Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 68° and sunny. 20% chance of scattered showers this afternoon. 12,000 acres of the South Jersey Pine Barrens are burning. It is about 50% contained.
Amazing how dry conditions are within a week of a 1.5" rain. Rain is forecast from tonight through Thursday night, so it will help.

Not much else going on.

Todd -

I know the feeling! I switched from cases of beer to 18 packs (I buy bottles) recently.

Everybody have a wonderful day.
Ya, ima bottle baby also. Case of Kokanee I can still manage as it has handles!

Also, you wrote something earlier about getting a web site going. If you need help or input shoot me a pm. I have been dealing with web stuff since cira 1990; web, email - the whole can-o-worms.

Morning all,

79° and headed to 99° with feels like to 105+. Not much yet this morning in the little city by the big city. Got the test user working with the 2FA\MFA, now to figure out how to really make it work for everyone else.

Curds and whey...cottage cheese! Why some people feel the need to overanalyze...LOL

Smudge: Love the old Top Gear! Watch the Amazon series Grand Tour. Love the fact the cars in Europe are the best and the American made ones are crap, when it the opposite over here. Wouldn't own a Jag, more likely to break down, never own a Mercedes past it's warrantee period, Renault left for a reason, and the Fiats....(Fix It Again Tony). I do agree with them about the Nissan Juke!!! 🤣
Didn't like the Amazon series, bit too tame, Check out the Toyota Hilux they tried to destroy, now that's a pickup truck. 🤣

@BigGRacing

Glad you're not feeling too badly.

Some random shot of my layout. Still have to ballast the track, but I really like these views
1655815520064.png

1655815540609.png

1655815563368.png

I was going for a rural theme. Not much into industrial scenes.

My elbow was itchy yesterday

Well, howdy there internet people. It's Troy again.

Yep my right elbow.

Normally in the summer when I'm out side, I'd put that down to a bug bite. Spiders tend to get me in the winter, so I keep some peppermint oil in a spray (you can find it on 'Zon, under "ecofriendly bug spray"), and hit my layzboy and other areas with it weekly.

Well, yesterday, I could not find a bug bite. Kept applying the Benadryl lotion to the afflicted area. Still itchy.

This morning, I'm sitting in my patio chaise lounger, and feel a tickle on that elbow. I look down and spied the culprit:

Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 9.03.19 AM.png
Spiked Speedwell according to my plant app.

Depending on where the sun is hitting the patio, I slid the chair back and forth to stay in the shade. Evidently, I got close enough the flowers to let this plant rub the metal arm of the chair, as well as my elbow.

Got the 409 cleaner and some kitchen towel, and wiped the chair down - after scooting it a good foot away from the irritating plant.

Heat dome settling in today... hight of around 97° F precited. Going to enjoy the patio as long as I can this morning, then head into the basement and finish up the cabinets for the bar.

Good Morning, from the north country where it's 50F and looks like it's going to rain.
This is about perfect conditions for me. Not overly hot and the bright sun is hiding behind cloud. It's going to be a good day, except that we've had a mosquito hatch. Must be all that rain leaving the standing water.

I got the wife's pondless waterfall running yesterday. She wanted it going as she was having another gardening friend visit:
Pondless_06-21-2022.JPG

Speaking of the wife, I'm glad she seems to be getting trained in regards to my needs. She was downtown getting groceries, and spied that there was a locomotive in the yard that she thought I might be interested in. So she came back to the house to pick me up.
I was happy for that, as I secured some photos. That train left the area overnight; I heard the whistles.
Some photos:
CN 3928_ES44AC_06-20-2022 (2).JPG

CN 3928_ES44AC_06-20-2022 (3).JPG

CN 3928_ES44AC_06-20-2022 (4).JPG

James - I like the poplar wood accent wall. I've done the same thing in the past on a rental home I owned. A bad renter scribbled on a wall with black marker, and it was easier to do similar to the wall, rather than paint it.

