Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer my Remington .177 pellet gun. 2300 fps, very light pop when fired, and with a 4x scope I can hit anything on the property without disturbing the neighbors. They wouldn't even know if I didn't have to remove the bodies!
Ya, .17 - have one not a pellet and it is almost 3000fps and makes a bigger bang. Got rid of the years old .22 and ima so much happier. 3x9x40 scope so I can see sh.t down range; and when clicked, target disapears in a fluff of feathers or a ball of fur. Good stuff. I have hit paper @ 200 yards as those bullits are pretty light and wind does stuff with them.

What the heck is that?
Ken: Overland Colors? Lots of Fantasy Schemes of late.

Today, was wonderful, and not stressful. I felt no compulsion to run anywhere with my choke out, or otherwise stress myself out. I spent some time working on ideas for the background of my yard area. Also ran a Passenger train, a Freight Train and a Drill. Then I watched the On Demand repeat of last nights playoff game between the St.Louis Blues and Minnesota. Fun to watch Tareshenko's natural Hat trick...all in the Third Period. I timed it so I could watch the live telecast of the Phillies vs. Seattle. Good game. Then dinner. Did not watch any additional sports, whichis good because last I looked, The Penguins, the Capitals and the Orioles were all losing....
C789-SC21 NB @ 90th ST CSX  8052-8145 (SD40-2) -05_11_2022 Brian Ferrell Photo.jpg

Taken today (05/11/22), by Brian Ferrell at 90th Street, South in Philadelphia. Conrail, Stoney Creek crew, SC-21 dragging 88 cars to West Falls, PA, to connect with CSX C789. Yes, those are SD40-2 units, still working after all this time. Back during Conrail's Glory Days of the early 90s, the SD40-2 was considered the most reliable unit in the fleet. Guess that still holds, because 30 years later, they are still in revenue service.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Once again, I thank you all for the positive feedback on yesterday's photo that I snapped with my cellphone camera. And I don't have time for names cuz' I've still got a lot left to type tonite...
IBKen: Nice decals. Did you use a laser or bubble jet to print them with? Been wanting to 'roll my own' for quite awhile and I suspect that it will get done sooner or later.

We live in the County so there are no building permits. If I want to put in a septic tank, that is a quick trip down to planning with drawing of the area showing any waterways, depressions or nearby wells and that can be done with crayons if that is all ya have. Then you tell them what you are putting in, how deep and where along with drain field, size of rock ... etc .. etc. I am told stories of the number of car bodies that have been buried just for this purpose. In fact, we have something buried in our front yard that has a ( for the lack of another word ) shadow later on in the summer where the grass does not grow the same as nearby stuff. It is pretty big, 6 by 20 ish if memory serves. Maybe one day I will get on the backhoe and find out what is there.
Todd - thanks for the kind words! They were inkjet-printed on MicroMark decal paper (white background) using an Epson WF-2750 All-In-One printer. I like Epson because their ink doesn't "bleed" when covered with fixative spray.

Your comment about the planned garage and property taxes reminded me of the story of an unfortunate widow who is a member of my church. She lived in a county that requires a permit for anything that will significantly alter the description of your property that the county government has in their files. ~20 years ago, her husband's brother built a large addition on to their house for only the cost of materials, it had a sunroom on the second floor and 2 bedrooms on the first; pretty much doubled the value of the property. This family had recently immigrated from India, so building permits probably weren't even on their radar screen.

~20 years later the husband passed away, and the woman decided to sell the place and "downsize." Don't recall the dollar amount from the sale, but it was enough that she could retire early from her job as a physician. But when she tried to get the County to approve the bill of sale, they refused to do it because the property description didn't match what was in their files [and what they'd been paying taxes on]. They wouldn't just let a building inspector come in and review the work and approve it; nooo, the addition had to be totally demolished, and a county-licensed contractor hired to rebuild everything!:mad:

She had to dip into her own IRA to cover the expenses for the contractor(s) and the County since she hadn't yet gotten the check for the sale. Once the dust had settled and the sale was finally completed, she wound up with a net profit of ~$50K after replenishing her IRA. And she did NOT end up retiring early...

TomO - I totally agree with you about the SSS speakers. They dramatically enhanced the quality of the sounds of the engines I've put them in. I definitely want all of my 2gen EMD turbo models to have them, for more rumble and less whining/whistling!

Joe - those SD40-2's in the photo must be ~50 yrs old!

