Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about dark chocolate being good for you, but as a fellow diabetic, if you want milk chocolate, eat it, just not the whole bar, a few pieces is fine,but that's your lot for the day. I've found that you can eat pretty much what you did previously, (wont help if your trying to lose weight tho') but Moderation is the key.
I try not to go looking for my wife’s hidden stash of chocolates but she mainly eats M&M’s. As for the moderation, I am trying. However, there is no moderation when it comes to milk chocolate with me. Therefore, if I don’t buy it there is no temptation.

Supposedly a certain amount of cocoa powder / chocolate is good for you. If you ate enough milk chocolate you probably could get what you need but all the sugare etc probably negates the benefit. But dark chocolate has less sugar and so gets you the benefit. Cocoa powder is supposedly full of flavanols/flavanoids and anthocyanins and other anti-oxidant type things.

I drink a cup of cocoa with added MCT oil and no sugar (use monk fruit and erythritol) daily. I make it use raw cacao powder mised with a rich dark baking chocolate for smoothness. I also sometimes eat a little 90% dark from Walmart (Sam's variety of imported Swiss, which tastes better to me than Lindt and other name brands).
Thank you. I will have to look into trying this. I have not found a drinkable cup of cocoa commercially available, YMMV. Your homemade mix sounds interesting. Thanks

It is too cool and breezy to be out on the deck.

Terry has the TV tuned to GMA on ABC. They are making a big deal over the Queen of England‘s Jubilee. Sorry if I offend Smudge, JazA or anyone else. Does anyone in the media understand a REVOLUTION was fought to allow us to seperate from the English Monarchy’s cruel rule in the late 1700’s? A war was fought to get away from them. Why are they the Monarchy of interest? One of the richest and dysfunctional families in the WORLD could have a nice self paid party but nope let’s let the government pay for it. Just for the record, I feel the same way about Royal weddings of any country. Seriously though, May the Queen live long and prosper. But why the American interest?

Back to the cave.
Bit of a misconception about all that.

Queen Elizabeth is now the longest serving monarch, (her coronation was in Feb 1952) a record previously held by Queen Victoria (at 63yrs 7 months) So, sorry, it is a bit of a big deal not only in the UK.

The Queen's net worth is £370 million, less than some other heads of state and some business people in the US

The Royal family cost the UK taxpayer £1.29 pp per year (wonder how much the President cost's per US citizen)

The government has set aside £12million for the pageants and various other activities over the 4 days, expected revenue back to the government from all this is expected to be around £1.2bn (I call that a win in my book)

As for all the media coverage, well, my guess would be that their is whole of bunch of US citizens who are not only proud of their heritage, but where they came from too.

Last edited:
The same reason people get so interested in Johnny Depp/Amber Heard, The Kardashians, Those People on Survivor.... Media is a thing, and people are very concerned about the rich and famous...

Now, as to how much political power the monarchy in the UK holds? I'll leave that to our UK cousins to share, but I doubt it's much at all.
The Queen is the head of state, and has no political power.

King Charles was the last monarch with such power's and he lost his head in 1649. Cromwell then become Lord Protector, until the Monarchy was restored in 1660.

Last edited:
I try not to go looking for my wife’s hidden stash of chocolates but she mainly eats M&M’s. As for the moderation, I am trying. However, there is no moderation when it comes to milk chocolate with me. Therefore, if I don’t buy it there is no temptation.
I find American chocolate horrible, just sickly, definitely an acquired taste, only 10% coco?? and lots of preservatives.

The moon orbits Earth once every 28 days. So, every two weeks the Moon would rise, take a couple of weeks to traverse the visible sky, then set.
Of course, if you were on the day side of the Earth, you wouldn’t see much of the moon, but would have your own problems, such as slowly roasting in constant sunlight.
That is, if you survived suddenly going from about 1,000mph to 0mph…
Woops, forgot a step. I'ma old oh well. You would see the moon either hot or cold side of the earth; not to big if in apogee of orbit.

Good afternoon, all! A very warm day. Humid as well. Spent most of the day replacing some rotten trim boards around the garage doors.

Sherrell - thanks for the Willie Report. (Yes, a number of smart remarks came to mind for the Willie Report)
Curt - It's a Kato turntable. Sadly, it doesn't let me turn 2 of my steam locos. Other than that, it works flawlessly, aligns perfect each and every time.

No train stuff to report today.

STAY SAFE
LATER

In other non royal family related news.

