Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got up about 4:15 local time. Unloaded the dishwasher because it needed to be done.

Now, the cat and I are in the LayZBoy preparing for a cat nap.

Oh, and I started the Gettysburg book by Sears (the author, not the store chain) last night. And I'm listening to an audio book about the WWII invasion of Sicily. Hope I can keep the generals straight. So far, no overlap in names.

Goooood morning gang!!!

63° and glorious out there today, looking for a high of 84°, and here I am overlooking 5 acres of cars for the next 6 hours. 😐 Steaming coffee mug in hand!

The lawn beckons me later, then possible take the Gkids to the local VFD carnival. Trains tomorrow.

BBL

Another early wakeup - for me! Three hours ago!
Looking for 80 degrees up from 58 as we speak.

The RV failed yesterday on the airbag repair. I was told that the part we ordered generally fixed the problem in 90 percent of the time. Only one more thing to do is replace the module which I am sure is expensive. I am so disgusted -- I am beginning to think that it has a ghost that is tormenting me?
Prove me wrong!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 66° this morning. It may get back into the 80's today. Had another 0.1" of drizzle yesterday evening, just enough to get everything wet again.

My recovery seems to be progressing as it should be. While I am now cleared to get back into the pool, it was drizzling at the normal time yesterday so I skipped it. I don't like this nothing over 10 lbs. thing, but I guess that I will live with it. BP has been normal, but I haven't exerted any to see if my stamina has improved.

The granddog arrived yesterday afternoon for me to dog-sit for the next 8-10 days while the #2 daughter's family vacations on South Padre Island. I will be taking my wife to the airport in a few hours so that she can join them. Of course the drizzle made some mud patches for the dog to get into, that I will inevitably have to clean off the kitchen floor. It's been a hassle this week, and it isn't over yet. I have to leave home again for the fifth trip in seven days, much to my dismay. I tend to be a hermit and like to stay around the SFW estate mostly.

I will not be going to see Top Gun: Maverick as I fall asleep in movie theaters, but here's a bit of trivia. Val Kilmer's voice is not his since he can no longer speak, but it is AI generated. I don't think that he has too many lines of dialogue anyway.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did install 16' of backdrop in the intended area. I also began to add railcars to the existing population there. None of this track is fastened down with the exception of the main line and the passing siding there. Everything is intended to be temporary storage while I work on other layout projects. In the eventual long term, I will be installing some storage shelves above two of the three staging yards. I am removing some Athearn Blue Box locos that need work anyway.
Here are some archive pictures to tide me over until I resume modeling projects. I don't have many individual homes on the layout itself, but I have more in Vernon than in any other town.
This one is the West's family home. It is 1/2 of a DPM Gold Series kit called Emery Lane.
IMG_6184.JPG

Another home belongs to the Carlton's. It comes from Branchline and is a laser-cut kit called Albion House. The garage is scratchbuilt using leftovers from many laser-cut kits.
03-03-19 002.JPG

Another home is the Judd's home. This is known as the Drinkwater Place from American Model Builders and is also a laser-cut structure.
03-06-19 002.JPG

Guy - Excellent hopper pictures and also excellent airplane modeling. I haven't done an airplane in over 55 years.
Tom O - Spring Branch is a lot closer to San Antonio than it is to Austin. But it is an excellent community and it is in the Hill Country along the Guadeloupe River. It's west of San Marcos and north of New Braunfels. Population of the city itself is about 250.
Ken (D&J) - Hope that the modular display is successful and enjoyable.

Today is National Cheese Day. I am sure that you guys from Wisconsin already know that.
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning fellow modellers!
A beautiful, warm Saturday morning at 57F right off the top. I'm hearing there's supposed to be very high winds today. Maybe that will blow in some rain; I hope.
It's been an unusually weird spring. Cold for a long time and with fire season starting late; even after green-up. The plants are having a tough go this year. Plus, we seem to be a-bit short on birds, bees, and ants. I notice these things when I'm walking the dog. Mother nature is not happy, and she's going to kick arse sooner or later.

