Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
We put in a glass door when we remodeled about six years ago. Wife bought a squeegee and a wall mount to use. Told me to use it every time. I did so religiously every day for years. Fast forward three or four years, and I entered the bathroom about ten minutes after she finished showering and noted that she didn't use it. I haven't used it since. We have extremely soft water and it isn't noticeable that it isn't being cleaned, just rinses off by itself.
I had this water filter install a few months ago. Lots of old iron mines in the area. Lots of iron in the water. I didn't want the new shower to look like some old rust pit in a few years. There are already iron deposits in there. Your able to bypass it when needed.
Swal

water_filter_01.jpg

I was going to add glass doors until a few of my friends said they have one shower with glass doors and one without and they use there none glass door shower because glass doors are a pain to keep clean.
Swal
@NYC_George , six years ago I built a new shower (there was a 1 piece fiberglass shower before) When I installed the sliding glass doors, I suggested to SWMBO a curtain inside of the doors as we have lots of iron and manganese in our water. I argued that the curtain and rod could be removed and replaced with a twist of the rod and it would "save" the glass. I lost the argument. And most others............
Before the doors and grab bars were installed.
shower finish.JPG

Been doing the belly lay (min 90 secs) every few hours. The Physical Therapist channel I go to when I pull something recommended laying prone, on belly with a pillow or two under the shoulders. That takes the pressure off the disks for both Herniated and degenerative disks.

I'm much more mobile now, and slowed down on the pain relievers. Even went for a short walk. Going to attempt to sleep on my belly tonight.

For those of you with Degenerative Disks... was it exercise first? Or did your doc go straight into shots into the spine?

Good afternoon. It's partly cloudy and 89.
Today started out being a fun day, driving to Jacksonville to see a friend that's down from NC.
It ended up kind of expensive...
The trip was uneventful, then I got home, and went over to the farm. I was planning to take the duallie to get an oil change and price on tires.
Well, it still needs an oil change and tires, but now it needs a pair of batteries. I climbed in, turned it on, when the "wait" light cycled off, I turned the key--and one of the batteries exploded. So, I spent some quality time with baking soda and a garden hose, cleaning the mess up. It's too late to do anything today, so the batteries will be a next Saturday project. Then if nothing else blows up, a trip to get the oil change and tire prices. And it needs 6 tires, they're about 12 years old, even though they have about a thousand miles on them

Well - we enjoy our 4x6 glass on two sides shower with hard water. Takes no more than a minute to squeegee off the glass - no big deal unless the house is on fire!
The other problem with glass doors is their about $3,000.00 and you need to drill down into the top of curb which I avoided. I didn't use any fasteners on the inside or top. So water has a slim chance penetrating the curb which seems to be the biggest reason for tile showers leaking.
Swal

The other problem with glass doors is their about $3,000.00 and you need to drill down into the top of curb which I avoided. I didn't use any fasteners on the inside or top. So water has a slim chance penetrating the curb which seems to be the biggest reason for tile showers leaking.
Swal
I think that is near what we paid, but my wife wanted them and it was one of those "it ain't worth the fight" things, so I didn't even ask the cost. They're all glass with the only metal being the top rail and the hardware. No surround on the glass. They're really heavy and tough to adjust, but once adjusted, they operate very easily. We had the curb angled inward when built just for the water. It's also a solid piece of marble.

For those of you with Degenerative Disks... was it exercise first? Or did your doc go straight into shots into the spine?
The doc I had, prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain, and referred me to the pain management doctor in the practice. Consulted with him in late October, they didn't call back to schedule, 12/4, and I was still in the hospital from my flu/heart failure/pneumonia adventure, so I basically decided that I didn't need injections....by that time, the severe pain had passed. I am doing exercises, that I found on the Johns Hopkins site, and I'm walking over a mile three or more times per week. I don't think I will go back to that practice...
BTW, I sleep flat on my back, no pillow, and exercise just before bed. seems to work.

Showers. One of the best inventions IMO.

All glass doors on the ones we have now and had over the years. There is a squeege in each one and I know in my shower it takes maybe 1 minute to do all the walls and glass.

