Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he being bullied because he is so good,and I do not mean being threatened but his less able friends are miffed at being compared and he just wants his friends even if it means giving up football, my youngest gave up tai kwondo then I found my eldest was encouring the bigger boys to hammer him at the lessons, pleased I was not

Far from it, Jaz. He has always (since he was knee-high to a grasshopper) been interested in football and basketball.
He played football with his local soccer club and also trained with Newcastle Eagles Basketball Club.
Though only 8 the Eagles 'came calling'. It was either playing football or basketball? Soccer lost.

David

Good morning from the cell phone. Local TDS internet service is down even though TDS says all systems are go. I re-set the house modem and it is not us, all the buttons are green except the one that says Internet

So, this is practice for the trip where the Ipadpro stays in the carry on bag until we settle in. Today is straighten the house out because we will be gone! This is also the last day I will be cutting the grass here. Between now and October we will b traveling, a lot. So, I asked one of the neighbors what service he uses. Turns out it is one of the neighbor kids. Kid came over Sunday with a list of references and current customers. Then gave me a bid for 1/3 the amount the lawn service company gave me. He starts next Tuesday while we are gone. For an extra $5.00 he will edge the sidewalks every time. I’m happy as is Terry who has wanted me to stop push mowing for years.

The son says our “room” at his place is officially ready. Told him didn’t know we had our “own” room there. Says his house is kind of big with lots of bedrooms so he had it fixed up for us.
Tiny screen, driving me nuts, later..,

Good Morning gang!

57° under partly sunny skies with a high of 75° expected.

Used my last piece of spline last night, so I have to call and order another 100 linear feet of it. That should be enough to finish the main lines and the one small yard. Because of their hours and my work schedule, I cant pick it up til the 2nd. Meanwhile I have a few unfinished projects to clear out. A firetruck to finish, engines to reassemble, decoders to install,,,,whew!

BBL

Morning all,

Didn't come back to the mess I was expecting, but still took the first hour to get ready for the rest of the day.

63° and cloudy this morning. Some rain expected everywhere but here. Told the wife if we didn't get any rain, the sprinklers would get turned on, so they did...I will need to cut them back to once a day 3X a week instead of twice a day 3x a week. For now the grass is catching up and growing.

Waiting for a vendor to open so I can finish configuring access through a new web portal for some product we're being forced to move to the cloud.

BBL

Good Morning gang!

57° under partly sunny skies with a high of 75° expected.

Used my last piece of spline last night, so I have to call and order another 100 linear feet of it. That should be enough to finish the main lines and the one small yard. Because of their hours and my work schedule, I cant pick it up til the 2nd. Meanwhile I have a few unfinished projects to clear out. A firetruck to finish, engines to reassemble, decoders to install,,,,whew!

BBL
You buy spline??? Where?

I retired from football at 14.
Mikey Although I loved playing you most likely made a good decision. Lots of neck and back problems later on in life from a lot of my friends who played including myself of only 4 years of high school football. I was only 129lbs my freshman year tackling 200 lb full backs.
Swal

George.jpg

It is 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 10' lengths of clear pine lattice from Reisterstown Lumber (a real lumber yard) The 1st shipment came in 16' lengths, a but harder to transport. Subsequent orders in 10 ft lengths. Much easier to handle. So far I've used about 400 ft of it, need another 100'.
Crap, now I'm thinking of building the 2nd half of my layout with splines. Someone stop me please.

The internet is back. Good morning from Wisconsin. Seems the house system is losing some speed now that things are operational again. Terry’s plugged in system at her desk is ok but the wireless system is not. The readings on the wireless are usual 500+ up and 500+ down.

0F8D81C6-A514-49A6-8124-F49042FC71FC.jpeg
64065C4A-8E01-4FD7-84C4-DADDC404D320.png
I did report the outage to TDS this morning and they claimed no current reported issues but would check. 20 minutes later we had service again. Sitting on the front porch watching the ladies walking their dogs in their night-ware is always interesting. The lady across the street asked if I had internet and I told her no. She was on Spectrum and they were down!

I will worry about the house wireless speed later.

Today is finish the upstairs cleaning. While waiting for internet service I dusted and vacuumed the lower level. I also cleaned my shower a day early! aren’t I great? Heading out for a soda run to take on the trip. I have coupons that will get me 12, 6 packs of 16.9 ounce bottles of a mix of Pepsi and Dr Pepper products. 12 for $30.00 good for today only. 4 packs will be in the car for the trip.

enjoy the day

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those of us who are SPLINE-less
... It's Troy again.

What I thought was "Weather Knee" is still acting up

My weight is up again by about 10 lbs, so that may be factoring in. And wife wants to go for good pizza and garlic knots from the Mom&Pop place tonight. Expensive in both calories and $$ but worth it.

