Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squad Leader is a great game. I never played Advanced Squad Leader. My first Avalon Hill game was Afrika Korps an easy game to start with and a lot of fun! If I remember correctly, I have Tactics II, War at Sea, Midway, Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Arab Israeli Wars, Magic Realm, and my favorite Third Reich. I know I must have a few more, but those are the ones I played the most. Now I want to look in my attic.

Later I got into Dungeons and Dragons for a while. Then I stopped playing games all together. Until I had my kids to play with, mostly popular board games like Monopoly. My youngest grandson still loves to play Masterpiece.

Avalon Hill's Magic Realm was the best role-playing game I ever played.

My first AH game was a friend's copy of "Luftwaffe". I then got Panzer Blitz and later Panzer Leader and Arab Israeli Wars though I later sold them. Those three were all based on the same game system. I also had a few others like Tobruk. I need to go find them -- they're in a box somewhere. I later got into Squad Leader and as I said eventually ended up with 2 copies of everything but the last one, "GI: Anvil of Victory." Later they came out with Advanced Squad Leader and I bought the rules and a few of the modules but have never played.

We also played games from SPI as well as two games from a company called Battleline -- "Dauntless" and "Air Force" which were air to air WW2 games. Avalon Hill eventually bought them per something I am reading online but we had the originals.

We later also got into D&D and AD&D in 8th grade (before the AD&D books were released except the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual, so we kind of played a hybrid Basic D&D and AD&D until the later books. We played a ton of this throughout High School and I have been trying to get my kids interested. We've played a little 5E though 1E is still my favorite.

I had this delivered (free shipping) for $225.26 + sales tax from Home Depot

I've seen some other listings online in the same or cheaper price range

I'm not familiar with that game. I've never played any cold war era game. I have played the original Hearts of Iron (WWII) several times. The only way for the Germans to win is to capture Moscow quickly to force Stalin to accept peace terms. Otherwise, when the red armies from Siberia and other parts of the east arrive in the European theater it's all over. The sheer numbers are overwhelming. That combined with the endless supply of American equipment and armaments sealed the fate of the German army.

Hearts of Iron computer game is quite cool. They use the same (or a variant or offshoot) system for games like Universalis Europa (play any country in scenarios from like 1400s on)... And expansions or offshoots of the system for games like Stellaris (space exploration)

I stay away from computer games. They're hugely addictive for me so for now I stay away.

Steel Panthers was awesome back when it was available.

I discovered them on my new to me 2017 Mazda6. when wiper switch in auto mode, sensor detects moisture & away they go. Real PITA. So, after disabling said feature, the auto mode now reverts to normal adjustable intermittent. Now I control wipers, Not automation. Sheesh.

The one thing I like on our cars is the automatic windshield wipers. In my Audi I can still control the on off of them manually if I want as the auto washers work only when set to intermittent. But I can still adjust the interval I think if they go on and stay on (vs just once or twice).

The dog has officially taken over my recliner 🤣 🤣 🤣
IMG_1012.jpeg

A week ago over the week end my son and I got the boiler for the snow melt system / backup radiant heat source mounted on the wall and we got the exhaust flue and fresh air (concentric pipes) mostly installed. After getting that installed it looks like we may need to move the boiler over an inch. We had to get the flue piping in as the insulation guys were there last week and sprayed in the closed cell high density insulation in the house. In the garage it is just a 1" nominal to seal and this week they will blow in fiber of some sort in the garage.

71979237278__43C79566-8FF0-45D4-BEA7-C2436256F237.jpeg71981105977__5908BEBA-486B-457B-A395-834F964398D6.jpeg

Last week the spray foam guys were there and put a nominal 3-4" layer in the complete house ceiling as well as a 1" layer to seal the garage, in the small entryway, and in the cold storage under the porch. Then last week another team showed up and started stuff R-38 batts into the ceiling. They got most of the 24" joist space done and just need a small amount of 24" and all the 16" joist spaced batts (doing it today) and that team will also blow the fiber insulation into the garage and entryway and put smaller bats in the cold storage as well as mineral wool in the walls in the basement music room. Their truck could only hold so-much of the batts and they installed basically all they had last Friday (on bundle was left for today).

IMG_3658.jpegIMG_3657.jpegIMG_3668.jpegIMG_3667.jpeg

Over the weekend we started laying the 1" special foam insulation on the main floor floor. This has nubs that hold the radiant pex tubing (1/2" ID) down. We got the master bedroom 2/3 done, the master bathroom, the laundry room, my daughter's room, and 3/4 of the son's room. The two rooms we didn't completely finish is because the ceiling insulation in those corners of the rooms were not done yet (16" spaced) and we didn't want to put the floor insulation down before the ceiling so that it doesn't get damaged by their ladders etc. The pic of the master bedroom has funny perspective as its about 2/3 done but looks a lot less in the pic.

We still have the walk in closets, the non master bathroom, hallway, and the main kitchen/family/dining room and the mud room and pantry to do. Need to get it done this week and try and get the tubing down. Busy week. Once the tubing is down the gypcrete guy can come in.

