Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife won't be asking me to move this one!

1658886828898.png

Morning folks ... looking towards 88 today, 87 tomorrow, and 87 Thursday with mostly sunny - all nice temps and low humidity - good for outside activity.

Speaking of that ... I need to help the Spousal Unit dig some holes today for her to plant some flowers that came from the "ranch". These are roughly 2 feet in diameter and 16 inches deep. It is not easy digging in compacted a granite/clay soil, and approaching 80YO the body does not want to dig in the ground anymore! The holes need to be extra large in order to add potting soil and other ingredients so the plants will survive. IMHO she should have done this 10-12 years ago when each of us were in better condition. I thought about hiring a guy off the corner day workers area, buy have to cart him back and forth, feed him lunch, at about $250+ for a day? If she had all the plants "mapped" out - I would do it, but she wants it done one at a time after she "studies" the placement?

Rambled enough - CURT - I am beginning to think we are brothers? Your daily trials and tribulations mirror mine most days!
Later guys.
I think I'd have to add John Paul Jones and John Entwistle. As a jazz guy I also add in Victor Wooten, and John Pattituci...

Squire is my main man though.

Rick Beato is an interesting guy to listen to as he is / was IN the industry. he produced at least one Fleetwood Mac albums and a lot of other groups you need to be a metal guy or whatever to know about.
Tom O- not to worry, the flakes could start flying in just a few months.
Sherril- as long as she doesn’t ask you to dig a 36 x 72 x 72, you’re still in her good graces.
Jeff/Chad- for me, I’d hafta to say Louie Weaver or Duncan Phillips. Keyboard- Eddie DeGarmo, John Lawry or Mark Gersmehl. Bass: Ronny Cates and Lead guitar: Bob Hartman, Dana Key & Mac Powell.
Todd(OTR)- I like your way of thinking. Work smarter, not harder.
Guy- nice fish. Both yours and the Mrs’s.
Louis- when it comes to lead singers, my favs would be John Schlitt, Duane Allen, Josh Turner, Mac Powell & Rick Florian.

Well, howdy there internet peeps. It's Troy again.

Welp... I screwed up. Mom had an Eye Dr. Appointment yesterday. I didn't take her.
In my defense, she told me she had one coming up, but couldn't remember when. We were out to breakfast, so it was on my radar to check when we got back to her apt.

But the tub cut-out guy walked in right behind us, and I forgot to have her track down the day and time. And, due to noise of cutting a steel tub, followed by the odor of fiberglass and epoxy??? we vamoosed. I totally spaced having her look anything up.

Her brain had checked the box of telling me. My brain didn't have any boxes checked. So I missed it.

And, instead of calling me, she just made a reschedule for tomorrow. When my wife has to be at the closing of her mother's house.

We have one car, and live 1.5 hours from my mother. Doing the math means I can't take her. Sis has to take a half day off of work to take her. Sounds like I need to push to compile a list of Docs and Phone #s, and we start posting a shared calendar amongst the kids so we know who is taking mom when.

In other news, the Amish Carpenter Bees have infested our building!

Unlike regular carpenter bees that bore into wooden siding and trim, these carpenters replace wood with faux-wood siding and trim. The new plastic siding is supposed to last 50 years, and the real bees hate it. Which means the woodpeckers will have to go elsewhere to look for bee larvae to snack on.

Amishbees.jpg

Everything in this pic is old siding and wood. Looks like the Amish Carpenter Bees will be to my unit either Thurs or Friday. They're running down the front of the building, wrapping around, then coming along the back side. Wife will have a noisy few days in a week or so. Her office is at the back of the unit, and they'll be tearing off old, and pounding on new for several days while she's working.

Good morning all! 72 heading for 80 and more storms on the way. I can hear the thunder rumbling in the distance.

You guys have been busy posting a lot here since yesterday. I'll admit I didn't look at all the posts since I last visited but I'll look them over later.

Thought my right eye was getting back to normal last night but the bottom lid is swollen and dark again this morning. Guess I'm going to have to make an appointment with the eye doc and see what's going on with it this time.

Buying pizza today for lunch at work. Tomorrow is the last day for my part-time worker. He was a student worker first and after he graduated in the Spring I asked to hire him as a part-time employee for the summer. He's heading off to a 4 year school now. I wanted to thank him for all his hard work, great attitude and willingness to do whatever we needed done, so I'm buying lunch today.

