Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nightcap Flo, I need it.
So I get home from work with a 3 day weekend ahead to find out the dishwasher doesn't work and my wife had to do the dishes by hand. Sounds like the washer works fine as I sit down with a nasty look on my wifes face. So what is or isn't doing and all I get is it's not working. After checking things seems it doesn't want to go into wash cycle. Off to Youtube looking for possible fixes I saw a few on cleaning it out. After cleaning the filter and screen I went to the discharge hose to make sure all was good. The last thing was pulling the discharge pump to make sure that was clear. All clear so filled the sump with water to prime the system and started running, but part way through it quit.
Next I found a video on doing a diagnostic test and it would run each component to see if it was working. Did this twice to be sure and everything was good.
Tried to run the cycle and all is good, running now like nothing happened. Don't know if something was sticking and when I was able to run each component individually that it did something, not sure.
When all else fails hit it with a hammer!!!

I like cruise ships. Somehow I don't think I like this one.

thumbnail.jpg

As they used to be.

'Himalaya' in Sydney

Himalaya in Sydney 1967.jpg

When all else fails hit it with a hammer!!!
David, I see you over in MRH’s new diner. Ask if their waitress Flo is a relative to our Flo? Very surprised Joe Fugate added a diner as he was always opposed to the suggestions. But naming it for Rick Wade a former regular, good guy and superb modeler is a nice touch. That of course is done here for Running Bear, who passed before my involvement here. Also one of the lounges on the Railroad-line forums called Geezers Lounge is named as a memorial to a super nice guy.

I belong and interact with 3 daily forums and belong to a few others where I mainly just check them out but seldom interact

Model railroading is fun

I haven't either, but It will be on my movie list this year.

You guys have me amped up to get this Christmas season going! :D
Enjoy the lead up Mike. I love Christmas but not the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I could do without the music till about the 21st.

I used to love Christmas Eve day starting about noon when we got out of work. We weren’t quite living pay check to pay check those first years 10-15 years but close. One of the window companies I worked for gave out the Christmas bonus on noon Christmas Eve. If you didn’t work that day it would be in your pay check on January 15th. I would get the bonus, head to the credit union and deposit 1/2 and head to the stores for present buying. So many cheap stocking stuffers, including lighters and cartons of cigarettes for Terry who used to smoke a 1/2 pack a day. I still buy stocking stuffers on Christmas Eve but it’s not as fun as I remember.

David, I see you over in MRH’s new diner. Ask if their waitress Flo is a relative to our Flo?

Model railroading is fun

If she is the same Flo she is moonlighting on three Forums I know. Maybe the pay and tips are poor?

Myself. I am on two UK rail Forums, one Shipspotting and a canal boats Forum.

Then I have my other interests.
North East Transport. I used to be Assistant Treasurer before Dawn became ill.
Member of Medway Queen Preservation Society - Paddle Steamer.
Member of Waverley Route Heritage Railway Association.

I think that is enough to contend with. 😀

Good morning from San Antonio. It’s the 3rd and last day of golfing. I am having a good time and playing ok. Hit enough good shots to want to come back…

The plan was to leave Saturday but I was offered a ride home leaving around 9pm tonight. The son is off on business so I had never planned to go back to Austin to stay with him for a few days. I was to meet Saturday for breakfast with the resort‘s Sales rep, the GM of the place and the director of golf to go over our visit. Also to hear the proposal for this group to return in 2024. The place is great and the course superb but the weather in November has been outstanding and a huge Texas selling point. I will check this morning to see if we can meet today. I’d rather go home than stay another night.

But since I accepted the tournament director’s job for the next 3 years I may have to stay. The lady who was the organizer for these outings has health issues and resigned this past Summer. We offered the job to my daughter but due to family and $$$ offered she said no. Same with her friend Sara. So, I filled in to help out. But, I developed a plan with help from the previous organizers and the board accepted it. Now with a contract and a decent budget for a full time staff the guys can have their 16 events per year. These corporate honchos may be big in their areas of expertise but damn they have been cheap when it came to paying staff.