Curt - The coal trestle on you're layout is very cool. I hope to do similar on my layout, except I'll be using a boxcar where two men shovel out the coal into a waiting truck. I saw a b/w photo of the set-up, but, never saved the photo and don't remember where I saw it.

Willie - You need to use the macro setting on the camera to take good photos. I often have my camera on a monopod, as well. It helps steady the camera.

JeffH - Just noticed you're wonderful layout photos you posted, while I was typing. Nice job on the rock and trees. Well done!

I'll be modelling a wee bit today, trying to get two trucks off the bench. I believe I'm screwing up the wheels, and I'm having a hard time getting them right. Ran out of tire black paint, so I'm using an extra dark grey. That's not working out so well for me.
I'll show photos when I'm done.

Have a great day, everyone. It's a beauty!

Good morning from its going to be a hot day in So. Central Wisconsin. I feel like 1/2 the morning is gone already. Woke at 7:15 instead of the normal without an alarm 6AM. Hit the sack at midnight and still thinking, tossing and turning at 2:15. I am waiting for the results 3rd day of testing for Covid. The kit says 15 minutes and we have our results, so the timer says 5:21 left. It’s a different test kit then the last 2 tests I took here at home. Part of the free 8 kits per month from the government via our pharmacy.

Gary, why did you test at work? Hope you get negative again and feel better.

Me, ok third day of Covid negative and I feel good at times and crap others. I am saying 80% good 20% not so good. Very little strength and the stamina is not there.

Why we buy bottled water is beyond me but we do? We have well water and it’s tested monthly because of the stables. 32-16.9oz bottles of the grocery store brand.$1.99 on sale or $3.29 normally. We buy the limit of 5 when on sale. I needed yesterday to 2 hand the carry the cases into the pantry. I finally called yesterday to schedule a genetic test. They need the test to determine if I qualify for a weekly injection for my diabetes control. If I qualify I can drop the gliperzide and reduce the Metformin. Some cancer survivors don’t qualify. Papillary cancer qualifies but they have to be 100% sure I don’t have other cancer gene types. I have put this off for at least a year for lots of stupid reasons but… They won’t take me until 3 weeks after my 1st negative Covid test and that was Sunday the 19th. I also tried to have my radiation treatment scheduled that was cancelled because of the Covid positive. That has to wait and it sounded like they will call me. I have a call in to my doctor to see what she can do.

78f degrees now and in the shade of the deck and with a good breeze it feels damn nice out here. High later is 95 and the humidity should be high. That will run me into the pool and later the train room. Yesterday I cleaned the floor in the trainroom and put down 64square feet of 24” rubber tiles. This stuff feels ok on the feet it is 1/2” and feels much softer but more solid then the 3/8” thick section I have had for about 3 months. The 3/8” doesn’t feel right under the feet. Hard to explain but I think it one of those you will know it when you feel it. I am still looking. I did toss the carpet that has been in there.

Had what I would have classified as a good friend call yesterday. Turns out he was just a work friend as when I retired he wouldn’t return my calls or texts. He retired at 52, 2 years after I retired in 2014 and just vanished. Turns out he purchased property in Montana on a trout stream, his passion, after his wife. Before I retired he had a plan for a business and we decided to go in together. He held 19% and I had 51% with the other 30% to be split to the 2 main sales people when the time was needed. We started it and it floundered finding its way and then he just vanished. But, one of the Sales ladies caught fire and after 3 years we had a small profit. Gave her 15% of the stock. Long story short my “friend” calls yesterday and asks if he and the wife can come by for a 3 day visit while he looks for a job in the area. Turns out he lost everything to a Ponzi scheme out West and it was created by their son. Told him that he didn’t lose everything and I would explain it totally when they get here. He has a nice chunk of change and more coming as the Sales lady became the Sales Director, then the Managing Partner. I am in negotiations for her to buy the balance of the stock for some very nice money. During the Covid shutdown the business exploded and is still growing even as offices are calling back their employees from their home set ups.

