Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 39° and still dropping. It probably will just barely stay above freezing, so the garden is safe. But because the air is perfectly still, a frost can still occur at this temperature. Fingers crossed and I do have the sprinkler on because that keeps a dew/frost off the plants - the water is 64° right now. Wind and temperature should be increasing around noon today and we'll be in the 80's by tomorrow. I almost started a fire in the wood burner last night, but instead we went with the electric space heaters since it's just one night. That and my wife didn't want to clear her accumulated stuff off the top of the heater. I cleaned last years last ashes out last week and brought in dry firewood on Saturday morning before the overnight rain. So I was ready. It will be another week before it gets below 50° again.

Dental visit went OK yesterday, I'm good to go until the next visit. Did laundry when I got home, it was my day. If I decide to work in the yard this morning I will have to break down and get the jeans out of the back of the drawer. It's not often that they are needed until mid-November.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments on the ongoing projects.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I redid the Whitaker Brothers Printing Co. structure. I glued in some wall supports, put the floors and pseudo machinery back in and glued some figures inside each floor. I used some of the pre-painted Chinese figures that one of my kids gave me for Christmas one year, they are all very similar in color and pose (2 poses).
IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

As I posted yesterday, the machinary is just some old circuit boards that I think were originally in our dishwasher. But the illusion is good as the following show.
IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG

At some point in the future I will experiment with adding lights to this structure.
I also added a driver to a UPS delivery truck, thus taking another item off the small project "to do" list.
IMG_2230.JPG
IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

Dave B - About the only advantage to the low-flow toilet is when the sewer line gets clogged, a single flush doesn't have enough water volume in it to cause an overflow in the bathroom.:confused:
Guy - At least you get phone calls! Mine are mostly identified as "Spam Risk" and I don't answer. Of course it's my own fault for going 66 years without a cell phone, so no one calls me at all!
Been there, done that with the railcars becoming floor models. It looks like fixing the one pictured yesterday is doable. Makes me cranky as well.
James - That Glacier Industrial Sands kit has a bunch of extra parts, that are for another industry that shares some of the sprues. A chance to use your imagination.
Best wishes for your sister's surgery.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 39° and still dropping. It probably will just barely stay above freezing, so the garden is safe. But because the air is perfectly still, a frost can still occur at this temperature. Fingers crossed and I do have the sprinkler on because that keeps a dew/frost off the plants - the water is 64° right now. Wind and temperature should be increasing around noon today and we'll be in the 80's by tomorrow. I almost started a fire in the wood burner last night, but instead we went with the electric space heaters since it's just one night. That and my wife didn't want to clear her accumulated stuff off the top of the heater. I cleaned last years last ashes out last week and brought in dry firewood on Saturday morning before the overnight rain. So I was ready. It will be another week before it gets below 50° again.

Dental visit went OK yesterday, I'm good to go until the next visit. Did laundry when I got home, it was my day. If I decide to work in the yard this morning I will have to break down and get the jeans out of the back of the drawer. It's not often that they are needed until mid-November.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I redid the Whitaker Printing Co. structure. I glued in some wall supports, put the floors and pseudo machinery back in and glued some figures inside each floor. I used some of the pre-painted Chinese figures that one of my kids gave me for Christmas one year, they are all very similar in color and pose (2 poses).
View attachment 153877
View attachment 153878
As I posted yesterday, the machinary is just some old circuit boards that I think were originally in our dishwasher. But the illusion is good as the following show.
View attachment 153879View attachment 153880
At some point in the future I will experiment with adding lights to this structure.
I also added a driver to a UPS delivery truck, thus taking another item off the small project "to do" list.
View attachment 153884View attachment 153885
View attachment 153886

Dave B - About the only advantage to the low-flow toilet is when the sewer line gets clogged, a single flush doesn't have enough water volume in it to cause an overflow in the bathroom.:confused:
Guy - At least you get phone calls! Mine are mostly identified as "Spam Risk" and I don't answer. Of course it's my own fault for going 66 years without a cell phone, so no one calls me at all!
Been there, done that with the railcars becoming floor models. It looks like fixing the one pictured yesterday is doable. Makes me cranky as well.
James - That Glacier Industrial Sands kit has a bunch of extra parts, that are for another industry that shares some of the sprues. A chance to use your imagination.

