Running Bear's July 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac, my wife tells me Hungary, and Poland share a lot of history. Not only did Poland have a Hungarian Queen, but they had a Hungarian King.
Louis the Great (r. 1342–1382), the second Hungarian king of the Angevin line. Louis became king of Poland from 1370 to 1382. Louis had become popular in Poland because of his campaign against the Tatars and pagan Lithuanians.

Lands ruled by King Louis of Hungary
1690748955290.png

Fifteen MPG SUVs? ;)

Waste not, want not.

I wouldn't advocate telling people what they can and can't buy.

To use these and other inefficient vehicles for one person to commute to work seems stupid to me.
My current ride gets nearly 40mpg. It's a 4 door sedan with automatic transmission.
Now that I have this Uber-MPG car, I moved to within 1 mile of work. I make sure I drive "somewhere" at least 10 miles away and then return once a week, as there's not much worse than starting, driving a mile, and shutting off your engine.

There's a trick to keep it from disintegrating when I use it, but I honestly don't remember what it is. Help anyone! Is it over-spraying with Dull Coat or something similar?
I've always sprayed gloss coat. The decal will slide around easier. I use Micro set on the surface before putting the decal on. After it drys I use Walthers solvaset to snugg it down. After dry gloss coat to blend decal with the base gloss coat. Last step was dull coat to take the shine away. This is the method I used for these long decals on the 4750 grain cars.
IMG_3845.jpg
IMG_4412.jpg

Morning all,

Dropped off my over-priced car insurance premium at the agent's drop box this morning. I am with a mutual company and have always had great service from them. I even worked for them in the past. The 6 month renewal is $20 a month higher than the last 6 months. May be time to start looking for cheaper insurance.

102° yesterday with heat index of 106° and 103° expected today with heat index of 109°. Where's the dry heat?

I did get more apples in the dehydrator yesterday and the final load of laundry for the weekend. Usually do the towels and sheets on Sunday. Mostly I remake the bed after the sheets are clean so I don't have to fold them. I hate folding the fitted sheet. I also managed to get my old Schwinn Cross-fit bike down and serviced. I'm needing to start riding again. I then took it on a trial run. I went about 1/2 mile as I found some leg muscles I forgot I had, but they reminded me they were there. Fortunately, I wasn't stiff this morning. Now if I could just get my neck and shoulder issues stopped...I know then I would be, as the grandson reminds me, an old man.

BBL

Morning all,

Dropped off my over-priced car insurance premium at the agent's drop box this morning. I am with a mutual company and have always had great service from them. I even worked for them in the past. The 6 month renewal is $20 a month higher than the last 6 months. May be time to start looking for cheaper insurance.

102° yesterday with heat index of 106° and 103° expected today with heat index of 109°. Where's the dry heat?

I did get more apples in the dehydrator yesterday and the final load of laundry for the weekend. Usually do the towels and sheets on Sunday. Mostly I remake the bed after the sheets are clean so I don't have to fold them. I hate folding the fitted sheet. I also managed to get my old Schwinn Cross-fit bike down and serviced. I'm needing to start riding again. I then took it on a trial run. I went about 1/2 mile as I found some leg muscles I forgot I had, but they reminded me they were there. Fortunately, I wasn't stiff this morning. Now if I could just get my neck and shoulder issues stopped...I know then I would be, as the grandson reminds me, an old man.

BBL
Fitted sheets dont get folded around here, they get stuffed inside a matching pillow case and stored. Its something I've done since my single days, and one of the 1st "tricks" I taught the wife!

Good Morning All. Around here, it's clear, bright moon and 71°, unless you depend on the local Weather Underground.
1690802507655.png

Not sure why this fellow doesn't fix his equipment, as it's only wrong early in the morning, specifically between 0500 and 0700. But since I don't rely on him and just compare, I guess that it doesn't matter.
NWS has changed their long-range forecast again, and upped that 97° for 8/8 to 100°, thus continuing our projected sweep of triple digits. Right now with yesterday's 106°, that's 15 days in a row, and 20 this month. That and 6 more in June makes just 26 days this year over 100°, still a far ways off of 2011's record of 71.

Across the road to the south, it's almost time for the farmer to combine his milo (sorghum to some) crop. It's healthy enough, but it is suffering greatly from the drought, and weeds are invading it as well.
IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

I'm not really looking forward to the combining process, as it sometimes sends lots of dust and chaff over, a lot of which settles on the pool water. He's normally really cognizant of the wind direction when he works that field, so we might be lucky. He could also do it early in the day, when there is no wind, but that isn't usually likely; for some reason, combining is generally done late. He owns two large combines, so his crew will work pretty fast. They usually do the 80 acre field in about two hours.

Pool temperature is inching up on me, it's now 89°. I need a cloudy day or two to bring it down. Major outdoor activity yesterday was walking 125' each way to the dumpster twice; and walking 125' and back in the opposite direction to the train shed three times. No wind so I got to do the burn trash as well.
Oh! And we have one of the granddogs for a week or so while daughter #2's family visit SIL's family in Virginia.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I returned to the R.J. Frost Ice & Storage building. First, I tested an extra decal on the decal sheet to see if it would disintegrate. The answer is yes. So I took an entirely different approach and simply cut out the decal and glued it and it's paper backing to a piece of .030 styrene.
IMG_0068.JPG

That resolved any issues with the decal.
IMG_0069.JPG

I redid the figures on the rooftop refrigeration unit, since the re-positionable glue wasn't working well.
IMG_0070.JPG

Now to look at the list for my next project, small or large. I'm ready for another large one, but I am making progress on the smaller ones right now.

