Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, +23°F and calm, forecast is freezing rain but temps later above freezing so roads fine now and should be fine this afternoon in east central Minnesota.

Patrick - I hope the day is easy and you can enjoy your days off!

Sherrel - you folks are right at "normal" for rainfall. I think the word they use should be "average" since normal seems to be highly subjective these days.

Gary - the build is beautiful but in my mind needs a little soot or something, I assume this building was up during Steam?

Louis - I wondered where you were yesterday I guess you don't need a note from wife with an excuse

back later, Dave LASM
Yes, it was during the steam era. It was damaged during the Halifax Explosion and they eventually tore it down when a newer one was built in the south end of Halifax. My layout has it as if the explosion never occurred. It is now where I park my car for the Navy dockyard…. And yes, mine is a different colour with some added weathering happening.

Out of curiosity, did you watch any of the J6 committee hearings? I agree that most congressional hearings are a clown show for politcal gain. This one is different. As were the Watergate hearings.

The problem is: We, the public, have little information about the background of the events of J6. Mostly, that's good, because of ongoing criminal investigations. So, any window into the background is enlightening.

(Trying to stick to the criminal side of this, and avoid the polytics)

Since Georgia's Fani Willis is bound by Grand Jury rules, her criminal investigations into the events of several phone calls to election officials are under seal. For now. As is much of what the DOJ is doing. All we can follow is the prosecutions of the various criminals (there have been very few found innocent or dismissed, and most of that few have been under judges appointed by the former guy). And the Jan 6 comittee has transcripts, and transcripts, and transcripts... Some of those are damning, and some will help the defense lawyers. That's why they bear in depth examination.

And, they're about all that we the public have right now.

So, the only two windows into the background of the Jan 6 events are Trials, pre-trial motions and findings (Jon Eastman's long and winding email trail is an excellent example...), and the trials of the OathKeepers like Elmer Stuart Rhodes and his co-defendents (several of which were in the military "stack" of camo-clad rioters moving into the Capitol. There were a lot of guilty verdicts or pleadings this past year.

So, while I agree that congress rarely does "investigations" well, I am waiting with bated breath ;) for the HBLT hearings (WaPo has excellent coverage on those emails, but that won't stop the circus from happening),

IMHO: (after watching the hearings) The J6 committee has done a fair job of investigation. They hired quite a few good former federal prosecutors to conduct the nitty gritty, several with R after their names. The exposure of the laywer shenanigans around Cassiday Hutchin's testimony sheds a lot of light on what the opposition to the criminal proceedings are doing.

In 2023, I expect we'll see Fani Willis start making indictments (Grand Jury rules are "different" in Georgia, so the process is not exactly the same as the federal process). And Special Counsel Jack Smith isn't afraid to sling subpoenas or fire off court filings/responses. This is going to be a fun year, between the clown show in the Capitol, and the way the investigations play out.

We are being told many things about what "will happen". What matters to me, is what is happening.

What "will" happen:

Bitcoin will hit a million dollars
Fried will start a new company and still be rich
Fried will spend his life in prison
We will have a recession
We won't have a recession
Bill Gates will save the planet, in partnership with Greta Thurnburg
Our efforts will escalate the war
Our politicians will not get rich off the stock market
The Fed will wreck the economy
We will all be driving electric cars
We will all be rich if we invest in stocks... (who will then be cleaning the toilets, that is my concern)

We are being told many things about what "will happen". What matters to me, is what is happening.

What "will" happen:

We will have a recession
We will all be rich if we invest in stocks... (who will then be cleaning the toilets, that is my concern)
I enjoy this forum too much to discuss politics. That’s all.

What "will" happen:

We will have a recession
Bitcoin, we did the stock market and the other half watched trends and made cash sometimes good cash once he dyslexically bought the wrong shares 100 down the drain lol, but his rule was one rule and it was absolute, ONLY risk what you can afford to lose.

I have horrible worries, as we have had a recession I am concerned we might have a depression, and China opening up its Covid worries me as to which flavour of Covid(s) they will be letting loose, and sharing.

The war is an issue, anyway the government jumps will in hindsight be trashed with how they could have done it better, but in my opinion in we drop Ukraine, and Russia takes it it won’t just be ex USSR at stake, China N Korea Iran Pakistan et al will see it as weakness and where USA has thanklessly at own cost policed much of the world (for the good or bad of it depending who or when you are) will have others thinking we too can take advantage. I am more concerned that we spend enough to update and replace, I am a firm believe a big stick is a big deterrent. And yes everyone throws the nuclear card at USA BUT they calmed down and stepped back…..not certain others would. Many countries are safer because of the USA, and I am hearted;y sick of them being panned over it

I also am sick (sorry if this offends) over the slavery slurs, the English and the Americans stopped slavery, and yet it still openly exists in large numbers in parts of this world, yet we are panned for what our ancestors did, not us,not our dads or granddads but ancestors. Yes there were atrocities, but keep it real, you should only be able to sue a person for their own acts.

Wrecking an economy, takes a large number of factors, very rare a single items causes such failures although admittedly a single act can be the straw that breaks the camels back, again history can twist and turn it to match whatever agenda they want, hopecfully we can keep enough of an even keel to sail through all the shit and bullshit. and fashion effects everyone, look at Tesla shares at the moment. For a man willing to sell his company for 1 dollar I seriously doubt he is crying in his soup any moment now. I would happily take on his money woes.

