Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

The talc or whatever the agent in there likes to cling to the top side of my bottles

The bottles say it’s Titanium Dioxide. The same thing as Australian beach sand, but ground up finer.

The abrasive nature of the fine sand is apparently what causes the scrubbing if it off with a stiff brush, to leave behind a surface with good bite for further layers.

Thanks for spelling out the amounts of everything.

Did you ever try mixing it with gray, rather than white, for a fade coat? I’m looking to fade some black coal hoppers in N scale, and was thinking that gray might give me finer control.

Last edited:
The bottles say it’s Titanium Dioxide. The same thing as Australian beach sand, but ground up finer.

The abrasive nature of the fine sand is apparently what causes the scrubbing if it off with a stiff brush, to leave behind a surface with good bite for further layers.

Thanks for spelling out the amounts of everything.

Did you ever try mixing it with gray, rather than white, for a fade coat? I’m looking to fade some black coal hoppers in N scale, and was thinking that gray might give me finer control.
I think I have tried it with most of the colors I fade with. Whites, yellows, dirt shades and black. But grey I truly don’t recall so therefore a no! Another part of the reason is I don’t have many bottles of grey in the Tamiya Acrylic line.

If it wasn’t such a PITA to brush off after drying I prefer to use it straight out of the bottle. I started experimenting with adding 99% IPA to thin it but the more IPA to thin the less the fade.

As you know or will find out, color changing fades are very personal. I experiment all the time jotting notes down as I plug along. Many times I write right on the butcher paper that covers my work space. Most of the guys I text with when we talk fades say 10 parts thinner to 1 part white (or any color). That works but it is agonizing too slow for me.

One thing that has really helped me is making sure my paints, base coats (x-21) or matte, satin and gloss finish varnishes ((clear coats) are truly thoroughly shaken before mixing. Then making sure the new mixture is thoroughly shaken.

Something on the bench

A BNSF buffer car was being tested and one coupler wasn’t returning to center.
02385860-0D11-48CD-ADB5-375DD51940F2.jpeg

Working on the fix
F278B58F-9939-4B88-A1DB-41E1B33947AF.jpeg
Yes, I thought about and then tried to remove the entire coupler pocket but it really isn’t worth all that effort. Hopefully re-building the side wall of the pocket will work out.

If it doesn’t the Dremel will be the weapon of choice
22264DB0-0F61-4D7D-B977-8A9AA9919CBB.jpeg

When the BNSF workers painted the white on the top side of the car they didn’t seem to care that the paint was dripping down the car, so I didn’t either but I stopped a lot higher then an actual car shows the drips

Something on the bench

A BNSF buffer car was being tested and one coupler wasn’t returning to center.
View attachment 166801

Working on the fix
View attachment 166802Yes, I thought about and then tried to remove the entire coupler pocket but it really isn’t worth all that effort. Hopefully re-building the side wall of the pocket will work out.

If it doesn’t the Dremel will be the weapon of choice
View attachment 166804
When the BNSF workers painted the white on the top side of the car they didn’t seem to care that the paint was dripping down the car, so I didn’t either but I stopped a lot higher then an actual car shows the drips
Looks really good Tom, nice work as always.

Interesting day today. While I feel better I agreed to limit my time at the bench.

IMG_8223.jpeg
Yes, they are all the same numbers.

IMG_8217.jpeg
Tomorrow the containers for the 3 spline cars and the 4 double stack well cars will be lightly weathered. The clear coat is drying.
IMG_4040.jpeg
I did touch up some spots on the spline cars and while packing them up I noticed the trailer hitches and posts are missing. Double checked the package and texted the client. No where to be found. Called Bowser and Jerry in customer service was outstanding. Replacements are being sent out. Not sure how I missed these but I did…

Container are up for testing today.

12 for a client and 2 for me. I am testing fading and grime colors out on my 2
IMG_4051.jpeg
IMG_4052.jpeg

The top clean container is to indicate the contrast. The bottom container is mine.

The white was faded using #71.001 White by Vallejo Air 5 drops of paint to 50 drops clean water. Rare for me this fade was applied twice to each side, top and ends of the container with my air brush. I let the fade dry between the applications

Vallejo Air applied as a wash 5 drops of paint to 20 drops of clean water. #71.027 light brown. This mix was applied to one side 3 times

IMG_4055.jpeg

The weathered green container is mine placed atop a clean container for contrast.

Again a wash of Vallejo Air but the color is #71.031 Middlestone mixed 5 drops of paint to only 15 drops of clear water. This mix made enough for 2 applications against 1 side and one pass across the roof. There was no attempt to fade this container beyond the cleaning with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.
IMG_4056.jpeg

Just to show the 2. Next is the roofs and the front panel.

The door panels on the back panel of both of these containers will be done with Pan Pastels. PP will be used also for some rust streaking where the contain pinning points are that join the containers together.

I have been pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to process these 2 containers to this stage. I am also not sure the fade at least on the white container is needed beyong the normal cleaning with 99% IPA.

Well I did not get the reaction from the client I was hoping for or expecting. Glad these are mine and not his.

I also had to have a discussion on the phone to let the SOB know if he has issues with my experiments on my stuff he can say yes or no to the direction I’m taking in the future and that’s it. That is if we do business in the future. His wife called back after I told him his containers will be ready for his daughter to pick up after school on Friday, no charge as I haven’t done anything to them. She apologized for him. Told her the containers I have can be picked up and the balance of the 50 well cars I have not started other than clear coating will be ready also at no charge. The 50 well cars I had started I will finish this weekend and will be ready on Monday after payment is received. She laughed, said, “ he said you were pissed”. Yes, I am. I have bent over backward for this guy and he has pushed the envelope. This is a hobby and fun for me and as I told his wife last night I certainly don’t need the money. She asked what I meant by that. Told her I promised my wife and myself if this became a job I would quit. Her hubby has created a job I don’t need.

