Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm already tired of ducking under my new lower deck renovation. About 15 years ago at the Big E I seen an access gate in action at one of the layouts. The guy was in and out of his layout and the gate worked flawlessly so that's the type I'm looking to build. The sooner the better. I left a cutout in the bench work for this purpose. Now to build the gate. You can see my old single track lift out in the photo. The lower deck is a 2 track main now and the old lift out will no longer work. The gate type I'm talking about is shown in the 2nd photo. It's not from the Bjg E show.
George

gate_01.jpg

Liftout_gate.JPG

Morning all,

Louis: Continued prayers for your mom and your family.

Not much yet going on this morning. Time for a large cup of coffee and a large pecan roll, with the extra icing PATY.

George: My first layout design 10 years ago had a similar lift section. When I rebuilt it again at our current place, I reconfigured with removable bridge sections. At 6'3" and bad knees, I can't duck under anymore, but I will say, I am rethinking the lift bridge idea.

Weather is currently partly cloudy and 51° with red flag warnings up for this afternoon and tomorrow. High of 71° later.

TrucTrain: Glad to see you back. Glad you're happy with the new job. For the most part, if you can keep the stress down, overall you're going to like the job better. I can leave the City's employ and make more money, but I'm finding there's benefit to less stress. Yes I have stressful periods, but that's part of IT work.

BBL

Good Morning All. Clear and a cool 55°, headed up to only 81° later. That's a change in the forecast from yesterday, with regular weather returning tomorrow. Didn't quite hit 90° yesterday, just 89°. Pleasant though with a light wind from the west.
Feeling a tiny bit sore today, as I split about a weeks worth of firewood yesterday. One Advil should take care of it. Picked a few tomatoes and Jalapenos later on, lots of green tomatoes out there. I did remove some remnants of squash plants and a few weeds to keep things looking a bit more orderly. Wife and I sorta took inventory of part of the freezer later on; it's full and as usual we don't really have any idea what hidden treasures lurk in there. We did find a Ziploc of frozen chopped onions dated 2009 that we missed last time we did this. While they looked good, I have 30 pounds of fresh ones from this past spring still.
Weekly grocery trek again today. On the trip to town, I'll get a scheduled chest X-ray and who knows what else. We haven't discussed it yet. It's probably time again for the Vitamin Shoppe, did the Wine Store last week so that's out.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on the post yesterday, always appreciated.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did some minor stuff. I painted a figure that I am going to use in an upcoming scene.
Here he is before I cut the base off.
IMG_2143.JPG

Painted him a bit but didn't take a picture yet.
Then added figures and a vehicle to another building.
IMG_2172.JPG

Then I continued my quarterly layout cleaning project by visually inspecting some track. Oooops! I found a stray part.
IMG_2173.JPG

It's a platform to a double-stack car. Now to find it.
I looked some more for the missing raccoons without any luck.

Patrick - We still have the A/C on for a couple of hours most days still. I use window units, but I'll take out the one in the bedroom next week. We tend to still use them, usually just the kitchen/dining one all of the way through October. A floor fan suffices to direct cool air to the rest of the house.
Changing that wake up time still hasn't happened for me, even after seven years of being retired. I don't use an alarm, it just happens no matter how late I stay up.
Smudge -
I can't find the thread it was on, but someone was asking about a Hornby P2 locomotive that they had been given but was having problems with the wheels running on the rail ties due to the deeper wheel flange, anyone remember who that was ??
The thread was Track Problem
Tom O - Your post regarding the "girls" sending stuff to paradise reminds me of my late friend. His Dad owned a place in Alaska and my friend would go there for vacation every summer. He fished for Halibut and Salmon. When he was ready to come home, he sent his clothes by FedEx so he could carry two coolers of iced down fish on the plane with him. His Mom who spent all summer up there, would send boxes of Salmon that she canned to our house and picked it up when she returned. The game regulations up there only allowed "x" amount in your possession at one time and that's how she got around that. She sent it to us instead of her other six kids because they would eat it all before she returned! She was always generous to us when she picked it all up.
I suspect that my glucose number was also from fasting, however it is always close to being under 100 when I test at home. The A1C is more important to me.
James - Thanks again. You are correct about the yellow car being a Camaro, as verified by the taillight picture that Terry posted.
Troy - No NOLA suggestions from me. The French Quarter is really the only thing that I know that survived Katrina. I like looking at bridges and boats which you'll see anyway.

Today is the Navy's birthday. It is also National No Bra Day which I celebrate every day.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, 35°, cloudy, a little light rain

Louis - praying for you

Lee - that must be the new way they do things. When I was having a hard time doing all the physical jobs in the materials lab they pulled the same stunt on me. Hired all girls and all the heavy lifting to me, the oldest guy in the company at that time (62).

