Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life IS good! Got started on benchwork today!
51B4FDB4-1EF8-487C-BCD8-04D3A152AF25.jpeg
51B4FDB4-1EF8-487C-BCD8-04D3A152AF25.jpeg

There is a lot of misconception about the Amish, (and other Germanic religious groups), much of which is due to their close knit community. Much of what we know about them is speculative at best. When I worked Amtrak's "Keystone Service", I frequently observed Amish using our trains. Passing through areas where they were populated, I also had a daily opportunity to witness their interactions.

Speaking of "Witness", my Conductor, John Garvey appeared in the movie, and still receives residuals on a regular basis.
We have a few Amish communities in the surrounding counties(the town where I live is bisected by one county line & another is just off to the west a short bit). The farm next to the one that is in front of my FIL’s hunting woods is Amish. We have Mennonites in the area, too. When I do the weekend farmer’s market with the Mrs, there’s fewer vendors on Sunday because the Amish & Mennonites are only there on Saturday.

Sad to see the flooding in the US, we are close to drought atm,but are being threatened with high temp and possible rain, not expecting flooding just high humidity which I hate, but would take over flooding any day. I just set a large towel and lie under it, swimming for my life is not a thought I like the idea of.

Where I live is likely to flood if the climate actually rises the seas only a few feet, our bungalow won’t give much protection,and the mezzanine in the barn would become very popular as long as the tractor does not float! The flooding here is likely to take a hundred years only if the weather continues in the direction it is going. I do not swim very well, hate my face under water.

Governments need to accept water will go where it wants when it reaches high levels, and stop allowing building on vulnerable land, they could grow crop and if lost at least not lives, but unfortunately money and backhanders seemingly have more influence. here in the uk permission for building on vulnerable land is going ahead, ignoring the potential? LIKELY issues down the way :( . We are out in a large farming area, and if the government had any chances of keeping THEIR heads above water they need to consider some dykes to protect the food source, only problem is they spend money on a super fast railway not really needed, plus Covid costs, Russia hitting Ukraine etc and fuel costs up and grain sunflower down, we waste money like we could print it, well some countries areChina buys land all around the world with printed money.
The real problem is everyone in charge is in it for the ’now’ and no one appears to give a damn about the future

I know is is sort of politics but I am bemoaning worldwide not specific countries or parties, so hope it does not break the rules.
Eantime my birds are happy we have sone lovely sunsets, and my kitchen is getting an overhaul as it was before

Attachments

• FF83465E-EA0C-4A70-B751-024913C5C9BB.jpeg
    FF83465E-EA0C-4A70-B751-024913C5C9BB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • E8722AF4-4578-4BD2-BD17-3D407F0289E6.jpeg
    E8722AF4-4578-4BD2-BD17-3D407F0289E6.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 86
  • D5B11A3A-1E38-4AE5-997C-335AB3FD3E7F.jpeg
    D5B11A3A-1E38-4AE5-997C-335AB3FD3E7F.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 8BB010B0-74B7-4DFE-A687-A36E1557EEF0.jpeg
    8BB010B0-74B7-4DFE-A687-A36E1557EEF0.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 84
  • AD790E7F-35DE-4E4C-BC21-20AEBE8FB34D.jpeg
    AD790E7F-35DE-4E4C-BC21-20AEBE8FB34D.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 72D0878F-73B2-4B66-949C-25AD6EF51F8B.jpeg
    72D0878F-73B2-4B66-949C-25AD6EF51F8B.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 91
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those roasting like marshmallows over a campfire - be you be in the US or UK

Hope all is well, or as well as can be. NE Indiana is getting some mild weather. A bit of Rain will impact our Amish Woodpecker colony, but only for a day or two.

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 6.06.36 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 6.06.45 AM.png

I've almost finished wording the words on my new Canadian series intro story. One more chapter to go. Hope to knock that out before lunch:

Here's yesterday's totals

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 9.11.50 PM.png

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 80°, expecting 102° later on. Maybe some relief coming up as the NWS forecast only shows the temperature for 4 of the next 10 days reaching 100°. No real chance of rain in the foreseeable future. Yesterday was nice at just 98°, but unfortunately there was no wind. The additional rain predicted for yesterday never materialized.

