Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in, what part of the UK? that would be the middle bit.🤣
Is that like "The Midlands", or the middle of the top bit, the middle of the bottom bit? Or you could be like me and have a Mother born in the bottom of the bottom bit (Plymouth, Devon) a Father born in the top of the top bit (Newcastle, Northumberland). I was born in Auckland NZ and now live in Nth Brisbane, Queensland, Australia ( the middle of the Eastern bit) Temperature today is 15C and supposedly Sunny. Time of writing is 11:33 AM (GMT+10)

Went to work today, just to find out I was terminated. I had another fall yesterday, so I missed work to go to the ER. My boss told me that if the ER doctor had put me out for 3 days(yesterday, today & tomorrow), they would not have been able to count it against me. It was just one too many absences(even though they were all health-related, I didn’t have Dr notes for a bunch of them). Already started applying for unemployment, disability & a few call center type jobs. Going to call ODC(Opportunity Development Center) & 401K administrator(about how long I have to cash out or transfer my 401K- not a huge chunk of change in it- less than $8K, just so I know what my options are) on Monday.
Looks like the train room is in a holding pattern until I find another job or get approved for disability.
Omg I really sympathise my younger son gets hits like this on a similar basis, his ears become infected easily, and missing work regularly is a serious issue,plus the ears mean he can miss his alarm,and his body gets used to the vibrating ones, so sorry.

As in, what part of the UK? that would be the middle bit.🤣
He means the Midlands, this cuts from west to east, I always think the term a bit vague, but I suppose this Is England only,look at North Wales then as you ‘hit’ England there is a swathe to the right until you hit the coast near the bump on the right.It cuts through different counties so for instance south Lincolnshire is included whilst north Lincolnshire most definitely is not.
the term is often used as a political area for voting, where people certainly do not see them self as being either from the south or the north,and the line is somewhat vague.
As he does not mention the coast I assume he is more in the middle of this horizontal line, especially as this is reasonably ‘inland’ for the UK and England where temperatures are less prone to extremes.
Now as someobe who also technically lives in the midlands, you can see this is pretty vague as even I cannot make much of his geographical position :D. I am closer to the east coast but have not seen a beach in a long time, some years, I am based in what is often described as the Fens,low lying land vulnerable to rising sea levels, so hope that the greenhouse effect will not cause any major rises or I might need swimming lessons despite the fact I am a good distance from the coast line. as reclaimed land, reclaimed from the water,much of this area is on silt with a clay base and is excellent farm land,our home is in fact an ex farm,albeit a small holding.
So now you can very very slightly less guess my whereabout also lol.
I did originate in the south not far from London and much prefer a more rural home.A traffic jam for me can be a couple of cars moaning they are stuck behind a tractor, as opposed to the m25 which circles London and is often referred to as the worlds largest car park, because when there is an accident etc you can be stuck there for what seems like hours, here a hold up of 5 mins is unusual.
There you go,clear as mud.

MIKE - Really very sorry to hear of your plight!
My wish is that you find another work quickly that will "blow" the old one to pieces!

Age has its limitations - I spent a couple hours plus yesterday trying to hang a water hose hanger to the side of the stucco wall. I drilled three holes and inserted plastic inserts to hold the screws only to find that on the 4th hole I managed to find some sort of metal - maybe a plate covering an electrical line? - and I could not get that last 3/8 of an inch for the hardened large screws that I was using to hold the hanger plate to the wall. Amazingly I had to pick that spot on the entire wall that I could have chosen a couple inches, prolly either side - and since I had already drilled three holes in the stucco - I did not want to start over.
I searched and searched for a shorter large screw - finally found ONE that I could grind down to the length that would work. Now I was able to complete the job in short order. The whole 20 minute job stretched into almost 3 hours with a couple of "honey do" interruptions interspersed between.

The remainder of the afternoon was spent helping to move "stuff" from the ranch to our garage for a big sale. The ranch approach is not desirable for a sale there because of the driveway, parking, and turnaround space.

