Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. 35f degrees now heading to 50. We are having a strange Fall.

Saw the Endocrinologist yesterday afternoon. Things are fine. I have been off the Gliperzide 6 weeks but she is now reducing the Metformin to just 1000mg a day. Leaving I stopped to set up my next appointment in 6 months. Video conference only in June of 2023 and all full in May, 2023. Next in person visit was January of 2024. As I was heading to the elevator I turned around and asked if I could have that date in January and then June of 2024. Got them. How ridiculous the need to schedule that far out for in person visits. The receptionist said this is the trend now, video visits instead of in person. 1st time in my life I felt old fashion. I’m one who wants my Endo doctor to lay some hands on parts of me, neck, feet for you strange thinkers out there!

Haircut at 9:00. No grocery run today. There are 3 items on the need list and none are food. I am however out of Diet Dr Pepper for the first time in years. 4 days now but no shakes. I just won’t pay $14.00 for 4 packs of 6-16.9 ounce bottles. Deals started yesterday 4 for $11 so Terry will stop while I get my haircut. I still cannot drive.

I will get some paper mill time in today.

enjoy your day

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. 35f degrees now heading to 50. We are having a strange Fall.

Saw the Endocrinologist yesterday afternoon. Things are fine. I have been off the Gliperzide 6 weeks but she is now reducing the Metformin to just 1000mg a day. Leaving I stopped to set up my next appointment in 6 months. Video conference only in June of 2023 and all full in May, 2023. Next in person visit was January of 2024. As I was heading to the elevator I turned around and asked if I could have that date in January and then June of 2024. Got them. How ridiculous the need to schedule that far out for in person visits. The receptionist said this is the trend now, video visits instead of in person. 1st time in my life I felt old fashion. I’m one who wants my Endo doctor to lay some hands on parts of me, neck, feet for you strange thinkers out there!

Haircut at 9:00. No grocery run today. There are 3 items on the need list and none are food. I am however out of Diet Dr Pepper for the first time in years. 4 days now but no shakes. I just won’t pay $14.00 for 4 packs of 6-16.9 ounce bottles. Deals started yesterday 4 for $11 so Terry will stop while I get my haircut. I still cannot drive.

I will get some paper mill time in today.

enjoy your day
Tom: Metformin is messy at 500mg, 1000 - boy! See if you can get Ozempic, much easier and as far as I know the cost is close to the same. The tiny needle in the pen I don't even feel. I hate taking pills!

Later

Good morning all, it is a balmy 31° F in east central Minnesota, light breeze, a very nice morning esp. compared to yesterday when I woke up to -4°F.

Ran trains some last night switched back over to the Varney 10 wheeler, ran sweet. Parked the SW-1 on a siding for now. Still haven't gotten around to putting the cows in the pasture, maybe tomorrow.

TomO - good to know about the LG issues. Reminds me of the anti lock brakes on my 1992 chevy 4 dr blazer. Bought it new. Anti lock light comes on at 2 months. Took it in. Came on again a month later. Took it in. I think they just cleared it. Long story short, it never got fixed, the warranty finally ran out and they said there is nothing they can do about it. When I traded it in, the anti lock light was still on. They scammed me on that one, must be one of their tricks to avoid fixing problems.

Willie - we used to feed sweepings to our hogs. Got them at the local feed mill too. I like the way you finished off the corner building in the top photo posted today, I think I will copy that scheme on one I will be putting together.

back later, Dave LASM

Hello happy people !
Meet our new lovely little girl MIRBELLE. A two-month-old Golden retriever. We are very happy to live with two dogs (we already have a nine-year-old Golden Retriever).
But we'll never forget Iris who remains in our hearts forever. 😍

MYRBEL.jpg

My daughter has had a "cold" for the last two weeks. This week is very mild and she even went to a swim practice yesterday -- Just a slightly scratchy throat. But the week of thanksgiving she had a lot of cough and stuff and it started the end of the week before Thanksgiving week. I think it was RSV -- Respiratory Syncytial Virus infection -- a common one especially in kids. Seems half the kids in Utah have it -- my wife said her hospital has been taking 14-17 year olds from the ICU of the associated children's hospital since that children's hospital didn't have enough beds for respiratory issues.

Anyway, Sun - Tuesday night this week I would go to sleep for a few hours, wake up and not be able to go back to sleep, and finally drift off for the last couple hours. So I was getting 4-5 hours of not great sleep. I started to feel scratchy and cough and plugged up and still am, though the last two nights I've slept much better and feel a bit better. Still coughing and scratchy chest etc.