I had a major tomato picking event yesterday, the damn things keep coming despite the oppressive temperatures. I picked 35 lbs with only four tomatoes damaged by the grasshoppers. I hadn't picked any since Wednesday. Happily, most all of them were at least waist high on the plants so there was minimal bending over. For the most part though, they are tending to be about 15% smaller right now. Still haven't needed to mow the yard any except the immediate area around the house which gets watering to minimize grassfire conditions. Of course the downside is that I am not out there chopping the grasshoppers up with the mower blades. They're big enough now to jump away anyway.

In a surprise neighborhood development, my incarcerated next door neighbor was released Friday and came down to visit me yesterday. Technically he has now served his entire sentence of eight years and no longer has to deal with probation/parole people until the next time. There will be a next time I am sure. He is still required to get a job as part of his release, which was part of the reason for his most recent lockup. Violation of a restraining order was another. He has never had any problems with me or one other neighbor, however he has been crossways with three others and a fourth by association, hence the restraining order. As I may have posted before, in the 20 years that he and his wife have lived there, the only visitors that I have ever seen going to his house had "Sheriff" or "US Marshall Service" printed on their doors. Usually in multiples.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the random scenes posted yesterday; Mikey, Karl, Hughie, Tom O, Smudge, Gary, Curt, Chet, Louis, Sherrel, Rick, Patrick, Guy, Tom, Jaz.

So, what did I do out in the train shed yesterday? Not nearly as much as I planned since my neighbor came by and we talked for an hour while I ran a train for him.
But I did finalize my decision to have just a single spur for both businesses in the current project area. I nailed it down and painted the rail and ties.
IMG_1395.JPG

The overspray on the backdrop and the gap at the bottom will be covered up by a building flat that I intend to make from DPM modular walls.
I then brush painted the ground with a custom color that I had mixed up at Home Depot.
IMG_1396.JPG

It doesn't quite match whatever I had painted next to it years ago, but it doesn't matter since ground cover or parking lot paint will cover everything. I don't know whether I will ballast next or build the building flat next; maybe both.

Gary -
I wouldn’t recommend any double stacks on that girder bridge though
Your comment to Dave reminds me of my brother's first layout. He had a bridge that he had meticulously scratchbuilt a few years prior to building the layout, and realized after layout completion that none of his double-stacks or autoracks would fit. He had to remove/replace the bridge and an adjoining few feet of scenery. Same brother paid someone several hundreds of $$$ to install decoders into a pair of Big Boys, that he later realized couldn't negotiate his mostly 18" radius and a few pieces of 15" radius curves.
Tom O - I read about the city of Las Vegas NM and their water shortage. The Gallinas River where they get their water is contaminated by ash and debris from a nearby wildfire. The city's water filtering system cannot filter the water. I'm willing to bet that the National Guard or another military service has something that could help them.
Troy -
Willie: Have you ever considered painting the raw plywood ceiling blue with some Bob Ross Happy Clouds to further the illusion in your photos?
Yes I have. But it will be another ten years before that project comes up after I finish the rest of the layout.
If you need words fast, you might try contacting Jaz. :cool:
Chet - I miss the pictures of the Livingston club as much as I miss your layout photos. Between you and Todd, I certainly know where to go and eat if I ever make it up to Libby!;) Unfortunately it's a three day drive for me to get there.

Everybody have a great day today.

Sad to see the flooding in the US, we are close to drought atm,but are being threatened with high temp and possible rain, not expecting flooding just high humidity which I hate, but would take over flooding any day. I just set a large towel and lie under it, swimming for my life is not a thought I like the idea of.

Where I live is likely to flood if the climate actually rises the seas only a few feet, our bungalow won’t give much protection,and the mezzanine in the barn would become very popular as long as the tractor does not float! The flooding here is likely to take a hundred years only if the weather continues in the direction it is going. I do not swim very well, hate my face under water.