Then they went to that thing Willie alluded to where they ignore me and don't bid on any jobs for me. Screw them, those a-holes. I did get a much better job, better pay, office work, they actually talk to me here. God is up there we just don't always get it.

Willie - that wood splitting is probably what is keeping your health as good as it is

George: you are making quick work of your project, I found that the lift out was not that big of a mystery as I had read about, mine is kind of clumsy but still trains go over smooth and no loss of power and goes in and out easy

Chet - love the pics, those top ones must go back a ways, great to see those early stages as well as the detail in your later work

Guy - you really do neat work!

back later, Dave LASM

My Mom had another heart attack. She is now in hospice care at the hospital.
Her request is to come to our house for in-home hospice care. We don't know how we will do it but do it we will.
My Mom will have her last request granted.

Louis-

You are a good son for taking care of your mom like that and granting her wishes. Some people do not bother. Prayers to your mom and your family.

Good morning!

Things got really busy, very quickly.
My son has already started the move into the new house, for which I'm helping, however I can. Did two dump runs with my pick-up yesterday, and will do more runs today. Plus, I now have two customers that need work done from me, so they can continue renovations on their homes. Both are paying train hobby cash. So, I may as well do it.
In any event, I'm going to take a brief break from the hobby and the coffee shop, until I can get this un-train business done.

When I get back to it, I want to complete those layout sidewalks and roads. They give me focus as to where the buildings will be placed; and I require focus when I'm modelling.

Louis - So sorry to read about your mother. I feel bad for you. Hope you can find the strength, and I hope she can recover.

I have a habit of going out and photographing that type of stuff that I'm modelling. This photo, for example, is a boring photo of a highway near here. It was taken mostly so I could have an example of highway colors and weathering:
AutumnHywy_10-01-2022.JPG

It helps me to see stuff as it is. Then I have less chance of over doing it. So many people have a tendency to over-weather to a very heavy extent.
The highway in the photo is at least 20+ years old.

Well folks, I need to get busy. I'll see ya'll when I can.
Have a good one!

George: you are making quick work of your project, I found that the lift out was not that big of a mystery as I had read about, mine is kind of clumsy but still trains go over smooth and no loss of power and goes in and out easy
Well Dave I'm done with golf for the year and most of the outside projects are finished so it's 100% model railroading until around April. You get a lot done in a 12 hour day. There seems to be a hold up in my order from Logic Rail so the crossing gate project is on hold for another week. I calculate I'll need 24 3ft track sections to finish the project. That's $160.00. I'm budgeting around a $1,000.00 for the whole lower deck project and the money is going quickly.
George

Good morning. 63° and cloudy with rain and 71° predicted.

Thank you for all the Likes and comments, I have been negligent in acknowledging.

Going out before the rain drops, looking for arch support sneakers, then we plan on going up to Trader Joe's for groceries.

Last night I returned to the bed in the extra bedroom, and used pillows to raise my legs to deal with swelling. Slept well, in spite of the soreness. I decided to be more proactive in dealing with this.

Spent some time in the train room yesterday, not much to show for it yet.

Have a great day.

So I'm already tired of ducking under my new lower deck renovation. About 15 years ago at the Big E I seen an access gate in action at one of the layouts. The guy was in and out of his layout and the gate worked flawlessly so that's the type I'm looking to build. The sooner the better. I left a cutout in the bench work for this purpose. Now to build the gate. You can see my old single track lift out in the photo. The lower deck is a 2 track main now and the old lift out will no longer work. The gate type I'm talking about is shown in the 2nd photo. It's not from the Bjg E show.
George

View attachment 153514
View attachment 153515

Speaking of the Big E show..... this coming January is gonna be a big turn out. As last year the 'snowmagedon' hitting it hard even though I went and scored big. I cannot wait to go again this coming January....

Good morning Crew. Overnight low of 28f degrees, it’s 45 now with a wind chill number of 38, high today is supposed to be 48. I did check the temperature on Maui, it is warmer there. The girls arrived safely yesterday.

