Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all,

Just going bonkers setting up the 2FA\MFA stuff for the city and needed a break.

JeffH: Don't bail just yet. We flare a bit into politics every once in a while. As far as smokers, I also have a Master built electric I don't use near enough. Wife got it shipped from Sam's Club a few years back on a special deal. My smoker has done several packer briskets (not all at once), Turkey, ribs and pork butts. I don't have a good covered area in which to use it as much as I'd like to. I have the ability to do up to 8 turkeys depending on size. The thing about electric smokers is they don't have the pink smoke ring, but the meat is just as tasty.

pink smoke ring,
Which has nothing to do with smoke.

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then played around with the miner's village and I think I have it figured out. Obviously, you can tell in the photos this is just the broad strokes at this time. I've ordered some leafy trees along with women and a laundry line scene. I already have children and dogs.

My wife told me she got notice that 9 years ago we took the RR vacation. We stopped at Blue Ridge, GA (excursion), Strasburg, Steamtown, Horseshoe Curve, and finally visiting relatives in eastern OH. The reason I mention this is my wife took a lot of photos. We were in the viewing area of Horseshoe Curve waiting on NKP 765 (with the Pennsy Heritage loco) that was doing a fan trip. My wife called me over to a bench and said she had something to show me. She proceeded to show me 20 photos of me taking photos of Pennsy equipment in the museum. I almost fell on the ground laughing. 😲 Good times.

Greg- PB works well for mice also.

Joe- Glad to see you had a stress-free day. Nice 1:1 photo.

IB Ken- I feel sorry for the widow. That is egregious government overreach.

Willie- Good start to another building.

James- Interesting looking locos.

Troy- Have enough for everyone? :)

Sherrel- I'm glad that things went well and that you continue to improve.

Dave- Nice layout shot.

layout48.jpg

layout49.jpg

layout50.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hello fellow modelers and smokers.

Consider this as traitorous. I don’t need my meat smoked and while I have supposely had excellent brisket at Black’s in San Marcos and Franklin’s in Austin neither did anything for my taste buds. The SIL thinks he is a budding smoker chef but…

I will take a charcoal grilled steak over brisket any day. Our son thinks I am crazy. He likes a smoked Buffalo steak the best, brisket is second on his list. When in Austin we always hit one or 2 places supposely renowned for their smoked meats. I do applaud your efforts though.
CD28D900-A032-47DE-8080-ACEAD57585A7.jpeg

Working on tree armatures, this group is 5-7” tall.

This is shows the branches off the main trunk. This batch of trees is 8 spins around my measuring template giving me a twisted trunk of 16 wires. I will usually twist the main trunk 1 to 2.5” coming out of the soil and branch off above that. This will get fleshed out by pulling the wires above 2” into individual branches.

Over the next few days I will show this guy becoming a tree. it is 93 degrees outside. They have lowered the high for the day, but it is 68 in the train room and it feels nice

TomO
1FEE5BE3-6D6F-47E9-B68E-DE49D4980AEC.png

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then played around with the miner's village and I think I have it figured out. Obviously, you can tell in the photos this is just the broad strokes at this time. I've ordered some leafy trees along with women and a laundry line scene. I already have children and dogs.

My wife told me she got notice that 9 years ago we took the RR vacation. We stopped at Blue Ridge, GA (excursion), Strasburg, Steamtown, Horseshoe Curve, and finally visiting relatives in eastern OH. The reason I mention this is my wife took a lot of photos. We were in the viewing area of Horseshoe Curve waiting on NKP 765 (with the Pennsy Heritage loco) that was doing a fan trip. My wife called me over to a bench and said she had something to show me. She proceeded to show me 20 photos of me taking photos of Pennsy equipment in the museum. I almost fell on the ground laughing. 😲 Good times.

Greg- PB works well for mice also.

Joe- Glad to see you had a stress-free day. Nice 1:1 photo.

IB Ken- I feel sorry for the widow. That is egregious government overreach.

Willie- Good start to another building.

James- Interesting looking locos.

Troy- Have enough for everyone? :)

Sherrel- I'm glad that things went well and that you continue to improve.

Dave- Nice layout shot.

View attachment 145831

View attachment 145832

View attachment 145833

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt - the miners addition is going to be super - can't wait to see it take shape

On Horseshoe Curve, I saw a PBS documentary in the engine cab taking a full string of coal from one end of the run to the next, sounds like a big hill involved based on the conversation...

One of the engineers couldn't be bothered by the ride along interviewer, and I get it, tough to concentrate and have fun. Impossible, I think.

and that run takes a lot of concentration

Dave LASM

But when she tried to get the County to approve the bill of sale, they refused to do it because the property description didn't match what was in their files [and what they'd been paying taxes on].
That reminds me of a fellow who lives near me, the father of one of my kids schoolmates. He had a relatively large property (or small ranch) with 45 acres and a nice two story house towards the back of the property, that his parents built in the late 40's. It was 40' x 40' with a wrap-around porch on both floors. He wanted a bigger house with insulated windows and walls, so he built an identical one at 50' x 50' directly in front of it, and then demolished the old one. Since it looked identical, the county assessor never realized what had been done. They still live there and their taxes are based on the 70+ year old house.

That reminds me of a fellow who lives near me, the father of one of my kids schoolmates. He had a relatively large property (or small ranch) with 45 acres and a nice two story house towards the back of the property, that his parents built in the late 40's. It was 40' x 40' with a wrap-around porch on both floors. He wanted a bigger house with insulated windows and walls, so he built an identical one at 50' x 50' directly in front of it, and then demolished the old one. Since it looked identical, the county assessor never realized what had been done. They still live there and their taxes are based on the 70+ year old house.