Governments need to accept water will go where it wants when it reaches high levels, and stop allowing building on vulnerable land, they could grow crop and if lost at least not lives, but unfortunately money and backhanders seemingly have more influence. here in the uk permission for building on vulnerable land is going ahead, ignoring the potential? LIKELY issues down the way :( . We are out in a large farming area, and if the government had any chances of keeping THEIR heads above water they need to consider some dykes to protect the food source, only problem is they spend money on a super fast railway not really needed, plus Covid costs, Russia hitting Ukraine etc and fuel costs up and grain sunflower down, we waste money like we could print it, well some countries areChina buys land all around the world with printed money.
The real problem is everyone in charge is in it for the ’now’ and no one appears to give a damn about the future

I know is is sort of politics but I am bemoaning worldwide not specific countries or parties, so hope it does not break the rules.
Eantime my birds are happy we have sone lovely sunsets, and my kitchen is getting an overhaul as it was before
Man since creation seems to try to move the water courses to where they desire. Doesn’t seem to work out in the end. Flooding to me as I have been in a couple is the worst of the natural disasters but most have a man made element to them. I have seen tornadoes and the aftermath but never have experienced one.

Good Morning!

58F heading up to 70, under cloud. It's actually very nice outside. I was just out there to start the lawn sprinkler for a 20min run.
The 'they's' say it's supposed to rain this afternoon. I hope that forecast is true.

Willie - Glad you find my thoughts on temperature amusing. Actually, Environment Canada put out severe heat warnings over the last few days. They suggest checking on the aged neighbours and helping out those who are in distress from heat exhaustion; and I don't think it hit 90F. Canadians just can't take the heat.

Yesterday, I build some some balsa rail ties and dipped them in Dark Walnut stain. I'll cut them in half length wise, and that will give me over 100 ties. That should be enough to fill-in the remaining track laying on my table:
Ties_07-30-2022.JPG

Plus, I started the motel office.
I've decided I don't like the carport overhang idea on the roof. It will hide the stores front entrance from view, when placed on my 44.5" layout height. - So, I'm going to cut the roof in half, to have about a scale 3' overhang. I won't use the planter and the roof supports for their intended purpose.
I'll also scribe some sidewalk detail into that base at the front of the building.
Motel_07-31-2022 (1).JPG

There's not a-lot of parts to this little motel office. I'll have to consider if I want to build an interior into the structure.
I probably will build an interior. If I don't, it means I just got lazy, and I'll suffer for it later in knowing I didn't do it. Those are good sized windows to let everything be seen.

Jaz avalley - Very nice landscape photos. I was looking to see if any Messerschmitt Me.109's were still buzzing around the British skies, but, I guess you folks won that one.

BigG - Great looking, lush garden surrounded by forest. I like that.

Karl - Super nice work on the layout table construction. How wide, and how high?

Willie - What's the highway in today's 2nd post photo made out of, please? I'm toying with the idea of making highways out of sand spackled with Dap filler and then painted a grey colour. I intend to experiment with that idea soon.

I feel very sad for our American friends who are suffering those severe flood conditions; loosing everything and many lives lost. I'm seeing some horrific news stories. I've never been overly religious, but, I do send prayers in my own way, that these catastrophic events end, and the people are safe.

Suppose I'd better go turn off the sprinkler water. It's been about 1/2hr of yapping. Have a great day!

Good morning all! Didn't get a chance to stop by here yesterday, so I haven't caught up with all the posts since my last visit.

We slept in and then had to hustle to town to purchase license plate renewal stickers before the office closed at noon. My truck was going to be expired as of tomorrow if we didn't get it done yesterday. After that, we took my parents out for lunch and then came home to yard work.

Not sure what's on the agenda for today. Still drinking my coffee and trying to wake up.

Well I got good news from the Doctor Wednesday. I BEAT DIABETES! Numbers are good and I am down 25 pounds!

Mike
Outstanding! Congratulations!

Hope you all have a great day!

Shooting off your own foot seems to me? The same can of beans can be as much as 85 cents higher difference from Walmart
Out here that was made Law for most stores, and recently upped to 30 cents a bag.
Doesn't bother me - I keep a large stash in the truck at all times. The Spousal Unit keeps me supplied as she can have bags in the seat next to her and walk in to the store without them!

