Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
chadbag - I have been watching videos of cab views of the railroads in Japan. Quite interesting. It is nice to see more of Japan that I saw when I did visit there. Great videos.

I've seen a few Japanese cab ride videos. They are kind of interesting. Much different than anything we see in the US.

I actually shot a video out the cab window of a small train in Japan that goes up through the trees to a station further up a mountain, but I ever got it downloaded and edited to put up on YT.

Glad to see you stopping by. If I were to win the lottery, Montana is one place I'd like to live. (Not that I play the lottery).

For those who like to add small simple details. I seen this covered hopper with looked like replacement springs. I've painted the bearings blue on cars before but seeing the springs, that can be another detail to add to a car.
IMG_5443.jpg
IMG_3273.jpg

Well howdy there internet Mega-not-Millionaires

I got up to pee, and was awake enough to make a cuppa herbal tea.

Thought I'd check the numbers, you know, see if the voluntary tax I paid did anything. I knew the special ball # on each ticket.

Saw that special ball at the end matched one of my tickets. OK, fine. I'll check the rest. Off by 1 number on three of the other numbers (57 instead of 58)

Like I said, voluntary tax.

Now I can go to sleep and not worry about buying that vacation home in Nova Scotia... or was it Snowdonia?

FYI: for those of you using the BookofFaces.... The high commander of Zucktopia has decreed another change to be rolling out.

Sources are saying that FB is notorious for using various beta forms in initial rollouts, then bringing everyone into the same release a week or so later.

What that means is my FB on desktop might look different than your desktop experience/interface.

the two things that are changing is how the AI interface thinks you want to see stuff... If your clicks and hides have been training it, The Zuck has decreed FB don't care anymore. You gonna see what they want. So more training of the interface will need to occur.

And, now they're hiding the Most Recent option. On my desktop, it's behind the MENU icon in the left column, but you have to scroll after clicking MENU to find it.

A friend in another state has Most Recent as an option at the top of her posts....

So far, my Apple iPad is the same old interface. That will probably change in the next week or so.

Good morning all,

55° and sunshine. Headed for low 70's. Dumped off the freight cars on a siding and cleaned the wheels on the Varney 10 wheeler. Then watched a few episodes of Gunsmoke with the wife. She doesn't like me spending all evening on the train, so I get some time in here and there, also much of the day Saturday.

Tom O - those pics of Galena, particularly the steps, remind me of Alma, Wis, where my Great uncles had a fishing float in the 50's and late 60's.

Bags - we have been using cloth for years. Wife keeps them in our car, under the seat. Some of them are from merchants no longer in business around here, like Pamida.
Pamida - The one in Libby went away a few years ago. Building stayed empty for a couple of years, then Family Dollar and Dollar General ( I think ) moved in right next to each other. They put a dividing wall down the center. Go figure. When we first got to Libby ( 2004 ) we always wondered where Pamida came from - so now you know - Paul, Mike and Dave!

Both grocery stores still give bags away AND you choose from plastic or paper. Out of towner's ( or new to town ) bring their own.

Walmart does not have a clue on how to stuff bags. We go in every few weeks to replenish truck goodies. Always end up with 10 or 15 bags, some of which only have 1 thing in them. No biggie to us as we use ( reuse ) them; end up hanging from the passenger seat arm rest for garbage. Pretty much same for stuff we bring home, have a bag of bags which are reused for multiple things. Winter we get paper bags as those things are great for fire starting - well that is until I started using the 'Big Bic'. Only have a wood cook stove for actual wood anymore, switched to pellets for heat and love it.

Interesting story, Chad;

changing the topic, I wanted to circulate this video of my old, fixed up Varney 10 wheeler. A little oil, good cleaning, and new paint job makes this $60 loco and tender a workhorse on my layout. This model, I believe, is about 50 years old. Chime in if you have different information!

The layout is still under construction but I want to run trains too

If you checked out my build thread, this video was originally shared there:

Checking out for today, may be back tomorrow if I don't get carried away in the train room

Dave LASM
Dave,
Your video is awesome !
I wouldn’t recommend any double stacks on that girder bridge though…..lol

FYI: for those of you using the BookofFaces.... The high commander of Zucktopia has decreed another change to be rolling out.

Sources are saying that FB is notorious for using various beta forms in initial rollouts, then bringing everyone into the same release a week or so later.

What that means is my FB on desktop might look different than your desktop experience/interface.

the two things that are changing is how the AI interface thinks you want to see stuff... If your clicks and hides have been training it, The Zuck has decreed FB don't care anymore. You gonna see what they want. So more training of the interface will need to occur.

And, now they're hiding the Most Recent option. On my desktop, it's behind the MENU icon in the left column, but you have to scroll after clicking MENU to find it.

A friend in another state has Most Recent as an option at the top of her posts....

