Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Diner/Coffee Shop!
Nother short night for me - to bed at 9pm, wake up at 2am - bah, humbug.
I think I am going to try for a delivery job with Amazon as I am up that time most every day?
MEL - Open the door - this puppy don't hunt with out coffree!
I'll be back for something to eat around daylight?

Supposed to be the following later on today:
Sunny and hot. Afternoon breezes , high near 98°F .
Pollen level is rated "low-medium".
As we speak it did not cool down very much last night - 75 degrees right now - must not have an onshore wind?

Replaced one flap of the doggie door yesterday, cooked them some cchicken to enhance their meal at night. Gonna have to cut back on the portion with the higher prices. Today I'll replace the outside flap this morning before it gets too hot!

Need to make a recycle run today - maybe get enough $ to cover the fuel used to do it? LOL! We are charged 5 cents for a plastic bottle, but only get back 2 cents or so! The State fund has millions in it and Newsome is constantly trying to "tap" the excess -

Good morning everyone, no modeling lately mainly trying to see how to finish off my track plan layout to no avail. Can’t squeeze more track into a limited space so will now start focusing on how I have it. Wanted that over under, but just too tight for my liking with squeezing a third track in. Will stick with the level track and will focus on finishing my steam ship and the dock area first. Note in the bottom picture how tight the 24 inch radius track is, I wanted a third track up at the top To go down to the train yard, but won’t go this route.

7B70E547-8FCB-4C92-9EE0-9DD82D6A73F4.png

60AF577C-F696-4BE2-B7BF-064D873DBEB0.jpeg

7E5FE13D-3455-44D2-87FC-731E404C062C.png

Last edited:
damn computer posted on me - I must have rested my hand on the "pad".
Anyway, the refund should be upped to balance the collection ... it is supposed to encourage people to recycle - not make the State money. Just another TAX!

JOE - nice 1-1 photos - your layout looks very nice!

There is not much nicer food that Southern Fried Catfish, hush puppies, and corn-on-the-cob, or fries! You guys just are nor cooking it correctly? LOL

Good morning everyone, no modeling lately mainly trying to see how to finish off my track plan layout to no avail. Can’t squeeze more track into a limited space so will now start focusing on how I have it. Wanted that over under, but just too tight for my liking with squeezing a third track in. Will stick with the level track and will focus on finishing my steam ship and the dock area first. Note in the bottom how tight the 24 inch radius track is, I wanted a third track up at the top To go down to the train yard, but won’t go this route.

View attachment 150055

View attachment 150056

View attachment 150057
Looks pretty awesome to me, where on the dock are you thinking of putting your loading crane ?

GARY - Still looking at the layout plan and trying to figure out what all the red x's mean? I like the layout and the ship is a work of art! Is it to scale?
I think the X's are sections of track that Gary will move or have to be removed, as they relate to the third track that's on the plan but are too tight, so he will no longer be building.

I hope the ships to scale, and he adds a crane, coz that's gonna be one big a&%ed crane lol.

Last edited:
Looks pretty awesome to me, where on the dock are you thinking of putting your loading crane ?
The loading crane will go roughly where the small wooden structure is. I will be doing a set of rails down this section as well. This area will be compressed for sure. I was always attempting to get to Byron Henderson water wings layout with the right hand upper leg going down to my train station, and of course wanted a 24” outer radius double main vice the single.

43D2FBD7-7D3C-4612-A027-1FF16D5E5124.png

The loading crane will go roughly where the small wooden structure is. I will be doing a set of rails down this section as well. This area will be compressed for sure. I was always attempting to get to Byron Henderson water wings layout with the right hand upper leg going down to my train station, and of course wanted a 24” outer radius double main vice the single.

View attachment 150059
Gary, this is already an awesome layout, can't wait to see how this progresses.

Good Morning, folks!

Don't know what happened to me yesterday. I got really sick, very quickly. Felt ok when I woke up, but, by noon I was hurting bad in the stomach area. It stopped me from doing things I had a mind to do. All I did in the end was sit under the shade tree, and waste the day away.
I'm feeling considerably better today, although not 100%.