Glad you got the 40 bags sorted out! Best to always check your receipt - several times I have not received the "sale price" as advertised and a couple times charged for 7 items when I had only 6.
Not for nothing, we don't have that problem here...we have to bring our own...since Murphy relieved the merchants from having to supply them.
It appears that business now expects the consumer to cover all their cost of doing business, as well as labor (self-checkout).
They are also selling more small trash bags for waste cans now...:rolleyes:

Hello from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. The sun is out with a few clouds floating above. 71 now after a overnight low of 58 with the high supposed to hit 73f/28.3c.

The son is continuing to use the outdoor shower for when he needs a shower with hot water. Finally got the contractor out Friday who called him yesterday saying it will be 2 weeks before he can get a replacement water heater under the warranty. Son is heading today to Home Depot to pick up a small one for temporary use. His friend and wife are back living in the tiny house he has on his property. Said he totally forgot they were back when he took a shower Thursday outside and his friend said his wife liked the view. Then thanked him very much.

Today the surveyor lady and the realtor will be over with some preliminary information with questions where I want to go next. The only thing Terry and I have decided on is keeping 10acres for us and surrounding that 10 acres with surveyed property that won’t be developed until after we are gone. I will either start the development of the rest myself or sell it. My realtor says it’s too big to sell in one piece for the local developers to handle. Hopefully I like what I am shown today. The realtor which is not normal for her is pushing caution because the residential market is starting to slow around here. Multi residential like apartments, duplexes and condominium subdivisions is still super strong.

It maybe so nice out today being inside would be crazy. I was promised before bed last night no more last minute dinners this Summer even though yesterday’s was mostly fun. Too many kids and with them using the pool it was sometimes nerve racking. Normally the 16 year old twins were paid to act as the life guards and kid watchers, not yesterday as they had dates!

I said ok to a ride around 10 this morning. I complain about riding horses only I think because they are slow. Give me a ATV in the woods any day but riding the horses is relaxing, maybe too relaxing. Or is my thinking getting old?

I had a call yesterday from one of the daughter’s neighborhood kids. He wants to discuss his business with me. He told me he has 50 dogs from the area he walks during the week. He wants on the far end of the property he lives near to build a dog park so instead of walking the dogs they can run. This should be interesting, he is 14!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 80°, expecting 102° later on. Maybe some relief coming up as the NWS forecast only shows the temperature for 4 of the next 10 days reaching 100°. No real chance of rain in the foreseeable future. Yesterday was nice at just 98°, but unfortunately there was no wind. The additional rain predicted for yesterday never materialized.

I had a major tomato picking event yesterday, the damn things keep coming despite the oppressive temperatures. I picked 35 lbs with only four tomatoes damaged by the grasshoppers. I hadn't picked any since Wednesday. Happily, most all of them were at least waist high on the plants so there was minimal bending over. For the most part though, they are tending to be about 15% smaller right now. Still haven't needed to mow the yard any except the immediate area around the house which gets watering to minimize grassfire conditions. Of course the downside is that I am not out there chopping the grasshoppers up with the mower blades. They're big enough now to jump away anyway.

In a surprise neighborhood development, my incarcerated next door neighbor was released Friday and came down to visit me yesterday. Technically he has now served his entire sentence of eight years and no longer has to deal with probation/parole people until the next time. There will be a next time I am sure. He is still required to get a job as part of his release, which was part of the reason for his most recent lockup. Violation of a restraining order was another. He has never had any problems with me or one other neighbor, however he has been crossways with three others and a fourth by association, hence the restraining order. As I may have posted before, in the 20 years that he and his wife have lived there, the only visitors that I have ever seen going to his house had "Sheriff" or "US Marshall Service" printed on their doors. Usually in multiples.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the random scenes posted yesterday; Mikey, Karl, Hughie, Tom O, Smudge, Gary, Curt, Chet, Louis, Sherrel, Rick, Patrick, Guy, Tom, Jaz.