There's an idea for recycling stuff, I would never have thought of using circuit boards.

I became a collector by accident. When I returned to this hobby I was disabled, and I did build three basic layouts. My focus was my O gauge layout. I also had an HO scale layout, even a small N scale layout.

I returned to work, thank you God. Then in 2017 we moved. Only trains running in this house have been under the Christmas tree.

Some day I will return to being an operator, God willing.

How much money have I spent: I stopped counting at $30000. At least I have slowed my purchases. I really want the Lionel Acela. I told myself, "No more big money trains until I at least begin my layout!"

I became a collector by accident. When I returned to this hobby I was disabled, and I did build three basic layouts. My focus was my O gauge layout. I also had an HO scale layout, even a small N scale layout.

I returned to work, thank you God. Then in 2017 we moved. Only trains running in this house have been under the Christmas tree.

Some day I will return to being an operator, God willing.

How much money have I spent: I stopped counting at $30000. At least I have slowed my purchases. I really want the Lionel Acela. I told myself, "No more big money trains until I at least begin my layout!"
I got back into it when I was furloughed during the pandemic, it was that or watching the box in the corner, I think I chose wisely

Mike:

No the water pump is not where the problem is. It gets flushed out twice a year because there is a build up of slime. The water accumulates under the aprilaire.

I actually disconnected the holder part, took it outside and flushed it to get the calcium and crud off of it. Reinstalled it making sure it was square then connected the new drain tube and tightened it. I did not see a crack. Replaced the filter, and put everything back together and turned it on. No leaks....then another episode. I am assuming, if there was a crack, it would almost continually leak each use. But no, only on occasion. I'm totally stumped. There is really not that much to the unit, it's rather a simple application.
I did add one line to that post

One other place on the valve where the small water line comes out of it make sure it's tight

Don't know if you are on city or well but if well then that spot is high pressure and may only leak when at higher pressure
There's an orifice in there that regulates how much water flows into the water pad

Theres only just so few parts to check see what your furnace guy says

Good morning! Well it was a bit frosty this morning! 29 degrees! My truck was covered in frost and ice in some areas. The front lawn was white with frost. Yup old man winter is waking up and is coming without a doubt. This weekend will be the big push to finish my duties in preparation of winter. The boat, firewood and cleaning the garage.

Interesting topics this morning and last nite. Collectors vs. the specifics to era or other. Ya we all have been there I think a few times as well as myself. I remember getting started in the hobby years ago with out actually having a specific plan or agenda. I bought everything in sight lol.
I have done many big purges and sell offs over the years. Each time redefined what I wanted and how I would change or re-approach the next restart. Most of my purchases have a specific purpose. As of late though with the LHS going out of business that kinda put a few more items in the basket but I regard that as stocking up on materials. What I don't use or don't need can be sold later. I have concentrated hard on my industries that will be on my layout and what will be serviced for inbound and outbound commodities etc. Most of my industries are small in nature. Which will give me plenty of switching locations although compressed at the moment with my layout. Until I build my garage expansion that is what it will be compressed.
  • Timken supplies & distribution warehouse
  • Doc's AC/DC motors traction motors
  • Big Stones & Aggregates
  • JR's UPPR Diesel repair shop
  • Wally's Lumber yard
  • American Metals distributor
  • CAT Dealership by Wyatt
  • Willow's feed supply
  • JR's Fuels
With interchange with northern region from GBW Green Bay & Western, WC Wisconsin Central and MT&W Marinette Tomahawk & Western and interchange with south eastern region ASAB Atlanta & St. Andrews Bay "The Bay Line". This will keep me busy servicing and running freight.