IMG_3671.jpegIMG_3672.jpeg

Good morning gang!

A little overcast but 59° this morning, heading to 74° later before the rain comes this evening. Then we cool off a bit. It's seasonal ya know!

Flo, can I gat a scrapple, egg and cheese sammich this fine day?

Heard a little drip in the bathroom this morning, The flexible feed pipe to the commode started leaking, so a pan was put under it after drying and the water to it was shut off. So a trip to HD today for a new line. Oh the joy of home maintenance!

BBL
I picked up a 6 lb loaf of scrapple from my local Mennonite grocery, who special ordered it from a supplier in Lancaster County. I sliced it off & packed in in 1 pound bags. Put 2 in the fridge & the rest in the freezer. Anywhere else looks at me like I have 3 heads if I ask for Scrapple or porkroll.

Good afternoon Aspiring TV Repair Persons, Weather watchers, and Gamers.

Surprising 73° and sunny right now. Weather people assumed the fog and drizzle would remain, but it didn't. Coastal Flood warning (because of Saturday's full moon), ended at 1400. MIL is still in the hospital, and when I finish, I'm off to the train room.

Weather is supposed to get significantly cooler later in the week. When? Depends on your favorite weather source.
HVAC guy will be here tomorrow for the fall service check.

We had our RSV shots this morning. This injection was noticeable from the get go, and right now, my arm is starting to throb, in the injection area. I hope all these chemicals work as intended, and do no further damage.

Later.

Anywhere else looks at me like I have 3 heads if I ask for Scrapple or porkroll.
Not for nothing Mike, around here, only the ACME has more than one brand of Scrapple. ShopRite only sells Parks, out of Baltimore. OTOH, ya gotta ask for Taylor Ham or ya get nuttin. ;) Unfortunately, for me, both are on the verboten list, along with Hot Dogs, Italian Sausage and Kielbasa. :(👎😾 Too much sodium.

Well howdy there internet peeps and those with stinkbugs

It's Troy again...

Have the bachelor life going for another few hours. Wife is down in Indy with a rental car (we have one car total). Work friends from California flew into our neck of the woods, so she's having a "girls weekend" with them. they both fly back today, so I'm on pick-up duty whenever she drives back here to return the rental car.

As for Avalon Hill and Advanced Squad Leader, we've got a chap over on our NoDice No Glory blog who actively plays and does write ups about it. There is an active tourney scene.

It's not a game I'm into, but I enjoy editing his posts. You can find them here:

Currently 47° F degrees here. Going to chilly and rainy for the next few days.

My new favorite weather guesser guy on the U-tubez (Ryan Hall, Y'all) says get used to cold and chilly in the midwest. Rain and Snow are coming our way.

On another note, I tried making a Manhattan last night. I used new Gallo Sweet Vermouth, and my current bottle of Bulleit Rye. But the bitters were fairly old. Probably over 4 months. Did not like the Manhattan and dumped it. Might try it tonight without the bitters and see if that makes a difference.

Anyone have any idea how long Bitters last? Do I need to fridge them once opened? I don't do many cocktails but I'm trying to learn.

Do bitters need to be refrigerated? Bitters are made from a strong alcoholic spirit infused with natural flavorings. The high alcohol content means that bitters do not need to be refrigerated as they are shelf-stable at room temperature. Once opened, a bottle of bitters should be kept in an upright position in a cool, dark place.

I picked up a 6 lb loaf of scrapple from my local Mennonite grocery, who special ordered it from a supplier in Lancaster County. I sliced it off & packed in in 1 pound bags. Put 2 in the fridge & the rest in the freezer. Anywhere else looks at me like I have 3 heads if I ask for Scrapple or porkroll.

Scrapple and pork roll (Taylor Ham) are 2 of my favorite things! In fact there is a local convenience store chain (Royal Farms) near me that makes a good breakfast sandwich. I got one last Saturday, Bacon, eggs, cheese and scrapple on a sub roll! Kept me going until lunch!!

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with several chores then removed the clamps from the first side of the crane and glued and clamped the second side. I also sprayed detain parts on one side. I'll do the other side tomorrow. Yesterday the pool pump froze up, so SIL came out and took it apart and unfroze it. I have it running now. He showed me how to unfreeze it if I need to. He was a pool and spa tech years ago.

Willie- Thanks for the photos.

Joe- Ouch!

Karl- Great news about the TV but it's always something with a home.

Smudge- Good to see not all of the idiot drivers live in the US.

Mike- I bet she is the bestest girl and deserves your chair! :D

Chad- Looks like you're making great progress. Are you on schedule?

I hope everyone has a good day.

Chad- Looks like you're making great progress. Are you on schedule?

No. But I'm trying to get everyone to show up and do their part and get it all done asap so we can catch up some. Our schedule from the bank was NOv 17. No way that is happening. But if we execute well we can be done enough for occupancy by Christmas (end of Dec). There will still be finish work to do but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back