Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Have you checked out this fella?
(they make it like that... Tim)

Found him when I was searching for Canadian railroad layouts. Sounds like he does a bit of weathering in both N and HO. Wondering where he falls on the Tom Technique scale??

Edit: I suspect this dude is in the basic category after watching a few various vids.

Last edited:
Have you checked out this fella?
(they make it like that... Tim)

Found him when I was searching for Canadian railroad layouts. Sounds like he does a bit of weathering in both N and HO. Wondering where he falls on the Tom Technique scale??

Edit: I suspect this dude is in the basic category after watching a few various vids.
I watch his videos and Tim is very good. But he’s not really posting much lately which is why I didn’t include him on my list. He has started posting many shorts and they are too quick to be informative IMO

yes his own stuff is N

Whew! I have finally read through all 64 pages of this thread.
By osmosis, I have learned much, but at my age, many of my memory sectors become corrupted.
I have 8 pages of items and comments noted in one document.

TomO- thank you so much for starting this thread and sucking so many other talented people in to share their experiences.
Kudos to all who contributed their comments, pictures and opinions.

I have been watching this forum since 2005 and this is probably the most informative thread I have seen. ( The ANPL Cafe doesn't count since it is not limited to one general subject. Some politics and religion drift by occasionally but are closely monitored.) I just wish I had paid closer attention to this thread about 24 months ago.

Whew! I have finally read through all 64 pages of this thread.
By osmosis, I have learned much, but at my age, many of my memory sectors become corrupted.
I have 8 pages of items and comments noted in one document.

TomO- thank you so much for starting this thread and sucking so many other talented people in to share their experiences.
Kudos to all who contributed their comments, pictures and opinions.

I have been watching this forum since 2005 and this is probably the most informative thread I have seen. ( The ANPL Cafe doesn't count since it is not limited to one general subject. Some politics and religion drift by occasionally but are closely monitored.) I just wish I had paid closer attention to this thread about 24 months ago.
Ah, you are welcome Mikey. It’s been a fun ride and it will continue to be. I think if nothing else this thread reinforces, practice, practice and more practice. We are all learning and as you found reading many of things I did in the beginning I have adjusted. Just ask away and because its late Spring in the Northern Hemisphere you may not get as many response as if it were Winter time, they will be helpful and positive.

No matter what. YOUR eye knows what it likes and weathering has no boundaries.

I get an Amazon gift card each month of varying amounts (my associate's income from people clicking links on my website to get to Amazon). And I try to spend it on hobby. Just ordered this:

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 7.06.04 AM.png

I suspect it will have solid info. But are there any areas covered here that are better to start with? Does it parallel the techniques in this thread fairly well?

No matter what. YOUR eye knows what it likes and weathering has no boundaries.
TomO- I am not a complete newby. I have muddled along for years using a brush on acrylic washes and the vintage alcohol and ink weathering.
I hope to add some air brushing fades and grime around the edges of cars. I have been using 5/0 and 10/0 brushes for detail where you are using micro brushes to get small detail rust streaking. Yes, my weathering tastes differ a little from yours, but it does not lessen my appreciation for the work of others.
I hope to be able to get a work area organized enough to slap some paint on a practice box car soon.

I get an Amazon gift card each month of varying amounts (my associate's income from people clicking links on my website to get to Amazon). And I try to spend it on hobby. Just ordered this:

View attachment 168613

I suspect it will have solid info. But are there any areas covered here that are better to start with? Does it parallel the techniques in this thread fairly well?
Troy, I’m not sure. I know I have a few books from Kalmbach on painting that mention weathering. Not sure if it’s this book or one of Jeff Wilson’s other books he did after he left Kalmbach. He was rather a prolific writer on many modeling subjects. I will look through the library today in the train room. But, it should contain the basics but depending on the publishing date he may not delve to much into Arcylic paints.

I strongly (as a cult follower) suggest looking at You Tube content provider Boomer Diorama. Look under his playlist and then custom painting.
5C1833AD-6D6A-4083-8E2E-2FF46659AB33.png

Another is JC Rip track, his how to start is absolutely excellent
1071F422-7AF1-4FB8-BA1F-09EDACD28AF0.png

enjoy

I strongly (as a cult follower) suggest looking at You Tube content provider Boomer Diorama. Look under his playlist and then custom painting.

Another is JC Rip track, his how to start is absolutely excellent
100% agree on Boomer's content, I've learned a ton since I discovered his channel last year. He's a very talented guy.