Guy - Must be really nice to still have a woods like that to walk in. I had one until about 7 years ago when the owner next door fenced it in and posted "No Trespassing" signs.
Nothing wrong with those old Athearn freight cars. Athearn still uses the same molds but they have improved the paint and upped the detail level including metal wheels and knuckle couplers. This was after Horizon bought them.
Troy - Yep, the blood meal is good for veggies, but be careful and use in moderation. It will produce lush green growth at the expense of flowers and fruit. That's desired with things like Spinach and Lettuce, but no flowers on Squash, Peppers or Tomatoes means no veggies.
Karl - thanks for the info on the "decal bonder" spray. I'll have to look for it at the LHS next time. In the meantime, I took a different route; see above.
Curt - I actually could replace all of the roof supports with wire ones, but one came off in one piece so it was an easy fix. I went with carefully repairing the other one because it was easier and this structure is over 3' from the viewers eye and isn't at all noticeable.
Terry - A mile away from work! When I was younger, I would have just walked, weather-permitting. Maybe not so much after age 65 though.
Joe -
Good evening.Coming up on the last day in July, and a new location for the Coffee Shop + Full Moon on August 1.
Yep! Two full moons in August this year, the second will also be a "super" one, thus a "Super Blue Moon" coming up on August 31. Next "Blue Moon" won't be until May 2026.
Patrick - After washing and drying the sheets, they are no longer my responsibility until it's time to put them back on the bed. I don't actually know where the extra sets are stored, as we'll use the same set (washed weekly) for 3-4 months before changing colors.

Everyone have a wonderful day despite it being Monday.

Good Morning All!
57F @ 52%

Just quick stop in today. The boys are doing fine:
IMGP0738.JPG

Was a lazy day yesterday as I had to give my body a rest. Too much twisting and bending in the squeeze parts of the ReDo putting in caulking and insulation. I can stand today for the most part so things should go faster.

Later

Good morning from a cool part of Wisconsin. 63f degrees now heading to 81. The skies are clear, the wind is calm at 1mph and the Air Quality is at 20.

Terry is out riding and I’m not ready to do anything!

The son in law needs some help in his vineyard as his 2 part time helpers this week are working for other farms this week. He has 12 new rows of plantings that were uncovered this weekend. Now they need to be strung up so they can climb. He knows I am good for a row per day, about 350 plants. I have 4 years of practice doing this. He will get at least twice that amount in the same time. I will wander over about 9 and do a row. He uses a twine that after about 3 years breaks down but the vines won’t need the twine‘s help before that. My little bit of help this week will save him a few dollars and get me some physical exercise other then walking or swimming. There are 4 rows for me to work on over the next 4-5 days as he wants to be done Friday!

Terry just came in and turned the TV on and it’s saying oil prices in the US are high now because USA oil production is down because of the heat wave! Seems the wells and refineries cannot produce at capacity because heat slows down the processes!!! Transport both via trucking and pipe lines are down because workers are not showing up due to the heat.

There is a 5pm house meeting today with the contractor. The Gd/son has hockey at 6:30 tonight and I will get a nap in some time this afternoon.

EDIT: went out to the vineyard. Nothing to do. Called the SIL. Got done this weekend as he had help and sorry forgot to let you know? Ok by me!

enjoy the day

Last edited:
Good afternoon all. Another rainy day in the land of the former North British Railway.

Nieuw Statendam leaving Copenhagen

Nieuw Statendam leaving Copenhagen  June 2023.jpg

Preserved Class 5 number 5000 - Black 5 at 'Locomotion' Shildon.

IMG_2334.JPG

LMS locomotive 6149 'Lady of the Lake' at Leeds Sovereign Street Station

IMG_1991.JPG

David

Good morning gang!

Flo, Can I get a big stack for flapjacks with a side of sausage links and a large coffee?

I see Yellow Freight just shut down, I wonder who's next?

More baby steps yesterday, another batch of cork laid , weighted and pinned in place. Ran out of silicone adhesive, another HD trip in my future!

BBL

Good morning, y'all!
Weather - same
Gasoline - up 10 cents over night. Not sure about wells in the heat, but refineries generate a lot of heat in the process, so I seriously doubt heat affects them. Very cold weather yes, hot no.
Trains - took down some of the DC locos that haven't seen track time in a couple of years, ran ran them for a few laps each. My oldest loco, 40 yr. old, didn't move at all. Light came on, but no movement.

I spent 25 years working for Union Carbide.
1690818391727.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good morning gang!

Flo, Can I get a big stack for flapjacks with a side of sausage links and a large coffee?

I see Yellow Freight just shut down, I wonder who's next?

More baby steps yesterday, another batch of cork laid , weighted and pinned in place. Ran out of silicone adhesive, another HD trip in my future!

BBL
Karl: Thought that Yellow became part of YRC 2 or 3 years ago? Could be a case of my unfound or not swimming in the same direction brain cells though.

Later

Afternoon All,

Started out today with a walk at 76F humid but with an occasional light breeze. After laundry and chores, I headed to the train room. I fiddled around for a while and weathered the pump/valve body and the discharge pipe. Tomorrow, I hope to do the first of two pours. The sky is getting very dark, and you can hear thunder in the distance.

Louis- Is it just me that the pink area on the map yesterday looks like a bear?

Tom- Nice job on the hoppers.

Mac- Safe travels and neat bridge photo.

Terry- I shared your meme with my vegan daughter.

Willie- Great fix to the signage.

Todd- Great photo.

TomO= You lucked out. I was informed yesterday that in about a month we are helping daughter lay ceramic tile in one of her bedrooms. :(

David- Great steamer photos. I really like the color on the model.

Hughie- Nice signage.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back