. . .
IB Ken. Beautiful layout scene
. . .
Thank you sir! :)

. . .
IB Ken- Very nice layout shot. Is that static grass on the siding track? If so, can you still run an engine on it?
. . .
Thanks Curt! Yes, that is Silflor static grass applied in varying colors and heights. I left enough open space around the rails themselves so a loco can be run over it, and I successfully tested one after I'd finished the scene. But when I'm having an op session, I'll just position the car being spotted at the end of a long string of cars, so the guest operator doesn't have to potentially contend with a loco that might not roll smoothly thru the grass without needing a nudge: "The ground is soft, might not support the weight of a loco..."

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good morning all! Cloudy and 68 heading for sunny and 86. The heat and humidity here as of the last few days has been awful. Can't believe it's this bad already not even halfway through May.
Busy busy week for me. Between getting ready for graduation and other duties at work along with trying to get the garden out finally I'm pretty wiped out. Looking forward to the weekend just to hopefully get some rest.
Nothing else to report right now. Hope you all have a great day!

Gotta cut the grass today. Getting kinda shaggy.
Grandson contracted the Rona. It's most likely the current version so he will get off easy, plus he won't risk taking the fake jab and suffer life debilitating injury. The other three kids will likely contract it as well.
Just a few more items to take care of in prep for the op session. I'll post that stuff on the op session thread.

Good morning from the humidity of So. Central Wisconsin. 87% humidity with 77f degrees now and very soupy heading to 91. Some if they show up severe t-storms but they would be pop ups. That means the opportunity is there but the weather guessers admit they don’t know where or when they might show.

7:30pm we have a Broadway touring musical play, which I forget the name of, Evan Hansen something. The Critics report by Tom will be provided tomorrow. Terry says I will like this one. We shall find out.

Watched 5 minutes of the Bucks/Celtic BB game, the last 5 minutes, great finish. Saw 2 periods of the Pens/Ranger game but missed the 2nd period after Crosby left the game. Had the Memphis/GS blowout game on late but barely watched. I hate when teams like Golden State call in a game like that. Losing by 39 means you didn’t try to earn the paycheck. I did flip onto the Flames/Dallas hockey game but the lady announcer’s voice was irritating to me. Sounded like a little kid and she had no volume in it. No idea how that game finished. I have the TV on while I am online, playing a game or reading a book. Just started doing that again since the NHL playoffs began. Not really paying attention but the games are on. Last night I happened to be creating wire armatures for 5-7” trees. Last night was measure and cut the wire and twist them together. Tomorrow night I will form the main branches. Started at 7 and went to about 11, normally I sit on my chair in the cave, last night I was in the love seat. More room and I had tray boxes instead of the normal deep sided box to toss them in. I should have between 150 to 200 armatures twisted up based upon past numbers. I have seen this part of tree making doing the twists with a powered drill but I have not had any luck with that. I think my trees look ok and I have posted them before. This seems to be the time of year I build trees, during NHL playoff season. This group of trees will just be twisted and main branch forming. The guy I am making these for will finish them off. When I send these off on May 19th, I will build just a supply of 4-5” tree armatures using up all the florist wire I have in stock. Maybe 500 armatures this time. Then when I am bored, need a few for myself or a customer request I have a large part created. Most guys will request 100 trees until they learn the price, then it usually on a fully built tree becomes 50. I have a fully built tree, a tree fully formed without leaves but painted, a tree where only the trunk and main branches are formed, and a straight twisted wire armature created at the LHS. He gets a cut if the order comes from there.

The pictures below have been inserted for your laughing pleasure this day. From the book of Faces!

C132075B-ED5C-455E-8D28-DD192B41071D.png
3A32B7EB-E602-43AC-B02D-0F84464018D7.jpeg

I did flip onto the Flames/Dallas hockey game but the lady announcer’s voice was irritating to me. Sounded like a little kid and she had no volume in it.
Tom: That would be Leah Hextall. She comes from a Hockey family, and is very knowledgeable, unfortunately, she lacks the voice projection to be really successful in her chosen field. She was a Host on Sportsnet, in Canada, and was picked up by ESPN this season. She is very difficult to listen to, as she can barely overcome the crowd noise in the background. BTW, Calgary won.

Good Morning All. It's partly cloudy and 69° here this fine day. No rain in the ten day forecast which means irrigating the garden, probably Saturday when we are predicted to have a light wind day.

