Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks, all of you - whoever commented or clicked the button on my post with the Canon camera control software screenshots! Don't have enough time to name names, but you know who you are...

. . .
Just got our property tax bill. $748 this year, $730 ( me thinks ) last year. Ima wanting a garage and hope to do that this summer sometime. Suspect that the prop. taxes will grow somewhat when they figure out there is new stuff.
. . .
Todd, if the county you live in requires a building permit for a new garage, that's one way they'll know your property value has gone up...

I caught a Racoon once in my Have a Heart trap. That guy was snarling and screaming at me. I wanted to calm him down a bit before releasing him so he wouldn't come back around and go after me, so I put some tuna fish on a screwdriver to stick through the cage. At first he really went after the screw driver tip then realized it was kinda tasty. After a dozen or so little snacks of tuna fish, he became pretty docile and receptive to the treats, licking it off the screwdriver rather than biting at it. Eventually I was able to open the trap and let him go without having to fight him.
D&J Ken - From what you're describing, it sounds like that critter may have had rabies...[?]

Curt - bummer you had to cancel the retirement party and op session because of covid, but better safe than sorry I guess.

Didn't get a significant amount of mrr-related stuff done this afternoon/evening, had too many errands to run. But I did manage to apply a second billboard-size decal to the opposite end of my cement facility from where the other one is. Not an easy task, since it was a home-printed decal and these seem to want to curl back under themselves when I slide them off the backing paper. It took a lot of fiddling to make it lay flat on the target surface, and it tended to go out of alignment when I pushed the air bubbles out of it. Finally got it to the needed position though.

SummitCementNorthEnd.jpg

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks, all of you - whoever commented or clicked the button on my post with the Canon camera control software screenshots! Don't have enough time to name names, but you know who you are...

Todd, if the county you live in requires a building permit for a new garage, that's one way they'll know your property value has gone up...
IBKen: Nice decals. Did you use a laser or bubble jet to print them with? Been wanting to 'roll my own' for quite awhile and I suspect that it will get done sooner or later.

We live in the County so there are no building permits. If I want to put in a septic tank, that is a quick trip down to planning with drawing of the area showing any waterways, depressions or nearby wells and that can be done with crayons if that is all ya have. Then you tell them what you are putting in, how deep and where along with drain field, size of rock ... etc .. etc. I am told stories of the number of car bodies that have been buried just for this purpose. In fact, we have something buried in our front yard that has a ( for the lack of another word ) shadow later on in the summer where the grass does not grow the same as nearby stuff. It is pretty big, 6 by 20 ish if memory serves. Maybe one day I will get on the backhoe and find out what is there.

Well, howdy there internet people. It's Troy again.

Just sent messages to Smudge, Willie, and Sherrel with the link to the book their namesakes are in.

Anyone else who wants to read it needs to wait another 10 days. ;)

Hot and muggy - highs in the mid 80s today. It's 70 with 98% humidity in NE Indiana right now. Willie must have sent some of his Texas weather north.

Been painting up some Tommies for my WWII game. Heading to Detroit to help another gamer run a tourney for the game at a local convention.

Tommies.jpg

and I keep finding pesky mold lines on the models... grrrr.... no time to strip them and start fresh.

Mama bird didn't like me taking photos yesterday. I was doing some patio sitting, and went to get a photo from one end of the fence. She was ok with that, but when I tried to get one from the garage side, she flew off. Then she kept coming back and trilling at me.

In the back of the pic, you can see the wife's vegetable garden. Watermellons, zucchini, peppers and something else in each of those orange planters.

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 7.12.54 AM.png

Back to writing. This book is all about birds. I may put a mama bird in giving someone the stink eye, just to spite the one glaring at me yesterday.

Good morning from a warm at 5am So. Central Wisconsin, 72f degrees. That time and temperature knowledge is because I looked at the weather app as I was awake for the nature break. Rarely do I look at the cell phone before I get out of bed but it was still in the high 70’s at 11:30pm when I went to bed. Crawled back into bed until 5:30 when I got out of it. Right now 2 hours later it is 75 heading to 93f/33.8c degrees. Very humid already this morning. With the wind at a barely readable 2mph, it is not going to be a nice day. I am not one of those who in 30f degrees below yearn for 90’s. I could handle 75 all day every day. I do not enjoy these extremes.