We are planning on leaving to Japan early next Friday for our first trip since 2019 summer. One of the requirements that affects are family on trying to enter Japan is that we need to show a negative C19 test (they have a list of tests they find acceptable). These are "real" lab tests with lab signed results they require, given no more than 72 hours before the first flight.

So I was worrying in case our sickness may have been C19 related, though we didn't think so. So I got some rapid antigen tests from Amazon yesterday (ordered in the afternoon -- delivered by early evening). I took one and it came back negative. Which is a big relief. I'll do another this weekend and have the daughter do one and maybe the wife and son do the last two (5 test kit) just for the piece of mind. I still need to find a place that does travel related Covid testing around here and I expect we';;be paying $75-$100+ per person :(. It is a racket.

---

Snowed 4"-6" it appears over night. Daughter's school is canceled, which is nice as there are a lot of work pressures right now as I try and wrap up in order to be able to leave next week. Her school is on the other side of the valley and they probably got a lot more snow over there than we did on our side.

I'm trying to get all the tied rebar on the garage slab lifted, and a small amount of corner foam installed and the foam we did last weekend braced so that we can get poured. This snow didn't help for that. This is pouring of the concrete over the pre-stressed slabs that were placed a week and a half ago...

Also got word that the heat pump unit was shipped. I need to follow the track to make sure it gets here before we leave. I may also need to find someone who can store it for me as it is small but heavy and our motorized stair climbing/descending dolly can't help us get it across the dirt from the street to the house (no poured driveway yet).

Tom: Metformin is messy at 500mg, 1000 - boy! See if you can get Ozempic, much easier and as far as I know the cost is close to the same. The tiny needle in the pen I don't even feel. I hate taking pills!

Later
Todd, I didn’t mention the Ozempic. I pick up my Perscription today and will start the once a week shot on Sunday. She says 4 weeks of the reduced Metformin to see how tolerate it. The plan in 8 weeks is to be off the Metformin also. Heck, I was thrilled getting off the Gliperzide and ecstatic yesterday when she reduced from 2000 to 1000mg of Metformin. Little steps!

Thanks

FWair.jpg

Greetings from the Ft Wayne IN airport! Leavin', on a jet plane in about an our hourish.

Wife and I are travelling with her sis and roomie. They got excited, and since they were in charge of transport to/from the airport, picked us up 2 hours early... So, we had time for an overpriced airport lunch.

Hoping that SIL and Roomie can get on the cruise on Sun. It's their first time cruising, and they have their first ever passports... so their cruise check in isn't completed yet. We should have started it a few weeks earlier, but medical issues were making us questing whether we'd be going. Those are under control, and we squeaked in the day before the online check-in deadline.

And we're in the 72 hour pre-cruise shut down of access to the checkin process.. Our Travel Agent (TA) figures its the new-cruiser lag while everything is checked out with Homeld Secty. We're just hoping they can pull up their boarding passes on their phones and we don't have to wave BYE from the deck as we leave them behind ;)

As the TA said, since cruising is an "Elder" activity, the cruise lines are used to Seniors not understanding online check-in, etc. We just need to give them time to get the system caught up.

We've got tomorrow, and some of Sunday Morning to cruise NOLA. After that, it's Cruise Ship Internet, so posting will be short and seldom from me.

Y'all have fun. I need to do a lap or two, get my jet-legs back. Or work off some of that overpriced burger.

View attachment 157039
Greetings from the Ft Wayne IN airport! Leavin', on a jet plane in about an our hourish.

Wife and I are travelling with her sis and roomie. They got excited, and since they were in charge of transport to/from the airport, picked us up 2 hours early... So, we had time for an overpriced airport lunch.

Hoping that SIL and Roomie can get on the cruise on Sun. It's their first time cruising, and they have their first ever passports... so their cruise check in isn't completed yet. We should have started it a few weeks earlier, but medical issues were making us questing whether we'd be going. Those are under control, and we squeaked in the day before the online check-in deadline.

And we're in the 72 hour pre-cruise shut down of access to the checkin process.. Our Travel Agent (TA) figures its the new-cruiser lag while everything is checked out with Homeld Secty. We're just hoping they can pull up their boarding passes on their phones and we don't have to wave BYE from the deck as we leave them behind ;)

As the TA said, since cruising is an "Elder" activity, the cruise lines are used to Seniors not understanding online check-in, etc. We just need to give them time to get the system caught up.