Still have lots of projects going on at work I've gotta try to get finished very soon. Only about 3 weeks till the Fall semester starts.

Hope you all have a great day!

Geez Troy, I would think Dr's offices would pester the heck outa ya to remind ya of upcoming appointment. At least mine does. Every day from two to one week out then twice a day until the appointment.
Hitting the road tomorrow morning. Getting last things done around the house so I can shut it all down in the morning; water heater, well pump, unplug all appliances, make a trash run, mow the lawn, empty the fridge. I'll pack up the bike tonight so I can just head out early tomorrow morning. Got all the riding gear assembled, helmet, gloves, cold wx gear, sun block, tools, fake vomit, weapon and mags, rain suit, windshield cleaner, etc.

Morning all,

Heading to the sale in a bit. Going to see what they have I can't live without. Typically they drop prices on subsequent days, but often there isn't much left. I may head back on Friday to see what may be left at a discount. Surprisingly, no layout pictures, so either it didn't exist or has already been dismantled.

Currently light spotty rain and 75°, headed for 95° later. Based on their current guesses, low 80's for highs over the weekend.

D&J: Have a safe and fun trip.

Troy: If your Amish carpenter bees are like the Mennonite carpenter bees, they do good work.

Well, howdy there, part deux!

Had a brain bubble this morning. I was about to dive into writing on my new Canadian fae mysteries...

And I'm in the basement where the train layout, (soon to be) modeled on my fictional world, is sitting idle.

Let's see, We're going from the UK to So. California in the first two series. Now I'm adding Southern Ontario.

That means I need to get some Canuk style motive power? Anyone want to help edumacate me on what the appropriate early diesel era locos for Ontario area would be?

I mean, I gotta get another Loco, right?

Good morning all,

Woke up to a mild 56° with some fog up here in East central Minnesota. Headed for low 70's.

BIG win last night as I got the old gas tank strap off the 88 Suburban and the new one went on slick as sn_ _ . The one strap actually rusted off and noticed it dragging on the ground. Could have been a real bummer if both rusted off at the same time. I had to buy a breaker bar, deep well socket, and 6" extension, but it saved me a trip to the Auto repair man (Keith's Towing in Hinckley) also the wait.

Guy - beautiful fish! My wife would definitely not go fishing with you after seeing the Grizz.

Ken DJ - wondering about the fake vomit?

Troy - going have to ask Mr. Google about the Canadien diesel.

Music - I am not a big fan of anything, however Wife and I can really belt out a few of the oldies. My transistor radio was so bad it turns out I remember most of the words wrong.

I do still like Niel Young's music, Todd Rundgren, a couple others. I do not have any rock and roll CD's, however have many Blues and American folk anthologies. I listened to the Grateful Dead for many years. Pretty much got tired of listening to albums but will at times enjoy music on Sirius XM.

I ran the Varney around the track several times, hooked up 9 box cars and ran a few laps. Snapped this shot of the caboose:

IMG_2422.JPG

I have installed the small number sign for each section of track, so I can keep track of my power sections.

more later, Dave LASM

Good Morning!
Heading into a heat streak with highs around 85F. It's so hot, we can hardly sleep at night.
The wife is totally Canadianized now, and appreciates the cooler weather over the jungle heat she was born into.

Going to be busy today, so not much of a post for you this morning. I did want to thank you for the many likes I received on the fishing adventures post. It's very much appreciated.

I'll try to have photos for you tomorrow. Have a great day!

Good Morning All. Clear and 84°, supposed to head down to 79° before sunrise. Let's see! Should reach 102°+ again today; heat advisory remains in place. The NWS is teetering again on the chance of rain this weekend, going from two days possible to one.

I got the new umbrella installed yesterday over the poolside. It along with the first one seem to be having the desired effect of shading the water to keep the heat gain down. Each shades about 75 sq ft in the early part of the day up until the trees on the west side take over after 4:00. Resulting pool temperature in the 102° heat is more than 5° lower than it was two weeks ago, currently starting at 84° in the morning and reaching just 88° in the late afternoon. The shorter days and longer nights are also helping. Their wind threshold seems to be about 15 mph.
No veggie processing yesterday since there wouldn't have been enough to make operating the pressure canner efficient.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding my slow project progress; Tom O, Chad, Dave B, Sherrel, James, Hughie, Patrick, Smudge, Louis, Gary, Curt, Guy, Rick, Tom, OB Ken.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did two minor tasks on the layout, I added some roof details to the Smalltown structure.
IMG_1375.JPG

Then I painted a concrete loading pad out back.
IMG_1376.JPG

I cut short my visit there in order to go out to supper at a Mexican joint in memory of my late brother's birthday. He loved Mexican food, so we had to toast. He would have been 60 years old.