Some train room time later today and maybe today just running the trains. I put in my pull out section across my entrance aisle yesterday so I could run on continuously. Nothing as cool in my world as that of hearing a train with its prime mover humming, steel wheels rolling with the clickey clack of wheels as it goes over turnouts and rail joints. Even better when it will go without attention and not derail. Yesterday I ran my 2 newest additions to the fleet. Athearn Genesis GP38-2’s with added Tsumani2 sound on decoder buddy boards, Scale Sound System speakers and Led lights all around. These locos were finished yesterday by finally hooking up the added rear ditchlights, step lights and replacement LEDs to the original front and rear head lights and front ditchlights. I have 2 Genesis Gp40-2w’s that are next and hopefully will be done this summer. I know sound is subjective but in my opinion the SSS speakers are the best. They create a rich and deeper tone compared to the ESU sugar cubes speakers that were very nice.

If any of you guys and gals like to tinker with your locomotives adding the NixsTrainz decoder buddy to a locomotive is a great thing. The lights are connected to a seperate board that disconnects when u remove the shell.So easy to add the step lights, beacons ditchlight, etc… additions. It is for DCC only.

Farmer Markets, at least 2 are on the morning agenda. No bundling up in winter gear like the past 2 Wednesdays. Shorts it will be!

Enjoy the day
TomO

Good Morning all!
30F with severe clear and no wind...yet. Got to 80F yesterday, suspect the same for today.

Back on the road tomorra; we think. Pick in Spo @ Cat heading for IL. Waited all week to get stuff outa the truck so now we are running around like headless chickens; don't get any ideas Gary! Washer/Dryer is being abused today! Truck isn't all that dirty as we have been opening the doors in BIG wind to blow out all of the crap. Rugs and bedding are next for me to get. Have to go to DoL and renew 2 of our 3 vehicles. Blazer not til we get back next time. Edge is still in KY, Santa Fe is here and they both expire end of this month.

Later

Well, howdy there internet people. It's Troy again.

Just sent messages to Smudge, Willie, and Sherrel with the link to the book their namesakes are in.

Anyone else who wants to read it needs to wait another 10 days. ;)

Hot and muggy - highs in the mid 80s today. It's 70 with 98% humidity in NE Indiana right now. Willie must have sent some of his Texas weather north.

Been painting up some Tommies for my WWII game. Heading to Detroit to help another gamer run a tourney for the game at a local convention.

View attachment 145728

and I keep finding pesky mold lines on the models... grrrr.... no time to strip them and start fresh.

Mama bird didn't like me taking photos yesterday. I was doing some patio sitting, and went to get a photo from one end of the fence. She was ok with that, but when I tried to get one from the garage side, she flew off. Then she kept coming back and trilling at me.

In the back of the pic, you can see the wife's vegetable garden. Watermellons, zucchini, peppers and something else in each of those orange planters.

View attachment 145729

Back to writing. This book is all about birds. I may put a mama bird in giving someone the stink eye, just to spite the one glaring at me yesterday.
Garden looking good, but no (continuing vein of picking on Troy - because he makes it easy lol, he can feel free to slap me) but there is a serious issue green fence,tick,pottery pots plants tick,those terracotta pots need something, what are you planning, something to enhance the bbq, herbs a pick and go service when cooking, come on divvy up..

Only got down to 36F over night. Up to 39F already.

Kids are sick (fever, sore throat, headache) and now the wife has a sore throat. Daughter starting to feel better (She woke up with this Monday). So far, I don't feel much of anything.

Having to re-do the house budget with all the market changes and get an extension on our construction loan. :(

In Virginia it's illegal to trap then transport elsewhere for release.
I had a sever squirrel problem at my previous house in Stafford, VA. I used a Have a Heart trap to capture them then drown them in a can of water. I would toss em out on the side lawn for the carrion to take away.
I drown rats, no issue, drip the whole cage in dunk….and yes I throw them out side the main garden area for anything willing to eat them…gross.
I remember when we had no trees then when we saw our first squirrel we thought it so cute, do not think it or it’s brothers sister in laws cousins and thrice removed kin cute anymore, plus they nibble the bark in winter damaging trees, little f…kers

Good Morning All, from Animal Kingdom central. Partly cloudy and a cooler 71° this morning. While it is still going to be in the 90's for the next few months, we're in for overnight lows in the upper 60's for a few days. Had to run the A/C at night for the past three days. Of course the NWS has been notoriously wrong on their high temperature forecast for at least a week, it has actually been cooler than predicted; yesterday was 88° instead of the 93° that was in the forecast. That 5° really made a difference.

