Running Bear's July 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked a yellow squash, first of the season, not quite ripe but some bottom decay beginning from ground contact. Found a second one developing. No green zucchini yet. maybe that plant was mislabeled? Several surprise tomato plants showing flowers. Probably from last years cherry tomatoes.had to cut the fence I built on the opposite side from where I placed the access. when we were done, I bungied it closed again. If the deer would stay in the woods where they belong, I wouldn't need a fence.

Sinister conspiracy theory - Oil companies/traders want inflation to go up in retaliation for the green energy push by certain politicians that they want out of office.o_O
That's another valid conspiracy theory. Like I said, could be anyone with a lot of idle cash, maybe the go back to the gold standard people from Bourbon Country? I know it's not me... I'm lucky Costco and BJ's discounts gas well below retail. I'm also happy that we only have to fill it up once a month in general. Positive thought: May help raise our COLA?

Ran a few trains today, and cleared enough work space to start the build of the Scott Paper Shipping Building. (A misnomer, because some of the product lines are run in the same building). Need to find a suitable water tower that looks like a super sized roll of toilet paper.

Yesterday's SEPTA misadventure in Southwest Philly:
SEPTA Trolley @ Cobbs Creek Pkwy & Woodland Ave. - 07-25-23 NBC-10.jpg

Intersection of Island Road where it intersects with Woodland Ave, and becomes Cobbs Creek parkway. Trolley derailed and turned sideways, striking structure. SUV in photo, appears to have run into a utility pole, trying to avoid the wayward SEPTA car. 7/28/2003, NBC 10 capture.

Good morning all.

Yesterday was a big gathering of family, some we haven't seen since before Covid. Even 'Baby Sister' arrived. Though not an actual sister, she has been part of our family since she was a toddler. Being seventeen years younger than me she calls me 'her Big Brother'.

A quiet day today, so hoping to see the train room later.

IMG_2555.JPG

David

Good morning from Kenosha, Wi. where killing people with a long gun in the middle of the street riot is legal. Just ask Kyle Rittenhouse. The weather is pleasant
IMG_0799.png
Besides that we are bobbing at the dock in my wife’s childhood bestie, maid of honor and the “older sister” she never had, boat. Did this a few times last Summer but yesterday was a very last minute decision at 11AM. I saw a Taste of Kenosha event and since Terry and I are both enjoyers of Truck foods we went. 116 miles on a easy drive in under 2 hours IF one does not stop at Hiawatha Hobbies on the way and we did not. She called the g/f and she said yeah she’s docked across the channel, we can park there and we can walk over to the Festival. The food, nothing exciting and trending on, just ok! The music on 4 different stages was much better after 6pm then it was between 2-6. Maybe because at 7 we were listening to it from the boat!

Deciding to stay overnight was a wise decision as we stayed at the Festival a couple couple hours longer than anticipated, BS’ed on the boat and all of a sudden it was dark. I can but I prefer not to drive in the dark if I can avoid it at all costs. We always carry fresh travels bags in the car and we do carry our medicines when we are planning to be gone most of a day. That “just in case” stuff started years ago when we got struck in a Northern WIsconsin snowstorm overnight without a fresh change of clothes or my medicines. Now we both take daily meds.

The idea today is to get out of here no later then 3 (subject to change of course) which will give the ladies time to catch up on all the things they haven’t talked about via text or phone from when we all saw each other about 10 days ago! Since both love to fish we are heading out into Lake Michigan a few miles by 8. I have my iPadPro and a book or 2 to read on it. I got a bit more sun than normal yesterday even though I was wearing my hat. Seems the reflection off the water got my face more than normal and I can feel it. But this morning it has not blistered (sun and my meds don’t mix very well) and it’s not uncomfortable. I will be lounging, reading and maneuvering the boat as directed while the ladies fish. From the upper deck and under a canopy I should be based on previous experience ok. I see the Bloody Marys are being taste tested, mine will be a virgin…

pictures of the free trolley from parking to the Festival entrance
IMG_4567.jpeg
IMG_4566.jpeg

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Clear and 71° here. The Weather Underground station around the corner is still on the fritz, but it is no longer -40°F.
1690715799834.png

But it's not 95° feeling like 160°. The weather here will generally be around 105° for the next 9 days, and then possibly rain and 97°. Think of it, rain with a temperature of 97°. We might get some of Hughie or Terry's humidity.