Presently, I'm working on a Walthers kit of a small oil dealership. Frankly, I don't really like Walthers kits, but, they are handy. This is the one I'm building right now; kit no: 933-4059.
OilDeal_06-03-2022 (1).JPG

I cleaned up all the parts from the two main buildings and washed them in Dawn dish detergent as precaution against manufacturing residue.
OilDeal_06-03-2022 (2).JPG

Now, I've got a number of models ready for primer.
OilDeal_06-03-2022 (3).JPG

My plan is to decant and prime these up today, and then get more track work done while that's in dry time. All of the above is only temporarily put together for photo purposes, and will come apart for proper priming. - Priming things up is actually a-lot of work if one gets to far ahead of themselves.

replace the module which I am sure is expensive.
Sherrel - I try to avoid fancy vehicles that are overrun with excessive electronics. I wish I could still just get the old Pontiac station-wagon without a key-fob and three on the tree. That's the best motorhome I ever had.

Well friends, time to walk the dog so I can get something done. Have a great Saturday!

Another early wakeup - for me! Three hours ago!
Looking for 80 degrees up from 58 as we speak.

The RV failed yesterday on the airbag repair. I was told that the part we ordered generally fixed the problem in 90 percent of the time. Only one more thing to do is replace the module which I am sure is expensive. I am so disgusted -- I am beginning to think that it has a ghost that is tormenting me?
Prove me wrong!
I write books about a who talks to ghosts

The ghosts say, nope, not them. Check with the Gremlins.

I just got an email from one of the online hobby shops I frequent. I found something I wanted, but…
It seems they are also jumping on the MFA bandwagon, and wouldn’t let me complete a purchase unless I provided a phone number for them to send an authentication code to.
I also had to submit a multi-step captcha to prove I wasn’t a robot.

I just got an email from one of the online hobby shops I frequent. I found something I wanted, but…
It seems they are also jumping on the MFA bandwagon, and wouldn’t let me complete a purchase unless I provided a phone number for them to send an authentication code to.
I also had to submit a multi-step captcha to prove I wasn’t a robot.
Those darn bots... fortunately they don't have phones.

If you've ever heard a droid speak, like that R2 one, he's got a foul mouth on him. They bleeped every word he said in all the movies.

Good morning all! Sunny and 70 on the way to sunny and 84.

Not a whole lot to report for today. Planning to go visit with my granddaughter and her fiance later today. They're moving closer to us but farther from her job by about 20 miles. Wish she would give it up and find a new job closer to home. They don't make that much money anyway and with the absolutely absurd price of gas she shouldn't be driving that far back and forth to work anyway. Regardless of who is to blame for gas prices, I firmly believe the current cost of oil is absolutely ridiculous and it would take a lot to convince me otherwise. We're at $5.29 a gallon right now.

Willie: We'll have to water the garden probably for the next few days at least. We either get constant torrential rain or no rain at all. Seems we're in the no rain at all spot right now. Wish we could just get a nice soft rain. Would definitely be easier on my water bill.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning from suddenly chilly but predicted So. Central Wisconsin. It is 56 and feels like 56f degrees as there is no breeze. We may hit 62 with rain on/off this morning, steady rains this afternoon and T-storms this evening. More of the same tomorrow. The last 3 days have been stunningly gorgeous so we were due for a downfall.

Guy, you are right Mother Nature does have her way of evening the score. She does always win in the end. The nice part about the Walthers kits is that they kit bash very easily.