Got my car back today, oil leak was found to be the oil filter seal, had a new filter and oil (£83, but it was a Ford dealer, so expected that,) Gearbox is the cooling pipes union joint, so that has to go back to the dealer as the gearbox is still under warranty, (I think that includes the pipes, I hope),if not, that's £398 if I let Ford do it, which I probably will.

Finished the silo at last, I'm happy with it I used an old guardrail from one of my defunct loco's to replace the original, and used weathering powder and sponge, which I think works pretty well, what do you think?

20220601_142821.jpg
20220601_143651.jpg
20220529_143321[2252].jpg

Last edited:
Good Afternoon All. Wife just brought me her laptop since I can't see or type on the forum on the phone. It appears that all was successful this morning. The doc put in one stent just to get additional $$$ from Medicare, I believe. Was out of recovery by 0930 in time for breakfast. I've been bored to death in a regular room since then. Every hour a nurse checks the entry wound and the family jewels. Nurse in recovery room only checked the wound! Had lunch and I am waiting for supper before being released at 1900. Glad to be going home, although my BP is a little high. That should go down once I am out of here. Got to make this short since she forgot the mouse and I am all thumbs on the touchscreen and touch pad.
Thanks for all of the well wishes.

He’s graduated!
Here he is with his Mom and big sister .
4415DE9C-34D8-4A0A-8816-BFAE627C9346.jpeg

After graduation seven of us, including mom,sis, his bestie from the old neighborhood, her mom and the sperm doner (remember he’s a bonus kid, came with the momma) all went to a local Italian eatery. I got the tab for all. Afterwards me and mom took a nap!

After the nap I decided to get into a little project that I’ve been putting off for a while. I recently purchased a lines West low nose conversion kit for a Prado GP nine. After cutting away all the support mechanism and doing a little bit of cleanup filing, It fit quite nicely on the shell. Before and after pics are below.
DB60EFD8-6594-42CC-A644-E998D41C2C7F.jpeg
8B114410-26FF-48F0-98DF-78FAD76D5887.jpeg
693D7034-5745-40A2-99DE-FE6C26AC736F.jpeg

I don’t believe it took me more than 30 minutes to complete the bulk of the conversion. Now to add about 45 detail parts to the shell before painting.

Willie, great news!

L8ter

Last edited:
It is too cool and breezy to be out on the deck.

Terry has the TV tuned to GMA on ABC. They are making a big deal over the Queen of England‘s Jubilee. Sorry if I offend Smudge, JazA or anyone else. Does anyone in the media understand a REVOLUTION was fought to allow us to seperate from the English Monarchy’s cruel rule in the late 1700’s? A war was fought to get away from them. Why are they the Monarchy of interest? One of the richest and dysfunctional families in the WORLD could have a nice self paid party but nope let’s let the government pay for it. Just for the record, I feel the same way about Royal weddings of any country. Seriously though, May the Queen live long and prosper. But why the American interest?

Back to the cave.
Lol not offended, and despite certain royals being total asses, I still e the monarchy our queen her grandson and can stomach Charles - just and feel for Camila.
Totally understand as a country who fought for independence asking wtf, I personally have no issues over the Boston tea party I don’t drink the stuff anyways lol.
Our Queen has been about a long time, she has done her best to keep a steady ship, losing her husband and coping with her kids I would just like her time here on earth to take her into a pleasant decline and a safe aurevoir into the sunset 🌅 as and when, her life as an independent was taken when her father had to become king, divorce being a big deal, and an American divorcee to boot I bet a few courtiers were biting their lip just because - a long time to bear a grudge but anyway officially a divorce was too much, but Elizabeth has been my Queen all my life and she has personally never tarnished it, she has been benevolent, and I think her reign once ended will not leave as pleasant a future monarchy, for some Americans especially ex UK citizens there is still a ‘their’ Queen by default, even whilst proud of their independence. America and the UK still uphold many common senses of what is right in a turbulent world, and I suspect many have a grudging respect for her despite all those wanting independence,and frankly for me if they vote for it they can have it and good luck. throughout history a number of our Royals have not been nice or kind but this lady is a true lady, and over the years she has had plenty of issues personal and for her country. she has spent her entire life in a glass bowl, I do not envy her,and despite the wealth etc I think she would have been happier if her poor father had not had to step up. For me she will always be a symbol to be proud of, I just hope those that replace her will deserve respect. and wish some of her family could be a little less like a cheap sitcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back