Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished the new shed roof which use to be where my wife started her garden plants when it had a clear fiberglass roof. It's a 60-year-old shed so I had to do a few other repairers. I also got all my bird houses up. My wife likes birds so they have to have a place to stay.
Swal

View attachment 168931View attachment 168932View attachment 168933
Swal: I take it that you do not get much snow where you are at? Not much roof pitch along with more than 24" centers - that would be a 'no go' here. Although ... our house roof is 2x4 on 24" center, but the pitch is some kinda steep - you can not walk on it with out holding on to something. Been here like that for most 80 years with no issues so far along with 5ft of snow on top years ago, 4 ft this year.

Later

Afternoon All,

Started out this morning with the repair guy showing up on time 😲. He was done within an hour and the rest of the day was for working on trees. I have used all the material from the Super Trees box and have made 168 trees from it. The last 15 need the last coat of foliage to be done. Of course you have to provide the foliage that is separate from the box. The initial outlay is expensive but the foliage I have I could probably do another 2 boxes, and I would be surprised if a tree was much more than 75 cents completed. A new box shows up tomorrow, but I think I'll take a couple of days off since I'm a little burnt out.

Karl- It's good to be busy MRR'ing.

Willie- Nice scenes.

TomO- Enjoy your vacation.

Christian- Welcome back.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I did it! The complete story on my Layout Thread

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 1.47.47 PM.png

Because I'll have at least 1 inch of foam on top of it anywhere track runs. Those will be LOOOOOONG track nails to hit the OSB
You're N scale, right? Skip the OSB or ply and just use 1.5" or 2" foam (that high density blue or pink stuff) with periodic cross braces underneath. That foam should be strong enough to hold up your layout in N scale without a hard plate underneath.

My current 8x4 is just a 1" piece of foam with like one cross brace. It works pretty well but I plan on using thicker foam and more cross braces when I do my more permanent layout once the house is done.

Much easier to work with without the hard base beneath

You're N scale, right? Skip the OSB or ply and just use 1.5" or 2" foam (that high density blue or pink stuff) with periodic cross braces underneath. That foam should be strong enough to hold up your layout in N scale without a hard plate underneath.

My current 8x4 is just a 1" piece of foam with like one cross brace. It works pretty well but I plan on using thicker foam and more cross braces when I do my more permanent layout once the house is done.

Much easier to work with without the hard base beneath
I'm concerned about mounting tortoise switches... A wooden under-surface seemed like the best bet, and not trying to install a brace from below after the layout is mostly done.

and my wife is riding me about redesigning and rebuilding the benchwork YET AGAIN!... :eek: STOP SPENDING! So everything is getting reused. Whether I want to or not! :p

I'm concerned about mounting tortoise switches... A wooden under-surface seemed like the best bet, and not trying to install a brace from below after the layout is mostly done.

and my wife is riding me about redesigning and rebuilding the benchwork YET AGAIN!... :eek: STOP SPENDING! So everything is getting reused. Whether I want to or not! :p

I'm not sure how those things mount but I would bet they're easier to mount without the under board -- if you need a stuff board glue some 1/8" ply to the bottom of the foam. But this foam is very stiff. The problem with the under board is now you need to penetrate it for anything you have a lot more work to do.

I'm not sure how those things mount but I would bet they're easier to mount without the under board -- if you need a stuff board glue some 1/8" ply to the bottom of the foam. But this foam is very stiff. The problem with the under board is now you need to penetrate it for anything you have a lot more work to do.
You guys missed or ignored the part where I said my wife is making me recycle/use all of the old parts from when I tore the last benchwork down.

Good news is that I've used up almost all of the old OSB sheets. What's left is probably going to get used for workshop shelving and/or a spray paint booth.

And I've still got the upper level with no permanent OSB on it. So you can get your wish and have a deck with nothing between the supports :p
Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 4.01.17 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back