Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon from the So. Central Wisconsin sun decks. Just a very nice bright weather day.

Culvers, as I wrote before is fine. But, I won’t drive out of my way to one for a hamburger. Plus they are all over Wisconsin so there is no need. Comparisons I believe we did recently this year but Culver’s hamburgers to me are very similar to the In and Out Burgers so familiar to California and those in the Southwest USA.

I still believe of the national or regional chains, Mooya is #1 followed by 5 Guys but both beaten probably by many local brew pubs and eateries. I will though go out of my way for fresh White Castle sliders as that is what I grew up on.

Always good to go to a place that uses never frozen meat. McDonalds, BK and Wendy’s cannot say that

Food, especially hamburgers are like music very subjective but rarely anything wrong with any style.

Now, I could use some recommendations on French Fries
28527292-7A00-42CA-ABFC-1DF6CBD14E2B.jpeg

Man you yanks (I hope that term is not offensive) really do DEEP dish, meatballs sauce and wads of cheese…drools
Jaz, You can start a war over pizza. I love Chicago deep dish pizza and a old favorite and still is from Pizzeria UNO On Ohio Street downtown. Then afterwards a trip up to the sky deck of the then Hancock Building, later known as the Willis Tower and no clue what today‘s name of the building is. Always a great date night adventure before I met my wife. Good dates and visits still now but only with family and friends

Thin crust, best I ever have had is in Racine, Wi. Nona Wells on 4Mile on the northside of town. I have had pizza all over the world, that one IMO is the best. Been buying there since school in the 1970’s.

New York pizza is ok, Texas pizzas in Austin, Houston, Fort Worth and Dallas are not worthy of the name. California and Arizona pizza has lost their way and Florida is mixed up on what they are trying to create. Pizza in Portland, Oregon is good, Rome,Italy is very good but super expensive. Washington DC and Londoners have no clue what a good pizza is (sorry Jaz). Chicago, thin crust is good overall but much of it is mediocore so it depends where you get it from.

Made myself hungry

Jaz, You can start a war over pizza. I love Chicago deep dish pizza and a old favorite and still is from Pizzeria UNO On Ohio Street downtown. Then afterwards a trip up to the sky deck of the then Hancock Building, later known as the Willis Tower and no clue what today‘s name of the building is. Always a great date night adventure before I met my wife. Good dates and visits still now but only with family and friends

Thin crust, best I ever have had is in Racine, Wi. Nona Wells on 4Mile on the northside of town. I have had pizza all over the world, that one IMO is the best. Been buying there since school in the 1970’s.

New York pizza is ok, Texas pizzas in Austin, Houston, Fort Worth and Dallas are not worthy of the name. California and Arizona pizza has lost their way and Florida is mixed up on what they are trying to create. Pizza in Portland, Oregon is good, Rome,Italy is very good but super expensive. Washington DC and Londoners have no clue what a good pizza is (sorry Jaz). Chicago, thin crust is good overall but much of it is mediocore so it depends where you get it from.

Made myself hungry
Looking at that picture I agree with Londoners do not get pizza, I was in Rome and they said pizza is not Italian, but American and sone won’t make it. But I had some super food there.

Looking at that picture I agree with Londoners do not get pizza, I was in Rome and they said pizza is not Italian, but American and sone won’t make it. But I had some super food there.
Oh my aunt married a gi after the ww2 and he was an Italian New Yorker, she does what I thought was a good pizza but she does sone excellent Italian meals I like veal with masala wine delicious

Don't know about your cheese whatchamacallits - rather have cornbread hushpuppies made with onions and jalapenos and a dish of that cheese sauce for dipping.

The wife brought home some very good fries a few days back (now I cannot remember where they came from. Wendy's and In and Out once had delicious fries, but went to the string type such as MDC (which I do not like)

Love the tenders from Raisin Kanies - do they have string cut fries, or the larger kind?

Beautiful day around here -- 83 degrees and clear as can be with very slight breeze!

Looking at that picture I agree with Londoners do not get pizza, I was in Rome and they said pizza is not Italian, but American and sone won’t make it.
Pizza is basically taking all the leftovers, and tossing them on flat bread dough, and baking it.
Americans at some point decided to make it their own, and called it "Italian". Kind of like "Chinese" and "Japanese" food. Pretty much the same thing as calling Taco Bell "Mexican".

Since the whole burger topic has popped up, my best purchase as far as food goes, is buying an outdoor propane griddle. I'm 58 yrs old and really wish I had one of these at least 38 yrs ago. Smash burgers are off the hook. Making breakfast for a whole crew at the dragstrip is a piece of cake. Once I got the griddle, lots of burger joints were written off!!!

