Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gang!

What can I say, but today was a Monday! Phone at 7:30 said it was 36° and raining. Outside it was 30° and snowing. SWMBO left for work and called me shortly after to let me know the roads were a skating rink, with 2WD and RWD vehicles all over the place. Her Equinox is AWD so it just goes wherever it is pointed.

I followed her an hour later , but the temps had increased so it was just a wet slush. Drs. appointment #1 was interesting. I saw one of the other doctors (there are 4 in the practice) and as he is reviewing my history he asked me how I have been feeling in the 4-5 years since my heart attack.
"My what?"
Your heart attack, back in October of 2018 he continued. Back then I did have an episode where I was short of breath, sweaty, weak and a little incoherent and took an ambulance ride. 2 days of testing, probing, stress tests and a heart cath and the hospital said they had no idea what happened to me. Recently I have noticed a little loss of physical performance in strenuous stuff and my regular Doctor sent me to a cardiologist. More on that in a bit.
At my last visit my sugar and cholesterol readings were a bit off, so my regular Doc did blood work, changed med, and today we just a follow up visit for that . So I left there today puzzled, and with 2 new holes in my arm from them trying to draw blood.
This afternoon I speak with my cardiologist to go over all the tests she has recently had me undergo. Test results came back fine, BP 116 over 65, Blood O2 89%, heartrate good. Still a slight murmur but ok. EKG OK, All systems are go and stay the course. So then I asked her if she had reviewed my history, specifically all the way back to 2018. She actually had records on my going back prior to that, all the way back to my stroke in 2010. Yes, I did have a heart attack, a minor one, but one nonetheless. Why was I never told at the hospital?? This is the same hospital that "warehoused" me for a day and a half when I had my stroke, until my wife raised enough hell that I was transferred to University of MD hospital in Baltimore.
I told SWMBO tonight, If I have another attack, a car wreck, a shotgun wound, or even a hangnail. Don't EVER take me to our local hospital again. Just take me to the Veterinarian, it's closer and I'll get better care.
Anyhow, sorry about the rant, I'm just so torqued up about it!

Speaking of torque. I do still do a lot of work on my own cars, especially if I can get Son#3 to assist. It's so much more fun with him around. Of all 5 of the kids, he's the most like me. Not just now when it's freezing cold outside. 50° and up I say lets get our hands dirty! I already know when I pass, there are 2 large red roll tool chests check full of tools that are going to him.

Sherril congrats on the news on MIL's place. I'm sure that is a load off your mind.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Well said Alan.

Terry,
I have not known you to keep your mouth shut in the past, what pray tell have you bottled up this time!!

CSX5115.jpg

Another shot, Eastbound just west of Sykesville. Almost looks like a model, with Supertrees and Silfor for greenery.

oldmainintherain.jpg

More of the B&O old main, at the Route 97 grade crossing on a rainy summer evening in 2006. This was always a short train that would pass around 6:30 each weekday evening, usually 2 units and a dozen covered hoppers of plastic pellets bound for a plant near Frederick MD.

Nite all!

Evening gang!

I am having the jitters.....the excitment build up...... to going to the big E show lol

Ya I am losing it lol

no really just looking forward to going. We had 10 inches of snow here that fell last night. It will mostly be gone by Friday. Friday warmer weather and even warmer on Saturday. I cannot remember the last time I went to the show with no inclement weather. It was either snow or rain.

Well sorry guys I did not watch a single game this past weekend just the game highlights really. I had my nephew over Saturday and we just hung out and cooked a Thai dinner. Showed him my train room too. He was impressed with all the stuff. lol I told him he needs to find a hobby that will relax him and keep his peace of mind. He is working on that.

I went into the office today but closed it early. I will work from home tomorrow. I have a locomotive I scored off the evil bay coming tomorrow for under a hundred bucks no sound but DCC and it's an Athearn RTR 94737 EMD GP40X Helm Leasing HLCX 4300. I have been looking for one of these for a while. I wamt to get this weathered up nice and dirty. I will add sound to it later maybe. I have plans for the locomotive to be used with another GP unit that has sound.

At the show I hope to find some elusive things and there may be some impulsive buys too. I need a couple more decoders. YankeeDabbler always goes to the show and I usually buy from them at discount. Also looking for a Walthers Cement Kit.....there is like 3 different ones out there. I am looking for the Red Cement or Medusa Cement Kit. The show usually have better prices. I won't use the signs as I do not like the names. I will have to make up some new name to better suit my liking.

cornerstone_seriesr_red_x_cement_deluxe_kit_wresin_details_limited-run_933-3704.gifmedusa_cement_company_933-3019.gifmedusa_cement_company_933-3019_pkg_big.jpg

If I find it, it will go near my Big Stones Aggregate Company. Anyhow I have a few other things on the hit list. I would like to find some deals on some HO vehicles too. A couple of dump trucks and the like.