I am continuing the task of mulching the garden and erecting tomato cages. It's not going as quickly as I would like.
I did pick a nice head of Romaine Lettuce yesterday. The picture doesn't do it justice.
IMG_0869.JPG

It is actually 14" tall but that picture didn't turn out well.
IMG_0870.JPG

So another critter that appeared yesterday that was slowly making its way across the yard near the wildflower meadow.
IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

A big juicy crayfish. I have had their "chimneys" bend lawnmower blades in the past when I ran over them. I am more careful now.

Thanks to all who liked or responded yesterday; James, Karl, Guy, Tom O, Steve J, Joe, Sherrel, Patrick, Hughie, Dave B, Louis, Jaz, Curt, IB Ken, Rick, Gary, Mikey.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I set the rehab structure to one side to dry and decided to start a new structure, DPM's 1 st National Bank.
IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

All that I did yesterday was remove all of those tabs and file all adjoining walls and bases flat. If you have built one of their structures before, you know what I mean.

OB Ken - What kind of wasps are you having trouble with. Other than Yellow Jackets, sometimes known as Paper Wasps, most wasps do not attack or sting humans. At least not the ones that populate my area. Bees can react differently.
Todd - Where I am at, the property tax appraiser have been both lax and quick to notice stuff. I don't need any permits for either building or installing stuff, so it's all visual. When I initially moved on to this property in 1981, I did all of the right stuff at the tax office which included the deeds for the house and land. For the first seven years, I was only taxed at $91/year. Then one day the appraiser knocked on my door, quite surprised that there was a house here. We talked and I showed him my deed with the county clerk's signature and seal on it, as well as my approved homestead exemption. He admitted that it was their fault that I was only paying taxes on 15 acres of agricultural land! He said that my taxes would go up now that he knew that there was a house there, but they couldn't go back for past due taxes. In the end, they went up to nearly $600/yr. They are now $798/yr for a four bedroom house, 15 acres, barn and the train shed. They caught the train shed when they used Google Maps. They initially charged it as a residence and I had her (tax appraiser) come out and verify that there was no plumbing so it didn't qualify as a residence. She reluctantly fixed it. Meanwhile even though I never needed any inspections or permits, all of my electrical and most of my plumbing meets all standard codes. My septic does not, but has worked for 41 years. All were installed by me.
Ken (D&J) - Income plays no role in senior exemption from property taxes here in Texas. Since we have no state income tax, they wouldn't know anyway.
My experience is that a raccoon in a trap wants no part of you when released. They immediately RUN out and away. As smart as they are, they don't associate you with the trap that they have been in; in my case it was probably 8 or more hours.
Guy - I'm seeing temperatures in the 90's, running the A/C, and getting ready to open the pool, and you are posting pictures of snow in the yard!!!o_O:eek::cool:
Tom O - There was enough tax protest in our county, that we had a rollback election that passed in 2010.
Joe - I have another of these Victorian houses that while needing detailing, doesn't require the repairs, quite minor actually. I'll be rehabbing the other one soon, but another project first.
Mike - Get well soon.
Hughie - You're a braver man than me, grabbing a raccoon!
Jeff - That's interesting that you have laws against relocating raccoons. Where are you?
Gary - Like Todd posted, it does take the chickens time to get used to new surroundings, and they have to be mature enough to lay eggs.
Todd - I didn't bother with plucking the chickens or ducks, I just ripped the skin off and the feathers came with it.
Interesting about the hearing aid battery. I no longer use the ones that use the 312 batteries, but the 13's that I use look the same.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

A big juicy crayfish. I have had their "chimneys" bend lawnmower blades in the past when I ran over them. I am more careful now.
Willie: Interesting, I've not seen Crayfish out of the water. Not from the South, but as a kid in New England we would catch crayfish in the streams and dam overflow areas. Most were small but occasionally we'd find a big one.

Thanks for the pics.

Morning all,

In late as I had stuff to accomplish this morning before work and been busy since I got here.

Partly Cloudy and 78° currently going for a high of 90°.

Grandson gets confirmed this evening, so a late nigh for the wife and myself. Should get home about 8:30ish, which is a half hour after we turn off the lights.

Willie: Nice picture of the crayfish. they don't just live in water. See them in the middle of pastures sometimes. Especially after rains. wonder what they live on.

