Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaaaghhhh, can't get control of this cold. Itchy runny nose and watery eyes are the main issue.
No ambition to do anything but just sit here and surf the web and watching stupid YouTube videos.
I had planned to go up to Detroit this weekend, but now, with this, don't want to spread it to others.
Was gonna go to the train club this morning but don't want to spread this there either.

A friend of mine is an avid P7 collector and carrier.
Ask him if he used to post on "The Cult Of The P7".... aka Parkcitiestactical.com. Lots of P7 fanatics hung out there back around 20 years ago. Back in the day, I was a huge HK collector. I had every roller-locked host gun for my registered sear except for the belt feds, although, I did have an HK-11 clone... That's a magazine fed version of the HK-21, complete with quick-change barrels.

Edit... I didn't have a 51K though... Even I thought that was just a silly concept... big fireballs, but no real practical use, lol.

Last edited:
Dave, where did you get the pullies and lights on your tower, they look awesome !
Gary,

All the things you see came with the kit! It was a wooden kit, Alexander is the maker name, found this one on ebay is the same model I constructed

I would be very cautious about buying one assembled, however. Every time I moved it would take me a couple hours to put stuff back on, after my last move It went in the dumpster, sick of working on it and really no where on the layout to put it:

coaling tower.png

Ask him if he used to post on "The Cult Of The P7".... aka Parkcitiestactical.com. Lots of P7 fanatics hung out there back around 20 years ago. Back in the day, I was a huge HK collector. I had every roller-locked host gun for my registered sear except for the belt feds, although, I did have an HK-11 clone... That's a magazine fed version of the HK-21, complete with quick-change barrels.

Edit... I didn't have a 51K though... Even I thought that was just a silly concept... big fireballs, but no real practical use, lol.

I don't think he was on there. He tends to stay invisible as much as possible.

I had an SP-89k converted by Terry Dyer to an MP-5k complete with H&K marked stock (not after market) and a Fleming sear. Finally sold it about 2 years ago after 20+ years. Needed to pay some debts and prepare for this house. I liked playing with it but "family responsibilities" took over.

I have a few USP and a 91 (though the 91 is non-functioning at the moment as it needs some parts -- long story). I sure wish I had bought a few more back in the day when they were affordable.

Afternoon All,

Started out chilly at 52 F this morning (Brrrr). I did a couple of chores before heading to the train room. I got all the wiring connected to the logic board. I tripled checked everything. I did not turn the unit on because the Leak Doctor came today instead of tomorrow. They checked the entire house and determined that the shower pan had failed (Dad's shower) that is 1 year old. The good news is that it's still under warrenty and the contractor acknowledged the same. No slab leak👍. Not great news, but a heck of a lot better than it could of been.

Dave- It looks like the same company did equipment drawings for the NP and the PRR and who knows how many other RR's.

Joe- I need to cut them out also. Watching TV is the hard time.

Mixed Freight- Cool looking 1:1 truck. There's a member of the PRRT&HS that has a old pickup in Tuscan Red and signage for the Pennsy.

Christian- Good to see you back.

Mara- I'm sorry I didn't say it earlier, but welcome.

Willie- Nice scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I'm down to 3 HKs: The P7-M8 and 2 9mm P9Ss, one combat model and one target model.

I was so into HKs, that I ended up fixing an MP5 that was in the rental counter at my local range. It just needed over-sized rollers to bring the bolt gap back into spec, and I had some on hand when I saw them complaining about FTEs and FTFs. 10 minutes later, and they were back in business, and I had a few new freinds, lol!

Well done!
A window maker wheel, which is something to worry about. It looks well maintained, clean and rust free.
I doubt you will find many professional tire people who are qualified to work on that wheel.
Thanks for the compliments Bruette! Well-maintained and clean it is.
But rust-free? Hah!!! Look closer at the picture, and thank goodness for the glare of the sun! :p😆

"Widow-Maker Wheels" is a common term applied to all of the old split-rim/split ring truck wheels. But there was one type where the term originated from. The worst of the worst - and you're looking at one of 'em in my picture - the Firestone RH-5° split rim. Nowadays, you probably won't find ANY professional tire people willing to work on any of those things.

But there's a little secret I use that makes these much safer for non-commercial, recreational driving such as I do - I just DON'T inflate them to their maximum pressure as stated on the tires. For non-commercial use, there's NO WAY one needs 100~110 psi of air in those things! I only inflate them to about 2/3 of their maximum rated pressures - I put 70 psi in the fronts, and 60 psi in the rears. As far as I'm concerned, it's more than enough for non-commercial use, and I sleep much better at night knowing I don't have six big pressure bombs sitting in my driveway! :eek:

Aaaaghhhh, can't get control of this cold. Itchy runny nose and watery eyes are the main issue.
No ambition to do anything but just sit here and surf the web and watching stupid YouTube videos.
I had planned to go up to Detroit this weekend, but now, with this, don't want to spread it to others.
Was gonna go to the train club this morning but don't want to spread this there either.
I hope you feel better.
Do you have an "ask a nurse" service with your health insurance? Maybe they can tell you what might help.