So far, my Apple iPad is the same old interface. That will probably change in the next week or so.
I use FB Purity on Firefox to help keep Zuckmeister showing me most recent, as well as blocking some things like Reels and wordle out of my feed entirely.

I use FB Purity on Firefox to help keep Zuckmeister showing me most recent, as well as blocking some things like Reels and wordle out of my feed entirely.
That will likely change. I've got Social Fixer running on Chrome. Little things are starting to break. Fortunately, the filters in SF are still catching words like "Reels"... For now...

the techs at SF have said they need to wait until the betas get ironed out, and only one interface is in play before they track down how to fix what Zuck has decreed.

Unfortunately, it appears that FB is going more like TikTok (more auto-play videos). Instagram is already a cesspool of that crap. I loved Instagram for the pics, but I'm rarely there any more due to the annoyance.

That will likely change. I've got Social Fixer running on Chrome. Little things are starting to break. Fortunately, the filters in SF are still catching words like "Reels"... For now...

the techs at SF have said they need to wait until the betas get ironed out, and only one interface is in play before they track down how to fix what Zuck has decreed.

Unfortunately, it appears that FB is going more like TikTok (more auto-play videos). Instagram is already a cesspool of that crap. I loved Instagram for the pics, but I'm rarely there any more due to the annoyance.
You would think somebody at FB would realize the things they are having to modify to prevent people from seeing this stuff, means they don't want to see it, and stop trying to figure out ways to force them to see it... Then again, it's obvious they don't care.

Good evening. Made it back for the second day in a row.

Terry - I am going to have to go back in the pages to see what this bag thing is, but you DO NOT seem happy with it. Sounds like you may be talking about shopping bags. I keep them in a car but usually take the wrong car to the grocery store. When my wife left Montana, she left her car which I got up and going again with a used engine. Was thinking of selling it but my daughter might be able to use it.

Troy - It is amazing at how destructive that woodpeckers can be and they will try to return to the same places. Good luck.

TomO - Don't think I would want to navigate those stair with a few drinks under my belt.

Karl - With the heat that has been cooking us across the country, not having A/C can be miserable. Got to 100 here Thursday but the heaqt pump has done a great job keeping it cool inside. I take my girls for a long walk early in the day and just a short squat and squirt during the day. They just about crawl over each other trying to get back inside.

Louis - It is good to be back. I have missed the forum but am still quite sad that my layout had to be torn down after working on it for over 35 years. I haven't been in a Wal Mart in over 15 years and where I live now, there is no Wal Mart. No big box stores here. There are only 3 fast food franchises here, Subway, Pizza Hut and MacDonalds. I would go hungry before getting anything from these places. Have to go 90 miles into Kalispell for any big box stores or other fast food joints. There are a few good restaurants here plus the Cabinet Mountain Brewery that has some good microbrews.
Chet - you are thinking about major fast food franchises - there are a bunch of little guys that serve way better stuff. Pastime Bar has killer burgers and other stuff, BBQ place just up mineral from the Pastime does a land office business doing pizza and there has been a Taco Truck ( Grey Whale ) down near the empty glass company on US2. Brads Burgers and Burger Express have good stuff, as does Rosiata's ( Mexican ) almost across from MickyD's. The Shed, Switchback and Venture all have restaurants, Venture does not have a bar. I am hearing that the old Torgy's is now a sushi and steak place although I don't know if it has opened yet; across from the Mexican place. East on US2 about 10 miles is a small bar and grill of which I do not know if it has been renamed yet - also a RV park. Up Pipe Creek Road me thinks that the Red Dog is open again - burgers, sandwich's and other goodies. Rivers Edge up MT39 does steaks pretty good, usually spring to fall with that one. Scott in the Legion sometimes cooks for everybody and does some good stuff - he used to be short order in previous times - this is donation only and definitely not all of the time.

You will find them when you are out exploring!

As to the Brewery - strange place. It took me 5 or 6 years to even go in the place as it came into existence on somewhat iffy circumstance. City was somehow involved as the owner worked for the City and money sorta appeared. Ya, most think tax payer dollars which did not pass the smell test for a lot of the folks in town. Anyway when I went in I had decided to try one of their local brews. Asked the bartender which was the best amber and they gave me a glass. Don't remember the name. Boy, I sat in pain trying to get it down as it was real crap. I did sit and watch people as that is my fun thing to do. Have no clue where some of the patrons came from; some looked like they were dropped out of a UFO or the like. Strange place!

You are coming up to the Ignitors car show - 2nd week in Aug. Used to be called 'Hot August Nights' until copyright infringment got in the way, now it is 'Ignite the Nights'. Not much last couple of years - The Plague probably although over the years that we have gone they usually have 350 to 500 hot rods lining Mineral. Don't think they can afford the insurance for the street cruise any more so that will be missed.