I did manage to spray bomb the motels windows and doors a suitable brown colour:
Motel_08-11-2022 (1).JPG

I hope to start putting it all together today. I've come up with an idea to light one upper and one lower floor window, while blacking out the rest with the supplied kit curtains. It will look like somebody is home in a couple of rooms.

Heading out to breakfast with an old friend sometime this morning. Just waiting for him to call right now.

Gary - That's a beautiful layout you are working on. Far and away more elaborate than mine. Well done, indeed!

Can't hang around, folks. Gotta get the dog walked before heading out for breakfast.
Have a great day!

Gary, very nice work on the layout, and, of course, I love the boat. I forget which class you said that was? It's been a while since I played the Cruel Seas WWII MTB boat game. Those boats are 1/300 scale, so I surmise that the Big Blue Boat is a coast gun boat of some sort?

I'm hoping to print up a 19th Century Brig, since my layout is based on my books, and the pirates of yore are still around. ;) Ole Barti Ddu and his Royal Fortune might be on my train layout. I ought to start designing it's final track plan so I know I have room for a 1/160 scale Brig.

Got my night-sock/splint for Plantar yesterday, and wore it last night. Did a couple of hours of sitting in the lay-z-boy, and most of the night (post asthma attack). today the foot is feeling much better.

Wife says 5-guys burgers for lunch, then I'm off to go game today.

Teams like Houston and Tampa Bay have shown the way to compete with big budget, big market teams. The Orioles are following their lead.
Most teams are not the Yankees, Dodgers, or Braves....maybe the Phillies, which is funny because when I was growing up with baseball in the 50s and 60s, they were a Budget Team. The Orioles, were competitive from the time they came to Baltimore, until their relatively recent history. And for a portion of that time...then and now...there was a team in DC.

Pitching and defense are the keys to success. I'm happy to see the Birds come to life. the last couple of seasons were pathetic.

Good morning from the land of Cheeseheads and their gods of the season came out to play last night. My wife loves her Packers and they were on TV last night. No clue nor do I care what happened during the game. But, she was doing a lot of “speaking” at the monitor. She was running the sound through her blue tooth hearing aids so I didn’t hear the probably constant babble about guys who in most cases will never see a regular season game. Mr. Physedelic QB Mr. Rodgers is right when he says if you take care of yourself you don’t need these meaningless game if you practice during the week!

I saw the new releases from the National Trainshow in what I thought was St. Louis after the NMRA convention but no, the NTS was down the road in Collinsville, Il. home of the great St. Louis RPM show. Strange that is to me! But I do hope Gordy Robinson the President can pull the organization up into this Century. I think this starts his 2nd year of his term! Just think I was so close to this train show on Wednesday and Thursday. Naw…

Its gloomy this Saturday morning. 65 heading to 79 and the WeatherChannel app says, “there is a moderate risk of severe weather today.” But, a 41% chance of rain is the highest % all day, the NWS can be so obtuse! That new weather term the last few years “pop up” saves their bacon quite a bit!

Working yesterday in the new transload area. This area was originally the steel recycling center’s scrap yard. Then I got the brilliant idea to make it a small locomotive serving facility. Now it’s being changed into the new location of the transload area. I used the smooth-it plaster like material from WS to create the servicing pad and the floor of the engine house. Seems I made them a bit (1/8”) higher then the Sintra board I was going to use for the concrete base of the parking/work area lot of the transload. Easy shave down the smooth it. Bad idea but easily fixed, it’s now removed. Today or Monday I will zip off to the artist store I purchase the Sintra board from and bring home enough!

So back to the inspection upgrade bench. I also worked yesterday on 40 pieces of rolling stock. Wheel and coupler inspection. Then later(around 10pm) I even wrote the standards down. I like the cars to be heavy and was trying to be at 1oz for every 10 scale feet. I changed the standard to 1oz to every real inch of car, plus. A 7.5” car would be weighted to the next ounce or 8oz. That will be today’s inspection of the 40 cars started yesterday.

enjoy the day

edit. Just found this important announcement
32C23142-DB0E-4357-86A4-0A8EA72CC76B.png

Last edited:
Morning all,

Got the top line started an hour ago and had things to get done that took me away. 70° and sunny, high of 101° today. Got the lawn mowed this morning, at least the front. Back is more "native" in nature and grows slower due to not having sprinklers in the back.