Speaking of the ranch wars: The sister has apologized to everyone over the fit she threw - and things are "sort" of back to normal, but seriously, I will never forget the fit that she had ... it is forever ingrained into my mind!

My days and nights have completely flipped over ... to bed at 6 PM and awake at 12 AM? Go figure!

He means the Midlands, this cuts from west to east, I always think the term a bit vague, but I suppose this Is England only,look at North Wales then as you ‘hit’ England there is a swathe to the right until you hit the coast near the bump on the right.It cuts through different counties so for instance south Lincolnshire is included whilst north Lincolnshire most definitely is not.
the term is often used as a political area for voting, where people certainly do not see them self as being either from the south or the north,and the line is somewhat vague.
As he does not mention the coast I assume he is more in the middle of this horizontal line, especially as this is reasonably ‘inland’ for the UK and England where temperatures are less prone to extremes.
Now as someobe who also technically lives in the midlands, you can see this is pretty vague as even I cannot make much of his geographical position :D. I am closer to the east coast but have not seen a beach in a long time, some years, I am based in what is often described as the Fens,low lying land vulnerable to rising sea levels, so hope that the greenhouse effect will not cause any major rises or I might need swimming lessons despite the fact I am a good distance from the coast line. as reclaimed land, reclaimed from the water,much of this area is on silt with a clay base and is excellent farm land,our home is in fact an ex farm,albeit a small holding.
So now you can very very slightly less guess my whereabout also lol.
I did originate in the south not far from London and much prefer a more rural home.A traffic jam for me can be a couple of cars moaning they are stuck behind a tractor, as opposed to the m25 which circles London and is often referred to as the worlds largest car park, because when there is an accident etc you can be stuck there for what seems like hours, here a hold up of 5 mins is unusual.
There you go,clear as mud.
WOW ! Long way round, my location is in my profile for all to see (Derby). And "the fens" is in East Anglia (that's the big bump to the right on a map of the UK.) :D

And add a bit of trivia, did you know that no one in the UK lives more than 75miles from the sea.

Last edited:
Is that like "The Midlands", or the middle of the top bit, the middle of the bottom bit? Or you could be like me and have a Mother born in the bottom of the bottom bit (Plymouth, Devon) a Father born in the top of the top bit (Newcastle, Northumberland). I was born in Auckland NZ and now live in Nth Brisbane, Queensland, Australia ( the middle of the Eastern bit) Temperature today is 15C and supposedly Sunny. Time of writing is 11:33 AM (GMT+10)
🤣 It's pretty much the middle really.
My Mom was born in the bottom left bit, my Dad was from the middle go left a bit, or in English, Plymouth and Cardiff 😀

WOW ! Long way round, my location is in my profile for all to see (Derby). And "the fens" is in East Anglia (that's the big bump to the right on a map of the UK.) :D

And add a bit of trivia, did you know that no one in the UK lives more than 75miles from the sea.
Translated to American:

smudgemap.jpg

Good morning all,

47 and cloudy. Weather guesser said no rain today but it looks like rain.

Mike - really something, getting let go like that! I have had a few missed days due to health or dr. dentist appt's. So far, just about xhausted all my days off with either the smashed finger (7 days) then a couple dentist appts where I had to take the whole day off. Kind of get that out of control feeling when vacation time dries up due to sick days. Here, they are both counted the same.

Yesterday awoke to find Mr. or Mrs. bear was at our bird feeder, gonna have to take it in at night from now on:

IMG_2245.JPG

I was able to salvage it, put a 4 x 4 in the ground and mounted the pole to it, had a time getting it straight, however

THEN this girl was in the yard digging around, looking for a good place to lay her eggs (have seen at least 3 of these around here this spring):

IMG_2243.JPG

Did some work on the Sawmill, got some ground cover down, did some ballasting nearby, getting this area ready to move on, will leave the fine details for later prolly

IMG_2246.JPG

Like to get the pics, then see where I need to add more stuff.

