Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

I think you have enormous patience to deal with such people, I know I couldn't do it, I'd have lost my rag with the guy big time long ago. To me you have to let the artist work, odd suggestions and encouragement always work best, you are your own best/worst critic of your work, if it doesn't look right it literally goes back to the start

I (hopefully) let you weather my cars as you saw fit, with only very general idea's and little oversight from me, simply because after seeing your (and Tom (2)) work it was obvious you knew what you were doing and I trusted your judgement, this guy unfortunately (and this is my personnel opinion) obviously did not, and tried to micro manage the project.
This is the second project in the last month that was micro managed. The other one was a locomotive project that he kept changing his mind on things. He ended up giving me a tip for putting up with him and the changes. I have 3 locomotives to do for him when I get back from Vegas. He wants medium and it’s my way without him seeing them till finished.

Really other than these 2 guys I have had literally no issues with weathering clients or even the few layout builds I have done. Changes are normal but being picky idiots is not. With layouts I always expect issues but thankfully have had none.

I have built many slot tracks in this area. One guy tried to tell me what to do while I was building a track for his neighbor and they were acting as helpers. I can build a train layout mostly by myself but I did really need lots of help with the slot tracks. I refused his request to build him and his kids a slot track while telling him why. He was ok with that. The track he ended up building was let’s say interesting. I no longer do slot tracks, only because they really make building a train layout feel like a very easy thing.

As to patience, I do have a short fuse but do not take it out on others. I spent my last 21+ years working in consumer collections starting with learning how to collect. No matter what, we could not lose our cool. Thankfully, I only spent 18 months learning that side of the business. The last 20 years was spent in sales and client services, again places you could not lose your cool. I did have to terminate or move staff around because losing your cool in that business is easy to do…

Last edited:
ATTENTION SMUDGE617

Chris this was on Facebook today at Freight Car Photos

Dated 1997 in St. Paul, Minnesota on a BNSF train
IMG_8261.jpeg

Containers are part of the rolling stock and I have been weathering plenty of them. The one thing they are not is rust buckets. But many of them have lots of rust streaking. The Fedex containers are fairly clean, faded with just touches of rust spots. There will be many more FedEx containers showing up here but for now these 12 containers of various shippers are what I can show. This finishes a double stack train of 4 cars, 3 articulate and 1 well car.

IMG_4104.jpeg
IMG_4099.jpeg
IMG_4103.jpeg
IMG_4102.jpeg
IMG_4101.jpeg
IMG_4100.jpeg
IMG_4087.jpeg
IMG_4079.jpeg

Last edited:
Good good. Got home to the bench yesterday afternoon.

It’s been a couple months since I started working on a Centerbeam. I spent some time yesterday touching it up and spraying the final clear coat.

9726DF37-E3E3-4E3B-A8E7-1704075CD0B8.jpeg
EC4EB5BE-C80E-4AA9-A645-F26D8868DED1.jpeg
7ED8CA1D-13FE-4551-8D43-546316B2CD6F.jpeg
B0E2AAE0-9699-464D-85EF-8AFFDFCDF132.jpeg
8E17E670-C0AB-4DAC-B587-6EEF14A6FACA.jpeg
At this time the intent is to keep this one.

While out playing golf in the Neveda desert this arrived. A 5 pack of ARMN Reefer cars by Athearn. Looked better online for sale than they do in person. But, I have actually had requests for the older version of these cars and Athearn came close and if this is what the people want…
FD3A0FF2-1CF6-453A-B59D-1875A9B87195.jpeg
These will definitely be weathered and yes with graffiti and tags. $75 plus $20 for shipping the 5 cars made this a deal that couldn’t be passed by
The picture below is of one of the car numbers in the 5 pack. Dates taken on the picture show the car in 2012
A54DDD0A-0339-4C1E-8F3B-589725F4FD1B.jpeg

I think this will be a fun one spread out over the Summer

Last edited:
I posted this question in the diner.

What is the difference between a molten sulfur tank car and a corn syrup/sweetener tank car?

I know the models available or rather previously made have a difference in the number of gallons carried but mechanically does anyone know or can lead me to the information.

thanks

What is the difference between a molten sulfur tank car and a corn syrup/sweetener tank car?

I know the models available or rather previously made have a difference in the number of gallons carried but mechanically does anyone know or can lead me to the information.

thanks
Tom,

Are you a member of MFCL (modern freight car list)?

Great place for information, or to ask a question. My guess is someone there will know or know where to go for the info.

Tom,

Are you a member of MFCL (modern freight car list)?

Great place for information, or to ask a question. My guess is someone there will know or know where to go for the info.

