Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Happy Father's Day. Here it is clear (no haze today) and 74°. Should be a repeat of yesterday's weather, high around 95°, and like yesterday, no wind to cool things a bit. Plenty of thunder and lightning last night around midnight, but sadly no rain at all.

Father's Day dinner last night at the local Italian "Ristorante" went well. Food was delicious as always. Wife and I go there regularly and all of my kids, SIL's and grandkids except one SIL have been there before. That SIL was impressed and will most likely return. He also picked up the tab for all nine of us. For once, we attended a gathering where we had the shortest drive home, just 12 miles!!! Granddaughter and her family came to the house beforehand and she was thrilled to pick tomatoes in the garden.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding the food and weathering yesterday; Gary, Karl, Guy, OB Ken, Troy, Smudge, Tom O, Louis, Curt, Patrick, Rick, Tom, Jaz. See below for better pictures of the hopper.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I retook a couple of pictures of the newly weathered covered hopper in better light.
IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

I then took out a Walther's PS-2, 4427 cu ft covered hopper that I had re-numbered. You can see that the second "8" does not quite match.
IMG_1128.JPG

I need to clean that smudge off the camera lens!
Again, I am going for the lightly weathered look and on this car, I only used four shades of weathering powders and no paint or graffiti.
IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

The weathering does somewhat obscure the fact that the re-number is larger and brighter than the original car.

Guy - Wives and bathroom doors. Mine is picky. Gotta close them even when there's no one else in the house!
Curt - Package tracking sure shows some of the shortcomings of the delivery services. I don't much get DHL here. Amazon, Fedex and UPS know how to find me, although it sometimes takes a while.
I still buy locos knowing that I have more than I need.
Jaz - I can't dance at all, not even after a six pack of beer! Sad, because I am short and when a short man dances with a tall gal, he gets a bust in the mouth.
Steve J - As Terry posted, RS-3's (Road Switcher) were mainly used on the main lines until displaced by higher hp units. Then they were used on secondary lines.
Smudge - The bus racing video was absolutely great! Which one were you driving?

Random thoughts:
Never heard of a Culvers until it was brought up here. I found some in the Dallas area, but that's too far to drive for cheese curds! I probably make a better burger here at home.
Gasoline yesterday at the little country store near me dropped from $4.79/gal to $4.59/gal since I passed by Thursday. Maybe Hunter B. was out here buying votes!
After years of dogs, cats, chickens, pigs, ducks, geese and kids; we made the choice to live dependent-free a few years ago. I do still take care of either/both of the granddogs occasionally though.

Everybody have a great day.

Got the laundry caught up, backyard mowed (not weed whacked), and the weeks groceries. Typical Sunday morning for me. Not much else going on yet except for planning the Route 66 trip.

One historical piece that's never really been told, that for all the displaced farmers and workers that used the road to head west in the 1930's, California's census numbers indicated that they didn't stay in California. Promised land wasn't as promised.

Good morning all and Happy Father's Day to whom it applies. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day here before the heat starts creeping back up on us starting tomorrow. Supposed to be back to triple digit heat and/or heat index in a couple days.

No big plans for the day. May grill out some burgers late since it's so nice out. Hope you all have a great day!

Good Morning, all! Happy Father's Day to all as well, except you Jaz. It is going to be another hot day. Some of the guessers are predicting 102, 103 and 105 by week's end. The Saharan dust has thinned out for now, but another round is forecasted.
How the hell did I get 5pages back in just 14 hours?

I had never heard of Culvers till you guys mentioned it here. After checking, there is one northeast of Houston. It would mean a 75 mile one way trip. Not sure their burgers are that good.

I have always had a dog. I find rescue dogs to be the best, usually mutts. It is a great feeling when your dog jumps up in the chair with you and snuggles in beside you.

I remember double decker buses in New York City. I recall getting off, followed by my mom, who was carrying my sister. The operator closed the door before mom cleared the door, catching her foot.

I did a little switching yesterday. It is nice when everything works right.

1655658109555.png

1655659386482.png

STAY SAFE

LATER

Last edited:
Must be fathers' day... I got a text from the daughter. She lives 2 hours south and we'd end up paying her gas for the trip if she came to see us. So the text was nice.

So, wife took me out to Giordano's Pizza for some deep dish...