Greta….ah well Greta, yes she could get me banned, or at least slapped. least said, I wish her no Ill, but I find her tedious at best.If someone has her influence they should stick to dry facts. In my opinion, her parents using a child like that is abuse….no no I’ve stopped promise.

Politicians get rich, duh! I think I am correct in saying Biden has family money in armaments, please feel free to tell me I am wrong. But in this instance, I personally think we abandon the Ukranians, some one recently said the war is costing NATO members money, but it is costing Ukrainians blood, and if we drop the Ukrainians…it will cost us blood also. Inflation recession depression all better than blood.

Okay okay this will get deleted.

Can I add this in my defence…
A2D2E5F6-C62F-453A-A675-684EB9D6EC5A.jpeg
BD19DE48-B5BB-4FD1-BA4D-E0656BCCB212.jpeg
5D30BD3D-AA8D-40EA-9F7C-E037DB786327.jpeg
D9A80AB0-5603-4853-A472-1ECFC39840BF.jpeg
5AA28046-E800-4AB0-B821-F2A1A10672C1.jpeg
05CEC3D2-B70D-4E6F-A283-517B4B5D8B02.jpeg

Good late morning to y'all.

Been bizzy bizzy this mornin, just got a chance to catch my breath! I just keep saying to myself, only 5 more years, only 5 more years!!😛

I can't wait!

I remember "what's happening"!! LOL

whats-happening-mc-main-210421-v2.jpg

I even remember seeing reruns of Rerun!

Yes. I'm getting daffy in my old age!

Seriously, the odd thing I found about getting older is filters.

The filters on my ears seem to block out things that bothered me so seems to work very well. The one on my mouth that stops me from speaking my mind isn't working so well anymore.

BBL (that's a warning)😁

Daughter dropped off and I've made it home in one piece, visit with the nephew went ok, unfortunately his house looked liked it hadn't seen a vacuum in several decades, spent 20 mins fixing the wiring on it, so he has no excuse for next time I visit. But man, what a mess. :(

Our kids went together and bought me and my wife a "Birdfy" for Christmas.

It's a bird feeder with a built in video camera. that connects to your home wifi. I've been getting alerts all morning about birds using the feeder, and get to see like a 10 second clip of them at the feeder. Pretty neat. Something I never would have bought or myself.

Afternoon All,

Spent about 90 minutes really cleaning the house and putting furniture back where it belongs. After that I did pretty much nothing except taking the garbage to the street for tomorrow. Current temp is 77F. I'm back to wearing shorts :) again. I checked the shipping status on the T/O and it seems to be on track for delivery tomorrow...see what I did there? :D

Thank you all for the photo likes yesterday.

Dave- Thank you. I've seen it 3 times.

Sherrel- Great song and group.

Chad- The pistachio's sound interesting.

Gary- Beautiful station. I'm assuming when you say explosion, you're talking about the ammo ship during WWII?

Troy- Giter done!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well,

A bit over an hour left in my day, and it's been pretty quiet so far. I know I just cocked that up by acknowledging it's been quiet...lol

Hopefully I'm good in the morning as I really need to visit an old lady in the nursing home and will probably take another old lady with me, if she feels up to the ride. Wife is now officially 3 years older than me...until February.

While I hope to actually get some motivation to get into the basement with the trains over my 4 day weekend, we are still celebrating the family Christmas on Sunday. Got some prep work to do on Saturday, so who knows. Having a Mexican meal, so tacos, enchiladas, etc. are on the menu.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

shoes, work shoes were 5 pairs of Italian leather and each were resoled many times. Had to wear soxes.

casual shoes we’re and still are Docker brands, no soxes.

Canvas type had been since retirement (2014) New Balance and no soxes. Basically used 85% of the time I am wearing shoes. Have just before T-giving in November switched to Sketchers and no soxes.

However, going out today I wore my first pair of diabetic compression ankle soxes and they suck. But, I promised my doctor I would try them. Tomorrow, I will try the full sized diabetic compression soxes.

it’s fun getting older!

Afternoon All,

Spent about 90 minutes really cleaning the house and putting furniture back where it belongs. After that I did pretty much nothing except taking the garbage to the street for tomorrow. Current temp is 77F. I'm back to wearing shorts :) again. I checked the shipping status on the T/O and it seems to be on track for delivery tomorrow...see what I did there? :D

Thank you all for the photo likes yesterday.

Dave- Thank you. I've seen it 3 times.

Sherrel- Great song and group.

Chad- The pistachio's sound interesting.

Gary- Beautiful station. I'm assuming when you say explosion, you're talking about the ammo ship during WWII?

Troy- Giter done!

I hope everyone has a good night.
That is correct, the ammunition ship that exploded, Mont Blanc and IMO.

Finally got some train time in, sorted out the curve by the diorama, it's been driving me nuts for weeks, all my 6 leggers derail on that curve, couldn't work out why till I used the stool to see over into that corner, seems where the track joiner is there was a kink, so when the truck went over it it kicked the rear axle out made it climb out the track, straightened that out (unscrew two screws, and move track 2mm), double checked that it was level (it is now) works a treat, now to start weathering the sand tower, a good day all in all. :)

I will try the full sized diabetic compression soxes.
I wear knee length compression sox due to calf and ankle swelling. They work fine, and fit well, as long as swelling is not present, but if there is swelling, what a pain to get on and off. BTW, they are black and go perfectly wit Italian Leather, but look stupid with Sketchers. At least the Levis hide them, but if I;m wearing shorts, the sox are left in the drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back