I have a lot of locos on my roster with out a doubt but I am good with it for now. Rolling stock is also high as well not sure what the car count is at the moment but close to 300 plus if not more. I may only get about 75 cars on the layout at one time and maybe a dozen or so locos. There may be a purge coming early next year we will see. I am looking at doing a temporary staging yard into another room next to the layout room. I may poke a hole through the wall for this and have like maybe a dozen lines for staging with one return loop? We shall see. I have the room to do it.

Anyways enough of that.

Ya'll have a good afternoon. I am in the office today and have to catch up on a few things.

Good morning from a chilled but warming So. Central Wisconsin. 24f/ -4.44c degrees now heading to 45/7.2 this afternoon. The wind today is only running at 7 mph making the wind chill feel like 16f/-8.8c. Like Troy mentioned about Fort Wayne, Indiana my portion of Cheeseland will hit 70’s Friday and Saturday.

Today’s agenda is, vacuum, Train room and treadmill.

Almost missed an appointment yesterday. Thanks be to the calendar alarm, I made it. Met with my diabetic nutritionist who was kind of upset I am still taking Gliperzide. She is the one in January who told me and my Endocrinologist to cut me back from 10mg a day to 5. Because my A1C numbers have dropped she said she would let the Endocrinologist know that she told me to stop taking it. I told her to please notify me of the Endocrinologist response when she’s back from vacation. The diabetic nutritionist said she’s been working from home and responds a few times a day. I kept my mouth shut (rare) and didn’t tell her that her boss is in Hawaii with my wife and 2 others.

The goal now is to accelerate the miserably slow weight loss. I have reached that plateau area. By eliminating the Gliperzide that alone should help me drop 10#’s in the next 12 weeks. Now I switch from religiously counting every carb and count calories religiously without losing sight of the carb count. Without exercise she wants the calorie consumption at 1800. 200-300 for breakfast, same for lunch, 300 for total snacks and 900 for dinner. A high day without deducting exercise calories would be 2200. 190# is the goal which is another 18 to go that I have been struck at since June. She will let my PT/trainer know the new goals and they will work out a different exercise program for me. More strength training along with the continued swimming. I feel new
soreness coming!

I now have to eliminate the newly added protein, 3 pork sausages I started with breakfast twice last week. 450 calories with my yogurt and canola. I added them for additional taste and no real countable carbs. Last week calories were not the major concern.

Enjoy the day
Tom: Weight loss seems to *always* have those plateau's in the mix. I finally got down to 210 ( 290ish when I started ) and want to go to at least 200, possibly under. I have been on this plateau for about 4 months. I am type II and don't count calories; in fact I never have. Keeping white food out of the diet was probably the most important for me as my day to day glucose levels slowly went down. A1C is now hovering just below 7 and I expect that it will go down more when my activity level goes up; BP is pretty steady 116/80 so I don't worry about that anymore either. Still taking 4 pills a day and whine to the doc about it. She says we may cut the dose of those depending on the next A1C. Guess that I will have to keep taking Metropol due to my 3 pass in '18.

Doc is happy all-in-all with my slow weight loss and calls it a life style change. I grin at her when she tells me that as I still eat chocolate, drink a few beers and sometimes you just have to have hash browns and french bread. Don't tell her about the pasta once in awhile. My portions of just about everything have been cut in half and now I rarely go back for 2nd's; unless we are in one of those Chinese all ya can eat places!

Keep up the good work and stay the course and you will be 18 again!

Later

Out in the train shed yesterday, I redid the Whitaker Brothers Printing Co. structure. I glued in some wall supports, put the floors and pseudo machinery back in and glued some figures inside each floor. I used some of the pre-painted Chinese figures that one of my kids gave me for Christmas one year, they are all very similar in color and pose (2 poses).
View attachment 153877
View attachment 153878
View attachment 153879View attachment 153880
View attachment 153884View attachment 153885
View attachment 153886

Willie - I don't get any phone calls but maybe 1 spam risk every day about 5 pm I learned not to answer.

My wife might call if she needs something, turns out when she calls at work to just "talk" it usually turns out I feel like we are argueing so we don't talk, only text, when I am at work.

By the way, that circuit board idea for building fixtures is brilliant!