Jaz - Most food banks around here are really picky about accepting fresh produce. Some accept limited offerings like bags of apples or potatoes, but not more readily perishable stuff like berries and tomatoes. Those items, like zucchini, are more likely to be accepted by food kitchens that prepare meals daily.
5 pea plants?!?!?!o_O Lucky to get even one serving. All of my tomato varieties are self-pollinating, no need for cross-pollination. I do not save seeds.
Troy - Dumb question here. Why is the steel sheet needed in the bottom of the tote?
Good luck with the foot.
My docs send text messages, E-Mails, and verbal reminders on the land line to the point of being a nuisance. That and it's also synced up on both of our cell phones for reminders. I would bet that her appointments could be texted to you as well if you asked the office staff.
James - That Sagamore at Lake George resort sure looks appealing.
Tom O - Gondola looks mighty good. I'd consider it except CN equipment rarely made it into my Santa Fe locale.
Sherrel - No Huy Fong Sriracha anywhere. They halted production earlier this year due to a shortage of the right peppers.
Ken (D&J) - Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Today is National New Jersey Day. Why???
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from a decently wet So. Central Wisconsin. The 25% of rain overnight did happen and the new gauge (beaker)is hard to read but maybe 1/4”.
C63786EA-C715-4E72-9351-7839A6FFFE3C.jpeg

The 3 computerized marvels of advanced civilization and science, the weather stations are on my workbench being worked on. I want to know why they are reporting intermittently instead of the constant they are supposed to. Yeah I got bored last night and pulled them apart.

The Horse Rescue ride for the organization was a success. The best paid attendance ever at 383 riders. The organization made some good money at $100 per rider. The tent guys called already this morning Terry said and the tent will stay up the balance of the week for sure. They are short staffed. 80’ x 120’ is a big tent with 3 guys for sure to take it down and 5 for the set up. I ended up around 4pm watching 5 kids between 8 and 11 in the pool. I did have 2 teen helpers, the old 16 year old life guard twins were chaperoning the young riding group, they also came to the pool. No other parents or adults (Terry is not sure I always qualify as an adult) but they were good. The surveyor‘s daughter asked if there was a house here her mom and her could rent. She had a great time.

Other then the destruction of the weathering stations on my workbench I accomplished little yesterday. It was so nice out yesterday, I just switched between the south and north decks during the day till the kids came to the pool. I did around noon get 3 tacos from the food trucks at the tent for lunch and some fried cheese curds a bit later around 1:30. The food is donated, 4 trucks, but it is strongly suggested a $1.00 tip per trip to the trucks. The people in the trucks enjoy coming here. Soda is free but water, beer and wine (the female horse owner’s drink of choice) is not. There were 4 rescues yesterday that were auctioned off and sold for a reasonable amount per the Rescue reporter, my wife. I asked if she bid and thankfully said no.

Terry is in paying bills as the American Eagle (social security) has landed in the bank accounts. I did hear about my Pay Pal account balance being too high and she thought the restaurant expenses were kind of high for her being gone the end of June. She hasn’t directed any of her mumbling at me (yet) but her office windows are wide open, she talks to herself and I am on the north deck! I think she believes I am on the south deck.

Troy, I agree with Willie. Mom’s doctors should put you guys on as contacts to be notified of the appointments. My doctors send the text messages, we check in online, they call if we haven’t checked in, it really is great plus my own calendar alerts. As a Boomer I would take the responsibility but the Millennials would say it’s the doctors office fault mom missed an appointment.

Guy, that bear would have had me sh….g in the woods! Great picture of the fish and his dinner you guys took from him!

Dave, I always liked listening to music and Terry and I attended many live concerts over the years. But band members names, not so much other then the headliner.

musicians, best of: there are so many good ones and I don’t follow band members. But there are a few that maybe great but I just couldn’t listen to. Bob Dylan though is truly #1 in my book not to listen to followed by Springsteen and anything by the Rolling Stones. Just me, Terry loves Springsteen

enjoy the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back