Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
th-3795061174.jpg

>"I noticed that we haven't seen Joe today, I wonder how he is doing in all of the rain in that area."<

Willie: I'm OK, other than being house bound, and not walking since Friday, 9/22. Since Saturday 9/23, it has rained every day except Wednesday. My back yard gauge showed over 8" in that period. Other than poor drainage areas, and small stream flooding, we were unscaved. Along the coast the waters threatened at high tide, with the full moon.

Friday's rains were intense. In NYC, the biggest problem was the water had no place to go...the storm sewers are still not cleaned, some from Sandy in 2012...It was a low priority for DiBlasio, and the current Mayor is somewhat overwhelmed. TV last night, mostly PIX 11 showed people in neighborhoods using rakes to clean storm sewers in their block(s). Again, coastal areas of Brooklyn, Queens and SI had tidal flooding, but most of it was in areas with poor drainage, or suburban areas with no drainage.

Keep in mind, this is our dry season, normally.

Otherwise, I have been watching pre season Hockey and listening to baseball games on Sirius Radio, plus working on the Railroad.

I like the Diner when it’s cleaned up. Thanks Terry

Different gas prices have many possible reason but mostly I was told years ago its location has a huge say.

In WIsconsin there is a minimum amount that MUST be charged above wholesale. Wisconsin biggest gas station/Cstore owner is called QuikTrip. They also have stores in Minnesota called QuikStar and QT in others. We have been traveling throughout WIsconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Illinois this week. The prices at those stores seem to be $3.39 per gallon to $3.89. The station we buy from is called Casey’s. They are based in Iowa and were seen in all the same states named above. $3.59 was the lowest we saw or at least remember.

When I was on the road selling to C-stores and gas stations one of the owners told me he had 40+ stations. All gas was purchased at the same terminal for the same Price for all his locations. Since they were separate locations the distance from the terminal was a cost factor. But the location was #1. If it was in a wealthy area he would charge more. If it was in a poor area he’d charge even more.

I have lots of conspiracy theories to spout about gas pricing but that’s what they are just theories. Thankfully the car computer says miles per gallon is an average of 46.2. Not bad and compared to Terry’s 2 seater sitting in the garage is just about double what she gets

Morning all,

67° and clear in Doo-Dah this morning, going for a record high of 93° later.

TomO: We have Casey's here Locally charging $3.65. QuikTrip in Wichita is based out of Tulsa, OK.I thought your Wisconsin based was KwikTrip\Kwikstar, as I worked with their IT department about 9 years ago when I was working for a company that deals with network storage arrays. Not the brightest group of IT folks. It was a couple of the QuikTrip stores and a couple of the Casey's that had the gas for $3.36 yesterday on Wichita's west side. While I did fill up, those stations are 20 miles from my home, so it's not really cost effective for me to go there to fill up. Sam's club a mile away was $3.46 at the same. Some sort of gas war I guess.

Stay safe in your travels. I'll have to get back to the Eisenhauer Museum. It's been about 20 years since I have been there.

Rabbit Rabbit
Well howdy there internet peeps and those who wonder where Jaz got off to.

It's Troy again...

And I did a stupid. Had a free morning yesterday so I upgraded the MacBookPro's OS to Sonoma from Big Sur...

And I broke the software I use to write my stories. Yes, I can shift to using MS Word. There are reasons I don't. Mainly because the file is huge for a 20-chapter work, and trying to find places where I want to go back and drop a line or two for a red herring is unwieldy in the extreme.

I've got a ticket in with the software developer. And in the support groups, others have done the upgrade without a problem.

Yep. I've uninstalled my AVG virusscan and rebooted, then reinstalled the wordprocessing software direct from the company's website.

I'm running out of ideas, and time to finish the book. I can't get more than a line or two typed, and the program strokes out, giving me an error window.

Oh, well. More time to paint minis today.

And I did a stupid. Had a free morning yesterday so I upgraded the MacBookPro's OS to Sonoma from Big Sur...

And I broke the software I use to write my stories. Yes, I can shift to using MS Word. There are reasons I don't. Mainly because the file is huge for a 20-chapter work, and trying to find places where I want to go back and drop a line or two for a red herring is unwieldy in the extreme.

