Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just made a Kroger run for something to smoke on the Kamado this weekend (Did Chicken last evening). Found a chuck roast. And got other odds and ends (milk, yogurt, etc). Conversation here made me conscious of needing to take my cloth bags in.

bags.jpg

Both of those came back with us from Bagless California. Wife got the left one at the Gem and Jewelry show. I got the right one at a political convention. That was an experience I'm glad to be past. I'd toss the bag to purge the memories, but it's a good bag and useful.

I did grab one plastic bag, and that was to put the chuck roast in. I'd prefer not to put raw meat packages into direct contact with the cloth.

Me and the cat are out on the patio, listening to the Amish Woodpeckers working on the far end of the front of our unit. Air nailer is doing its tap... tap... taptap...

I predict they'll be working on my patio on Thursday? Maybe friday? I'll keep an eye on them, since I'll need to clear the grills and the furniture out of their way.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 78° here in now wet North Central Texas. The thunderstorm yesterday afternoon deposited 1.1" of rain in the gauge. The weather geeks at the NWS are now predicting the same thing for later today, with a high of only 94°. Overnight lows still in the upper 70's. Thank goodness for that rain yesterday, several pros; I don't need to water the garden for a few days, topped off the swimming pool, helped the trees and grass for a few days, washed the car, and most of all it settled the dust from the roadside work out front. If it rains again today, I might get a second cutting of hay from my hayfield. Cons; it made mud for the granddog to get into and it will stifle my outdoor activity today. I haven't picked veggies since Wednesday and I have a tree to cut into firewood. It could cause the grass to grow if we get more rain today, and then I will have to mow again.

On the subject of the road out front, it appears that the county has completed their objective in my immediate area. I wasn't able to talk to any of the workers who I know, so I don't know the status on whether or not they will fix our easement road up to the neighbors.

Busy day for me yesterday. Did laundry, gathered up and took trash to the dumpster, shredded brush, felled a tree, and made 4.5 quarts of tomato sauce before settling down and making supper. That was a change of the original plan from grilling burgers due to the rain. Fortunately I had some chicken chipolte dinner sausages that I had grilled earlier in the week when I grilled pork chops for supper. Wednesday I think. Been using the grill a lot this summer rather than heating up the kitchen needlessly.

Plastic bags: I try not to use them at the grocery store. I have always hated them from the beginning. Too flimsy and they don't hold enough. Many of the stores in our area provide a drop-off bin for plastic bags for recycling. My wife loves the plastic so we get more than we actually can recycle at home.

Thanks once again for the likes and comments regarding the layout progress; Karl, Guy, Dave B, Louis, Tom O, James, Chad, Hughie, Patrick, Gary, Sherrel, Tom, Curt, Rick.

I didn't make it out to the train shed yesterday. After making the tomato sauce, the rain along with the power outages kept it from being a meaningful trip out there.
Let's just visit the archives. Here's an older shot in Graham.
05-28-20 009.JPG

Behind the commercial district in Charlottesville.
06-16-20 004.JPG

A meet up in Vernon.
12-12-18 009.JPG

Guy - It's amusing that you called 89° a heat wave, at this time of year that's considered a cool spell here!;)
I think that the Shell decals on the oil drums look great. Remember that they will be viewed from 3' or more.
Only February, July and August are typically dry here
Curt - I like the Blair Line crossings as they save a lot of time from making them from scratch.
Chet - Yep! Living in an area so close to many of the refineries does keep the cost of gasoline down. So does the state fuel tax of only 20¢ a gallon.

I have absolutely no issues with Facebook, Twitter or any other social media website. Simple, I don't use any of them except this forum.

Everybody have a great day.

Info on the BookFace changes here:

Edit to add this pull quote from the piece I linked:

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 10.44.04 AM.png

Willie: Have you ever considered painting the raw plywood ceiling blue with some Bob Ross Happy Clouds to further the illusion in your photos?

Last edited:
Wellp... So I was cruising YouTube, and in the suggested vids, this little one (below) popped up.

Some of you may have heard it. Many cowboy crooners evidently have. But, I like this version best. Watching the bandmates laugh is a hoot...

If you don't know, my main series of books has a girl who can see and hear ghosts. Her ex-boyfriend hangs around her... or his spirit does. Seems he died in a motorcycle crash into a truck with a flatbed full of crates of live chickens. He's often seen by her, covered in feathers, or sporting a few ghost chickens on his shoulders.

So, I give you, Ghost Chickens In the Sky

Wellp... So I was cruising YouTube, and in the suggested vids, this little one (below) popped up.

Some of you may have heard it. Many cowboy crooners evidently have. But, I like this version best. Watching the bandmates laugh is a hoot...

If you don't know, my main series of books has a girl who can see and hear ghosts. Her ex-boyfriend hangs around her... or his spirit does. Seems he died in a motorcycle crash into a truck with a flatbed full of crates of live chickens. He's often seen by her, covered in feathers, or sporting a few ghost chickens on his shoulders.