The ScaleTrain bag of 15 freight cars has been resolved. More weathering to do and now with a name. I always put a sticker with the owners name on each box and the daughter did that for me last night. It’s a just in case thing.

The daughter and her friend are building some additional frame work and adjusting some of the current stuff on the layout for me. They did call me yesterday and asked how to power up the layout. They have both run test trains before but that’s when I had the NCE system I was borrowing. Both girls brought helpers along yesterday in the form of my 9 year old grandson and Sara‘s 11 year old son. I’m told the boys had fun while the mom’s were playing framing engineers!

Enjoy the day

The daughter and her friend are building some additional frame work and adjusting some of the current stuff on the layout for me. They did call me yesterday and asked how to power up the layout. They have both run test trains before but that’s when I had the NCE system I was borrowing. Both girls brought helpers along yesterday in the form of my 9 year old grandson and Sara‘s 11 year old son. I’m told the boys had fun while the mom’s were playing framing engineers!
It's great that family members (and obviously close friends of theirs) are so involved in the hobby, you're a lucky man

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 43° after a miserable day yesterday. Temperature started dropping before dawn and it started misting and sprinkling off and on all day. North wind was around 12 mph for parts of the day but dropped off before sunset. Rain total in the morning was 0.12" and then after sunset it was an additional 0.25", so not much. Enough to eliminate all outdoor activity and make the weekly grocery trip proceed much slower.

Regarding the grocery trek, it was the first time that I really got to try out the automatic feature of the windshield wipers that I discovered on our return vacation trip. Great feature that I had never seen before. I can definitely get used to it. I still wonder about the sensor that detects the amount of moisture on the windshield? What/where is it? It certainly isn't a fixed wipe rate, and it varies by the amount there. Passing an 18 wheeler sets off a frenzy that calms down once out of range.

Meanwhile I am getting used to the new "normal" prices in the grocery store. They won't go down, they never will. I know that it is the new (unnamed) economic policy that is being touted across America. I'm not too sure that my Social Security raise will cover that and more. Fortunately I don't have to depend on it. Gasoline prices around this area seemed to have stabilized at $2.75/gal. Store was crowded, mainly with folks older than me, yes there are many. However two manned check-outs were open and I experienced a less than 2 minute wait. Meanwhile the self-checkouts were jammed and I got through my line faster than some waiting in the queue for those spots! And there are 14 self-checkouts in the end of the store where I was, six on the other end. I wonder why some folks put up with that?

While I did spend time out in the train shed yesterday, I only ran trains. I absentmindedly left the north window open Wednesday night and the heaters off, so it was too chilly for modeling. I don't do any modeling when I have to wear long sleeves, either on the layout of the workbench, as the sleeves always snag something that either breaks or gets lost when it hits the floor. It should be toasty out there today.
Here are a few scenes from the archives to keep you entertained.
12-23-18 008.001.JPG

03-16-19 003.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

David - Since my wood-burning stove is an air-tight controlled draft heater, there is no smell of burning wood inside the house; except when I load it. Even when I operate it 24 hours a day, that's usually just 2-3 times a day. If fully loaded with the air inlet on a low setting, it can and does go for more than 14 hours before it needs reloading. I usually just load every 8 hours when I am at home, and just don't fill it up. Coals actually will last for up to 36 hours but don't provide much heat without a fresh wood supply.
Tom O - Yes, San Antonio's weather pattern is usually different from ours much of the time. It's generally warmer in the fall through the spring, but cooler in the summer. They generally experience higher humidity levels than I do. Austin's weather is closer to ours, but it doesn't get as cold in the winter and can occasionally get hotter. They also have a higher humidity level than I do.
Karl - I too found some "lost" detail parts that I will be reckoning with shortly. I'm still looking for the 5 missing bicyclists.

Louis - I see where Marilyn Mosby's Karma finally got back to her.

Yes, today is the Marine Corps Birthday. A proud salute to all Marines out there.

Everybody have a great day, I am seeing the sun now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back