Thanks for the compliments Bruette! Well-maintained and clean it is.
But rust-free? Hah!!! Look closer at the picture, and thank goodness for the glare of the sun! :p😆

"Widow-Maker Wheels" is a common term applied to all of the old split-rim/split ring truck wheels. But there was one type where the term originated from. The worst of the worst - and you're looking at one of 'em in my picture - the Firestone RH-5° split rim. Nowadays, you probably won't find ANY professional tire people willing to work on any of those things.

But there's a little secret I use that makes these much safer for non-commercial, recreational driving such as I do - I just DON'T inflate them to their maximum pressure as stated on the tires. For non-commercial use, there's NO WAY one needs 100~110 psi of air in those things! I only inflate them to about 2/3 of their maximum rated pressures - I put 70 psi in the fronts, and 60 psi in the rears. As far as I'm concerned, it's more than enough for non-commercial use, and I sleep much better at night knowing I don't have six big pressure bombs sitting in my driveway! :eek:
I don't mind working on any multi-piece wheel. That is if I can see the locking mechanism.

Always stand aside when airing up any tire. Tires are most dangerous when inflating. A 10:00x20 can explode with 23tons of force. Even a small tire can break bones or kill if it should explode.

About 40 years ago I was the service manager for a General Tire Company store, on North Point Blvd. here in Baltimore. We were the ones people went to when nobody else would work on their wheel. We also had a contract with Bethlehem Steel at Sparrows Point and some of their equipment was from the early 1940s.

One of my tire men was 63 years old, Willy Anderson. He had seen everything, and he made everything look easy. He needed more frequent breaks than younger men, but he was worth his weight in gold to me. I was often his helper.

My off the highway man was 50 years old, Pernell Flood. Fastest and most efficient man I ever worked with. I learned so much from those two men. Having those two on my crew made me look good!

Smart move, tire pressure need only match the load.

Thanks for sharing your truck, I enjoyed seeing it!

Last edited:
I used to do those old split rims. Worked at a truck stop in the early 80's. Had a huge cage for the semi tires. One kid didn't want to use it and the ring ended up through the wall of the tire shed. Boss fired him on the spot. Even with the cage, they'd blow the dust out of the shed. Ears would ring for an hour. Although breaking the bead on the one piece rims wasn't always fun either. I weighed all of 140# and really had a hard time with them.

well, howdy there internet people.

Reading a piece in the Atlantic about how breaking up a night's sleep into "medieval segments" is coming back (it has been coming back for several years, this isn't the first piece I've read on it.

This line caught my eye:

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 4.35.27 PM.png

The wife is going to love it when I use that line on her. "Just chasing away the devil, dear. He doesn't like farts..."

Here's the piece:

I don't mind working on any multi-piece wheel. That is if I can see the locking mechanism.

Always stand aside when airing up any tire. Tires are most dangerous when inflating. A 10:00x20 can explode with 23tons of force. Even a small tire can break bones or kill if it should explode.

About 40 years ago I was the service manager for a General Tire Company store, on North Point Blvd. here in Baltimore. We were the ones people went to when nobody else would work on their wheel. We also had a contract with Bethlehem Steel at Sparrows Point and some of their equipment was from the early 1940s.

One of my tire men was 63 years old, Willy Anderson. He had seen everything, and he made everything look easy. He needed more frequent breaks than younger men, but he was worth his weight in gold to me. I was often his helper.

My off the highway man was 50 years old, Pernell Flood. Fastest and most efficient man I ever worked with. I learned so much from those two men. Having those two on my crew made me look good!

Smart move, tire pressure need only match the load.

Thanks for sharing your truck, I enjoyed seeing it!
Interesting. A few years ago we had to replace the tires on a 1930 Hahn fire truck and nobody in our area would do it because of the split rims. Had to take it to I think was a Goodyear dealer in PA. close to I95 north of Delaware.

What a day, started work at 06.15, finished at 19.45 spent over 2 hours by the side of the road waiting for a recovery vehicle, at least I'll get paid for the day. :( I'm tired, fed up, cold and hungry and NOT getting this Machine shop built, Oh! and to really make my day, seems I have a serious oil leak on my car.

And now chaos, she lasted 6 weeks and 2 days, now we are on the third one in one year.:mad:

I'm going to bed now.

G'nite folks.

Gary,

All the things you see came with the kit! It was a wooden kit, Alexander is the maker name, found this one on ebay is the same model I constructed

I would be very cautious about buying one assembled, however. Every time I moved it would take me a couple hours to put stuff back on, after my last move It went in the dumpster, sick of working on it and really no where on the layout to put it:

View attachment 153977
Thank you for the heads up Dave !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back