Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

If I give the fence about a 10 hour day, I should get it done completely. Not sure if I can do it in the anticipated heat of the day, but, if I do, I'll be a different colour when I come home. Farmers tan, ya know.

Willie - God's speed when you go under the knife today.

When I went down to the hardware for lumber yesterday, I seen that the CN boys were up to something. Couldn't get close enough to see what they were doing, but, they have a couple of hoes available, and are using open hoppers. - Must have something to do with ballast.
I stopped for a moment to take one long distance photo:
CN Works_05-31-2022 (1).JPG

There was a line of 6 more open-hoppers to the east, with nobody around. I couldn't resist walking over and getting a few quick photos of a car.
OpnHop_CN 90172_05-31-2022 (1).JPG

OpnHop_CN 90172_05-31-2022 (2).JPG

OpnHop_CN 90172_05-31-2022 (3).JPG

OpnHop_CN 90172_05-31-2022 (4).JPG

OpnHop_CN 90172_05-31-2022 (5).JPG

I take as many photos of rail cars as I can manage. I'm starting to work up an extensive file of various cars, which I hope will help me with future weathering purposes. Plus, I really enjoy taking and keeping a collection of historical photos. I believe the world will take interest in them come the future, when I'm dust.

Here's more photos of another hopper in the line:
OpnHop_CN 96405_05-31-2022 (1).JPG

OpnHop_CN 96405_05-31-2022 (2).JPG

OpnHop_CN 96405_05-31-2022 (3).JPG

It's going to be a very busy day, but, if I get a chance, my intention is to go down and take more photos.

Well, there's the first post of a new month here in the shop.
Time to make a move now, so have a great day.
And thanks for the likes on these simple posts. All they take is two fingers and a camera.

It is too cool and breezy to be out on the deck.

Terry has the TV tuned to GMA on ABC. They are making a big deal over the Queen of England‘s Jubilee. Sorry if I offend Smudge, JazA or anyone else. Does anyone in the media understand a REVOLUTION was fought to allow us to seperate from the English Monarchy’s cruel rule in the late 1700’s? A war was fought to get away from them. Why are they the Monarchy of interest? One of the richest and dysfunctional families in the WORLD could have a nice self paid party but nope let’s let the government pay for it. Just for the record, I feel the same way about Royal weddings of any country. Seriously though, May the Queen live long and prosper. But why the American interest?

Back to the cave.

Good morning all!
57F in Libby
89F in Olive Branch with partly
Was driving yesterday afternoon with cruise set, air conditioner perfect and running on radar. Not much traffic between Knoxville and Nashville so I was bored and got to thinking about Jeff's question about the Earth stopping spinning. Think it was Jeff...anyway Earth circumference is just under 25K miles and 1 rotation is 24Hrs, so if you are standing on the equator you are moving at 25K/24Hrs or about 1042Mph. That works to 1042 * 5182F or about 5,501,760Fph and then 1528Fps. So now Earth stops and you keep moving pretty much in a straight line. At the end of the 1st second, you are 1528 feet down range, less than 32Ft lower than when started and greater than mach 1. Pretty much juice on that building you hit. So you don't tip over or fall down. If you miss all the buildings and other stuff, Earth's escape velocity is about 25KFps so you are not headed for orbit, you just keep going round and round until air friction slows you and gravity brings you low enough to become a bag of bones on the ground.

Good morning all!
57F in Libby
89F in Olive Branch with partly
Was driving yesterday afternoon with cruise set, air conditioner perfect and running on radar. Not much traffic between Knoxville and Nashville so I was bored and got to thinking about Jeff's question about the Earth stopping spinning. Think it was Jeff...anyway Earth circumference is just under 25K miles and 1 rotation is 24Hrs, so if you are standing on the equator you are moving at 25K/24Hrs or about 1042Mph. That works to 1042 * 5182F or about 5,501,760Fph and then 1528Fps. So now Earth stops and you keep moving pretty much in a straight line. At the end of the 1st second, you are 1528 feet down range, less than 32Ft lower than when started and greater than mach 1. Pretty much juice on that building you hit. So you don't tip over or fall down. If you miss all the buildings and other stuff, Earth's escape velocity is about 25KFps so you are not headed for orbit, you just keep going round and round until air friction slows you and gravity brings you low enough to become a bag of bones on the ground.
With my luck, I'd land in Ukraine or worse, the steps of the U.S Capitol............

Not sure what the point is then ;)

I would say, a cool refreshing drink that won't keep you awake at night. Or, something to wash down the potato chips with.

On other news, we are having beautiful weather, after several days of up and down, mostly down.

Saved this photo from the old layout to my computer screen, been meaning to share it. The real town of Grizzly Flats, located in California, was part of one of those massive wildfires last year, I believe. This was my first "difficult" building, but I really liked it always.

layout5 009.JPG

more later, Dave

To continue with the Earth stopping. Where would the moon rise and how long would it take to cross the sky?
That is an interesting question. Me thinks that the moon's rotation would not change and would continue as normal. Earth spin does not effect the moon. Tides would return to normal AFTER all the water drained back to the low spots. Remember that the all the stuff not nailed down moved down range just as you did. Moon travels at about 2900Mph, so to get around a stopped earth once would be 25K miles divided by 2900Mph or 8ish hours? What? When Earth is spinning it does so West to East, same as moon's rotation. Just happens faster cuz Earth is stopped.