Willie, yes I am aware of National Cheese Day. It’s Dairy Month in Wisconsin and I used to enjoy the morning Farmer breakfast mikeinhubcity reported on the other day in Marshfield, Wi., my old employment stomping grounds. Not as many farmer breakfasts down here in the liberal state of Dane County Wisconsin. Which is sad as there are more farms and cows here then up north. The Spring Branch Texas place is nice. The realtor sent pictures and tons of info. But also said to visit it you must be pre-qualified and need to have the bank… Finally about 10 last night I told Terry, love it or not we are not going to even look it. We are not moving. See below…

Boris, it was an interesting hockey game last night. I dislike the Lightning. I really dislike the Rangers but if the Lightning pull this out they will win a 3rd Cup and I don’t want that. If NY wins this round I believe that the Oilers would win their battles with Colorado and destroy NY in the Finals. Boy when your goaltending sucks like the Oilers does it makes it very hard to win. Still NY loses in 5 in the Finals to either team out West.

Ice Hockey, I have been a NHL fan since maybe 5-6 years old. It was the only sport dad enjoyed and as I previously wrote we spent many a BlackHawk game with standing room only tickets in the rafters of the old Chicago Stadium. Boy, could that place shake when Bobby Hull had the puck. Anyway, the under 18 World Championships of Womens Hockey is in Madison, Wi. the next 2 weeks. Our schedule was for us to be traveling but that changed so we will see a few games this week. I am looking forward to that.

the son, finally texted and then called me last night. Apologized to me for sending his mother the information on Spring Branch, Texas. Told me he thought of it a more as a joke then anything. He should know better when it comes to horses, land and an opportunity to combine the 2 and make money, his mom will be interested. That texting was after dinner.

the daughter, I knew the walk Terry and the daughter took yesterday was going to be trouble. The daughter is tired of Wisconsin and wants to look around for a good school system for the 10 year old special needs (Down Syndrome) granddaughter again. Many of the excellent staff in our school district are leaving and the daughter is leary of the Middle School special needs group staffing.

She wants to start looking again on Maui and wants Terry and my sister to join her, a best friend and the1st grade teacher of both grandkids on the search. The 1st grade teacher is a good friend who Terry and I knew when she was a kid growing up through high school. Both my sister and Wife are retired teachers and administrators in their careers. Nashville was ruled out in a previous search as Kait loved the City but was appalled by the quality of the Special Education programs. This is sounding like a long Summer is coming. Austin was ruled out for the same issue. The private schools and some of the public schools in Austin are tremendous but the special needs programs are lacking.

The places are 2 school districts on Maui, Steamboat Springs, Colorado, St. Charles, Missouri, Charlotte, NC., Naperville, Geneva and Hinsdale, Illinois. Hinsdale is the school district my sister retired from. I am not looking forward to this. This has been too well thought out to be a lark.

I did around midnight text the son if he was aware of this new school search. He said yes, that is why he had the realtor email the Spring Branch thing. A conspiracy!

The SIL and grandson are coming over to hit golf balls this morning and I will get his side of the story then. I know he can work at home and his attitude is similar to mine. If the wife is happy so am I. Usually!

Morning All, or Afternoon here

Got the GP9 up and running this morning, new decoder, seems I forgot to change CV's 17 & 18. I'm too used to Digitrax decoders, where you don't have to do that. Don't know if the old decoder is fried or not, need to look at that at some point.

The non working GP18 I ordered arrived this morning, this is the one I intended to cannibalise to get my original one working, turns out this one will be easier to get running, once I swap the trucks over, and find the occasional short coming from the rear truck, still need to clean all the wheels, coz their black, couldn't get it running till I scraped some of the muck off one axle.

Enough for today, may do a bit later, see how I feel.

BBFN

I'd start taking pictures and sending the developer the tyre bills, ask them to pay for it, why should you ?
The laws do not work that way in this state. Once something hits the street, it is considered road debris, with little to no accountability.
I discovered this the hard way when a bunch of gravel fell off the back of a truck when it hit a bump, and one of the rocks broke my windshield. It didn't matter I had dashcam video showing the rock fall off the truck and strike my windshield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back