Good morning, a chilly 18° and clear. Again, did not have to scrape the burby but all the trucks at work have frosty windows. Gonna have to google it and see how that works, frost forms sometime after I leave home?

Troy - coffee and cat (preferably on the lap), that is the cat on the lap. Or is it the cat in the hat? oh my!

Electric costs - we get buy for less than $100 per month, last month $67 and we have an elec. hot water heater. Our home is only 1250 sq ft and brand new with R-50 in the ceiling and high efficiency furnace. Heat - we do propane, but also have the wood fireplace going most weekends and some evenings. Last year spent $850 on propane for the heating season. We get by pretty inexpensively.

Hobby cost - since the layout is pretty far along do not spend much on the hobby right now, maybe $65 per month. I found that labor intensive projects really keep that number down. In light of that, I still have several kits to build and half done stuff to finish, never at a loss for something to do.

Patrick - something appealing to me about working on the road as well. I was on the road for 10 years prior to marriage and off and on early into it. Recently had a job solicitation to work for a major Auction house appraising construction equipment, sounds very interesting but I know my wife does not want me on the road right now so will pass.

Todd - my project will only cost $1380; (I do all the dirt work, leveling, and form setting) however we are on a pay as you go philosophy and with other expenses going up we are very careful with our spending right now.

back later, Dave LASM
Dave: Welp, have pretty much decided that I am gonna pay the freight on the garage pad. I will watch and help if needed. We have three more smaller pads that need done ( ground well hut, chicken house and goat house ) that I should be able to do. Just have never done ground work for a pad. Don't have a problem with framing, electrical, plumbing and other stuff although I don't trust myself to walk the top plate anymore. Will have to con a friend to do that for roof trusses and such. I pay beer and pizza if anybody wants to come an help!

Electric: - we seem to keep around $150 month winter or summer. Got a timer for the HW heater and will install that in a day or so; wrap too. Got 15 ton of pellets yesterday of which some will fold over into next winter. Heating 2600ft^2 for the house, 1200ft^2 for the train cave.

Hobby cost
: I really have no idea of what I have spent over the years. Been playing with an inventory program as I really need to get some sort of list to the insurance company JIC. Guess that 15K to 20K ( my costs ) is sitting in boxes in the train cave. I have a ton of crap and know that there will be some purging sooner or later as my era is somewhere in '65 to '75 so anything newer than a SD/GP40 can go away. Same for some of the cars - Thrall's and those 30K gallon tank cars were not around then. An then for some reason I bought a couple of box cars that are almost as long as a BigBoy without tender. Geesh.

Later

Regarding weight loss... I completely cut out alcohol back in Feb 2019. I lost about 10 pounds without really trying... just reduced caloric intake by cutting out alcohol.

But I was eating high carb foods, as my body craved carbs due to cutting out alcohol. Eventually, the carb cravings have subsided, and I have steadily lost about a pund every couple of weeks simply by watching carbs. Watching carbs is pretty easy for me because my wife is diabetic, and is controlling it with diet and Metformin. Back in Feb 2019, I weighed about 309. Today, I'm right around 255, and feel as though I have hit that plateau. As a point of reference, I was 220 when I graduated from college in 1986, My goal is to get below 240 fully clothed with all my edc in my pockets.

I'll need to pick up an exercise routine once the yard work is done for the season or surely I'll put on weight over the winter.

So over the past 3-4 years, I have lost a little over 50 pounds. The other day, I threw a 40-pounds bag of corn over my shoulder, and walked about 30-40 yards out into our back yard to put it down for the deer. It occurred to me that, while carrying that bag of corn, I still weighed less than I weighed back in 2019... and I had been , in essence, carrying around the equivalent of 4 or 5 10-pound bowling balls all that time...

Kind of puts things into perspective.

Regarding weight loss... I completely cut out alcohol back in Feb 2019. I lost about 10 pounds without really trying... just reduced caloric intake by cutting out alcohol.