We've got tomorrow, and some of Sunday Morning to cruise NOLA. After that, it's Cruise Ship Internet, so posting will be short and seldom from me.

Y'all have fun. I need to do a lap or two, get my jet-legs back. Or work off some of that overpriced burger.
You are vacationing. Have fun, forget the prices!

For the season of being jolly, you do not want to fly into or out of our local airport.

Madison has been a top retirement destination, top city to live in, top in most post high school degrees and now we have the most expensive airport. The #1 hits just keep on coming. The son called this morning. It’s still cheaper for him to fly commercial though then it is to fly into the Middleton Executive Airport in his own plane. Seems he said aviation fuel has almost tripled since October when he flew here last time.

My comment was not well received. “ if you are complaining about fuel costs, maybe it’s time to sell the plane”.

CC51F1DB-EA23-488F-8552-2E68A7F8AFBA.png

View attachment 157039

Enjoy and have fun.

Good afternoon folks!

Today is a chill day. Grey skies feeling still like late fall early winter norms. Temperature is actually not too bad lika heat wave a perfect 40 degrees! No complaint here! So this weekend we have a local train show coming for one day only...on Sunday in the capitol region. Downtown Albany, NY aka small-bany. ;)

Anyways I am thinking of going although it is not a big one but there may be something worth going to. It will get me out of the house anyways....we shall see.

My sanding towers for the diesel facility did come in. I have not posted the pictures like I said I would 2 days ago. Been busy tending to my parents needs since they have COVID. I crashed early the last 2 nites before 10 PM which is totally out of character for me. My body says "hey bub time to re-charge them batteries" so that's what I did. My normal schedule is up at 5;30 AM and to bed after midnight every night sometimes 1 AM. Been that way for 35 years or so. I feel good today, rested but stress is still there with all the worrying with my parents and my older sister.

In the office today, shoulda stayed home. Not much going on. I managed to purchase a boxcar on evil bay though lol. Tonight i feel good enough to work in the train room. More cleaning and organization while running trains. I have 2 locomotives on the programing waiting list that need attention. One of them is a SD70Ace EMD Demo and another one is an ES44. I hope to get to them tonight.

Progress is slow on the bench organization but I will get there. I have been side tracked no pun intended. I did get 4 pieces of lumber painted in the garage that will be part of the upper shelving. (painted black) I have 2 more to do and 24 brackets to spray paint black as well. Then I can install that system to finish my intended plan. This shelf system goes completely around the room 1 inch above the door and window. It will hold memorabilia of RR stuff and the nature of stuff like that. After I complete that I will need to do something for under the bench work as well to store boxes and rolling stock. I have been on the hunt for 2 sets of "flat files" like Safco architectural files. A buddy of mine did this and it's fantastic. He actually did several of them. One of them he cut the top of the steel off to create a window like frame and set a tempered glass top on it. He then put caster wheels on it and uses at a coffee table in his hobby room ingenious! Looks awesome! I will put caster wheels on mine but it will be used to slide out from under the layout. trying to find them used at a decent price then I will paint them black.

So many things on my to do list but all in due time. I am still stacking more firewood when weather and time permits. I am behind on this...not good. Usually I am done with this early.

Refrigerators------

Man I have one in the garage that must be 25 years old. It runs better than anything new. It's an old GE. The one in my kitchen is an old Frigidaire that's probably just as old. I would not buy an LG, Samsung or any other manufacturer that made TVs or Cell phones sorry cannot do it. I do however like the freezer deals on the bottom as a slide out drawer. I am looking to get a new refrigerator when I start my re-model of the kitchen. I have already done my dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave and sink faucet this year. So the refrigerator and stove is next as well as redoing the cabinets & counter tops. My flooring is 80% done in the house
but held off in the kitchen area until I am ready.

Start at the 2 minute and 50 second mark ....this will twerk your brain. I love how the greatest generation built stuff!

Well that's enough rambling on. Ya'll have a great weekend and I will check later! I enjoyed reading up on ya'll posts!

Mom's fall has led to a seriously fast downhill slide. I've been considering which of the two options is better (neither one is all that good). Move her over here, or--at age 62!--move back home. As early as tonight, in fact.

The reality is that the floor-plan here just won't support her even short term, so I'm starting to pack things I'll need over there. She's only a mile away, so going back and forth isn't hard. But it does also mean that my internet access will be limited or gone altogether, at least for a time--there is no internet where she is, and while I'd like to have it available, it's pretty far down the priority list.