So, what did I do out in the train shed yesterday? Not nearly as much as I planned since my neighbor came by and we talked for an hour while I ran a train for him.
But I did finalize my decision to have just a single spur for both businesses in the current project area. I nailed it down and painted the rail and ties.
View attachment 149452
The overspray on the backdrop and the gap at the bottom will be covered up by a building flat that I intend to make from DPM modular walls.
I then brush painted the ground with a custom color that I had mixed up at Home Depot.
View attachment 149453
It doesn't quite match whatever I had painted next to it years ago, but it doesn't matter since ground cover or parking lot paint will cover everything. I don't know whether I will ballast next or build the building flat next; maybe both.

Gary -

Your comment to Dave reminds me of my brother's first layout. He had a bridge that he had meticulously scratchbuilt a few years prior to building the layout, and realized after layout completion that none of his double-stacks or autoracks would fit. He had to remove/replace the bridge and an adjoining few feet of scenery. Same brother paid someone several hundreds of $$$ to install decoders into a pair of Big Boys, that he later realized couldn't negotiate his mostly 18" radius and a few pieces of 15" radius curves.
Tom O - I read about the city of Las Vegas NM and their water shortage. The Gallinas River where they get their water is contaminated by ash and debris from a nearby wildfire. The city's water filtering system cannot filter the water. I'm willing to bet that the National Guard or another military service has something that could help them.
Troy -

Yes I have. But it will be another ten years before that project comes up after I finish the rest of the layout.
If you need words fast, you might try contacting Jaz. :cool:
Chet - I miss the pictures of the Livingston club as much as I miss your layout photos. Between you and Todd, I certainly know where to go and eat if I ever make it up to Libby!;) Unfortunately it's a three day drive for me to get there.

Everybody have a great day today.
Typing is eeeeeeasy lol.

Hello from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. The sun is out with a few clouds floating above. 71 now after a overnight low of 58 with the high supposed to hit 73f/28.3c.

The son is continuing to use the outdoor shower for when he needs a shower with hot water. Finally got the contractor out Friday who called him yesterday saying it will be 2 weeks before he can get a replacement water heater under the warranty. Son is heading today to Home Depot to pick up a small one for temporary use. His friend and wife are back living in the tiny house he has on his property. Said he totally forgot they were back when he took a shower Thursday outside and his friend said his wife liked the view. Then thanked him very much.

Today the surveyor lady and the realtor will be over with some preliminary information with questions where I want to go next. The only thing Terry and I have decided on is keeping 10acres for us and surrounding that 10 acres with surveyed property that won’t be developed until after we are gone. I will either start the development of the rest myself or sell it. My realtor says it’s too big to sell in one piece for the local developers to handle. Hopefully I like what I am shown today. The realtor which is not normal for her is pushing caution because the residential market is starting to slow around here. Multi residential like apartments, duplexes and condominium subdivisions is still super strong.

It maybe so nice out today being inside would be crazy. I was promised before bed last night no more last minute dinners this Summer even though yesterday’s was mostly fun. Too many kids and with them using the pool it was sometimes nerve racking. Normally the 16 year old twins were paid to act as the life guards and kid watchers, not yesterday as they had dates!

I said ok to a ride around 10 this morning. I complain about riding horses only I think because they are slow. Give me a ATV in the woods any day but riding the horses is relaxing, maybe too relaxing. Or is my thinking getting old?

I had a call yesterday from one of the daughter’s neighborhood kids. He wants to discuss his business with me. He told me he has 50 dogs from the area he walks during the week. He wants on the far end of the property he lives near to build a dog park so instead of walking the dogs they can run. This should be interesting, he is 14!
If not all sold at once, then the taxes may be lower, could you rent some out, perhaps not for cropping, but for other activities, a friend goes to a private home where they have dog walking on their land, and make money from it, have you considered a shooting range, you could build a back stop, just push the soil into place, set up some lanes, I have seen people use bales, provide parking, get some insurance, you might need a porta loo, and you might want a larger freezer to sell icecream,and cold drinks, tea and coffee, or else buy an old caravan. Clever idea to keep a piece in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back