Haircuts, when I was working my assistant often told me when it was time for one. During Covid I felt like Inwas back in the 70’s getting my haircut twice a year. The last 18 months, it has been cut every 6 weeks. I make an appointment everytime and put it in the phone. Easy.

The grandson scored twice this morning to end the tournament with a win and the Winter hockey season. He finished with 64 goal in 72 games. The girl on his line had 73 goals for the year and the other line mate had 40. The 3 of them are great every day friends and played very well together but best of all they had fun.

We got our new walk in shower installed two years ago, said no to the "free" glass doors because I didn't want to squeegee them.

Right after it was installed and ready for use, wife hung up the squeegee inside the shower and said the walls had to be squeegeed daily to keep them nice.

I shower in the other bath. Since I usually go after her, that would have left me with all the work. One of the few arguments I've won by doing my own thing. Her's is a nice shower. But mine works just fine. I hit it with daily cleaning spray in about 5 seconds. Takes her a minute-ish to squeegee her shower. That's a good minute of bend and straighten, bend and straighten I don't have to do.

I did a thing today!

Spline subroadbed as taught to me by Howard Zane , slightly modified. There is an independent lumber yard near me that sell 1&1/8 inch by 1/8 inch lattice strips that are 16 ft long. very bendy yet very solid the hooked together with 1 inch pine blocks. Also the curves have a flowing natural easement and easily can bend to a 28 inch minimum radius. Howard did the same, but hand ripped his strips out of 12 ft clear 1x12 boards.
The grade, which starts off camera 3 ft to the left is just over 1.5%. I still have quite a bit more to use before I can start with the Homasote.
and yes, I'll probably use his red rosin paper technique for the land forms.
IMG-1277.jpg

In case you notice, the Sisal rope around the columns is for the cat, he loves it better then the furniture.

I also did NAPCAR😴 today, dozed off during the pre race show, woke up at the end of the 1st stage. This is why I call it NAPCAR!;)
6 months of thrice weekly physical therapy, then finally surgery after the left arm went numb. Now with plates, screws and cadaver bone my neck is fine, and the arm is good.
Wife swears I have a degenerative something or other, usually after I grab her butt in public!
I guess the protocol depends on exactly where the disc has failed.

YMMV, hope it gets better soon!

I did a thing today!

Spline subroadbed as taught to me by Howard Zane , slightly modified. There is an independent lumber yard near me that sell 1&1/8 inch by 1/8 inch lattice strips that are 16 ft long. very bendy yet very solid the hooked together with 1 inch pine blocks. Also the curves have a flowing natural easement and easily can bend to a 28 inch minimum radius. Howard did the same, but hand ripped his strips out of 12 ft clear 1x12 boards.
The grade, which starts off camera 3 ft to the left is just over 1.5%. I still have quite a bit more to use before I can start with the Homasote.
View attachment 163549

In case you notice, the Sisal rope around the columns is for the cat, he loves it better then the furniture.

I also did NAPCAR😴 today, dozed off during the pre race show, woke up at the end of the 1st stage. This is why I call it NAPCAR!;)

6 months of thrice weekly physical therapy, then finally surgery after the left arm went numb. Now with plates, screws and cadaver bone my neck is fine, and the arm is good.
Wife swears I have a degenerative something or other, usually after I grab her butt in public!

Nice spline work you got going there Karl.
Swal

I did a thing today!

View attachment 163549

Love the wood work and the track, I notice you have the track on a firm support, and the rest more skeleton, so suspect your going lift on off foam, this is good for a repair if ever required, I should really add a front to mine, but the plan was always to lift the lot and transfer to the other loft, so it just sits in layers, perfectly stable if not pretty
hoover is banned,as we often find small parts on the floor.

Attachments

• 33433C8C-137D-4F9B-9A19-DAFB46B215D4.jpeg
    33433C8C-137D-4F9B-9A19-DAFB46B215D4.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 31
  • CB246D05-E528-46AD-A5F4-294121126F83.jpeg
    CB246D05-E528-46AD-A5F4-294121126F83.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 44
  • E819C5BC-4339-4B1E-84F8-A329158794B2.jpeg
    E819C5BC-4339-4B1E-84F8-A329158794B2.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 08D9C102-B331-4406-A673-F369773D1A29.jpeg
    08D9C102-B331-4406-A673-F369773D1A29.jpeg