Well, it was actually pleasant enough yesterday morning to get some stuff done outdoors. Besides the usual pool maintenance, I was able to retrieve some fallen smaller branches from a few trees around the yard. I used the weedeater around the perimeter of the house, then came in to empty the dishwasher. While all of this was going on,I had a Chuck Roast in the slow cooker with some home-grown carrots and onions for supper. It was a Nolan Ryan brand Angus Beef chuck roast...very tasty. It's too bad that his beef brand is not available to you guys outside the state of Texas.

Frustrating day out in the train shed yesterday. I chose to fix a problem on the R.J. Frost Ice & Storage building. I don't know if I caused this or not. I know better than to apply decals to bare plastic and I am sure that I dull coated the structure first. But the main large decal has been peeling off in places for years, despite my efforts with Solve A Set and dull coat to fix. However parts of the decal would not come off. Here is where I started after going over the whole thing with a stiff toothbrush.
IMG_0064.JPG

These remaining parts just wouldn't come off. I thought about applying the new one over it, there were two in the original kit and I only used one on the front side, but I decided to remove it all together. What to use??? Water didn't work. Neither did 99% IPA, mineral spirits or Solve-A_Set. Some worked partially. I knew that Acetone would do it, but I was concerned that it would "craze" the underlying plastic. I did use it in the recessed corners with limited success. So I ended up using a single-edge razor blade and an Exacto with a #18 blade to scrape it off. Mostly successful but with a few shallow gashes underneath.
IMG_0065.JPG

Of course I broke off two canopy supports in the process!:mad: The one in the middle came off in one piece and will be easier to fix than the one on the right that broke into three pieces. I thoroughly sprayed Dull Coat over the surface and left it to dry overnight. Applying the decal will be tricky, as it is over 8" long, and it is at least 25 years old. I will cut it in pieces this time and apply separately.
There's a trick to keep it from disintegrating when I use it, but I honestly don't remember what it is. Help anyone! Is it over-spraying with Dull Coat or something similar?

Louis -
It's been about fifty years since the energy crisis of the 1970s and we can still buy new big SUVs that get 15mpg. I see these big SUVs and other inefficient vehicles commuting on I95 every day.
I can remember the energy crisis from 50 years ago; but I can also remember this country being self-sufficient in energy just 3-5 years ago. What do you think happened?
Steve - While I haven't read that book by Jeff Wilson, everything that I ever read by him was very good.
Guy - That is a pretty old caboose from Athearn, well before they started improving the paint and details. Still a good one, probably 20% of my rolling stock is from them in that box.
Troy - Great looking chili. It looks like something that I make. I have a friend who participates in chili cook-offs for big bucks. She once won $10K in Las Vegas. The rules in Texas Chili Cook Offs don't allow any solids in the chili except meat. All seasoning must be powdered. I think that it takes away from the character of the chili.
Peppers and other veggies grown in containers need some real soil or manure in the mix with potting soil. Plus it must be fresh every year. Potting soil alone will work if the proper nutrients are added, Miracle-Grow is a non-organic fertilizer. Honestly, those containers appear to be too small for any real successful veggie growing. The root system of vegetable plants is equivalent in volume to the top growth. Blood meal will not supply calcium, bone meal will. Besides a lack of calcium, uneven watering, either too much or too little will contribute to blossom end rot. It's probably too late in the season to add calcium right now, as it is slow being absorbed into the soil.
Tom O - While I think that all lottery tickets are a waste of money, a single ticket to you or I will not keep food off either of our tables.
Joe - There are several other tricks to deterring deer that you might try. Metal wind chimes will work until they get used to them, use them for about a week and change to hanging shiny pie plates just below head height for a week or so. Then use wooden wind chimes (different noise) for another week followed by an old AM radio on a talk station. Rotate all of these around randomly and see if it helps.There are also more expensive options involving speakers and animal noises (dogs, coyotes etc) interspersed with other noises like bells, whistles and the like. I'd try the first options before investing in some expensive electronic devices, which might disturb neighbors.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, folks!