Here you go... grab a slice before Mel confiscates it for "research"
eat pizza.jpg

Also had some of their cheesy garlic bread (pizzas take 45 minutes - gotta have something to pass the time)
garlicBd.jpg

Afternoon All,

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the father's out there. I started out in the train room with a little ballast patching then put down the "water" but discovered later that it had cracked (poured thin and used approved coloring agent). :mad: I'll have to look at it in the morning, but I'll most likely be covering it up. SMH. That's 2 fails. I also glued down the grass patches. Tomorrow I'll weather them and should finish the coal yard scene.

Karl- We have them in FL also.

Troy- Nice progress on the layout.

Steve- I have seen pictures of single and multiple RS's hauling box cars and passenger consists (Pennsy RS's). I saw the bowser RS3 in the LHS last week and it does look very nice. The outdoor services sound fun but around here the humidity would be miserable. It's a shame about your boys.

Smudge- Your bus was in the wrong lane!:D

Gary- Interesting photo. Is the ship by chance a torpedo recovery vessel?

TomO- I've never had cheese curds fried or otherwise.

Guy- Wether the kids remember or not you did the right thing even when it wasn't easy.

Dave- Very nice job.

I hope everyone has a good night.

While I was sorting through some pictures, I came across this interesting one that I took in 2009. An abandoned house about a half mile up the road from me. Something for a much more advanced modeler to scratchbuild. Back in the 80's it was still used to store hay when it still came in small rectangular bales.
01-08-09 023.JPG

It's being held up by that tree visible on the left. About five years later, the land owner donated it to the nearby "Ridin' For the Brand Cowboy Church" who used the wood in their sanctuary.
1655666396986.png

I had never heard of Culvers till you guys mentioned it here. After checking, there is one northeast of Houston. It would mean a 75 mile one way trip. Not sure their burgers are that good.

The burgers are good, but I agree, not worth a long trip for. I have one within 125 miles one way, but won't go for the long trip one way either.
I'd drive a couple miles out of the way.

* * * * * H E L P ! ! ! ! * * * * * I N T E R V E N T I O N ! ! ! ! * * * * * I N T E R V E N T I O N ! ! ! ! * * * * *

I really, REALLY do not need the new Bowser RS-3 in MILW colors - - - - - DCC - - - - with LOKSound - - -

I do not need the loco

I do not need the loco

I do not need the loco

I do not need the loco

Help me friends, I'm wavering. Feeling feint.

Where's ....... my ......... credit-ca...... NO. Be Strong!

Aaaaaaaaaaahh
1. Can you afford your bills, food,heating,travelling fuel,etc
2 have you spare for imminent birthdays - others not yours
3. Can you honestly spare the cash
4. Does the loco fit with your existing layout parameters
5. Can you afford silly money
6 will the wife bitch slap you
7 hell will she bitch slap the loco!
do you have enough cash to buy her something as well so she does not bitch slap the loco
8 I think you see my thought process……..

That was understoo
Good Morning!
The sun's out, which is nice. It needs to do it's job, and warm this place up. Only 49F at 6:45am.

The wife went to work today, and I'll try to get some modelling in and cut the lawn. I don't want to spend too much time in the forest with the dog, because the G-kids might come over, considering it's Fathers Day. We'll see if my son's remember where they came from, or not.

I'll make a confession today. 25 years ago, I divorced my children's mother due to major issues. Mainly, because my ex-wife discovered cocaine and became a crackhead. I won custody of all 3 of her children; those being my own son, and two children from unknown fathers.
For a long time, I was a single parent. I know all about the trials and difficulties that single parents endure.
My current wife was a mail-order from Asia. She was living in grass-shack poverty, and needed me as much as I needed her. We're still together, 20yrs later.
Anyway, every Father's Day, I wonder if those children I tried so hard to help, remember the pains I went through. It's not obvious to me all the time that they do. A visit on this day would be nice, though.

Moving onto the bus discussion, I happen to really like those British double decker's. I would like to ride one; suppose that would make me look like a tourist if I did.
We are only a small western town, but, we do have a transit bus running around. It's route takes exactly 1 hour to take me downtown, and then back home. It's a very pleasant ride, when I just feel like relaxing. If I do my downtown business within 1.5hrs, then the whole ride only cost's $3.00.
I think that's cheaper than driving the pick-up at today's gas prices. My calculations show that gas is around $6.77US/gal today.
Here's a photo of Whitecourt Transit going right by my neighbourhood:
View attachment 147564

SteveJ - I find that difficult to believe. You would of had to be monsters, for the word 'hate' to be brought into the picture. Perhaps, they are just trying to find their own way.