I've got a ticket in with the software developer. And in the support groups, others have done the upgrade without a problem.

Yep. I've uninstalled my AVG virusscan and rebooted, then reinstalled the wordprocessing software direct from the company's website.

I'm running out of ideas, and time to finish the book. I can't get more than a line or two typed, and the program strokes out, giving me an error window.
If you have your Time Machine backups from before the upgrade, you can wipe your laptop and reinstall Big Sur, then restore your files to it. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's better than not being able to use your laptop and software.

Good Morning All. Clear and 67° here this morning, expecting 93° today just like yesterday. Cooler weather is forecast for next week starting Wednesday, maybe even a little rain.

Spent the morning yesterday mowing, and shredding leaves for the garden. It's amazing how much the weeds in the unimproved parts of the yard grew with no more rain than we got last month. Then I spent an hour trimming and cubing up a pork butt for the overnight dry marinate for making Carnitas in the crock pot today. I used half of the 8 lb hunk of meat, the other half with the bone went into the freezer for pulled pork in the future. My dry marinade consists of a generous measurement of toasted cumin seeds, lots of minced garlic, chopped Jalapenos, a large handful of homegrown Oregano and ground pepper. It will be seared this morning and placed in the crockpot for a slow 6-8 hour cook. Last nights supper was a mushroom/onion gravy smothered pork chop dish, that I varied by searing the pork chops on the grill instead of the skillet on the stovetop. Quite a successful venture. I also cooked a package of hot dogs on the grill as well, since I didn't want to waste all of that charcoal for just 8 minutes of searing! Hot dogs went into the fridge for use later this week.

Today marks a tragic yet humorous anniversary in my family. On October 1, 15 years ago, my sister's husband set their house on fire. He had just installed a fire pit, on the wooden back porch, and started a fire to test it. He left it to answer the landline phone since my sister had taken their cell to the store. He was walking around in the house with the portable extension when he came back by the patio door to see that the back porch was on fire. He ran out another door and around to the back of the house, by then the wall and roof were on fire as well. So he went to grab the hose and try to put it out himself; not! The hose was stored under the porch and had melted by the time he hooked one end up to the faucet. So he ran back inside to call 911, but the phone that he went to didn't work; he had laid the portable down somewhere without hanging it up and he couldn't find it. Out the door to the next door neighbor's house in desperation, but that neighbor wasn't home. So now with flames visibly coming through the roof, he ran across the street (a good distance since this was an affluent neighborhood), and finally got to a working phone. By the time the fire department got there, one whole end of the house was basically destroyed including the garage where he had his still operational classic 1949 Mercury pick up truck parked. If that wasn't enough, four hours after the fire department left, the fire reignited in the attic. The firemen couldn't access it safely from the burned rubble, so they had to cut a large hole in the wall of a second floor bedroom in the still unscathed part of the house. Insurance company declared it totaled and it had to be demolished. Tragic and humorous at the same time, but no one was injured. Insurance company recovered most of their payout when they sold the land for nearly as much as they paid out.

Typical Sunday agenda today, church pretty much wipes out any useful chore time in the morning, but there will still be a little bit of cooler weather around noon. I should mow a bit more today, since medical stuff will occupy my time the next two mornings and then that chance of rain Wednesday.

Not a lot to report from out in the train shed yesterday. It was basically a clean-up day. I decided that my cardboard pad on the workbench had seen better days and I replaced it.
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG

Boring pictures I know, but it is actually progress for me.
Then I grabbed some detail parts that I had laying around and tidied them up a bit. Some needed a bit of touch-up paint as well.
IMG_0503.JPG

These will hit the layout in the next few days.

David - Congratulations on the anniversary.

Today is Julie Andrews 88th birthday; I didn't know that she was still around!

Everybody have a great day.