IMG_4055.jpeg
IMG_8237.jpeg

Anyway, I like the green containers but I will tone down the grime on the future Swift containers. The one shown I will clear coat after working the front and back panels this morning. Every photo but one I found of the Swift containers are much cleaner on the side panels and dirtier on the front and rear door panels.
IMG_8242.jpeg

Well I did not get the reaction from the client I was hoping for or expecting. Glad these are mine and not his.

I also had to have a discussion on the phone to let the SOB know if he has issues with my experiments on my stuff he can say yes or no to the direction I’m taking in the future and that’s it. That is if we do business in the future. His wife called back after I told him his containers will be ready for his daughter to pick up after school on Friday, no charge as I haven’t done anything to them. She apologized for him. Told her the containers I have can be picked up and the balance of the 50 well cars I have not started other than clear coating will be ready also at no charge. The 50 well cars I had started I will finish this weekend and will be ready on Monday after payment is received. She laughed, said, “ he said you were pissed”. Yes, I am. I have bent over backward for this guy and he has pushed the envelope. This is a hobby and fun for me and as I told his wife last night I certainly don’t need the money. She asked what I meant by that. Told her I promised my wife and myself if this became a job I would quit. Her hubby has created a job I don’t need.

View attachment 166956View attachment 166957

Anyway, I like the green containers but I will tone down the grime on the future Swift containers. The one shown I will clear coat after working the front and back panels this morning. Every photo but one I found of the Swift containers are much cleaner on the side panels and dirtier on the front and rear door panels.
View attachment 166958
Well I hope his attitude changes, if he had concerns regarding how you weathered the stuff then voice them without ruffling feathers, there's no need for it. As you said, for you this is enjoyment, not supposed to be work.

Well I hope his attitude changes, if he had concerns regarding how you weathered the stuff then voice them without ruffling feathers, there's no need for it. As you said, for you this is enjoyment, not supposed to be work.
According to his wife he has been having employee issues at work and took it out on me instead of her. I told her maybe he needs time away. Says he can’t do that he is the owner. Lost 3 employees who just walked off a job site this week without even telling him.

Told her sorry to hear that but…

Truly I am done with him though. I will have by Monday another 50 well cars done for him. All containers are being returned as are the spline cars that have had some work done. He had already pushed me as I quoted a total of 50 spline and well cars total. He kept sending more until last week I said finally said stop.

His wife just doesn’t understand how I can walk away from the money. I tried to explain its a hobby but she didn’t get it so I gave up. Now if he showed up and personally apologized and I felt it is sincere I may finish this project. But everything is packed up that I am not working on. The daughter was coming anyway for a few things I finished and he paid for after I billed him on Wednesday.

While he is not my first troublesome client, he has become the 1st one I put my foot down over.

According to his wife he has been having employee issues at work and took it out on me instead of her. I told her maybe he needs time away. Says he can’t do that he is the owner. Lost 3 employees who just walked off a job site this week without even telling him.
If he treated them the same way he, did you, then it's probably not hard to see why they left.

If he treated them the same way he, did you, then it's probably not hard to see why they left.
That’s what my wife said. Yesterday!

She stopped after her riding this morning at the new place. Talked to our contractor who told her he was getting behind and the brickwork will really be behind.

Guess who’s residential brickwork job my weathering client‘s workers walked off of? Yep, ours. Terry who said she tried not to laugh asked for an introduction to the owner of the brick laying company. Said he was super nice. She did not say anything about the trains.

Well I did not get the reaction from the client I was hoping for or expecting.
I have done weathering for folks but they let me do how I want. They like my cars and ask if I could do some of theirs. I ask them if they want the same, lighter, or darker than mine. Some mostly want the dull coat with a light grime on the bottom. Just enough to take away the plastic look.
I couldn't do what you do Tom, getting approval for your work, then they get picky.

I think you have enormous patience to deal with such people, I know I couldn't do it, I'd have lost my rag with the guy big time long ago. To me you have to let the artist work, odd suggestions and encouragement always work best, you are your own best/worst critic of your work, if it doesn't look right it literally goes back to the start

I (hopefully) let you weather my cars as you saw fit, with only very general idea's and little oversight from me, simply because after seeing your (and Tom (2)) work it was obvious you knew what you were doing and I trusted your judgement, this guy unfortunately (and this is my personnel opinion) obviously did not, and tried to micro manage the project.

I have done weathering for folks but they let me do how I want. They like my cars and ask if I could do some of theirs. I ask them if they want the same, lighter, or darker than mine. Some mostly want the dull coat with a light grime on the bottom. Just enough to take away the plastic look.
I couldn't do what you do Tom, getting approval for your work, then they get picky.
I sell a lot of weathering my way. About 30% is stuff I do on my own and then put it on Facebook to sell. Weathered the way I want it and that is usually the way I get introduced to my clients. They become repeaters. I have had less then a handful of clients who have not purchased again.

The other 70% is of course, items to be weathered received from a client. I ask for pictures but only about 1/2 will send them. I won’t do rust buckets without a picture. The others say do it light, medium or heavy your way.

Everyone is told the picture request is for inspiration.

This is really the 1st guy I have even thought about putting my foot down, and I did.

Structures though are strictly per client requests. I need a sketch and dimensions. Then I need to know what they want on the face of the building. When I have that, I will draw up the building and show what I will be using for roof vents, pipes, cooling units. Some parts are scratched or like for gas meters, electrical panels and a/c units from various vendors. I do charge a per hour fee for that.

I enjoy it

Back