Louis, do your best to make mom happy

Jaz, great picture

Guy, thats what the photographs do for me. Gives me ideas on colors and details. Have fun on the hobby paying jobs

TrucTrain, glad it is going well for you. Sorry to say there is no loyalty either way it seems. My story below

James and George, I have threatened myself a few times to head to that show. It has always been the uncertainty of January weather that has kept me away. It is so different then Trainfest in Milwaukee in November that concentrates on layouts and the Manufacturers

Willie, had my fasting labs done this morning and I should have results starting late this afternoon and fully on Monday. 9 vials of stuff out of my arm. Your numbers are great. My wake up A1C is hovering at 122-132, bedtime at 102-110 the last 6 weeks

My job ending story. 21 years working for my brother under sometimes brutal personal conditions as I was held to a different standard even though I never knew the standard. He wanted me to avoid telling Clients I was related to him, the owner. Tough to do entertaining clients at Packer games or Bear games in Chicago with my tickets when the clients knew we had the same last names and damn, we looked very much alike. Also strange for games in GB we would join his tail gate pregame parties and not go to the suite for the game. But then show up for 1/2time food treats. Didn’t want anyone to know Terry and I had season tickets of our own for Packers, Bears or Blackhawk games. He even didn’t want any co-workers coming out to our house especially in Summer because we lived on a lake. He lost that one! He lived down the street and lake and everyone knew where he lived. But, when I was sick he and the company were great.

When he decided not to turn over day to day operations to me is when things really changed. The management team he brought in wanted me out. Heck, they wanted him gone. This was 7 years before retirement and his new head guy kept saying you should retire. Terry and I when I turned 60 decided my retirement would be at 62, she retired the year she turned 56. I told no one but 3 of my staff department heads so they would have time to find new jobs. We knew massive changes would happen in all my departments when I retired. The 3 found jobs but I still had 14 months to go. Similar to Willie but in a nicer office I then was stuffed, because 3 of 6 of my department heads left I wasn’t needed. They hired my staff replacements and gave me a new title but with no responsibilities. There was no input from me because they wanted things done the new not old money making ways. When my time was up, I left a job that for 17 of 21 years even with my brothers issues was the most enjoyable, exciting job I ever had. My retirement party, not 1 of the 7 new management members came, no texts goodbye or thank yours. But over 300 other current and former staff and employees came. 2 years after retirement the company found itself in the Me Too dilemma. The head guy along with 2 of his male cronies and 1 female crony were taking advantage of employees. My brother, in Arizona or Hawaii and semi retired begged me to help him out. He wanted he said someone he could trust as he didn’t want to come back to Wisconsin. For six months I commuted and held Skype meetings getting things back In shape. My 3 department heads came back and along with my former Personal Assistant who came back for me and are now running the company. They are in a 10 year deal buying the company.

I think a lot of us have job ending stories or in Terry’s case horror stories about his previous employer when they sold out or made changes due to death or retirements.

Last edited:
Well....I did it again. I went back to the LHS to get more supplies at 50% off cash only buys.

Yup but this time I took another page out of Willie's book and bought more items that add details & life to the layout. So thank you Willie for the inspiration.

I will post pictures later tonight when I get home.

I did buy 3 boxcars also.

Here's the tally sheet..

20221013_125600.jpg

I don't even know what "retirement" is. Foreign concept. Though I sure look forward to it.

I'll post a house update this weekend for the work since last Friday. Lots happening. Lots on my mind and I woke up this morning to pee at 2:!5am and couldn't get my mind to calm down from thinking of all the issues I am trying to choreograph and didn't fall back to sleep until I had to get up at 4:40am to take my daughter to HS swim practice. Luckily after I dropped her off and got home and stuff I was able to sleep another 2 hours with only one interruption until I had to get up for early work meetings. It did take 15-20 minutes to fall asleep after I got back but I was able to sleep.

Gas went down from $4.09 to $4.08 to $4.04 last week and then jumped up to $4.19 beginning of this week.

Luckily weather has been great here. Mid 40s to low 50s in the middle of the night, getting up to 70-73 during the day. Sunny with a few clouds.

More later.

Happy Birthday to the U.S.N. and to all that served in all branches thank you for your service.

In regards to the U.S.N......I drive past Whitehall NY all the time when I go fishing to Lake Champlain (I typically go to Port Henry past Crown Point which is where the Britts surrendered ;)) ..........Whitehall NY is known for a couple of things:

1. Birth place of the USN which is an interesting topic... https://www.history.navy.mil/browse...y/OriginsNavy/birthplace-of-the-u-s-navy.html
  2. The old D&H rail yard which is now CP.
  3. The last lock on the Champlain canal before entering the South Bay and Southern Lake Champlain.

Anyways I thought to share and recognize our Navy men and women! Thank you for your service!

Last edited:
Good morning Crew. Overnight low of 28f degrees, it’s 45 now with a wind chill number of 38, high today is supposed to be 48. I did check the temperature on Maui, it is warmer there. The girls arrived safely yesterday.