Sooooooo.........it's been fun. I appreciate that everyone here has been friendly and welcoming--thank you all.
And best of luck in your modeling endeavors.

Mom's fall has led to a seriously fast downhill slide. I've been considering which of the two options is better (neither one is all that good). Move her over here, or--at age 62!--move back home. As early as tonight, in fact.

The reality is that the floor-plan here just won't support her even short term, so I'm starting to pack things I'll need over there. She's only a mile away, so going back and forth isn't hard. But it does also mean that my internet access will be limited or gone altogether, at least for a time--there is no internet where she is, and while I'd like to have it available, it's pretty far down the priority list.

Sooooooo.........it's been fun. I appreciate that everyone here has been friendly and welcoming--thank you all.

Take care of family/ your mom! We will be here! Check in when you can!

Good afternoon,

Still warm now at 36°F supposed to get down to 4° F by 7 am, I suspect the wind will seriously pick up.

James - I don't know how you keep those hours. Even at your young age! I am up at 5 am but usually go to bed around 9 PM and fall asleep immediately. Bottom freezer - that is what my wife wanted when we got ours. However cause of covid etc none available so we have a top freezer. suits me fine.

Old appliances - saw a special on public TV a month or so ago went through the evolution of toasters and other household appliances. Some of those early ones were works of art, meant to be displayed. I did not know that. Kind of made my head spin when they went through the ice box and refrigerator evolution. So much I/we may have taken for granted with our modern conveniences.

Snowman - there will be a big hole here hope you keep us up on stuff

Wife says we are going out for supper, I already know what I am having, the 1/2# hamburger patty, dinner roll, cole slaw, and french fries. Going to the local greasy spoon "Crazy Mary's" in Finlayson MN, only about 3 miles from home.

TomO - Madison is a nice town, stayed there a couple times, was in that motel literally right on that lake on the edge of Campus and near downtown. We ate at that restruant in the motel as I remember, very pleasant atmosphere.

Dave LASM

Sorry to hear about your mom, but family first, a leave of absence is essential, but not forever, as Alco said, we will be here check in when you can.

Good Afternoon All!
28F and cloudy

Snow stopped sometime before midnight. Have about 18" on top of stuff and the dog paths are getting to look more like canyon's than trails. Probably will have to shovel a cul-de-sac between the 2 trees in the back not far off the porch for them to crap. Poor dogs! Didn't take a pix as nobody wants to see a pix of the same stuff over and over.

Wife work up at about 0100 to P and found that one of the pellet stoves was not working. She tried to have her way with it but it was not giving in. Woke me up and I actually did not grumble much - had to P also. Anyway, checked the stove and everything *looked* OkieDokie. Started it and fired up this forum while waiting to see what the issue was. Ok, so it don't ignite. Gave it another go while sitting next to it and I could not hear pellets dropping. Checked the seals and such which were tight. Easy test, jumped the vacuum detector and still didn't hear pellets dropping. By that time I had my 1st cup and it dawned on me - do not have ears in! Deeper we go. Have a UPS on it and watched when it when through the startup sequence - not enough load current to show me the igniter was working. Crap. Take the exit pipe off, crank the stove sideways a tad as it is too close to the wall to get me, test stuff and arms in. Disconnected the igniter and ohmed it - open circuit; should be about 50ohms. Go find igniters, tools and more coffee. Replacing the igniter is pretty easy although do you have to bend and squirm in ways that used to be fun. Got down to about 55F in the house while I was screwing around. So, waited to make sure the stove was going to re-light and vegetated. Bout 0800 found the recliner in the living room and snoozed until about 1100. What a life!

Decided that ima going to replace the igniter every spring cleaning as the stove has all the covers off to do so. I would rather do it this way than HAVE to do it when the stove wants. Igniters are cheap - $11 each for the 4 I bought last summer.

Later

Afternoon,

Trying to stay in one place, with the winds what they are. Plus side is it's currently 69°. High wind advisory out for the area.

Been a busy afternoon with unpacking and laundry. Took time out to get the 2nd booster as the wife needs one, although we have now had the stuff. Finally can take my shoes off for longer than 10 minutes. Drives the Mrs. nuts that I'm always bare or sock footed. Makes my knees hurt less.
I do have that started back up again as I missed a step when taking the laundry downstairs.

Christian: Nice puppy! Hope she provides years of love and companionship.

Snowman: Family first, we understand. Stop by when you can.

TomO: Been to Madison several times when I worked for the big Insurance company in town, although I was last there in 1998.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back