JC RIp Track is a new one to me, I'll start watching tonight, thank you

TomO- I am not a complete newby. I have muddled along for years using a brush on acrylic washes and the vintage alcohol and ink weathering.
I hope to add some air brushing fades and grime around the edges of cars. I have been using 5/0 and 10/0 brushes for detail where you are using micro brushes to get small detail rust streaking. Yes, my weathering tastes differ a little from yours, but it does not lessen my appreciation for the work of others.
I hope to be able to get a work area organized enough to slap some paint on a practice box car soon.
Oops, I hope you didn’t think I believed you were new to this, I know you’re not. Sorry who you thought that.
Tom

Mistakes happen

6CA7533C-0A86-4975-A30E-E6FC0BA34786.jpeg
and better yet, I know how to fix it. Wait, I just made it worst…

when I applied the decal over the weathered car side I was very happy with how it came out. Taking pictures was going well tonight and I decided to zoom in on the decal and noticed the cotton fibers clinging to the side of the car.

when I rolled the decal with a q-tip/cotton bud the rolling squeezes out the wetness from the decal. Seems I left some fibers behind. Rubbing them out didn’t work because the car has been sealed with a clear dull coat finish. An eraser was no match for the sealed and dried clear coat. I touched it with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol that looking back was more than a touch. Basically I stripped 3 panels. Let’s just say the plan was all along that I keeping this car for myself for the layout.

I left the train room about 90 minutes before the plan was thinking. Frustrated and not a happy camper but I can always strip it and start the panels again. The decal was getting abused by the 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. It was time to walk away.

Mistakes happen

View attachment 168659and better yet, I know how to fix it. Wait, I just made it worst…

when I applied the decal over the weathered car side I was very happy with how it came out. Taking pictures was going well tonight and I decided to zoom in on the decal and noticed the cotton fibers clinging to the side of the car.

when I rolled the decal with a q-tip/cotton bud the rolling squeezes out the wetness from the decal. Seems I left some fibers behind. Rubbing them out didn’t work because the car has been sealed with a clear dull coat finish. An eraser was no match for the sealed and dried clear coat. I touched it with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol that looking back was more than a touch. Basically I stripped 3 panels. Let’s just say the plan was all along that I keeping this car for myself for the layout.

I left the train room about 90 minutes before the plan was thinking. Frustrated and not a happy camper but I can always strip it and start the panels again. The decal was getting abused by the 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. It was time to walk away.
If that were a mistake on terrain, I'd just say to put a bush on it, to camouflage the mistake, and call it done.

If that were a mistake on terrain, I'd just say to put a bush on it, to camouflage the mistake, and call it done.
I would loved to have figured a way to say it was done to replicate something, but my mind just is not that imaginative.

The cotton fibers are gone and I will revisit this car upon returning from vacation travels around the 16th. I really liked where this car was before I found the fibers.

I would loved to have figured a way to say it was done to replicate something, but my mind just is not that imaginative.

The cotton fibers are gone and I will revisit this car upon returning from vacation travels around the 16th. I really liked where this car was before I found the fibers.
You could get a 3-D print of Wil E. Coyote have him SPLAT on the side of the car.... right next to s roadrunner shaped hole.

TomO I think your hard on your self, frankly I looked at the wagon and I think if you put it up as a finished item and did not advertise your personal angst no one would have been any the wiser. I know you you won’t leave it lol, but sometimes walking away and looking at something later makes you think yeah actually it works despite not what I intended

As for the roadrunner idea.that is now fixed in my mind…..I wonder if I have a space on my wall
sorry for off topic photos

Attachments

• IMG_7914.jpeg
    IMG_7914.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    592 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7237.jpeg
    IMG_7237.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7215.jpeg
    IMG_7215.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7209.jpeg
    IMG_7209.jpeg
    564.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6666.jpeg
    IMG_6666.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6581.jpeg
    IMG_6581.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 41
TomO I think your hard on your self, frankly I looked at the wagon and I think if you put it up as a finished item and did not advertise your personal angst no one would have been any the wiser. I know you you won’t leave it lol, but sometimes walking away and looking at something later makes you think yeah actually it works despite not what I intended
JazA, if it was for keeping on my layout I might have left it. But the goal on this one was to sell it. That part is messed up but it’s fixable with much more effort than I wanted. I generally (rarely) do not rush things any more but this one I should have put on the side for another time. Now it’s aside because I rushed. It will be back.

thank you

Back