Once again it's Thursday, time for the SFW weekly grocery/beer trek into the big city. It should be a short trip today although I don't know what's on my wife's list yet. My list only has beer, fruit and condiments plus a stop across the street at the Vitamin Shop for fish oil. I still need to look at the circular though.

Thanks for all of the comments and likes regarding the wide array of stuff yesterday, Patrick, Joe, Rick, Hughie, Louis, James, Tom O, Smudge, Dave, Curt, Jaz, IB Ken.

I did take a closer picture of my neighboring Texas Longhorn cows next door while I was out walking. They didn't really want to be photographed and turned their heads away!
IMG_0885.JPG

A side note on the crayfish that live on my property. The only time that I see them in water is when there is running water immediately after a heavy rainstorm. I actually do not see them often on land, but their holes with their accompanying chimneys are scattered around. They are usually within 50' of ditches where water only runs after storms, or in the ditch that I dug to direct uphill water into my pond. I never see them in standing water, but I don't search them out either. The one pictured yesterday was about 5" long, sans whiskers. I believe that they eat just about anything, small insects and vegetation, both dead and alive.

Didn't do a whole lot out in the train shed yesterday. Glued the four walls of the bank structure together.
IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

Added roof bracing.
IMG_0889.JPG

I also cut out the roof and painted it, but it's still in the paint booth.
Then I brush painted two walls before I ran out of time.
IMG_0890.JPG

Todd - Have a safe ride. My guess about your buried treasure is that it may be an old trailer that was intended as a bomb shelter back during the Cold War. Someone probably just filled in the entryway rather than remove it.
Troy - Be prepared to do a lot of trimming on that brisket. It's the reason that they're so cheap.
Tom O - I don't have any issues with squirrels here, only one that I know of; but I always take raccoons, Opossums and armadillos at least 8 miles away. All three have a natural range of 5 miles, so they shouldn't come back in their lifetimes.
IB Ken -
those SD40-2's in the photo must be ~50 yrs old!
SD40-2's were built from 1972-1989 if I recall correctly.

Everybody have a great day.

Tom: That would be Leah Hextall. She comes from a Hockey family, and is very knowledgeable, unfortunately, she lacks the voice projection to be really successful in her chosen field. She was a Host on Sportsnet, in Canada, and was picked up by ESPN this season. She is very difficult to listen to, as she can barely overcome the crowd noise in the background. BTW, Calgary won.
Ok thanks. Ihave heard of her. Seemed knowledgeable but was so quiet she made the analyst seem loud. I have seen her reporting from between the benches

TomO

edit.

Boris I alway like watching Joe Pawelski of the Dallas Stars. He grew up about 15 minutes south of us in No. Central Wi and he played many times against our son. He also spent many a day at the house over the years till he went to play Junior hockey in Iowa. He and the son still communicate. He has been a winner and very good teammate his whole life

Last edited:
What the heck is that?

I ordered mine already....

It will be my 2nd BLI product in like 15 years......hopefully it will not disappoint me like the 1st one did which I still have. (a SD7)

I am also looking at possibly getting the Challenger......we shall see.

BROADWAY LIMITED 7186 HO GE ES44AC, UP #8075, TTG W/ ALUMINUM, PARAGON4 SOUND/DC/DCC, SMOKE, (FANTASY PAINT SCHEME)​

Interesting paint job.
Ya I kinda like it. I wished I had gotten the 1 run of the SP Daylight which looked wicked cool. Now they are selling for 600 plus bucks.....

1652365732671.png

I like the fantasy schemes. I have several of them and enjoy having them on my layout. I just call them heritage units on my layout.

20220411_193935.jpg
20211127_212859X.jpg
20211127_212859Xxx.jpg

They also have this Black Widow scheme but I already have one by Athearn #750 (shown above) minus the American Flag.....

1652365455513.png

Here were some others from the past runs which I have a few of.......I was not interested in the F59PHI units. I did bid on the Union Pacific SD60M on ebay and paid and the guy screwed me over and decided not to sell or rather sold later to somone else at a hogher cost. I won the bid at a 100 bucks. I knew he wouldn't honor it. It sucked....he sucks!

ac4400_fant_media.jpg
f59fan.jpg
GP60 Fantasy.jpg
RF0211HOES44ACs.jpg

I wish someone would do this scheme in HO scale. Currently this scheme is done in O gauge by Lionel I think or MTH......

UP Legacy ES44AC #8149.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back