53F at this time with a high of 75F expected, so it's another perfect day.
Yesterday morning I was down at the creek early, with the morning fog lift and the deer. I like it down there. It's great exercise walking up and down those hills, and I do the walk with the dog twice a day:
BeaverCrk_07-29-2023 (1).JPG

BeaverCrk_07-29-2023 (2a).JPG

It used to be a trout bearing creek until it's course was altered by industry. Big money will always be more important than the fate of the earth. These days, one is lucky to find a Dace swimming in that creek, before it dumps into the Athabaska River.

Perhaps I'll do a wee bit of show-n-tell this morning.
I was playing with my scale vehicles to see what I have. Considering that the layout area only swallows up a 10x12 area of space, I believe I have nearly enough of these vehicles collected:
NewCaboose_07-28-2023 (1).JPG

The vision is to build a village downtown area, and roughly 5-6 industries that will offer switching over the smaller layout. I suppose all of those industries will need roads and vehicles. So, other than industry transport trucks, I should have enough.
I still have a few Sylvan truck and trailer kits that need to be built.

Here a couple railway concerned photos I took over the past week.
A newer box car that has yet to be defaced and an equally new ET44AC locomotive:
Box_UP 700042_07-25-2023 (1).JPG
CN 3279_07-27-2023.JPG

Joe - I forgot to thank you for explaining what those track detail photos were all about. I appreciate the input.

TomO - Can you please send Kyle Rittenhouse over to the local rail yard. There are some artists hanging around there who should meet him.

Willie - I know that blue box caboose is old, but, it's still in perfect shape and I like it. Price tag on the box is $4.00. I paid considerably more. It seems that these days, a new high quality caboose can't be bought for under $100.00.

Well, I guess that's all. Time to walk that dog, so I'd better make tracks. Another day then!

Well howdy, there internet peoples and those lounging on boats with good views.

It's Troy again.... and I had a brain fart between blood meal and bone meal... I located both at Lowes' garden center, and got the blood meal. My wife is a medical lab tech. When we opened the bag I peered in and made a comment about dried blood.

She looked up and said "what? you expect that to gross me out?"

As soon as I read Willie's post above, I smacked my head and went yep... BONE meal.

At least the blood meal bag says good for veggies. And I get a nice view when she's gardening.
Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 10.31.36 AM.png

As for the containers: wife bought them because they have the water pans underneath, and the roots grow down into the pans. She cleans them out each spring, and adds fertilizer.

As for fresh soil, the manufacturer of the pots says you don't need to, but I suspect he wants to sell his special fertilizer. I'll pass on what you said. But, it's her hobby, not mine. And I fight her for patio space. It's my area to come sit in the shade, look at the trees, etc. If she didn't have the vegetable boxes, I'd have the entire patio under canopies, with a water feature, LED string lights, etc.

But our lack of airflow (being in a row of connected townhomes and 6ft privacy fences) and the SW exposure means I lose a couple of months of afternoon and evening sitting due to the easy bake oven effect of having to have sun on the patio for the garden.

Been playing with book cover designs for my new series. Something has been missing. Took until this morning, after I went down several false rabbit trails, before I figured out a way around the dilemma.

I needed to have something on the cover to show the paranormal (magical) nature of the mystery, but not give away the plot. Something to let a casual reader know, oh, there's pixies and witches and such.
Tryptic.jpg

Here's two days' worth of farting around. Books 1 and 2 were mostly designed. But I had to get the theme figured out for the series before I could lock in book three's design.

now I have to go update all the stores.

Good Morning All. Clear and 71° here. The Weather Underground station around the corner is still on the fritz, but it is no longer -40°F.
View attachment 172230
But it's not 95° feeling like 160°. The weather here will generally be around 105° for the next 9 days, and then possibly rain and 97°. Think of it, rain with a temperature of 97°. We might get some of Hughie or Terry's humidity.