Thanks I will look into it

The last of the containers are being shipped today, this is 3 of 30
B508DF6E-5243-4D62-A5A8-589D3311C5E4.jpeg
This is going today but west to California
B3387A7E-4AD2-4F4D-B2EB-B8A9B052F9BA.jpeg
0A2532FD-EDEC-473F-B89B-E5C63D0FAA56.jpeg
AA33943B-B6AF-4598-81A7-297E50AB8CCB.jpeg
8E7786BD-AB55-40D0-9250-953FBC9E891D.jpeg
These 4 are waiting for payment and will ship Thursday
D05C1EA8-E0E7-4F51-AEB7-3BA69AAD3CC7.jpeg
These 2 pictures are part of a series of pictures that will be used as inspiration for a 3 tank car project. Waiting for the decals. They haul from the paper mill a by-product made from the recycled slurry mix. I think…
E7DA758D-E080-4979-8660-F15A6E3F0856.jpeg
75B716CD-631F-48FD-84DD-C2A6C042C972.jpeg

I am finishing up some more projects

thanks
Molten sulfur is temperature regulated, tank cars are lined with an insulation. https://www.gatx.eu/news/finding-op... typically filled with,120°C during transport.
Corn syrup cars are made different with heating coils. https://www.gatx.com/products/small-capacity-general-service-tank-cars/

When it rains it pours. I will soon have Walthers Proto molten sulfur cars coming out my ears. I am ok with that! Went from begging for cars at decent prices, less then $40 each, to 8 coming and a decision needed on another 6. I think I will take them.

Thanks for the info on the differences between the corn syrup and sulfur tank cars and the leads to more in-depth material. The MFCL group I did join and recall that I was a member a few years ago. 2 of the sulfur cars are coming from another modeler who also resides there.

While looking today for some Scaletrain tank cars for an 24 car Ethanol train, I noticed the cars at the brick and mortar USA shops were only the white bodied cars with black center panels. No solid black tank cars in USA shops. But found them in a Canadian shop.

Part of my model railroading fun is research and finding what I want. Sometimes it gets frustrating (ie Sulfur Cars) but mostly it’s enjoyable

We’ll hi there to anyone venturing this far.

Been a busy few days for me. A few projects in the works, many items shipped and many more to go. I am having a good time.

I now have 2 black and 3 yellow molten sulfur cars

some pictures from Saturday and today. Decals only, weathering tomorrow. Plus 2 of the 5 sulfur cars already here
2EB230C2-E6CC-43B0-AB2C-AC5B732F1BE7.jpeg
57BA54F2-6FF3-49FD-ABA9-9841C9CBF067.jpeg
2961704C-B8A1-48FE-A436-2841F5995723.jpeg
2D28EE39-C859-4D3A-83D8-548E19D33E30.jpeg

Well I did not get the reaction from the client I was hoping for or expecting. Glad these are mine and not his.

I also had to have a discussion on the phone to let the SOB know if he has issues with my experiments on my stuff he can say yes or no to the direction I’m taking in the future and that’s it. That is if we do business in the future. His wife called back after I told him his containers will be ready for his daughter to pick up after school on Friday, no charge as I haven’t done anything to them. She apologized for him. Told her the containers I have can be picked up and the balance of the 50 well cars I have not started other than clear coating will be ready also at no charge. The 50 well cars I had started I will finish this weekend and will be ready on Monday after payment is received. She laughed, said, “ he said you were pissed”. Yes, I am. I have bent over backward for this guy and he has pushed the envelope. This is a hobby and fun for me and as I told his wife last night I certainly don’t need the money. She asked what I meant by that. Told her I promised my wife and myself if this became a job I would quit. Her hubby has created a job I don’t need.

View attachment 166956View attachment 166957

Anyway, I like the green containers but I will tone down the grime on the future Swift containers. The one shown I will clear coat after working the front and back panels this morning. Every photo but one I found of the Swift containers are much cleaner on the side panels and dirtier on the front and rear door panels.
View attachment 166958
Just because you are doing a job for someone does not mean you deserve sh x t from them, the fact that this is a human interaction means there will be a definite element of diversion
1. One says sonething, the other person interprets it
2. Colours are subjective especially when photographed on a mobile phone transferred to a forum then uploaded colours will NEVER. Be exact, and do not get me going under the light conditions
3. Unless they provide colours and any textured goods they have to understand it is what you buy at a good price or what is available and if a job overruns the available kit colour matching can be a total b eeeech the more you do the worse the risk of not matching]
4. Plus line up a load of real wagons weathered then nit pick them!
5. I could never do it as a commission, I once did an art job for a customer and my husband was like you are never ever going to make a profit and they are changing the goal post…they were lucky he did not tell them where to go. work on a commission not this side of hell. the customer is not always right. especially when they give out a guideline with interpretation then do not like it.
6. I might make something then post it for sale but frankly I love my work and selling it for cash….fight me for it, I have had plenty of offers for my work and been badgered to do a commission,
7. you need to cope with someone who cannot do the job them selves but thinks they know how you should do it….l.shudders.
8. Nope watching other do their thing, doing it for myself, and on the odd occasion I have made something I gifted, but doing a commission….no never I commend your
patience, attention to making each a decent set, dealing with the posting in and out and ensuring no damage, trusting them to pay, eye for colour, and the fact that you have in my opinion upped the value of the item, and given of your skills for what usually turns out to be a pathetic hourly rate, because you love it.
But me I do mine for me, and if I am unhappy I rework it or trash it, and trying to please some dithering undecided want to change the original agreement - even if you already bought specific kit to do the agreed order they now want to change costing you time money and patience…..do I look THAT stupid! (your not stupid your talented and people are really really lucky you take commissions)
I come here admire your work pick up any tweaks that I can steal um copy …..and am grateful you also give a glimpse into your art, because many will NOT.