Man you yanks (I hope that term is not offensive) really do DEEP dish, meatballs sauce and wads of cheese…drools
Gotta go to Brooklyn or Jersey for the real thing...
Jaz- TomO, Greg(who I had the privilege to meet on Saturday), Espee & I all live in Wisconsin, which is called the Dairy State. The dairy industry(& agriculture in general) is a vital lifeblood of our state’s economy.
Joe- just like you’ve got to go to Philly or South Jersey for an authentic hoagie or cheesesteak. SWMBO had her first real cheesesteak on our honeymoon, at the Reading Terminal Market in Center City. She also got to see Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the Constitution Center & the U.S. Mint that day.

Afternoon All,

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

Steve- I have seen pictures of single and multiple RS's hauling box cars and passenger consists (Pennsy RS's). I saw the bowser RS3 in the LHS last week and it does look very nice. The outdoor services sound fun but around here the humidity would be miserable. It's a shame about your boys.

Thanks, Curt. I do appreciate that. And thanks for the info on the RS-3 - - I just may have to pull the trigger there. I have one Bowser DS 4-4-1000 I bought new when first getting interested in ModRR about 20 months ago. It was DC and I put a 9 pin Digitrax decoder in it. Great runner! Smooth and quiet. No sound, but a solid performer. Can Pac colors, so not too foreign for my Upper Midwest fantasy line.

I hope your day was nice indeed.

1. Can you afford your bills, food,heating,travelling fuel,etc
2 have you spare for imminent birthdays - others not yours
3. Can you honestly spare the cash
4. Does the loco fit with your existing layout parameters
5. Can you afford silly money
6 will the wife bitch slap you
7 hell will she bitch slap the loco!
do you have enough cash to buy her something as well so she does not bitch slap the loco
8 I think you see my thought process……..
Ever the prophet, Jaz - - Lessee, in order: yes; eh; eh; YES; I've done worse; No, but she is well versed in surgical procedures; doubtful, but refer to previous; hmmm ........ she did have that $500 spa day recently .....; scarily, yes!

Made myself hungry

Egads - - when we moved to St. Louis, we were told they had the best pizza EVER!! Didn't take long before we ordered one complete with Provel cheese or something like that. 'Twas truly horrible - teenagers would not eat it. Must have been a one-off, we thinks. Try again - - nope, truly is that bad. Horrid, inedibly gross and I ain't talking in the Big sense. DO not order pizza in St. Louis unless you know for sure it is some other style. Four years we lived there and almost lost the taste for the pie. Only thing that kept us in the mix (and relatively sane) is wifeykins is quite the fair hand at making homemade pizza.

Good Morning All. It's clear and 74° in this neighborhood. Upper 90's to lower 100's for the next ten days, still no rain in sight. Really low humidity levels except early in the morning. Grass is still growing even though no rain since June 1. Same forecast until mid-September.

Besides the usual Sunday of Mass, laundry and pool maintenance, I used the weedeater for about 40 minutes. Today I will be here all morning and I will mow some of the yard. Front yard gets mowed on the diagonal route this week. Let's see if I can get the first row without veering off one side or the other.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the weathered freight cars yesterday; Smudge, Tom O, Patrick, Rick, Guy, Steve J, OB Ken, Gary, Hughie, Karl, Jaz, Louis, Sherrel, Tom, Mikey, Joe.

As usual on Sundays, I spent very little time out in the train shed yesterday. While there, I test ran a couple of locos that are on the unused shelf. I confirmed that they should remain there. At least this time I wrote down why they are there! Maybe some day in the next ten years when I finish the layout and weather the rest of the fleet, I might upgrade some of them. In the meantime, I'll go back into the archives for a few photos.
These are of a freight train waiting on the siding in Gainesville for an intermodal train to pass northbound heading for Oklahoma City (off layout). The train is being led by a pair of Athearn RTR SD40-2's
04-03-20 005.JPG

04-03-20 006.JPG

04-03-20 007.JPG

04-03-20 008.JPG
04-03-20 009.JPG
04-03-20 010.JPG
04-03-20 011.JPG

Guy - Sorry to read of your experience with the first wife. Getting out of that relationship was obviously good for you.
Tom O - I can't give any recommendation of fries since I don't eat at many fast food establishments. I recommend homemade oven fries.

Today is the last day of Spring here in US. Enjoy it before the heat of summer is upon us.
Everybody have a great day, Stay cool and safe.

Good morning all!
46F in Libby and partly
Got home yesterday bout 1500. Went through the stack of mail and all of the stuff we bought while out; Amazon, eBay and others. Everything was good except: I ordered 8 sticks of 16g dual rank x 4 PC3 12800r for the gen8 DL360 servers I had purchased from eBay. Package was delivered on the 9th. Did not find a small package that would fit ram, and when we were done opening stuff, there was one package left - box about 6x8x12 and figured that Amazon had run out of little boxes ... again. Low and behold upon opening it was a 'Cattle Siren' what ever that is. We do not have cattle! Tracking on the package is the same as the tracking for the RAM, so will bring it all up with Amazon. Hate to think that ima out $170. Maria says they will take care of it - time will tell.
Will post in RPO the 2 items I got from eBay a little later; SW1500 in Santa Fe blue one cow, one calf both powered.
Later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back