I just scored an ALCO switcher while typing this post lol. Yup an ALCO with sound! Atlas Master Line 10 001 925 Alco S-2 Union Pacific UP 1113 DCC ESU sound.

Well I am going to call it a night as today was a full day I have a few chores to do before going to bed.

Ya'll have a good night!

Good evening. Still 37° and cloudy. been that way pretty much all day since the downpour around 0700. Was sunny, just before sunset, but was very cloudy when I took the garbage out at 2000.

I have been struggling, not to get mad when I read a current news item...just state the facts, leave the excuses for the person involved. In a related matter, one NYC TV station has taken to issuing "Yellow Alerts" for "normal" winter rain events, such as what we had overnight. Everything is now Armageddon.
Dug out two P2K GP7s, (Reading), that have sat in a storage box for at least 5 years. They still respond to the consist program, and run quite well together. They have TCS P2K silent decoders. Spent a good part of Sunday, running them back and forth, end to end. I believe I replaced the axels, when I installed Kadees and the decoders.

RDG GP-7 consist.jpg

My layout is largely unfinished, scenery wise, and the white card stock represents the footprint of the Penn Steel Castings Company. I will be using several Walthers Vulcan Mfg Co buildings, to capture the appearance of the circa 1890 structures. Prototype burned down in a spectac ular fire, in 1971 or 1972. The site was later part of an Anthracite burning Co-gen plant, which was demolished last year., so it's one big vacant chunk of riverfront property.

Not a whole lot of other stuff going on today, so I spent several hours switching cars and industries on the Reading side of my layout. The GP7s made a round trip in transfer Service moving cars from one side of the layout to another.

PC 7189 April1968.jpg

Not sure of the source, but this ex PRR GP-9, (Class ERS17), was photographed in April, 1968, making this one of the very first Penn Central repaints.
Location Unknown.

Good evening gang!

What can I say, but today was a Monday! Phone at 7:30 said it was 36° and raining. Outside it was 30° and snowing. SWMBO left for work and called me shortly after to let me know the roads were a skating rink, with 2WD and RWD vehicles all over the place. Her Equinox is AWD so it just goes wherever it is pointed.

I followed her an hour later , but the temps had increased so it was just a wet slush. Drs. appointment #1 was interesting. I saw one of the other doctors (there are 4 in the practice) and as he is reviewing my history he asked me how I have been feeling in the 4-5 years since my heart attack.
"My what?"
Your heart attack, back in October of 2018 he continued. Back then I did have an episode where I was short of breath, sweaty, weak and a little incoherent and took an ambulance ride. 2 days of testing, probing, stress tests and a heart cath and the hospital said they had no idea what happened to me. Recently I have noticed a little loss of physical performance in strenuous stuff and my regular Doctor sent me to a cardiologist. More on that in a bit.
At my last visit my sugar and cholesterol readings were a bit off, so my regular Doc did blood work, changed med, and today we just a follow up visit for that . So I left there today puzzled, and with 2 new holes in my arm from them trying to draw blood.
This afternoon I speak with my cardiologist to go over all the tests she has recently had me undergo. Test results came back fine, BP 116 over 65, Blood O2 89%, heartrate good. Still a slight murmur but ok. EKG OK, All systems are go and stay the course. So then I asked her if she had reviewed my history, specifically all the way back to 2018. She actually had records on my going back prior to that, all the way back to my stroke in 2010. Yes, I did have a heart attack, a minor one, but one nonetheless. Why was I never told at the hospital?? This is the same hospital that "warehoused" me for a day and a half when I had my stroke, until my wife raised enough hell that I was transferred to University of MD hospital in Baltimore.
I told SWMBO tonight, If I have another attack, a car wreck, a shotgun wound, or even a hangnail. Don't EVER take me to our local hospital again. Just take me to the Veterinarian, it's closer and I'll get better care.
Anyhow, sorry about the rant, I'm just so torqued up about it!
I see you went through something similar to what my kid did with the doctors blithely causing panic over something long past.

Morning all,

I guess the rumors of snow yesterday were premature. Rain today turning to snow by going home time, expecting a high later in the mid to upper 30's. Depending on source you listen to, we'll have 1"-3", 2"-4" or none. Based on what's in Oklahoma and it's path, I think we'll get about 1" in the local area. I think we'll stay on the north and west sides as the low passes to the east.

Still waiting with baited breath for our next steps...

I spent some time last night cleaning my locomotive and then I assembled a 37-car consist, with the heaviest cars up front. This Kato SD70ACe is quite a strong puller. I'm happily surprised by the XL Systems drop-in sound decoder for the N scale loco. A lot of stuff crammed under the shell of this loco!

This is teh first video since I've done the water in the river. I still have a lot of work to do, but it's nice to have trains running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back