We didn't win the trivia last night, but we were not last either. 17 teams, we placed 6th. We had fun which was the point.

Got to move the first load of laundry to the dryer and start another load. Then get the week's groceries.

BBL

Gary, very nice work on the layout, and, of course, I love the boat. I forget which class you said that was? It's been a while since I played the Cruel Seas WWII MTB boat game. Those boats are 1/300 scale, so I surmise that the Big Blue Boat is a coast gun boat of some sort?

I'm hoping to print up a 19th Century Brig, since my layout is based on my books, and the pirates of yore are still around. ;) Ole Barti Ddu and his Royal Fortune might be on my train layout. I ought to start designing it's final track plan so I know I have room for a 1/160 scale Brig.

Got my night-sock/splint for Plantar yesterday, and wore it last night. Did a couple of hours of sitting in the lay-z-boy, and most of the night (post asthma attack). today the foot is feeling much better.

Wife says 5-guys burgers for lunch, then I'm off to go game today.
I remember Gary saying it was a WWII Liberty ship. As such, the guns might look intimidating by themselves, but compared to almost anything on a real warship, they are pop guns.

Happy Saturday. Started out at 59° on the front porch, (53° at the Rutgers U station 3miles away). Going to around 82° Definite improvement over last week.
Gary: The ship is outstanding. Layout is going to be awesome.

My back is very sore, (Sciatica ?), It's worse in bed...maybe the mattress? Did manage 8½ hours of interrupted sleep.

Sherrel: Thanks. I added more "cobblestone" around the freight house yesterday. Need to get busy with the structures, for the enginehouse area. Also need to ballast main tracks.

SC-21 @ Front & Bromall @ the Quartz heading for the Crik-08-11-2022 Benniey Briscoe.jpg

This is a modern era photo of the line, my railroad is based on.
Bennie Briscoe, photo on 8-11-2022 at Front & Broomall Sts. in Chester, PA. Sherrel, you used to pass over this on your final approach to PHL. That's PQ Industries on the right. Used to switch that place back in the day. It was known as Philadelphia Quartz back then. Narrow street to the left of the train is W. Front St. Empty space between street and track is where the Reading Main used to be. Still enough volume on this line to support seven yard crews.

Good Morning All. Clear and 76° out there right now. Today is supposed to be the last day with temperatures below 100°, then three days above, then ???

Can't remember what I did to keep busy yesterday besides picking tomatoes, splitting wood, doing laundry and grilling pork chops for supper. Oh! I turned on the dishwasher if that counts!;) Today, a session with the electric push mower and moving on to the next tree that needs removal. The average pool temperature is going down due to the shorter daylight hours and those two strategically placed umbrellas.Still in the mid-80's which fits both of our comfort zones.

Thanks for the various reactions and comments yesterday regarding the blood numbers, culverts and layout progress; Karl, Sherrel, Chad, Tom O, Troy, Smudge, James, Hughie, Dave B, Curt, Chet, Louis, Gary, Tom, Patrick, Joe, Mikey, Guy, Rick.

Despite being busy yesterday, I did make some time to go out to the train shed. Running trains Thursday felt so good that I did it again yesterday while waiting for glue to set up. I did complete the ground cover in the corner behind the Industrial Supply building, but I did not add the trees back yet.
IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

I am not intending to move across the siding tracks at this time, I will be going in the other direction behind the bank. I still have some more to do here as well.
Across the road, I added stripes to the parking lot of the as yet unnamed building.
IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

Troy - While I don't have a clue about what you posted about yesterday morning, that looks like one hell of a mess with the 3D printer.
Dave B - My primary care physician is a "pill pusher". He's not used to patients like me who press him for behavior changes to manage an issue instead of a pill to just cover up the issue. He willingly discusses alternatives when asked, but he admits that most of his patients aren't willing to make the changes. My two main issues of blood pressure and type II diabetes have been considerably reduced by losing weight. The BP problem will probably never go away completely, but I should be able to mitigate it some more.
Sherrel - Your Thursday itinerary seemed busy! Surprised that you could remember it all.

Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back