Well, I'd better get that mutt walked, just in-case I have visitors coming over. Have a great day!!
I think it brave to ‘order a bride’ and I think it lovely you lasted so long, I am fairly certain you have shown picture-s of her in the past and she does look a keeper, and I think it excellent that she was rescued from poverty, so few people stick together I sympathise with your removal from a bad situation with the first - total lose lose - and admire you not only taking yours but hers as well giving them an undoubted better life, and let me tell you even your own blood (as in mine) are slackers when it comes to showing gratitude for a safe happy upbringing, I think having one gives them a sense it is normal, and do not realise for far too many it is not. schooling does not teach kids to honour their parents, my brother and I from an older generation did loads, my mum and dad always got cards, pressies, and kisses and knew their kids realised they were damn lucky, and though they are both gone when we chat often we reiterate, damn we were lucky.
You and your wife clearly gave the little xxxxxers a good life, and the impression is you both look out for each other as well as them, in todays world having a partner for so long with a decent relationship, I think you are in the winning circle, when you read this go kiss your wife and point out to her how lucky you are to have found her, and be very grateful for your lot, I hope you both have good health and a lot longer to enjoy, perhaps grandkids might turn out better…..just don’t hold your breath.

Good Morning All. Happy Father's Day. Here it is clear (no haze today) and 74°. Should be a repeat of yesterday's weather, high around 95°, and like yesterday, no wind to cool things a bit. Plenty of thunder and lightning last night around midnight, but sadly no rain at all.

Father's Day dinner last night at the local Italian "Ristorante" went well. Food was delicious as always. Wife and I go there regularly and all of my kids, SIL's and grandkids except one SIL have been there before. That SIL was impressed and will most likely return. He also picked up the tab for all nine of us. For once, we attended a gathering where we had the shortest drive home, just 12 miles!!! Granddaughter and her family came to the house beforehand and she was thrilled to pick tomatoes in the garden.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding the food and weathering yesterday; Gary, Karl, Guy, OB Ken, Troy, Smudge, Tom O, Louis, Curt, Patrick, Rick, Tom, Jaz. See below for better pictures of the hopper.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I retook a couple of pictures of the newly weathered covered hopper in better light.
View attachment 147570
View attachment 147571
I then took out a Walther's PS-2, 4427 cu ft covered hopper that I had re-numbered. You can see that the second "8" does not quite match.
View attachment 147572
I need to clean that smudge off the camera lens!
Again, I am going for the lightly weathered look and on this car, I only used four shades of weathering powders and no paint or graffiti.
View attachment 147573
View attachment 147574
View attachment 147575
The weathering does somewhat obscure the fact that the re-number is larger and brighter than the original car.

Guy - Wives and bathroom doors. Mine is picky. Gotta close them even when there's no one else in the house!
Curt - Package tracking sure shows some of the shortcomings of the delivery services. I don't much get DHL here. Amazon, Fedex and UPS know how to find me, although it sometimes takes a while.
I still buy locos knowing that I have more than I need.
Jaz - I can't dance at all, not even after a six pack of beer! Sad, because I am short and when a short man dances with a tall gal, he gets a bust in the mouth.
Steve J - As Terry posted, RS-3's (Road Switcher) were mainly used on the main lines until displaced by higher hp units. Then they were used on secondary lines.
Smudge - The bus racing video was absolutely great! Which one were you driving?

Random thoughts:
Never heard of a Culvers until it was brought up here. I found some in the Dallas area, but that's too far to drive for cheese curds! I probably make a better burger here at home.
Gasoline yesterday at the little country store near me dropped from $4.79/gal to $4.59/gal since I passed by Thursday. Maybe Hunter B. was out here buying votes!
After years of dogs, cats, chickens, pigs, ducks, geese and kids; we made the choice to live dependent-free a few years ago. I do still take care of either/both of the granddogs occasionally though.

Everybody have a great day.
Superb graffitti

Must be fathers' day... I got a text from the daughter. She lives 2 hours south and we'd end up paying her gas for the trip if she came to see us. So the text was nice.

So, wife took me out to Giordano's Pizza for some deep dish...

Here you go... grab a slice before Mel confiscates it for "research"
View attachment 147579
Also had some of their cheesy garlic bread (pizzas take 45 minutes - gotta have something to pass the time)
View attachment 147580
Man you yanks (I hope that term is not offensive) really do DEEP dish, meatballs sauce and wads of cheese…drools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back