Well, it was actually pleasant enough yesterday morning to get some stuff done outdoors. Besides the usual pool maintenance, I was able to retrieve some fallen smaller branches from a few trees around the yard. I used the weedeater around the perimeter of the house, then came in to empty the dishwasher. While all of this was going on,I had a Chuck Roast in the slow cooker with some home-grown carrots and onions for supper. It was a Nolan Ryan brand Angus Beef chuck roast...very tasty. It's too bad that his beef brand is not available to you guys outside the state of Texas.

Frustrating day out in the train shed yesterday. I chose to fix a problem on the R.J. Frost Ice & Storage building. I don't know if I caused this or not. I know better than to apply decals to bare plastic and I am sure that I dull coated the structure first. But the main large decal has been peeling off in places for years, despite my efforts with Solve A Set and dull coat to fix. However parts of the decal would not come off. Here is where I started after going over the whole thing with a stiff toothbrush.
View attachment 172238
These remaining parts just wouldn't come off. I thought about applying the new one over it, there were two in the original kit and I only used one on the front side, but I decided to remove it all together. What to use??? Water didn't work. Neither did 99% IPA, mineral spirits or Solve-A_Set. Some worked partially. I knew that Acetone would do it, but I was concerned that it would "craze" the underlying plastic. I did use it in the recessed corners with limited success. So I ended up using a single-edge razor blade and an Exacto with a #18 blade to scrape it off. Mostly successful but with a few shallow gashes underneath.
View attachment 172239
Of course I broke off two canopy supports in the process!:mad: The one in the middle came off in one piece and will be easier to fix than the one on the right that broke into three pieces. I thoroughly sprayed Dull Coat over the surface and left it to dry overnight. Applying the decal will be tricky, as it is over 8" long, and it is at least 25 years old. I will cut it in pieces this time and apply separately.
There's a trick to keep it from disintegrating when I use it, but I honestly don't remember what it is. Help anyone! Is it over-spraying with Dull Coat or something similar?

Louis -

I can remember the energy crisis from 50 years ago; but I can also remember this country being self-sufficient in energy just 3-5 years ago. What do you think happened?
Steve - While I haven't read that book by Jeff Wilson, everything that I ever read by him was very good.
Guy - That is a pretty old caboose from Athearn, well before they started improving the paint and details. Still a good one, probably 20% of my rolling stock is from them in that box.
Troy - Great looking chili. It looks like something that I make. I have a friend who participates in chili cook-offs for big bucks. She once won $10K in Las Vegas. The rules in Texas Chili Cook Offs don't allow any solids in the chili except meat. All seasoning must be powdered. I think that it takes away from the character of the chili.
Peppers and other veggies grown in containers need some real soil or manure in the mix with potting soil. Plus it must be fresh every year. Potting soil alone will work if the proper nutrients are added, Miracle-Grow is a non-organic fertilizer. Honestly, those containers appear to be too small for any real successful veggie growing. The root system of vegetable plants is equivalent in volume to the top growth. Blood meal will not supply calcium, bone meal will. Besides a lack of calcium, uneven watering, either too much or too little will contribute to blossom end rot. It's probably too late in the season to add calcium right now, as it is slow being absorbed into the soil.
Tom O - While I think that all lottery tickets are a waste of money, a single ticket to you or I will not keep food off either of our tables.
Joe - There are several other tricks to deterring deer that you might try. Metal wind chimes will work until they get used to them, use them for about a week and change to hanging shiny pie plates just below head height for a week or so. Then use wooden wind chimes (different noise) for another week followed by an old AM radio on a talk station. Rotate all of these around randomly and see if it helps.There are also more expensive options involving speakers and animal noises (dogs, coyotes etc) interspersed with other noises like bells, whistles and the like. I'd try the first options before investing in some expensive electronic devices, which might disturb neighbors.