Have a great day

I have been reading about the unfortunate family relationships here lately. I guess that I consider myself both lucky and proud of the way my wife and I raised our kids. Daughter #1 is 44, #2 is 42 and son is 39. Sure life wasn't always great, daughters didn't like sharing a bedroom when growing up, but then shared a one bedroom apartment for a while later in life. They all got hand me down cars at 15 years old, prior to being eligible for full driver's licenses. Didn't particularly matter out here in the country as many of their friends were driving earlier without permits. None of them appreciated living in the very rural countryside and all have left it for the big city atmosphere. To this day though, they all love my vegetables better than grocery store ones! However after the fact, all appreciate their upbringing. I paid for all of their college degrees, two bachelor's and one master's degree, and they all left home on good terms without any arrests or outlandish tattoos! No debt forgiveness here. Yes my son and my wife didn't speak to each other for two years around 2016 due to differing political views, but he still spoke with me and has since made up without any encouragement from me. In addition, all have done well and none have moved back home! :)

I have a stepdaughter who I'm pretty sure was coached by her father to outright ignore me.
He had left for his office secretary back in the late 70s but still had visitation rights.
Trying to raise her along with my two children from my previous marriage was very tough. She would do nothing that I asked of her unless it was filtered through her mother. Teenage years was even tougher. She hasn't spoken to me since my last wife's funeral in 2010. On top of that, my son had serious attention deficit and hyperactivity issues along with bi-polar conduct disorder. He's 46 now and has spent about 90% of his adult life behind bars for mostly dui and driving without a license. He blames his current life issues of alcoholism and behavior on me for how I raised him. Carolyn and I were never able to take an actual vacation during his childhood. All our leave time was spent on him with lockdown visitations, child counselor visitation and whatever else needed to be done to deal with his problems. Close to a million $ of military health benefits had been paid out for his issues and I came close to being discharged from the Corps before my retirement date due to his activity. He fathered a child through a street tramp back in 2011. My son was back in jail by the time the child was born. The mother was on drugs and alcohol and bounced the child around several households while she was on her binges. My daughter ended up taking the boy in at 6 months old raised him for the next 9 years. He had the same issues his father (my son) had but much worse and violent. He was eventually absorbed into the Virginia Foster care program a few years ago and hasn't been seen since.
So, problems with children, yeah, I've been through all that then lost my last two wives to cancer and heart attack as well. My first wife is on her 5th or 6th marriage and still thinks I'm the most evil person on the face of the earth.

Willie, inside cameras are to keep an eye on the beagles. Tucker suffers with seizures. My daughter in law is 5 minutes away. The vet tells me it is a physical condition. But a strong hug makes the seizure milder and shorter.

Baltimore is a high crime area and I do have outside cameras, but it does not stop me from keeping my windows open when the weather is nice.
Baltimore can be a dangerous place, but I still have a dangerous attitude. In my home I will have home field advantage. For the record I don't own a gun.

Good morning again.

I have something going on in my right shoulder. My daughters, who are PAs, think it's impingement. It's getting worse over time, and started to bother me a few weeks ago when I was lifting something and felt a PINCH that was very localized to the area I would think the bicep tendons are.

The pain comes and goes, and seems to either appear or disappear based on how I move my arm. When it hurts, it's a burn that gets worse when I let my arm hang by my side, but when I point my arm to the sky, the pain subsides, only to return when I lower it. Eventually, I get the arm to move the right way, I feel a little click at the spot, then tea pain is gone until I move the wrong way again.

Anyone have or had anything like that? I'm hoping I just aggravated something, but I'm also reading online that impingement can get a lot worse over time if not treated. Perhaps I just need to go see an Ortho Dr.

Good morning everyone!

According to my updates of all my tracking numbers I will have a lot of the cement hoppers and grain hoppers in today. I did post a few of them on RPO a few days ago but not all of them. In total I will have 12 grain type hoppers in Union Pacific with fallen flags mixed in there from the special edition by Intermountain Railway Company. 4 sets of 4 with 3 cars per set making 12. This is some deal with Pacific Western Rail Systems and Intermountain with UP license usage etc. These are all Pullman Standard PS-2 4750 CU FT covered hoppers. I can't wait to get my hands on them today. I think they are pretty good quality for the money. These were posted in RPO but only in their boxes.