So, I give you, Ghost Chickens In the Sky

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I still can't stop laughing, absolutely hilarious, you just made my weekend, thanks.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Afternoon All,

Drove down and visited my buddy Tom and other friends this morning. After getting home I painted wheels and changed couplers on the 3 H21a's I recieved on Friday.

Tom- Interesting detail. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Karl- Life is good.

Troy- Not a problem since I closed my account 18 months ago.

Guy- Nice looking scene.

TomO- Have fun. Great photo. It's a keeper.

Willie- Nice layout scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

good-morning-dogs-smiley-emoticon.gif Going to be another hot one today. Took the girls for their long walk early, brought the pickup to the condo which I had parked by the school bus barn and had to wash to Ford. It had so much dust from the traffic of construction workers and trucks delivering supplies that the car looked like it had the windows painted over. The car matches the color of the dust almost perfectly. the last unit is expected to be completed in around a month.

Todd - I am a big fan of micro breweries and I will have to say that some of what they have there qualifies as swill, but I did find a couple that are decent. As for the food, I don't care for the foo foo stuff on the menu. For the last couple of years in the gallatin Valley, I met a close friend for lunch every Tuesday at a place called Sidewinders. It got to the point that when they opened, we just walked to our regular table and the beers were already on the table. They claim to have 105 different micro brews. This is only one side, both ends and the complete other side was all taps. There is another bank of taps also and coolers below. I do miss this place. Here the bar tender is getting ready to con some for me to bring home.

thumbnail_20210518_123733.jpg

I am not much into Mexican food but I do like Burger Express. About the only fast food outfit I go to is Arby's. Like their roast beef. Chic-Fil-A has good food. Only had it once when we went down to Texas to pick up the little dachshund on the right below. I understand that there is one in either Whitefish or Kalispell. I liked eating at Nickle Charlie's in Kalispell. Went ther when we were up on bowling tournaments. I would rather deal with a local business. They also have doggie patties that I can take home for my girls. They always line up next to the table when I have something to eat hoping for a handout.

thumbnail_20220505_165956.jpg

Poor starving girls.

I will go the the car show but can't have my '59 Impala up in Libby for it. I keep it in a climate controlled place and haven't even found a place to store a car inn Libby yet.

Sherrel had mentioned alternative that some forum members had information on these sites to sell model railroad equipment. I would appreciate and information on this because I have a lot to put up for sale as soon as I find it. (brings tears to my eyes).

Chad - Not only do I like the train cab ride videos, but their tram ride videos are great. When we would hit a port when I was in the Navy, I always would take a tram ride if they were available. A good and cheap way to see a city.

Willie - Great photos as usual. Put gas in the pickup on the way to the condo and understand that the gas had gone down by 10 cents a gallon today. As much as I have to drive here, I don't really pay much attention.

Troy - Great Video.

Here are a few old photos from the Livingston Model Railroad Club. Do miss going there.

thumbnail_20210722_135321.jpg
thumbnail_20210722_135205.jpg
thumbnail_20200801_201422.jpg
thumbnail_20200905_194231.jpg
thumbnail_20200711_193644.jpg
thumbnail_20210701_170735.jpg
thumbnail_20190808_133442.jpg

Northern Pacific Passenger train at Gardiner, Montana.

Gotta go, Later

My grandson loves Chick-fil-a. So last week I had my first Chick-fil-A deluxe sandwich. I always wondered why people line up in two lines 10-20 cars deep at most any Chick-fil-a drive through. After trying the sandwich I still have no idea. After trying it I gave the rest to my beagles, they enjoyed. I made a bologna sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. That is my favorite sandwich! Occasionally I do prefer Costco's albacore tuna.
I'll take McDonald's or Burger King any day over Chick-fil-a! That's is just my personal opinion. To each his own.

View attachment 149416 Going to be another hot one today. Took the girls for their long walk early, brought the pickup to the condo which I had parked by the school bus barn and had to wash to Ford. It had so much dust from the traffic of construction workers and trucks delivering supplies that the car looked like it had the windows painted over. The car matches the color of the dust almost perfectly. the last unit is expected to be completed in around a month.

Todd - I am a big fan of micro breweries and I will have to say that some of what they have there qualifies as swill, but I did find a couple that are decent. As for the food, I don't care for the foo foo stuff on the menu. For the last couple of years in the gallatin Valley, I met a close friend for lunch every Tuesday at a place called Sidewinders. It got to the point that when they opened, we just walked to our regular table and the beers were already on the table. They claim to have 105 different micro brews. This is only one side, both ends and the complete other side was all taps. There is another bank of taps also and coolers below. I do miss this place. Here the bar tender is getting ready to con some for me to bring home.

