Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it was a gift, not a tip or any form of compensation... he made that clear. Gifts are not taxed to the recipient, they are taxed to the gifter, but there are large exemptions involved that get into complex federal tax regulations that, believe it or not, revolve around estate taxes.

You can gift up to $16,000 to any individual in 2022 and it is tax free to the recipient. The gifter is required to list gifts made each year. These gifts are then added into the estate value upon the gifter's death and taxed at that time. In reality, though, the lifetime exepmtion on the state tax is in the millions of dollars... so the vast majority of people have no need to report gifts and teh gifter cannot deduct teh gift on their taxes. The gift remains in the estate taxable value.

Any gifts below a certain threshold (I believe it's $15,000 now... used to be $10,000) are not required to be tracked on the gift tax returns..

As always, there are exception to the rules, and rules for the exceptions.
Yes. And the current gifting limit, at the receiving end is $15K, or was the last time I checked.

If "gifted" then the gift would not have split--as tips usually are, I think--among the staff, but would have come to the recipient alone.

Afternoon All,

Started with chores this morning then have been in stand by for the contractor which we have talked to him several times today. Saturday Dad and I with more train buddies are driving over to Ormond Beach to view a quality layout before the owner tears it down before he moves (I think he his).

TIPS- We always leave cash so management can't take a "cut" of it.

Louis- Since I have started walking in the early morning (before 6 am) we have started going to bed by 9 pm. We read for about 30 minutes before lights out.

Willie- Nice scenes and nice of you to take the time to show MRR'ing to someone with no experience.

Steve- Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Not offended at all, it was implied in all those type of movies.

Our local trash consumer

20221024_091846.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Steve:
The world has certainly changed since your quoted comment was made.That was indeed a common statement during WW2 and for a decade after, due to the Japanese initiated war of 1941-1945. In short, that was then and this now...Being addressed as "Yo Polak", or "Hay Polish Boy:, was common once...they never heard of Lithuania....but thankfully,they don't do much of that any more either. Sometimes I'm just as guilty, because it's difficult to overcome the practices of the past, especially when aggrivated while watching the news, but we all suffer from the same tendencies.
Don't be too harsh with yourself.

Offense is in the eye of the beholder.

Ethnicity - while growing up, there were lots of Polak jokes. I am half Polish, and I never felt offended. In fact, I am proud of my Polish heritage. The other half is a mix of Dutch, Swede, and whatever 13 generations in America can give a person.

As a kid the white kids would taunt the Puerto Ricans and vice versa. Then they'd go play kickball, or dodgeball, or basketball together. It was never personal and the kids knew it and everyone got along personally.

My wife is (obviously) a woman. Yet she is the first person to say, when she sees a bad driver, it is either a woman or grandpa or grandma (who would check both boxes) driving.

Being, on my mom's side, Norwegian and Swedish extract, I am not offended by Viking jokes and characterizations with big horns and loud behavior or raping and pillaging behavior. I know it is not aimed at me.

People who are offended by everything have other problems and their outlet for them is to allow themselves to be offended so they can blame others.

APologies to all, and moderators please delete. That was a terribly ethno-centric and rascist thing to say and some of you are perhaps triggered by that. I am ill and will attempt to do better in future.
Not to worry and no apology to me is needed. You were caught up in MR Do Gooder John Wayne in the War propaganda movies of the time. They were always enjoyable and safe to watch.

Ethinicity... makes me laugh a bit at my wife, who always says she has Russian heritage, when, in fact, it is Prussian... Her family has roots from the Dresden area of Germany, but they were more Chechen than German.

There's something about her that is immune to the difference between Prussia and Russia.

Ethinicity... makes me laugh a bit at my wife, who always says she has Russian heritage, when, in fact, it is Prussian... Her family has roots from the Dresden area of Germany, but they were more Chechen than German.

There's something about her that is immune to the difference between Prussia and Russia.

Especially since much of Prussia is Russia today (or Poland) but more importantly that the Baltic Germans were part of the Russian empire and served as generals and admirals (and privates) in the Russian army and navy going far back...

Ethnicity - while growing up, there were lots of Polak jokes. I am half Polish, and I never felt offended. In fact, I am proud of my Polish heritage. The other half is a mix of Dutch, Swede, and whatever 13 generations in America can give a person.
Dave: I wouldn't say I was offended, perhaps amused, but it did grow old after a while. I'm theoretically 100% Lithuanian, although I suspect there is some Polish and Ruskie blended in.

Slowly still going up, $627
$670.99 really, the guy couldn't afford the 1 cent :)

Good evening, all! Another really nice day here in H Town. It would appear it is going to end tomorrow with a 90% chance of rain and some possibly severe thunderstorms.
Should be an interesting pitcher's duel tomorrow in Game 1

I love this forum. The topic range is amazing.

Tips - We usually tip at 20%, cash to the server. Same with our dog groomer, cash. I suspect most people that get paid cash only report a percentage to the tax man.

Ethnicity - I think I have posted earlier in the forum, my parents were born in Ireland and Scotland. Being called a "mick" was common, to reply with "wop", "guinea", "dago", or whatever other name that fit the situation. They were never meant in a derogatory way. Like Chadbag, a few minutes later we would be choosing up sides for stickball, basketball, or whatever the group decided. Incidentally, I am still in contact with seven of those folks. Like I said, never meant to be mean. (Boris, I don't remember anyone being called a "luthy":).)

Size - 6' 4", 230, I have always been big for my size. lol

RR - the Bar Mills kit Shipyard Brewing Co. arrived. I have wanted to build this kit for some time now. I was going to order it a couple of years ago, but Willie pointed out it was only half a building. This year Bar Mills made a full building in N scale.

1666913336993.jpeg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back