Having lived here for 20 years I suspect I have some of the local nuances, but when early on here we had an appeal with the council over building the stables I was advised to leave it to the committee and not attend as I was informed my obvious southern accent could go against me.I refrained from attending, and we got our stables.
Jaz- If your accent is anything like how you type, I bet you have most people concentrating on what you say. I have a Southern American accent that becomes "redneck hillbilly" only when I want it to.
Y'all have a good day now, y'hear?

Had to check the Book of Mark’s desire. They have moved my most recent to the top of my posts on the right hand side of the page. There also jimmied the setting pages and the privacy settings while they are there they are in a different arrangement.

On almost every notice of my newsfeed I try to block or see less of. We shall see if they are ignoring those. I feel they have never really looked at my history to see what I like or all my news and notifications would be train orientated. Maybe it’s because they don’t make very much money from train advertisers.

Good Morning, from the comfortable 59F corner of the shop.

Mike - Great news on the Diabetes turn-around. Well done!
Curt - You made me google Blairline! Nice wooden road crossings!
Willie - Sounds like you get so little rain down there; no wonder the tree died. I'm surprised you even have anything that turns green.

I have never heard of Galena, until the discussion took place here in the shop. Then again, I'm betting you never heard of Whitecourt, until you met me in here.
Facebook stinks in my opinion. The only reason I go on there the odd time, is so I can see some of the models posted on the few groups I've joined, or to post photos to my wife's page, when she asks me to. She likes her friends to see what she's up to.

I'm going to post one last photo of the oil dealership, to show that I'm using sand as the base groundcover.
OilDeal_07-29-2022.JPG

May as well use sand; I live on the hill that is pure sand and it's free.
The only items glued down in that photo is that short stretch of sidewalk, the berm, and the sand. I intend to glue down the loading dock and the office stairs today. The buildings will never be glued; the tanks will be glued after I decide if I'm going to paint the backboard.
There's still lots of work to do on the scene, but, I'm satisfied enough that I can move on to something else for the time being. I'm tired of the dealership for now, and want to do something else.

I believe I'll begin building the motel today, starting with the office building:
Motel_07-30-2022 (1).JPG

I've collected all the pieces for that part of the building:
Motel_07-30-2022 (2).JPG

I've said before, that I don't really care for Walther's kits. My initial impression is that they look too toy-like; giving the appearance of being old Life-Like kits. In my opinion, it all drops down to how well a modeller can paint them to make them look acceptable. There is the old saying, a 1/4" of paint will hide anything.
What Walther's has going for it, is a wide variety of excellent subject material in their far ranging line of kits.

For relaxation, I'm still sitting outside in the shade quite a-lot. Still trying to get good photos of the Hummingbirds that brave the north country.
Here's a photo I got the other day. Didn't know hummingbirds liked bean plants until I met up with this little fella:
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird_07-25-2022 (15).JPG

I've ordered another ten 1/87 vehicles from Oxford. I suppose you can expect a photo of all those when they arrive. I'm hoping that will give me enough vehicles to populate my smaller layout.
I'd still like to get some early 60's Ford pick-ups. I already have enough Chevy's, and a couple of Dodge's. No need for Japanese imports, as they weren't common around here in the 60's.

Well, I suppose that's enough yip-yap for one day. Suppose I'll grab the camera and walk the dog. Then I can get on with something that I like to do.
Have a great day!

Good Morning, from the comfortable 59F corner of the shop.

Mike - Great news on the Diabetes turn-around. Well done!
Curt - You made me google Blairline! Nice wooden road crossings!
Willie - Sounds like you get so little rain down there; no wonder the tree died. I'm surprised you even have anything that turns green.

I have never heard of Galena, until the discussion took place here in the shop. Then again, I'm betting you never heard of Whitecourt, until you met me in here.
Facebook stinks in my opinion. The only reason I go on there the odd time, is so I can see some of the models posted on the few groups I've joined, or to post photos to my wife's page, when she asks me to. She likes her friends to see what she's up to.

I'm going to post one last photo of the oil dealership, to show that I'm using sand as the base groundcover.
View attachment 149405

May as well use sand; I live on the hill that is pure sand and it's free.
The only items glued down in that photo is that short stretch of sidewalk, the berm, and the sand. I intend to glue down the loading dock and the office stairs today. The buildings will never be glued; the tanks will be glued after I decide if I'm going to paint the backboard.
There's still lots of work to do on the scene, but, I'm satisfied enough that I can move on to something else for the time being. I'm tired of the dealership for now, and want to do something else.