View attachment 149417

I am not much into Mexican food but I do like Burger Express. About the only fast food outfit I go to is Arby's. Like their roast beef. Chic-Fil-A has good food. Only had it once when we went down to Texas to pick up the little dachshund on the right below. I understand that there is one in either Whitefish or Kalispell. I liked eating at Nickle Charlie's in Kalispell. Went ther when we were up on bowling tournaments. I would rather deal with a local business. They also have doggie patties that I can take home for my girls. They always line up next to the table when I have something to eat hoping for a handout.

View attachment 149418
Poor starving girls.

I will go the the car show but can't have my '59 Impala up in Libby for it. I keep it in a climate controlled place and haven't even found a place to store a car inn Libby yet.

Sherrel had mentioned alternative that some forum members had information on these sites to sell model railroad equipment. I would appreciate and information on this because I have a lot to put up for sale as soon as I find it. (brings tears to my eyes).

Chad - Not only do I like the train cab ride videos, but their tram ride videos are great. When we would hit a port when I was in the Navy, I always would take a tram ride if they were available. A good and cheap way to see a city.

Willie - Great photos as usual. Put gas in the pickup on the way to the condo and understand that the gas had gone down by 10 cents a gallon today. As much as I have to drive here, I don't really pay much attention.

Troy - Great Video.

Here are a few old photos from the Livingston Model Railroad Club. Do miss going there.

View attachment 149422View attachment 149423View attachment 149424View attachment 149425View attachment 149427View attachment 149428View attachment 149429
Northern Pacific Passenger train at Gardiner, Montana.

Gotta go, Later
Chet

I successfully sell and buy often on Facebook. I have sold over 100 cars since 1/2020 there and I only do trains on Facebook so it is not a bothersome place for me.

I look to sell at a decent price. The older stuff like Athearn BlueBox and Accurail seemed to sell quickly. But as always it’s a mixed bag. No need for the original box but wrap safely and all is good.

The 1st 3 listed is where I have my most success. There are many more HO sites and at one time I was selling from 12 of them. But tracking my sales, I have dropped to the top 3 I show here. I hope this helps
D4BBC05F-8EAE-4F4D-8381-CC7D35FC083F.png

My grandson loves Chick-fil-a. So last week I had my first Chick-fil-A deluxe sandwich. I always wondered why people line up in two lines 10-20 cars deep at most any Chick-fil-a drive through. After trying the sandwich I still have no idea. After trying it I gave the rest to my beagles, they enjoyed. I made a bologna sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. That is my favorite sandwich! Occasionally I do prefer Costco's albacore tuna.
I'll take McDonald's or Burger King any day over Chick-fil-a! That's is just my personal opinion. To each his own.
Louis - agree with ya here. Finally got to the one in Kalispell while I was waiting for Discount Tires to finish with my rig. Have not a clue of what all the hub-hub is about. Spendy tooo.

Pamida - The one in Libby went away a few years ago. Building stayed empty for a couple of years, then Family Dollar and Dollar General ( I think ) moved in right next to each other. They put a dividing wall down the center. Go figure. When we first got to Libby ( 2004 ) we always wondered where Pamida came from - so now you know - Paul, Mike and Dave!

Both grocery stores still give bags away AND you choose from plastic or paper. Out of towner's ( or new to town ) bring their own.

Walmart does not have a clue on how to stuff bags. We go in every few weeks to replenish truck goodies. Always end up with 10 or 15 bags, some of which only have 1 thing in them. No biggie to us as we use ( reuse ) them; end up hanging from the passenger seat arm rest for garbage. Pretty much same for stuff we bring home, have a bag of bags which are reused for multiple things. Winter we get paper bags as those things are great for fire starting - well that is until I started using the 'Big Bic'. Only have a wood cook stove for actual wood anymore, switched to pellets for heat and love it.
Todd- the Pamida stores that were still open in 2012 were either closed or converted to Hometown ShopKo. ShopKo has since closed a few years back. The storefront in Weston

There is a lot of misconception about the Amish, (and other Germanic religious groups), much of which is due to their close knit community. Much of what we know about them is speculative at best. When I worked Amtrak's "Keystone Service", I frequently observed Amish using our trains. Passing through areas where they were populated, I also had a daily opportunity to witness their interactions.

Speaking of "Witness", my Conductor, John Garvey appeared in the movie, and still receives residuals on a regular basis.
Joe- when Witness was filmed, my Dad was working in Center City & saw them filming the lunch scene in the city(the one where Samuel belched).

Evening all,

Busy day early, and then binge watched Big Timber on Netflix. Kind of cloudy and cool for July. High in the upper 70's. The fell asleep in my chair when they wife watched a movie on Hallmark. Try to get back downstairs tomorrow after I get back from getting groceries.

Troy: Thanks for the hit from the past. Been at least 25 years since I last heard "Ghost Chickens".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back