But I was eating high carb foods, as my body craved carbs due to cutting out alcohol. Eventually, the carb cravings have subsided, and I have steadily lost about a pund every couple of weeks simply by watching carbs. Watching carbs is pretty easy for me because my wife is diabetic, and is controlling it with diet and Metformin. Back in Feb 2019, I weighed about 309. Today, I'm right around 255, and feel as though I have hit that plateau. As a point of reference, I was 220 when I graduated from college in 1986, My goal is to get below 240 fully clothed with all my edc in my pockets.

I'll need to pick up an exercise routine once the yard work is done for the season or surely I'll put on weight over the winter.

So over the past 3-4 years, I have lost a little over 50 pounds. The other day, I threw a 40-pounds bag of corn over my shoulder, and walked about 30-40 yards out into our back yard to put it down for the deer. It occurred to me that, while carrying that bag of corn, I still weighed less than I weighed back in 2019... and I had been , in essence, carrying around the equivalent of 4 or 5 10-pound bowling balls all that time...

Kind of puts things into perspective.
Jeff: Good job! Hang in there as you will get to where you want. I got out of the Marine Corps in '73 at 215Lbs with no fat on me. I am 5'10" and stocky. I suspect that I will never get back to the no fat part though. I stayed under 220Lbs until I hit 40, then all hell broke loose. About 2018, I decided that I was tired of my knees and back being sore all of the time and realized that the excess pounds were wreaking havoc on my body. My 3 pass also probably had something to do with it. It has taken from then to get to where I am now. Did not know I was Type II until the 1st DoT exam in 2014. Doc had a blast getting me to take *any* meds as I just am not a pill popper. Been pretty religious since but still don't like taking them.

Later

Good morning, all! Finally, we have some great weather. Temps in the 60's and low humidity. Really makes you want to be outdoors.

Guy - love it, "repair what you broke day". I have a little drawer where I put the little bits and pieces that break or fall off. I never seem to get around to fixing them.
Boris - Are the events on colder nights. Metal parts might contract more when colder, opening a hair line crack.
Willie - great idea. It does give the impression of a floor full of equipment.

RR hobby - I sort of do like Smudge, I buy locos I like, road name is not restricting. While my core fleet are Boston and Maine, I have a few other roads. I explain them as loaners, or demos my railroad is trying out. My inspiration has always been George Sellios', HO, Franklin and South Manchester RR. I started building laser cut structures during the pandemic and realized they gave me a look similar to F&SM. Now I want to replace the whole town of Apple Ridge which is plastic with laser cut structures.
Yes, I suppose it is expensive, but so is a round of golf, gas for the boat and a bucket of bait. Just about any hobby or pastime has it's cost and the more involved one gets, the more it costs.

STAY SAFE
LATER

I am not really familiar with these sorts of things but it sounds like condensation to me. You get a high humidity day with appropriately high dew point. You are in a humid part of the world.
No, the only time condensation becomes an issue is when outside temperature approaches 0° and the humidifier is adding moisture at average above 20° setting, because I forgot to make the appropriate adjustment to the Aprilaire. Also that condensation appears on second floor outside walls.

Ya'll killing me with the talk on health and weight and such.....OMG

I'm 53..... 5'-10" and 250 lbs. no slouch and can hold my own. I guess I need to drop a few pounds my doc keeps telling me just lose 10 to 20 lbs because all my blood work has been good as I do stay active. When I last worked out seriously was when I was 44. I was in the gym (a gym rat) quite regularly at that time I also did mountain bike riding as well with cross fit routine. I was at 204 quite solid too. I guess I need to go back one more time lol.... cardio first of course. hmmmm....

5’10” and until I hit 47 and a 90% desk job I weighed 190#. Leaving the road for a desk 90% of the time was tough and over 3 years the weight hit 269. Did a full 1 year medically supervised weight loss program, found out I was a diabetic and since I have been a yo-yo.

I swim 50 laps of 100meters every other day. If it takes 1 hour the trainer is happy if it takes longer it’s ok. Walk daily 2 miles at least on the treadmill or the trails on the property. Do daily resistant band exercises 15 minute each time twice a day with the wife.

Since July this is the best I have felt in at least 10 years, I am 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back