I believe I'll begin building the motel today, starting with the office building:
View attachment 149406

I've collected all the pieces for that part of the building:
View attachment 149407

I've said before, that I don't really care for Walther's kits. My initial impression is that they look too toy-like; giving the appearance of being old Life-Like kits. In my opinion, it all drops down to how well a modeller can paint them to make them look acceptable. There is the old saying, a 1/4" of paint will hide anything.
What Walther's has going for it, is a wide variety of excellent subject material in their far ranging line of kits.

For relaxation, I'm still sitting outside in the shade quite a-lot. Still trying to get good photos of the Hummingbirds that brave the north country.
Here's a photo I got the other day. Didn't know hummingbirds liked bean plants until I met up with this little fella:
View attachment 149408

I've ordered another ten 1/87 vehicles from Oxford. I suppose you can expect a photo of all those when they arrive. I'm hoping that will give me enough vehicles to populate my smaller layout.
I'd still like to get some early 60's Ford pick-ups. I already have enough Chevy's, and a couple of Dodge's. No need for Japanese imports, as they weren't common around here in the 60's.

Well, I suppose that's enough yip-yap for one day. Suppose I'll grab the camera and walk the dog. Then I can get on with something that I like to do.
Have a great day!
Quick question, well, two really, what adhesive do you use for the sand, and are you using fine gravel (ballast) for the forecourt in your second foto? as I really like the look you've got there.

Quick question, well, two really, what adhesive do you use for the sand, and are you using fine gravel (ballast) for the forecourt in your second foto> as I really like the look you've got there.

Smudge617 - I've glued the sand down with a 60/40 mixture of carpenters glue/water; used a 1" artist's brush to spread the glue over small area's at one time. Like, no more than about 1sq.ft.. The 2nd pic is a photo from the Walther's kit box top. I don't know what the gravel is in the photo.

Thanks for the question.

Hello to the non winners of Troy’s voluntary tax (like me) and to all you sane people. I figure if I can afford travel, food and trains I can hope and the voluntary tax won’t bother me.

Facebook I use to buy and sell trains and follow other posters (so called friends) of model trains. Any thing political posted from a “friend” I delete the friend. I don’t respond, like or dislike the post, they are gone. Pictures and stuff from the family come via text messages. I do watch You Tube videos but have never done, Tick Tack Toe or Instagram and definitely have never gone to the tweetie world of Twitter.

I was texted and then I read about Las Vegas, New Mexico yesterday saying they only have 50 days of available clean water. Water use restrictions added. The wild fires have contaminated the river they get the main supply of water from. The resevoirs are way down to a 50 day supply. I have a true friend who retired there a few years ago. Said last night in a text 15 of his 19 neighbors were watering the grass when he took the dog out for a walk. Sometimes you must wonder why, this is one of those times?

The agenda for today may contain a few Farmers Market in search of fingerly potatoes. A craft show for really no reason that is about 15 miles west of us in the midst of their yearly festival that has been missing the past 2 summers. If we get there early enough it should be fine walk about.

Today‘s NWS forecast says a high of 81 after yesterday’s high of 80. We are inching back to the low 90’s Monday and high 90’s starting Wednesday with no rain in sight.

Terry let me know we are having folks over for hamburgers, brats and hot dogs on the big grill. Steak fries in the fryer! The smaller grill will be handling grilled cheese sandwiches starting at 5 and I need to open the sliding wall to the pool and clean the grills. I don’t have to man the grills as the SIL and his neighbor friends will do that. They are clean but I will double check them. I can split a grilled cheese. I had a great hamburger, no bun but lettuce wrapped instead, out last night with superb onion rings. But with no bun I can handle another burger tonight. The kids, 3 of their neighbor families, my hockey coach friend with his wife, my Endocrinologist with her hubby and their adult kids and family are coming. I asked how I missed this and was told I didn’t miss it, I wasn’t told till this morning. Coach has an endorsement deal with an local ice cream chain of stores and will be bringing the ice cream which is super yummy but off my list for today. I had ice cream out on Thursday.

I was asked to join the horse ride for Sunday morning and tentatively said yes. I told Terry I need to be bribed and was told that is not going to happen! Hey, I tried. She knows I will show up for her!

The grandson stepped in to act as his sister’s buddy at her softball Special Needs game on Thursday. Her official volunteer buddy was on vacation. He just has a way of communication with her that is uncanny. He is very protective of his older sister. Picture with permission from the mom
ED557C88-FC50-42A3-B23D-3C042FC1E4B5.jpeg

enjoy the day

Smudge617 - I've glued the sand down with a 60/40 mixture of carpenters glue/water; used a 1" artist's brush to spread the glue over small area's at one time. Like, no more than about 1sq.ft.. The 2nd pic is a photo from the Walther's kit box top. I don't know what the gravel is in the photo.

Thanks for the question.
Thanks for that, I'm still removing the old glue from some parts of my layout, for some reason it's taking 3 times longer to do than the first bit I did. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back