Everybody have a great day.
WILLIE ,Testors make a “decal bonder “ spray used to seal ink on decal paper that will work better than dullcote

I can also remember this country being self-sufficient in energy just 3-5 years ago. What do you think happened?
Willie: We still are, and we are also an energy exporter, IE. LNG, Anthracite and Bituminous Coal, plus crude and refined oil products. Which is why I speculate on who or whom is behind the price increases. It's not due to lack of supply, and domestic demand is not overwhelming. And it helps that it reduces our trade imbalance, so it indirectly makes the incumbent administration look better.
My usual whipping person, the visual and print news media, has their own agenda, would rather see us in the midst of some crisis than report anything positive, and are always looking to create fear and trepidation. But, they lack the resources to force the price of refined petroleum products higher.
So it is either another round of "Greedflation", (Love that term), or something sinister. If the price of gasoline keeps rising after mid August, when Summer demand begins to decline, it's more likely to be something sinister. If, it remains flat for an extended period, it's simply more greedflation. If the price begins to decline, then it's following the market. Like everything else connected with Economics, until sufficient data is collected, we won't really know.

I forgot to thank you for explaining what those track detail photos were all about. I appreciate the input.
Guy: I enjoyed seeing the photos. I tend to build my model track the same way they build real track, so I tend to incorporate all the flaws of doing things the "railroad way". They do sell compromise joiners, so one can connect code 83 to code 100 or code 70, as well as adapter sections to make it easier. Caboose Hobbies switch stands somewhat reflect the prototype, but are actually oversized out of necessity.

Troy: When you water the peppers, try just dampening the soil. Blossom end rot starts from the bottom usually, but not exclusively. I think I have mine back under control. I added some additional calcium nitrate and watered it into the tomatoes. Peppers can use the same treatment. Also be careful when you water.

Other causes for gasoline prices to go up. One or more refineries are down or the refineries are undergoing maintenance. This reduces the capacity for refined products to be produced even if the crude stocks are readily available. In some parts of the country, due to political pressures, no new refineries have been built or substantially upgraded for decades, so the existing ones become more expensive to keep running. With the Sox-called heat wave of the last month, I wonder if there are refinery issues somewhere.

also, though less likely I would think this time of year, the gasoline formulations change for the various seasons and as refineries switch over to a new seasonal formulation there can be temporary
Shortages as some refineries are down for the change over.

also some states or regions have their own specific required formulations (Kalifornia is an example) so while gasoline may have normal availability in general, these regions can have temporary shortages as they are drawing from a small pool of refineries that make that formulation and they cannot import fuels from other parts of the country that have excess.

also with summer vacations there may be more people traveling which can locally increase demand l, which may take some time to even out as supplies are redirected to those areas.

or a combination of all of that. I am suspect of all the conspiracy claims. The market is too big and too many players to maintain large conspiracies or “greed” for very long. Someone will see an advantage and break ranks to try and grab market share or sales or whatever.

man’s normal market dynamics can explain it over a length of time, even if there are short term “greed squeezes” or other induced shortages or price aberrations.

Last edited:
A Walk in the Park
Today was too much of a contrast from the last four days to allow to pass indoors. Meanwhile, the wife wanted to check out the farm market at a Township Park a little further than the County park we usually go to. So we get in the car and head over. We parked at the outer lot, so I had to get my walking in, and walked over to the other side of the lake. Farm Market? Not really. Two farm produce vendors, two lunch trucks, about a dozen other miscellaneous vendors. We checked out everything, purchased some fresh local corn, peaches and a cucumber. Local berries are done, I guess. then found a vacant, shaded waterside bench and chilled for the better part of an hour, taking in Nature and the local populace. Nice place, mostly families or fishermen. Found the trail, and are planning on checking that out tomorrow. Sure beats sitting at the computer, or watching Old People TV.

Fifteen MPG SUVs? ;)

Waste not, want not.

I wouldn't advocate telling people what they can and can't buy.

To use these and other inefficient vehicles for one person to commute to work seems stupid to me.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with chores then after that I added a brown wash to the bottom of the pond. After that I found a Plastruct valve that will stand next to the pond, and I put a tube into the side of the pond and painted it. The two will simulate a method of refilling the pond as necessary. MOH should be back home around 6 pm.

David- Glad the family gathering went well.

TomO- Have fun. Neat looking trolley.

Willie- If it was me (and it's not) I would replace all the plastic ones with Tichy Phosphor wire ones especially since they are straight.

Guy- Beautiful scenery. Nice collection of cars and nice 1:1 RR shots.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back