Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Warmer and sunny with scattered clouds today, beautiful. Went to Timonium train show yesterday and scored this wide curved switch; Shinohara 100 code rail:
IMG_20231015_104655359.jpg

This will replace Peco turnout on the outside curve of passenger station. Peco curve switch will go in to freight section since that is on the inside loop. Shinohara will deffinitely improve the look of large passenger power coming into the station:
IMG_20231015_104745342.jpg
IMG_20231015_104751362.jpg

Greetings to another railfan from the forum i've met with yesterday, nice to put a face with avatar.

Good morning. Warmer and sunny with scattered clouds today, beautiful. Went to Timonium train show yesterday and scored this wide curved switch; Shinohara 100 code rail:View attachment 175420
This will replace Peco turnout on the outside curve of passenger station. Peco curve switch will go in to freight section since that is on the inside loop. Shinohara will deffinitely improve the look of large passenger power coming into the station:
Greetings to another railfan from the forum i've met with yesterday, nice to put a face with avatar.
Wow, that's huge!

What's the radius on that?

Good morning everyone.

I went to the garage this morning all set to cut some plywood sub roadbed. Made the first couple of cuts, and my 35YO Black and Decker jigsaw gave it up. It got instantly hot and started to emit smoke. It is toast! Guess I got my monies worth out of the old girl.

I guess it's off to go shopping!

Greetings to all robotics technicians and VPN victims out there. Happy Sunday! only 15 Shopping days remaining until Halloween:

I am seriously considering installing a VPN on my Internet Network, to confuse the Blackout Bots employed to protect the cable companies, and to confound the location bots that track your internet purchases. What holds me back, are the consequences of my installation, on the rest of my affairs....

Did not make it to Timmonium again this year, between the rain, the reactions to the vaccines, and my general dislike of three hour one way drives on weekends. I perused several model railroad web sites, and didn't see anything that interested me...Could it be I have reached my saturation point?

Low this morning, 49°; Currently 60°, cloudy with Northwest wind. Predicted high 63°, tonight's predicted low 42°. Suddenly, it's not summer. Meanwhile Public Works has announced Curbside leaf pick-up begins November 6, and ends December 2.

Our local Volunteer Fire District is showing off it's new toy, a 1.3 million dollar Pierce Quint, with a 106' main ladder, and a 2000GPM pump. (750 gallon booster tank?). It replaces a Quint Tower, with a 100 foot ladder, and very low engine hours. Most use over the last 10 or so years since they bought it, was as a platform for Santa Claus to ride through the neighborhoods. Very little actual Truck Company usage here, most times it doesn't even roll for boxes within the local district. Just a new shiny object to show off at parades.

I have got to put in more effort toward finishing the layout. Sitting at the computer won't do it. I worked on the crossing project last night, propped up the phone and watched the Pittsburgh - Calgary game while cutting and pasting sidewalk, and running clearance test trains. I'm also working on a structure to complete the back scene. It would be nice to actually finish something.

Later!

Afternoon all

Got the toilet installed and the basement and the bathroom cleaned up and ready again for use yesterday. Also had numerous interruptions due to needing to attend a football game that the local granddaughter was cheering for.

Today, got the son's kitchen finished up with replacing the trim and moving the appliances back into position. I've gotten the yard mowed, laundry done and the rest of the base trim completed. Started the toe kick and once it's in place, I can do the quarter round and finally be competed with this project. Right now taking a break

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out the day at 69F and comfortable. Today I unloaded the car and put stuff away, then did the usual Sunday chores.

We cancelled the tile laying today and tomorrow. Yesterday the skunk show went well but long. We only took our youngest skunk but she got 2 second place ribbons. Kathy also did well with her embroidery and quilts for sale. We didn't get home until late after stopping at Publix for takeout food from the deli.

Chet- Congratulations on the new addition and great family photos. It looks like you have 2 great co-pilots.

TomO- I hope Terry feels better very soon.

Snowman- That sounds like quite the project.

Mike- That's good news. When I was buying lumber, I was lucky to have a pickup.

Willie- I really like the empty lot with all the debris.

Troy- Nice looking door.

Mac- That is a huge turnout and a nice-looking steamer.

I hope everyone has a good night.

RANT: The NFL needs to push the kickoff spot back 10-15 yards! Sick and tired of seeing the ball sail into the end zone with no runbacks. What a waste of everyone's time and special teams effort!

Cleveland is leading San Fran in the third - does my heart good!

BASEBALL - Still trying to believe the two 3 and out of both the Birds and Dodgers?

I need to do mine. I did them preliminarily back in April so I could estimate what I needed to send in but was waiting for some documents from my side businesses (yes I am responsible for getting those documents created). I got those done in September so need to update my 2022 taxes and file and probably pay a little :(
Chad, as you know it is always those details that bog us down.

I can't imagine with all you have on your plate how you can get everything done.

I ended up owing $115 to the IRS. This is the first year I underestimated. I like it better when I overpay in April, than they owe me. I'll find out how they handle the fees and interest. It can't be too much, I hope.

But then the jokesters in DC are using your money interest-free for all of their pork-barrel projects.
WILLIE - Since the taxes have to be paid by April 15th - I do not see that Louis did not do anything wrong ? He played it about as close to the vest as possible. Wish I had been that close!
I got hit with $135 in penalties for not having enough paid in ahead.
First time in my life that I've had to pay a late fee and penalty.

LOUIS - You may have to shell out a couple dollars - not much!

WILLIE - Since the taxes have to be paid by April 15th - I do not see that Louis did not do anything wrong ? He played it about as close to the vest as possible. Wish I had been that close!
I got hit with $135 in penalties for not having enough paid in ahead.
First time in my life that I've had to pay a late fee and penalty.

LOUIS - You may have to shell out a couple dollars - not much!
Because I receive a South African Pension, I usually pay the tax man a extra £800 every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back