Is your brick-laying guy (in more ways than one) still in your hair?

And do you ever do N-scale cars... If so, how do your techniques alter for the smaller scale?
The brick laying guy was met face to face on the job site the other day and needless to say he couldn’t have been nicer when he figured out I am also his weathering guy. I think he now understands I’m not doing the weathering for the money but for my enjoyment.

I have played with a few N Scale cars and it’s an adjustment. The techniques are the same as for The Horribly Oversized scale. The fades and the washes are same. Rusting effects need to be adjusted to really small. Send me a car, I do the first one for free, you pay the postage.

The brick laying guy was met face to face on the job site the other day and needless to say he couldn’t have been nicer when he figured out I am also his weathering guy. I think he now understands I’m not doing the weathering for the money but for my enjoyment.

I have played with a few N Scale cars and it’s an adjustment. The techniques are the same as for The Horribly Oversized scale. The fades and the washes are same. Rusting effects need to be adjusted to really small. Send me a car, I do the first one for free, you pay the postage.
That is a more than fair offer.

Thanks for the offer on the car. I may take you up on it once I get more rolling stock to worry about.

I've got this thread bookmarked for when I get to the point where I want to try my hand at it. I'm not unfamiliar with the techniques. but I've been more geared to the gaming table. Rough handling is expected there. And in a larger scale.

Doing Desert theme is mostly dust. Which here was a very light drybrush of sand-colored paint. Some gamers (like those depicting the mud of the Russian front) really cake on the "mud". I've had to go for a lighter touch, and very little of it.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 6.35.33 AM.png

This little fellow is 1:56 scale. And it's been about a decade since I was trying to weather game minis at 1:100 scale. I'm just now starting to wrap my head around 1:160 scale trains. And that I can be more delicate in the process since they won't be getting carted all over the state for tourneys.

I'm looking forward to trying my hand at the N-scale cars and learning a new field. I'm tempted to pay you for a car up front that I can use as my spirit guide example going forward. But that will be a while. I need to get track laid first.

Thanks for the offer on the car. I may take you up on it once I get more rolling stock to worry about.

I've got this thread bookmarked for when I get to the point where I want to try my hand at it. I'm not unfamiliar with the techniques. but I've been more geared to the gaming table. Rough handling is expected there. And in a larger scale.

Doing Desert theme is mostly dust. Which here was a very light drybrush of sand-colored paint. Some gamers (like those depicting the mud of the Russian front) really cake on the "mud". I've had to go for a lighter touch, and very little of it.

View attachment 168461

This little fellow is 1:56 scale. And it's been about a decade since I was trying to weather game minis at 1:100 scale. I'm just now starting to wrap my head around 1:160 scale trains. And that I can be more delicate in the process since they won't be getting carted all over the state for tourneys.

I'm looking forward to trying my hand at the N-scale cars and learning a new field. I'm tempted to pay you for a car up front that I can use as my spirit guide example going forward. But that will be a while. I need to get track laid first.
I know you paint the figures so you shouldn’t have any issues with N Scale. The weathering would be the same type of washes you use, just nothing full strength IMO.

I have watched and hopefully learned a few things from the military modelers that provide You Tube content. I particularly like

Panzermeister36

he is maybe in his mid20’s now but over the years has definitely matured into an excellent content provider with excellent skills and has good video production skills. As a bonus he a couple times a year does Railroad stuff in HO.

I can tell you, WEATHERING IS ADDICTIVE but fun

thanks for tuning in

That is a more than fair offer.
It’s a way to introduce people to a part of the hobby I have really come to embrace.

I had a mentor when I got out of college (1974) that introduced me to painting steam brass locomotives. My own, he was getting $50 each and I couldn’t afford that. So instead he showed me how to paint and weather them and refused payment for supplies. Twice a week after work I would stop by his studio and we will work on them for an hour. When we finished the first one he said next we weather them, I said why it’s new. He said to imitate real life or something to that effect. Over the years then till the early 90’s I painted brass until the business disappeared, always with a touch of grime. Then I stopped painting and weathering until roughly 2018. Then it was a new process of learning with Arcylics. I got strong into weathering just weeks before Covid.

Not much of how I do my weathering do folks always agree with and that’s fine. I tried to stick to the tried and true methods and still occasionally do. But as with anything I believe if a person does something regularly you find YOUR OWN way and I have. With the help of some very good You Tube content providers I experimented to find my way of doing. Not original but it works.

I am a disciple of Boomer Diorama, his weathering tutorials are straight forward no BS but he is a talker. JC’s RipTrack is excellent but he is not putting out new content. His beginner series I think is a must see, IMO. Panzermeister36 is a military model who occasionally does trains, but military modelers for the most part are very good. Another young modeler, just turned 28 is DansRailroad2011 on YouTube. Does fantastic weathering (heavy) and graffiti using the craft paints from HobbyLobby and Walmart.

I know a longer response then you were expecting but I enjoy this

Back