Louis, do your best to make mom happy

Jaz, great picture

Guy, thats what the photographs do for me. Gives me ideas on colors and details. Have fun on the hobby paying jobs

TrucTrain, glad it is going well for you. Sorry to say there is no loyalty either way it seems. My story below

James and George, I have threatened myself a few times to head to that show. It has always been the uncertainty of January weather that has kept me away. It is so different then Trainfest in Milwaukee in November that concentrates on layouts and the Manufacturers

Willie, had my fasting labs done this morning and I should have results starting late this afternoon and fully on Monday. 9 vials of stuff out of my arm. Your numbers are great. My wake up A1C is hovering at 122-132, bedtime at 102-110 the last 6 weeks

My job ending story. 21 years working for my brother under sometimes brutal personal conditions as I was held to a different standard even though I never knew the standard. He wanted me to avoid telling Clients I was related to him, the owner. Tough to do entertaining clients at Packer games or Bear games in Chicago with my tickets when the clients knew we had the same last names and damn, we looked very much alike. Also strange for games in GB we would join his tail gate pregame parties and not go to the suite for the game. But then show up for 1/2time food treats. Didn’t want anyone to know Terry and I had season tickets of our own for Packers, Bears or Blackhawk games. He even didn’t want any co-workers coming out to our house especially in Summer because we lived on a lake. He lost that one! He lived down the street and lake and everyone knew where he lived. But, when I was sick he and the company were great.

When he decided not to turn over day to day operations to me is when things really changed. The management team he brought in wanted me out. Heck, they wanted him gone. This was 7 years before retirement and his new head guy kept saying you should retire. Terry and I when I turned 60 decided my retirement would be at 62, she retired the year she turned 56. I told no one but 3 of my staff department heads so they would have time to find new jobs. We knew massive changes would happen in all my departments when I retired. The 3 found jobs but I still had 14 months to go. Similar to Willie but in a nicer office I then was stuffed, because 3 of 6 of my department heads left I wasn’t needed. They hired my staff replacements and gave me a new title but with no responsibilities. There was no input from me because they wanted things done the new not old money making ways. When my time was up, I left a job that for 17 of 21 years even with my brothers issues was the most enjoyable, exciting job I ever had. My retirement party, not 1 of the 7 new management members came, no texts goodbye or thank yours. But over 300 other current and former staff and employees came. 2 years after retirement the company found itself in the Me Too dilemma. The head guy along with 2 of his male cronies and 1 female crony were taking advantage of employees. My brother, in Arizona or Hawaii and semi retired begged me to help him out. He wanted he said someone he could trust as he didn’t want to come back to Wisconsin. For six months I commuted and held Skype meetings getting things back In shape. My 3 department heads came back and along with my former Personal Assistant who came back for me and are now running the company. They are in a 10 year deal buying the company.

I think a lot of us have job ending stories or in Terry’s case horror stories about his previous employer when they sold out or made changes due to death or retirements.
What a story, Tom, I like the part where you said, "the most enjoyable, exciting job I (you) ever had" that says a lot!

The job that fits that bill in my resume is Engineering Tech at Halliburton. That is the summer of 2012, when there were over 100 active drill rigs going in North Dakota at once, I was mainly with the Fracking end but also helped with other completion duties. Unfortunately, that was also the most destructive to my health and personal life. Well I survived and have only images in my head, no pics allowed on the well site and I used their phone for the duration. Wish I would have sent some shots to my email.

Light at the end of the tunnel, this probably my final job, is also by far have the best workplace environment as well as a ton of satisfaction in working for the public.

THANKS for your story, Dave

Good Morning All!
38F in Libby

We gave up! Ordered a new loader/backhoe @ 34K; LStractor MT240E. It is only money ... right? Reason for giving up was most of the new tractor places did NOT have everything we wanted and would have to wait weeks for it to come in. Some had the backhoe, some not. Kubota and Deer did not have anything new with a wait time of *months*. Was not really wanting a Kubota as the quality has gone down, Deer pricing was a bunch higher for pretty much the same spec's - guess that you are buying green paint; used them for price checking. Liked the Kioti but no backhoe attachment without waiting. These are established dealers too. Next, the used market is pretty much nil and if you did find something with low hours they wanted almost new prices and that usually did not come with any warranty, or the warranty was almost kaput. Couple $1000 difference in most cases so we opted for the warranty - 5 years for the one we are getting.

Pellets: Found out that I could not get a truckload ( 22 pallets - 44KLbs ) from any of the 3 mills near. They all would not sell as they have agreements with the local vendors that they will not sell to anybody living close to them and I had to be a business. So, we will pay the freight sorta speak @ $245 a ton. Getting 15 ton as we have 4 pellet stoves, 2 in house, the others in traincave. Geesh.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back