I also have 3 ACF 2970 CU FT 2-Bay Covered hopper set coming as well. These are also by Pacific Western Rail Systems and Intermountain with UP license usage etc. but this set is set #3 of 4....... I will be looking to get the other 3 sets. That will be a tough find for sure. This set are all MP fallen flags with UP shields etc.

I picked up (2) Walthers Mainline "C&NW" 37' 2980 CU FT 2-bay covered hoppers in different road numbers. These are CNW yellow which I never had. I have a few green ones and grey ones but no yellow. Great price on these and passable detail quality. A little weathering will be in order for these. I will post these on RPO when they come in today. I got these at 20 bucks a pop I think it was a fair price I do not know as I do not have many of the Walthers Mainline cars.

Then my last hopper I got an Atlas PS-2, 2003 CU FT 2-bay Covered Hopper "Cotton Belt" this one will definitely be weathered.

Ya so that is 18 covered hoppers lol that will be enough for my stable with the ones I already acquired. Of course if I can find those other 3 sets.....

So at home the remodeling is on going. Tonight mowing and weed wacking. Later cleaning the room I just finished the accent wall with. Tomorrow night more ripping of carpet up through the hallway and family room. The other two bedrooms are done. Later either Friday or Saturday I will rip up bedroom 4 the guest bedroom too. I have my sister coming on Friday but she will be staying at the lake house for the duration of her stay. My buddy, who I went to see in Alabama, he and my Godson are coming up next Friday and they will stay with me. I will have the guest room done by then.

Staying busy. This is the first summer in a long long time I have not gone fishing every weekend during the summer months lol. But when my buddy gets here we will be going so there is that!

Ya'll have a good day! I will check in later on.

Last edited:
Good morning again.

I have something going on in my right shoulder. My daughters, who are PAs, think it's impingement. It's getting worse over time, and started to bother me a few weeks ago when I was lifting something and felt a PINCH that was very localized to the area I would think the bicep tendons are.

The pain comes and goes, and seems to either appear or disappear based on how I move my arm. When it hurts, it's a burn that gets worse when I let my arm hang by my side, but when I point my arm to the sky, the pain subsides, only to return when I lower it. Eventually, I get the arm to move the right way, I feel a little click at the spot, then tea pain is gone until I move the wrong way again.

Anyone have or had anything like that? I'm hoping I just aggravated something, but I'm also reading online that impingement can get a lot worse over time if not treated. Perhaps I just need to go see an Ortho Dr.
Ya, try a chiropractor as you could have tweaked some vertebra in your back. Cheap insurance and we would not live without one. In fact, we go to the chiro *before* seeing our Doc - well unless blood is involved.

Good morning again.

Go see the Dr, nothing worse than having a injury and not having a professional look at it, probably nothing, could be something, get it checked.

Smudge: As I recall, they really tried to kill that thing. Too bad Toyota's replacement for the Hilux (at least in the states) isn't as tough.

JeffH: I have a bulging disc in my neck (between C6 and C7) that does the same thing. And no a chiropractor didn't help (actually made it worse in my case). Finally have it calmed down a bit with physical therapy. I think the initial injury happened while I was sleeping trying to protect the right hand from carpal tunnel issues in my sleep. It doesn't take much for a disc to bulge and sometimes gets some better.

Last edited:
Usually a range of motion issue in the shoulder, impingement is the go to diagnosis. I don't think it's a fatal condition. One thing you can try which will point more to the impingement likely hood is put you hand with thumb pointing up of the sore shoulder behind your back and try to touch your thumb to your spine. Pain means shoulder socket problem. You'll get referral to physical therapy and they will put you through stretching exercises then give you Therabands to take home to do more. Usually they end up hanging from a doorknob, unused till ya through them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back