Only about 1.5' of track left to install on the opposite side of the layout then will energize the track

Dave LASM

Morning all,

Supposed to be 100° with heat index of 110°.
Not much happening yet. Groceries were gotten yesterday, along with church, so we won't need to go out. I did go out to get some breakfast sandwiches from a large chain restaurant and almost thought the radio in the truck was broke. My favorite station breaking up and a lot of cross talk. Turned it from 104.5 to 104.3 to hear a really strong signal with the same genre of music from 140 miles away (Great Bend KS). Funny how atmospherics can affect radio signals. Yes I now how radio signals work as I had to learn about it in some electronics and signaling classes while working on one of my former majors. I only changed about half a dozen times before graduating with a Bachelors in Computer science with minors in Math, History and America Literature. Yes I was undecided...😁

Mike: Sorry to hear of your job loss. Hope you find something better soon!

Good Morning All. Clear, sunny and 77°. Another heat advisory day with the high projected to be 104°. Only got up to 101° yesterday. Long range forecast calls for upper 90's to lower 100's for the next ten days, except Wednesday at 95°. Haven't had a summer like this in a few years and it's not even summer yet.

No problem with the airport run yesterday. Wife's flight was on time and I happened to be at exactly the right terminal exit. Plane landed at 12:24 so we stopped for pizza on the way home. After that, a nap and then it was too damn hot to do anything outdoors. I don't know how much longer I will have to deal with the granddog. She hasn't been a problem except Wednesday when she puked twice on the living room carpet.

A couple of garden results here. Remember that I was five weeks late with planting so the onions and cabbage are not quite as big as normal.
Yellow onions before and after. These are called Texas 1015 sweet onions, as a lawsuit in the 90's prevents them from being called Vidalia Onions, but they are the same things.
IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

Here's the white onions planted later just beginning their drying cycle.
IMG_1068.JPG

Red (purple) ones are still in the ground
IMG_1084.JPG

It's OK that the cabbages are a little small since there's only two of us. The smaller of the two will be made into cole slaw today. There's four more in the garden ready to pick.

Thanks for the comments and reactions regarding the Longhorns yesterday; Smudge, Karl, Louis, Sherrel, Joe, Guy, Hughie, Patrick, Tom O, Rick, Jaz, Curt, OB Ken, Tom.

It wasn't too hot to spend time out in the train shed yesterday. I mostly ran trains including a couple of switching runs that rotated 16 cars total. I did repair the horns on the Longhorn and made another discovery, one ear was missing also!:mad:
IMG_1082_LI.jpg

As luck would have it, I did find just half an ear and it was the half that attached to the head, so a bit more Gorilla Glue took care of that. I also painted eyes, mouth and horns on all four.
IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG

With careful placement on the layout, I can disguise the half ear situation.
Today I will do the final painting of details on the horns and legs.

Sherrel - Maybe it was a good thing that the metal plate was there.
In the meantime - millions swim the river!
They're not swimming, they're wading. Those of you who don't live around here probably don't realize just how bad this situation really is. It is horrendous and extremely costly. The federal government does not reimburse the border states for education, health care, crime prevention or temporary housing. Charitable organizations and churches are spread thin with supplying food.

Tom O - Hope that you are feeling better sooner rather than later.
Patrick - Peaches and apples are looking really tasty.
Todd - Those pictures at Classic Trains makes me seriously consider a road trip. Didn't realize it until I looked it up, but that is only a 9.5 hour trip for me.
Smudge - 19°C isn't real warm. No wonder so many of your countrymen emigrated over to North America years ago!

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning from a comfortable 51F area. - I feel so sorry for you poor people that have to endure the triple digit heat!😓 Hope you live through it to post another day.

