Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
American SUV - why is it no longer a station wagon?

1674841019144.png

Karl, is it true the over filling (topping off) the fuel tank can cause the vapor canister purge valve to fail?
If so, how? Fuel gets into it or too much pressure.

I have always topped off my tank, not anymore! I just replaced the vapor canister purge valve on my Chevy Sonic.

Because people refused to buy them when they were called station wagons.
So they reinvented them, calling them “crossover SUVs”.
In England, they were referred to as “estate cars”, I don’t know if that term is used any more, either.

Except there is a difference between a crossover SUV and a station wagon. Station Wagons are not lifted with big tires and large clearance and have actual hauling capacity in the back. Crossovers have higher ground clearance and bigger tires, and typically not as good of cargo space as its more a large hatchback or coupe with big tires. Totally stupid.

There are very few true station wagons left. I read recently only Volvo and Subaru have true wagons still. We had a Volvo station wagon until 2019 when it was totaled by an idiot. I'd love to get another wagon.

Because people refused to buy them when they were called station wagons.
So they reinvented them, calling them “crossover SUVs”.
In England, they were referred to as “estate cars”, I don’t know if that term is used any more, either.
Cars that are classed as a Crossover's are.
  • Audi Q3
  • Acura RDX
  • Acura ZDX
  • BMW X1
  • BMW X6
  • Buick Enclave
  • Cadillac SRX
  • Chevrolet Equinox
  • Chevrolet Trax
  • Chrysler Pacifica
  • Dodge Journey
  • Ford Edge
  • Ford Ecosport
  • Ford Explorer
  • Hyundai Tucson
  • Jeep Renegade
  • Honda BR-V
  • Honda Crosstour
  • Lexus NX
  • Mazda CX-3
  • Mazda CX-9
  • Mitsubishi Endeavor
  • Nissan Murano
  • Nissan X-Trail
  • Opel Antara
  • Peugeot 2008
  • Range Rover Evoque
  • Renault Kadjar
  • Tata Aria
  • Toyota Rav4
  • Saab 9-4X
  • Subaru Tribeca
  • Volvo XC60
These are some, (not all) cars that are classed as Estate cars, and yes, we still use that term here.

• Skoda Octavia Estate.
  • 3 Series Touring.
  • Mercedes C-Class Estate.
  • Mercedes E-Class Estate.
  • BMW 5 Series Touring.
  • Toyota Corolla Touring Sports.
  • Skoda Superb Estate.
  • MG 5 EV.

Karl, is it true the over filling (topping off) the fuel tank can cause the vapor canister purge valve to fail?
If so, how? Fuel gets into it or too much pressure.

I have always topped off my tank, not anymore! I just replaced the vapor canister purge valve on my Chevy Sonic.
Oh yes, that’s very true! When the pump clicks off, you stop. No rounding it up to the next dollar.

English Electric Class 55, seriously thinking of ordering one of these, not the prettiest Loco I'll admit, but at £260 (DCC, sound,directional lights etc) better than Hornby's recent offerings. (due Q1 2024)

1674848345929.png

Specifications​

Built1961-1962
Number Built22
Wheel ConfigurationCo’Co’
Wheel Diameter3 ft 9 in
Wheelbase58ft 6in
Length69ft 6in
Width8ft 9 1/2in
Height12ft 10in
Weight99 long tons
Fuel Capacity900 imp gal
Prime MoverNapier Deltic D18-25 x2
GeneratorEnglish Electric DC Generator
Train BrakesVacuum

Later fitted with air
Max Speed100 mph
Horsepower1,650 hp x2
Tractive EffortMax: 50,000

Continuous:30,500

Last edited:
Except there is a difference between a crossover SUV and a station wagon. Station Wagons are not lifted with big tires and large clearance and have actual hauling capacity in the back. Crossovers have higher ground clearance and bigger tires, and typically not as good of cargo space as its more a large hatchback or coupe with big tires. Totally stupid.

There are very few true station wagons left. I read recently only Volvo and Subaru have true wagons still. We had a Volvo station wagon until 2019 when it was totaled by an idiot. I'd love to get another wagon.
I used to do fleet maintenance for a company that had Buick Roadmasters for their salesmen. If i Rember correctly the Roadmaster had a little over 50' of cargo space.
1674855164161.png

My friend had one of these. I think it was even bigger than the Roadmaster!
1674854822572.png

My 2020 chevy equinox gets a little over 30MPG. Neither of those station wagons came close!
I forgot to mention, my equinox has great ground clearance. Even more than my Chevy city express mini cargo van. The AWD makes it almost like a mountain goat!

Last edited:
Even though I'm an American, I've always liked these engines, I don't know why, but they're just really cool. If I were to get one I'm not sure what I would do with it, I don't think it would fit well on a North-Midwest themed layout 😂. I guess it wouldn't be any different than anyone else in the world having an American locomotive on their layout. $322 USD is kinda expensive though. What company is producing this model? I know you mentioned Hornby but in the sense you were saying it I don't think that's who is producing it.

Hmmmm... I discovered a new youtubz channel that is going to get me to spend money.

I'm just beginning my whiskey journey, and I'm self-limiting to $50 bottles (or less), except for special occasions.

And this gent seems to have a decent channel. The whiskies that he describes, I want to try and see if I like what he likes.

Hmmmm... I discovered a new youtubz channel that is going to get me to spend money.

I'm just beginning my whiskey journey, and I'm self-limiting to $50 bottles (or less), except for special occasions.

And this gent seems to have a decent channel. The whiskies that he describes, I want to try and see if I like what he likes.