Friday's rains were intense. In NYC, the biggest problem was the water had no place to go...the storm sewers are still not cleaned,
Boris I was watching a documentary a few nights ago on the NYC city sewer system. from the 1800's until now. They said 40% percent of the system has been upgraded to a 2 pipe system. One pipe for the sewer the other for clean rainwater runoff.. When it floods the old system can't handle the surge and the one pipe system dumps the sewerage into rivers and the ocean used for recreation, like swimming, fishing etc. This will go on until it's upgraded to a 100% 2 pipe system. I wouldn't go swimming or fishing anywhere near the city.
Swal

Morning all,

67° and clear in Doo-Dah this morning, going for a record high of 93° later.

TomO: We have Casey's here Locally charging $3.65. QuikTrip in Wichita is based out of Tulsa, OK.I thought your Wisconsin based was KwikTrip\Kwikstar, as I worked with their IT department about 9 years ago when I was working for a company that deals with network storage arrays. Not the brightest group of IT folks. It was a couple of the QuikTrip stores and a couple of the Casey's that had the gas for $3.36 yesterday on Wichita's west side. While I did fill up, those stations are 20 miles from my home, so it's not really cost effective for me to go there to fill up. Sam's club a mile away was $3.46 at the same. Some sort of gas war I guess.

Stay safe in your travels. I'll have to get back to the Eisenhauer Museum. It's been about 20 years since I have been there.
Patrick, there was an article in the Milwaukee paper a couple years ago that said they are all family related Kwiktrip/star. I just looked at Wikipedia and it seems the Hansen/Zietlow family split up with the Zietlow’s now the sole family. Also, Wikipedia doesn’t match with the story in the paper I read. Sorry to confuse

As for Casey’s they are growing. They seem to be concentrating on purchasing the small town family run gas stations. We have a newly built (5 years) store that will be considered their medium size store. As they build and remodel they want each store to be the same. Like Kwiktrips if you walk into a medium sized store in Iowa the product placement is the same as a medium Wi or Minnesota store

Eisenhower was nice. #1 so far of the Presidential Museums we have been to is Bush the Elder’s in College Station.

If you have your Time Machine backups from before the upgrade, you can wipe your laptop and reinstall Big Sur, then restore your files to it. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's better than not being able to use your laptop and software.
I stopped using time machine when Mac switched to thunderbolt ports. The new M1 chips and my old usb 2.0 drives didn't like each other.

Now I have drop box and keep all documents backed up there. And my apple id and such are stored in the ios cloud

When I purchased this computer, I just fresh installed all my software and apps to curb all legacy software issues I'd been having.

Good Morning!

It's 30F outside, and it's foggy with a thick coat of frost on the house roofs. I'll need to put on a sweater when I go walk the dog.

I borrowed this photo from an internet rock-hound group I'm a member of:
WesternAustralia.jpg

I find to folds in that rock cut very interesting. It would have been more interesting if the photographer had waited for a train. None-the-less, I think this indicates a very neat background.
Sometimes I feel sad that I have so many hobbies, because I can't seem to zero in on and dedicate 100% attention to any specific interest. It all comes to me on a sporadic basis. Lately, I've been collecting rock finds gathered on the dog walks.
Here's a stone that I find interesting:
09-30-2023_Rock (2).JPG
At this point, I believe it's a Coprolite, or petrified carnivore poo. But, I won't know for sure until I break off a piece and put it under the microscope. Usually, you'll find indications of fossilized animal or plant life; or if it's grainy, it's not poop.

Anyway, that's just another one of my hobbies in the horde of interest's. As a person ages, tough, it's extremely important to keep busy and not be a couch potato. It's also important to always keep learning.

David - A wonderful layout you have. I like the photos you post. Congrats on the 46.
Willie - I didn't find the cardboard photos boring. I also think the first piece of cardboard still had a long life ahead of it. - Nice detail models.
Mike - Happy Anniversary. Personally, I don't celebrate those kind of days, but, my wife is very used to that, and don't expect much.

Well, I suppose I'll get at it. Have a great day, everyone.

Happy October everyone!

It's our 18th year wedding anniversary today. We went out to dinner last night with our daughter and had a great time.

David- congratulations on your anniversary!

Everyone have a safe Sunday.
Congrats on the anniversary. I waved as we drove by yesterday. Brief thoughts about stopping for lunch at Ziggies but with less then 2 hours to home we kept going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back