I'm killing time until the podiatrist-owned shoe store opens. They're the only local store that carries my HOKA Bondi shoes in wide width. I've had the current pair about 10 months, and with the walking I've been doing, they may have broken down to where they're contributing to the knee problem.

On the MRR front, got the last of my 5/8th OSB installed on the lower deck. Still need 2 pieces of 2x4 ft to fill in the gaps. I've got almost enough 1/2 inch OSB to do the upper deck. I'll probably get that while I'm out on the shoe store run.

After that, I need to get serious about the windex and bending the Masonite around the bullnose end of the peninsula. Pics will follow if I get that far today.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 64°, radar is showing light showers nearby but not here. Might be 2 miles east and moving away. Thundershowers have been in the forecast for tomorrow for about a week now, maybe it will happen. Meanwhile daytime temperatures in the low-80's and nighttime in the low 60's for most of the ten day outlook.

In the garden, I picked broccoli yesterday and need to pick at least 6 more heads today. I'll preserve it by freezing it tomorrow while it's raining. Broccoli cannot be pressure-canned and must be blanched and frozen, even though it loses some of it's crispness. It completely disintegrates when pressure-canned. Don't ask how I know this.
I did the usual household tasks yesterday, a load of laundry, burned a barrel load of burn trash (no wind yesterday), and made Shrimp and Broccoli Lo Mein for supper. In the yard, I tidied up after the grandsons workaday Sunday and mowed some areas that they removed the brush piles from. Today needs to be weedeater day around the pool and the train shed. House still looks good from last week.

Nothing special out in the train shed yesterday. Ran some trains that I had previously staged and planted a few more trees. Sprayed about a dozen more rehabbed ones with matte finish to preclude shedding. Still haven't decided on my next project, a big one or some smaller ones from the pending projects list.
How about some random rail-served industries in Gainesville.
04-13-20 008.JPG

11-06-19 005.JPG

04-10-11 006.JPG

Todd - Seems like you are making the right decision on the Propane. I've been fortunate to never have had an issue with our company; 46 years now, 42 here and 4 more at the previous rent house.
Christian -
Guess I better stop posting for good and go back to just being a reader and never logging in again. Understood !
Have a better day than ever !
I believe that constant re-registering from the same IP address triggers the forum software into thinking that you're a spammer.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

On the MRR front, got the last of my 5/8th OSB installed on the lower deck. Still need 2 pieces of 2x4 ft to fill in the gaps. I've got almost enough 1/2 inch OSB to do the upper deck. I'll probably get that while I'm out on the shoe store run.

After that, I need to get serious about the windex and bending the Masonite around the bullnose end of the peninsula. Pics will follow if I get that far today.
Using OSB? Why are you working so hard? OSB has to be the hardest thing to drive a track nail into.

Crap, now I'm thinking of building the 2nd half of my layout with splines. Someone stop me please.
Hutch: Welp, I thought about using spline. Smooth grades, easy easements into curves with super elevation. Do a test setup before you jump in with both feet. Couple of tangents, a sweeping curve and add some scenery. Lots of cutting, gluing, clamping then sanding the top flat, you will have bumps/dips. You still need sub-roadbed on top of it for track/ties that you can spike/glue down.

Looks good doesn't it? So you need to re-align track work for that new house track, siding or ? Maybe you did not get that radii quite what you wanted and have to increase it by 1/2 inch. How much of the original spline needs to come out to accomplish that?

Sure, even if you are cookie-cutting there is work involved. To me, that would be a lot less work to get-r-done; new risers, sub-roadbed ( plywood or what ever ) and track.

Note that this is my view of things, somebody else that has gone through the above may know something different?

Later

On the topic of spline, I use the method taught to me by Howard Zane. Spline on risers on an open grid, place the center rib and add all your curves and grades clamping the risers in place until you are happy with the placement. Then glue the spacer blocks and the outer splines in place. Top this off with Homasote strips, then cork or Homabed, then track. Probably the worst part of this is cutting sheets of Homasote into long strips, say 5-6 inches wide with relief cuts along the length to allow curvature. Very dusty, must be done out doors!

There is no sanding of the splines, because the spacer blocks are "below grade" and the splines are uniform in thickness, sitting directly on the riser.

If you can locate the Allen Keller video Howard does a little spline mini clinic that explains all

It is 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 10' lengths of clear pine lattice from Reisterstown Lumber (a real lumber yard) The 1st shipment came in 16' lengths, a but harder to transport. Subsequent orders in 10 ft lengths. Much easier to handle. So far I've used about 400 ft of it, need another 100'.
What does a strip cost you? I was wondering how it compared to cutting your own out of Masonite hardboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back