Every Canadian whiskey I've had has been good.

Any Bourbon I have had is good. Evan Williams is what I keep in the cabinet.

Come to think of it, I never had whiskey I didn't like.

Jameson is my favorite whiskey!

At 2-3 shots per year, I have more than a lifetime supply.

English Electric Class 55, seriously thinking of ordering one of these, not the prettiest Loco I'll admit, but at £260 (DCC, sound,directional lights etc) better than Hornby's recent offerings. (due Q1 2024)

View attachment 160790

Specifications​

Built1961-1962
Number Built22
Wheel ConfigurationCo’Co’
Wheel Diameter3 ft 9 in
Wheelbase58ft 6in
Length69ft 6in
Width8ft 9 1/2in
Height12ft 10in
Weight99 long tons
Fuel Capacity900 imp gal
Prime MoverNapier Deltic D18-25 x2
GeneratorEnglish Electric DC Generator
Train BrakesVacuum

Later fitted with air
Max Speed100 mph
Horsepower1,650 hp x2
Tractive EffortMax: 50,000

Continuous:30,500
Ugly as sin but probably… nope not going there. Interesting locomotive

Well it's Friday!

The eve of my road trip! I am ready to go! I will be headed out before sunrise to pick-up another fella who will be going with me. He happens to be an engineer for a shortline RR near me. He is also an ALCO fan. It so happens the shortline has an all ALCO fleet that contains RS2s, RS36s S1 and S2. Recently the short line acquired a RS1 as well. Pretty cool.

Tomorrow weather should be a little warmer so that bodes well with me and traveling conditions. I have my list, cash, plastic and my lunch/snacks with drinks packed. All set!

I am gojng to head out for a dinner at the Texas Roadhouse tonight to grab a bite for steak, bake tater loaded with a salad then head home to run a few trains. Gonna go to bed early too!

Ya'll have a good evening and weekend! I will of course post up the loot I get from the show and post a few videos on my YouTube channel as well. Speaking of which I uploaded a few more short clips of testing various locomotives. All have sound too. Nothing special going on but things are coming with changes and updates for the layout.

Last edited:
Ugly as sin but probably… nope not going there. Interesting locomotive

I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think most US diesel prototypes are ugly as sin, with the exception of the E/F series types... Cool as sin as well. But very utilitarian in looks. Personally I prefer the European and Japanese locomotives for style and flair. YMMV.

FWIW: I do have SD70ACe and ES44 of some type from UP as my sole US prototypes... and I bought more well cars for them recently

Well it's Friday!

The eve of my road trip! I am ready to go! I will be headed out before sunrise to pick-up another fella who will be going with me. He happens to be an engineer for a shortline RR near me. He is also an ALCO fan. It so happens the shortline has an all ALOC fleet that contains RS2s, RS36s S1 and S2. Recently the short line acquired a RS1 as well. Pretty cool.

Tomorrow weather should be a little warmer so that bodes well with me and traveling conditions. I have my list, cash, plastic and my lunch/snacks with drinks packed. All set!

I am gojng to head out for a dinner at the Texas Roadhouse tonight to grab a bite for steak, bake tater loaded with a salad then head home to run a few trains. Gonna go to bed early too!

Ya'll have a good evening and weekend! I will of course post up the loot I get from the show and post a few videos on my YouTube channel as well. Speaking of which I uploaded a few more short clips of testing various locomotives. All have sound too. Nothing special going on but things are coming with changes and updates for the layout.

Have a good journey, stay safe. :)

Today's house update: We spent about 90 minutes today. Cloudy but around 37F. Not bad compared to the 25F we worked in last week and earlier this week.

We filled in the spot that was still needed on the one wall (see pic). Unfortunately, my son filled in the last piece by the seam and he cut it to match the piece underneath instead of closing up the gap so we'll need to foam that gap at the seam and remember to close it in a little on the next level, You can better see on the extreme right side of the wall how we cut a short piece yesterday to fill out the wall right of the T and then added a block on top. The Hole cut in it is where the T is and the concrete will flow between the back wall and the one coming off it...

IMG_2345.jpeg

We also put in 3 20' rebar lengths in the long wall on the south and one on the corner wall to it on the east by the porch, getting ready for the next layer. Still need to add the extra 2" insulation and the straightener and a corner rebar tomorrow but we started to get ready :) Also measured out the windows and marked the windos positions on the wall on the South, and also the window number per plan, sill height, etc so we'll know where not to put in rebar etc.

Tomorrow my brother in law is coming down to help and his 20 or 21 year old son wants to come and help. His sone asked if he could come down and he said he would donate his time (not asking to get paid). I said he could come and I would be happy to pay him but he said he wants to donate his time. I said we could argue about it Saturday. I asked his dad today what was up and he said that his son, who has been working construction building houses, has plenty of money socked away and doesn't care about a days worth but is more interested in learning about and getting experience with ICF (insulated concrete forms -- the foam block construction we are using) as he has never worked with it before and wants to get that experience and knowledge. I'm happy to pay him but don't want to offend him or make a big deal about it -- he is a good kid and so we'll see how it turns out. I told his dad that at least I would feed him. I'll have a few donuts when they arrive, and provide lunch and maybe dinner depending on their schedule etc.

Tomorrow I'll have my BIL and his son add in the second side to rebuild the blocks where we just have the one (as can be seen in the pic above in the piece coming out from the wall) and then we'll add the blocks to that to get it to be like the other ones we've done. We also need to build corners on the garage and get that to be the same height and then work on the next row of foam if we have time... They said they'd be here around 9am which will give us 8 hours at a min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back