I'm going to get the dog walked right away, because I have lot's of stuff to work on. This is going to be paint brush day.
The plan is to start detailing a bunch, and hopefully help downsize the pile of projects. Here's a photo of all the projects I'll be touching on today:
Modelling_06-12-2022 (1).JPG

Some clean-up and spraying involved, but, mostly working with the smaller brush and a hoard of different colours. I'll be working with enamels today.
The curved bridge is actually for the wife's succulent display pot. The G-kids keep breaking it up while engaged in play, and I need to keep putting it back together.

This is just a quick wake-up post, because I need to get going. Maybe I'll get another photo of a pretty bird during the morning walk, like I did yesterday. This is a Western Tanager:
WesternTanager_11-06-2022 (1).JPG

Dave - Cool photos. I've always wondered if one of those snapping turtles could take you're finger off with a bite. We don't have turtles here.

Time to get moving. Have a great day, everyone!

A couple of garden results here. Remember that I was five weeks late with planting so the onions and cabbage are not quite as big as normal.
Yellow onions before and after. These are called Texas 1015 sweet onions, as a lawsuit in the 90's prevents them from being called Vidalia Onions, but they are the same things.
I don't have a garden, but I have this growing in my kitchen, not quite as bountiful as yours tho'. 😁 😁
And yes, it is an onion.🤣

ONION.jpg

Good morning Crew and thanks for the health wishes.

smudge, Sorry I thought I had looked at your profile to figure out where you lived.

Willie, great looking onions and look about a normal size for this Wisconsinite. Glad your trip to the airport and pizza place went well. Doesn’t the airport have a Cellphone parking lot while you wait for the flight?

guy, happy painting. My detail stuff is still sitting on the bench next to the spray booth
8D12A25E-F976-4ED0-B417-4B4B6E8E415B.jpeg

Not sure what to do with myself. My wife’s friend keeps coming over to check on me, which is fine but somewhat uncomfortable. She is a doctor but I am 69 not a baby.

Watched TV from 8PM to 1:05AM. Finished the Warrior Nun season 1 and look forward to the next season.
Then I watchEd another Netflix show, In From the Cold. This of course goes against what I wrote that I don’t watch 1 season shows. It seemed interesting on the trailer and it’s ok, just ok but watchable. I am waiting for Season 3 of the Witcher which for some reason with the terrible acting and the dark almost unseeable scenes I enjoyed. When #3 comes out I may have to watch seasons 1/2 again as a refresher since it might be 6 months since I last watched it.

Mikein HubCity, best to you on the search. My brother was on the board at ODC for years until maybe 2018. They would be understanding of your medical issues. So would the Marshfield Heathsystem.

The son offered to come up and be with me as I recover from whatever this crap is I have. Tested Covid negative again this morning. What the heck the Covid test kits for 8 per month are free so I thought I would use them. 3 days and still negative testing. I told the son no but he’s bored and May show up anyway. I know he spoke to the only lady I know he asked to marry. She is recently divorced from the arranged marriage she claims her parents forced her into. She is a Pediatrician he met on a flight from Vegas to Austin. She was doing a six month practice at Dell’s Children in Austin. A few days later she said her practice was in Madison, Wi. but grew up in Vegas and born in Bombay. He went on to tell her about his niece Harper who has D/S who lives in the Madison area. Turns out she treats both grandkids and still does. It’s a small world.

Dave, based on the turtle you live close to a creek or pond? We had the occasion Bear come through the yard a few times over the years. One Spring he was gone, turned out the poacher down the road lured him in and shot him. Poacher bragged at the wrong local bar and was caught along with 20+ deer hides with no tags

Finally, I got a new drone sent by the son. We use drones to survey the fence line as we cannot afford to have any horse runaways. This one flies about 60mph in the still and stays up around 50 minutes. It’s a DJI MaVic 3 Cine. 2 years old as the son upgraded to something newer. This drone should half the flight time around the fence line that now takes about 35-40 minutes with a battery switch out. I will try it later today if health permits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back