Garden looking good, but no (continuing vein of picking on Troy - because he makes it easy lol, he can feel free to slap me) but there is a serious issue green fence,tick,pottery pots plants tick,those terracotta pots need something, what are you planning, something to enhance the bbq, herbs a pick and go service when cooking, come on divvy up..
Her garden (the orange pots are plastic) not mine. I'm not doing a thing with them.

If it were up to me, we'd have more blue pots full of pretty flowers, not a farm on a patio.

But, it's her hobby, not mine. So I salute and say "Yes Dear. Whatever makes you happy."

@santafewillie I'm in Central Ohio. It's a state law enforced by the Ohio DNR, Division of Wildlife.

"Nuisance or sick raccoons may be trapped without a permit, but it is illegal to live trap and relocate them to a new area. In order to prevent the possible spread of raccoon diseases in Ohio, all live trapped raccoons must be released again on the homeowner's property or humanely euthanized. Consult your district wildlife office for further information."

On another note, it is a beautiful day here in Columbus, Ohio. My daughter gets home from a trip to Florida this evening, so I'm working late today and will pick her up at the airport this evening. She's in her last year at Ohio Dominican University's Physician Assistant Program. and had 2 weeks off during a "shared" rotation at a local trauma center.

Our oldest is getting married in a few weeks in Savannah, Georgia. Any railfanning spots in that area?

Todd - Where I am at, the property tax appraiser have been both lax and quick to notice stuff. I don't need any permits for either building or installing stuff, so it's all visual. When I initially moved on to this property in 1981, I did all of the right stuff at the tax office which included the deeds for the house and land. For the first seven years, I was only taxed at $91/year. Then one day the appraiser knocked on my door, quite surprised that there was a house here. We talked and I showed him my deed with the county clerk's signature and seal on it, as well as my approved homestead exemption. He admitted that it was their fault that I was only paying taxes on 15 acres of agricultural land! He said that my taxes would go up now that he knew that there was a house there, but they couldn't go back for past due taxes. In the end, they went up to nearly $600/yr. They are now $798/yr for a four bedroom house, 15 acres, barn and the train shed. They caught the train shed when they used Google Maps. They initially charged it as a residence and I had her (tax appraiser) come out and verify that there was no plumbing so it didn't qualify as a residence. She reluctantly fixed it. Meanwhile even though I never needed any inspections or permits, all of my electrical and most of my plumbing meets all standard codes. My septic does not, but has worked for 41 years. All were installed by me.
Ya, that is another thing here ( and looks like TX ) that we really like. You can go to whatever government office and actually talk with somebody that can do something within minutes of getting there. They can almost immediately fix stuff too.

Our property tax is based on a 5 bedroom home, couple of out buildings besides the Train Cave and just over 3 acres. When we get off the road we will do the homestead act also. Not sure yet what will fall out of that. Next is the VA and see what I can do for 1/3 disability which would pretty much 0 our tax liability. I am from the Agent Orange era and although I do not know if I was near the stuff abet I have all the stuff associated with it. Time will tell.

Like you, all I put in the house new is up to code, sometimes better. A few years back I ask the local electric provider what would be required to install solar, not feeding back to the grid. At that time the guesstimate was $10K and that did not include the various glue electronics. Going to revisit this next spring/summer as the Fed has gotten its hands in it and looks to be requiring the local monopolies to allow stuff on the cheap. Has to be installed at demark by a qualified electrician, but everything on my side of demark is mine to play with. We are thinking about Generac with backup generator, batteries and a few PV's of which they will get stuff done proper and tidy. Then we can add more PV and batteries at a later time. I have a 20x40 south facing roof that is wanting something on it. Don't worry, I lick my fingers before I start playing around with 200A:).

After a trip to Costco

Wife has two new big bottle of Kirkland Rum

And I have a brisket. Prime, and not choice. Interestingly, the prime, full brisket was less than just a choice cut brisket-flat. So, tomorrow I'll be smoking my first full packer brisket. Up til now, I've only done flats.

as for property assors, wife is dealing with an issue on her mother's property. Subdividing a farm field up across about 70+ years has some messy property lines. MIL owns a field that she's keeping (farm-rental income from it). But is selling off the attached home and building lot.

Surveyor was out yesterday, and sunk the stakes JUST for the home's lot. Over the years, the family memory combined the access to get back to the farm field into the home's lot. They mow it, care for it, etc. The farmers enter from the back side of the field, where a county road runs. No need for that access from the home side.

So, now they need to get an attorney to draw up the request to pull that path wide enough for a combine to drive down, into the home property, but keep the farm field proper off the home's lot.

So, sale of the home may delay a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back