Terry has the TV tuned to GMA on ABC. They are making a big deal over the Queen of England‘s Jubilee. Sorry if I offend Smudge, JazA or anyone else. Does anyone in the media understand a REVOLUTION was fought to allow us to separate from the English Monarchy’s cruel rule in the late 1700’s? A war was fought to get away from them. Why are they the Monarchy of interest? One of the richest and dysfunctional families in the WORLD could have a nice self paid party but nope let’s let the government pay for it. Just for the record, I feel the same way about Royal weddings of any country. Seriously though, May the Queen live long and prosper. But why the American interest?
Boy do I agree with you on this subject. Just take a look at People mag and all the articles about the Royals....? I say this even when to the best of my knowledge, my ancestors fought with the British during the Revolutionary War and then changed sides to Colonists.

I do not want to offend anyone.

Greg

############

The same reason people get so interested in Johnny Depp/Amber Heard, The Kardashians, Those People on Survivor.... Media is a thing, and people are very concerned about the rich and famous...

Now, as to how much political power the monarchy in the UK holds? I'll leave that to our UK cousins to share, but I doubt it's much at all.

Afternoon All,

The acrylic wash on the resin was a flop. It looked good wet but when it dried it turned a scummy shade of white with black streaks through it. The colors I used was brown and green. So, I'm turning it into a "washed out area". I did sand on one small section to see if white glue would stick good enough and it does so, I'm waiting on materials to finish it before moving on to the coal trestle. I did lay out the components of the coal yard to see how everything would fit. I also made a sheet of grass clumps (static grass). They take about 48 hours to dry enough to use. Tomorrow I'm heading up to my buddy Jon's to drop off 2 locos for repair and shoot the breeze for a couple of hours.

On a separate note, earlier today, I was thinking about Garry, Eric, and Jeff.

Hughie- Very nice layout scenes. Who makes the TT?

Troy- You're making great progress on the tear down. I can't take Melatonin since it usually causes me to be dizzy.

Jaz- Nice layout shot.

IB Ken- It's always something when you own a house.

Karl- Congrats to your son.

Willie- I hope everything went well.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Boy do I agree with you on this subject. Just take a look at People mag and all the articles about the Royals....? I say this even when to the best of my knowledge, my ancestors fought with the British during the Revolutionary War and then changed sides to Colonists.

I do not want to offend anyone.

Greg

############
My Grandmother was in the Daughters of the American Revolution. When Dad passed,I found the paperwork in his stuff. I thought about joining myself, since the paperwork and research is already done.

Maybe one of those things I do when I retire?

The moon orbits Earth once every 28 days. So, every two weeks the Moon would rise, take a couple of weeks to traverse the visible sky, then set.
Of course, if you were on the day side of the Earth, you wouldn’t see much of the moon, but would have your own problems, such as slowly roasting in constant sunlight.
That is, if you survived suddenly going from about 1,000mph to 0mph…

JazA, I read somewhere dark chocolate is good for you in of course moderation. I love milk chocolate but can’t have any bit the dark chocolate for this diabetic is allowed. Go figure!
Don't know about dark chocolate being good for you, but as a fellow diabetic, if you want milk chocolate, eat it, just not the whole bar, a few pieces is fine,but that's your lot for the day. I've found that you can eat pretty much what you did previously, (wont help if your trying to lose weight tho') but Moderation is the key.

Don't know about dark chocolate being good for you, but as a fellow diabetic, if you want milk chocolate, eat it, just not the whole bar, a few pieces is fine,but that's your lot for the day. I've found that you can eat pretty much what you did previously, (wont help if your trying to lose weight tho') but Moderation is the key.

Supposedly a certain amount of cocoa powder / chocolate is good for you. If you ate enough milk chocolate you probably could get what you need but all the sugare etc probably negates the benefit. But dark chocolate has less sugar and so gets you the benefit. Cocoa powder is supposedly full of flavanols/flavanoids and anthocyanins and other anti-oxidant type things.

I drink a cup of cocoa with added MCT oil and no sugar (use monk fruit and erythritol) daily. I make it using raw cacao powder mised with a rich dark baking chocolate for smoothness. I also sometimes eat a little 90% dark from Walmart (Sam's variety of imported Swiss, which tastes better to me than Lindt and other name brands).

Last edited:
The same reason people get so interested in Johnny Depp/Amber Heard, The Kardashians, Those People on Survivor.... Media is a thing, and people are very concerned about the rich and famous...

Now, as to how much political power the monarchy in the UK holds? I'll leave that to our UK cousins to share, but I doubt it's much at all.
Never watched a Kardashian or Survivor show. Know about Amber and Johnny only because the news before dinner seems to be: mass shooting, Ukraine and then Johnny/Amber.

Rich people can be like you and me. It is these so-called Celebrities that make me shake my head. I now classify Elon the Huckster as celebrity status more then the genius business mogul he once was.

Bezo, Gates, Buffet and other billionaires are different from the Musks, Cuban and K. Wests of the world as they don’t go looking for the media. Warren Buffett and Bill Gates I have met. Believe this or not other then the billions more they are worth then me and the security details both seemed rather normal. Gates still very much the geek and uncomfortable in a social setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back