifts.

I stopped buying gifts for everyone except my grandsons and my wife. I secretly give my son a PC game on Steam. He won't buy the newest and most expensive games for himself. He waits for them to be discounted. He is a good boy, and he deserves a new game twice a year, on his birthday and at Christmas.

We do buy all the kids chocolates and something little on Saint Nicholas Day. Aldi has European chocolates; my wife likes them. They can be hung on the Christmas tree and this year we have Halmark Saint Nicholas ornaments for them all.

My grandsons get cash, Christmas made easy.

I love Christmas. Not so much for the presents or anything -- I buy what I need or want when I need or want it. I do get some clothes and other things from the family and I fund anything from Santa I want :) . But I love giving family members gifts as well as doing treats or other service in the neighborhood and charity donations and that sort of thing. But I like the spirit of it and the anticipation and the family time.

We get together on Christmas Eve for a Norwegian-American dinner and then to watch "Santa" bring a gift for each child. We've done this as larger family units (cousins etc) but as the family grows the units get smaller or more condensed and local. And on Christmas Day we meet at my parents' (now my mom's) house for a family dinner.

I like the decorations, the memories, the traditions, as well as, and especially, the meaning of Christmas. I enjoy a few Christmas movies. As a kid we lived for the Sunday night specials Christmas Movies (before cable, VHS, etc when you had to wait for the big 3 to roll out the traditional movies).

PSA: Remember that the "12 Days of Christmas" START on DEC 25 and end on Jan 5, culminating in Epiphany/3 Kings Day on Jan 6. It's tradition in Scandinavia to put up the tree on the 24th. Though my mom always does it soon after Thanksgiving. We leave our tree up until at least Epiphany but often another week or three. This early start to Christmas sucks. There shouldn't be Christmas music and decorations and crap in stores and the radio and all that until, at a minimum, after Thanksgiving and better until Dec 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back