Watch what you say -- the assessor is probably a train nut on this forum and is now going to snoop around your neighborhood.

Afternoon my fellow MRRs. Ran into a wall of heat(90°+) when I walked out of work. SWBMO made me happy by both taking me to our local Mennonite store in Spencer & finding JFMartin scrapple. First place I’ve found scrapple in the nearly 10 years I’ve lived in North Central Wisconsin. I also picked up Lebanon bologna & some bacon cheddar… yummy on a BEC sammich.

Random thoughts for the day (aka 2 minutes inside Jeff's brain):

It's impossible to have a meaningful conversation with someone when that person listens to reply, rather than listening to understand.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Great minds talk about ideas. Average minds talk about current events. Small minds talk about each other.

Are you ever are curious who loves you more, your dog or your wife? Here's an experiment to help you figure that out: Lock both of them in the trunk of your car. Come back an hour later. Open the trunk, and see which one's happy to see you. Pretty sure it will be the dog.

Why are they called hemorrhoid's? Why not call them asteroids? Also, Preparation H doesn't work. I ate a whole tube and I still have hemorrhoids (where's my sign?). Which reminds me... Shouldn't "passing gas" be called "asphalt"?
Yeah... you should never let the facts get in the way of a good story, LOL!

JeffH- SWMBO just said “pretty sure not a jury in the world would convict”. You don’t want to spend too much time in Mike’s head. I subscribe to the theory about everything in the brain having its own separate box.
To quote Maxwell Scott in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance “when the legend becomes fact, print the legend”.

Last edited:
MIKE - That is such a funny skit about the "boxes".

Thank you all = It is nice to still be around. DAVE(Lasm) You have posted some really nice close-up photos - nice!

I actually was able to repair a couple of things around the house without very much stress. The real test will come tonight as I try and sleep without discomfort I hope.

That will catch up to them with back taxes, building permit violations, possible condemning the house until inspection is completed and possible charges for tax evasion.
Some folks think they're slick until the government catches on.

That will catch up to them with back taxes, building permit violations, possible condemning the house until inspection is completed and possible charges for tax evasion.
Some folks think they're slick until the government catches on.
This is Texas, not Virginia! No heavy-handed governmental agencies in the country. He did this over 35 years ago, and no building permits or inspections were required then. Even now only a septic permit is needed there. Across the county line where I live, there are not even septic permits, no building permits or inspections. Most people follow proper building codes anyway even though not required. If you put up a new building like my train shed, you just wait for the assessor to find it and then pay from then on. Like I posted in a previous post, my house was here for seven years before they noticed, even though I filed a proper deed transfer in another part of their office! Just like in politics, blame it on the predecessor.

One of the engineers couldn't be bothered by the ride along interviewer, and I get it, tough to concentrate and have fun. Impossible, I think.

and that run takes a lot of concentration
Dave: Train handling on the slope is tricky, one small lapse in judgment can cause the train to get away from the engineer. Some find it very stressful.

Curt:
Great idea, dividing the patch into a hill and a valley. Going to look great.

James: Great photo spread.

Stanley Cup Playoffs: Tampa beat the Leafs in OT 4-3, Boston :mad: beat the 'Canes 5-2 Both series now go to Game 7. The Blues are leading the Wild 2-0 in the 2nd, and the Oilers lead the Kings 1-0 at the end of the First.

MLB: Mets win 4-1; Orioles win 3-2; Phillies lead Dodgers 5-1 in the 4th, and Yankees - White Sox tied 7-7 in the 8th.

We went out, and bought our tomato plants (3), Pepper (1).and two strawberry vines. (Wife likes to grow them). Everything planted. Didn't spend time in the train room. I'll make time tomorow. Expecting a Kadee New Haven PS2 50' Double Door Box in the mail tomorrow also.

SA31 CSX 6228 Freehold Sec Monmouth Battlefield 05-11-2022 Michael Guida.jpg

SA-31 running Westward on the Freehold Secondary on 5/11/22 headed for Jamesburg. Will then run Eastward on the Amboy Secondary from Jamesburg to Browns. Photo by Michael Guida, was taken while the train was passing through the Monmouth Battlefield, near the Molly Pitcher memorial.

Just got back from the Broadway touring play, Dear Evan Hansen. 1st off I am not a theater snob. I go because it gets us out of the house, it is usually very good entertainment, we can afford it and Terry wants to go. Tonight I could have passed. I want to be entertained but I was not tonight. The sound was not good, the main character I thought was a hack when he sang. I don’t need to be preached in either words or song about how tough life is. This was not a uplifting or joy filled show. Suicide, anxieties and a story about lies is not for me.

The best part was we could not park in the normal structure we usually go to. We had to drive through some University of Wisconsin’s student housing so we parkEd in a structure further away. This forced us to drive the main thoroughfare on the way home through campus. It’s still in the high80’s and the tests and school are done and the kids were out celebrating. Boys and our Gal, Jaz, the campus ladies looked great and they were drunk tonight. I have not been medically cleared to drive yet! A great thing tonight as I could look! Terry was laughing as I might have been drooling a bit. Her comment was enjoy it now cause you ain’t going to when we get home tonight.

She’s watching TV, not our usual end to date night at the theater. Oh well!

Made some more wire armatures for trees today. These are a couple inches taller in the 5-7” range versus yesterday‘s 4-6”. Some more tomorrow just to finish off the reel of 22 gauge florist wire

TomO

A great thing tonight as I could look! Terry was laughing as I might have been drooling a bit. Her comment was enjoy it now cause you ain’t going to when we get home tonight.

She’s watching TV, not our usual end to date night at the theater. Oh well!

TomO
Tom, one of the things I learned during my first marriage many decades ago was the art of "not looking when you look"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back