Running Bear's April 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
GREG - Welcome to the club. I finally resorted to having all mine done at the same time, but here it is 30 years past and I cannot remember how many were left.
Biggest problem I can remember is that a couple of them shattered and several trips were necessary over a few weeks in order to extract the fragments as they surfaced - fortunate that I was only a couple miles from my dentist.

Karl:

253831011_1467708013613068_7080765848869521204_n.jpg

Good morning all! 34 degrees now and heading for sunny and 60. We got a lot of rain and heavy wind yesterday and last night but fortunately the worst storms missed us. Probably have some sticks and small limbs down outside but no real damage.

I think this infection in my eyes is getting worse instead of better. I've been using the eye drops the nurse practitioner at convenient care prescribed but they don't seem to be helping. Going to see about getting an appointment with an eye doctor. This constant burning and watering is making me crazy(er).

Lots of projects to work on right now at the job and I'm loving it. So happy I got this position.

Hope you all have a great day!
Ken
If you accidentally infected the dropper so it’s in the bottle, ie touching dropper to eye, you might need a new bottle,
try running the dropper under hot water and washing the exterior of the bottle,
regularly washing hands to stop reinfecting one eye if the other actually gets better is bad too,
salt water might help but best but the mixture would be safer on cotton wool on the outside when eye shut if eyes are crusting,
had you contaminated the eyes originally with foreign matter, using a eye wash and cleansing out over and over may help,
but eyes are so important I think the eye doctor sounds the best solution.
Really sympathise as I hate anything going wrong with my eyes.
wash hands last with plain water. Is something on your hands the irritant, sometimes
one last weird one,gave you had any new clothes recently that you gave not yet washed,sonetimes chemicals from new clothes can effect the skin, or a new detergent may irritate, you would be amazed at the weird and wonderful ways the environment screws with us.

Good morning all,

31° and cloudy with some off and on snow flurries.

Flo - I would like a cup of hot coffee and some coconut cream pie. Thank you

Supposed to have chilly weather here for a week, below average temps. Its been that way since January, I believe. I think it is the coldest winter in at least the last 8 years. Where are the greenhouse gasses when you need them? I guess they are busy melting the glaciers. 😩

I got in the train room, put down another batch of hydrocal after supper. At this rate, working weeknights, the hydrocal may be done early next week.

Ken - the watery eyes are not nice. Possibly allergic to the prescription on top of whatever is really wrong

Patrick - we are off to Arkansas for vacation, leaving in a week or so. It is for the wife (although she is retired and me working to pay bills), otherwise I would stay home and work on projects.

Willie - amazing about the little spiders. They would fit right in if it was an abandoned building.

Smudge - glad you are able to salvage the engine house. The painting you are doing adds a lot to the project.

Here is the second batch of hydrocal for this week "overtime" work on layout

View attachment 144459

I watered down the paper towel first this time, was able to smooth out the mud with my fingers. This stuff was hard in an hour.

more later, Dave LASM
Yes allergy is possible for the eyes.

Afternoon Folks.

The Cricket is on so I will be brief, nothing much going on in my part of the world, had a lazy morning, stayed in bed late, always nice to be on holiday even if I'm not going anywhere. I'll do a little more work on the layout tonight, but that's about all that's planned.

I've posted a few foto's over in the weathering section, you can't miss it, any comments or suggestions on my first attempt at this are more than welcome.

Enjoy.
I see an ex ‘English’ cricketer has been bowled out (Pakistan) can’t say I sympathise.

Good Morning folks.
Only 14F out there, even though the sun's trying to make a difference. The sun's warming rays just can't cut through that artic air.

Karl - I'm also very sad that your loyal friend has gone. I'm betting she was greeted by those faithful who were waiting for her in puppy heaven.

TomO - Don't feel bad about spending less time on the forums. There's healthier, better things to do. Now that I have a layout table to work with, and a dog to walk, I'll be spending less time with my face planted in a computer screen, as well. I intend to just pop in when I've got some decent photos or layout work to present.

I'm working away on my new layout, trying to get some track down. It's taking me longer than I thought it would. I question everything, though. Is this the way?, Is there a better way?, How to do this, How to do that? ; I'll get through it with a bit of effort.

Here's where I left it yesterday:
View attachment 144450
Not very far, at all, and I'm running out of Peco track joiners that I mistakenly thought I had lots of. Oh well, the order is in and I'll have to wait a week before they arrive along with some other stuff. No problem, I can always resume building the 3rd class depot and build the bridge I'll need. - I don't think there's any down time in this hobby.

The dog's looking at me with expectation. This dog can tell time, and she knows it's time to go for a walk. She also knows what time the wife gets home from work, and waits by the door.

Have a good one!
Mum mum I have had my legs crossed for ages,he is obsessed with that Railway, please walk me,feed me, stroke me, slap him for playing trains…..giggles

speaking of cricket...

My first cozy mystery included the ghost of the "Most cricket of cricket players"

And the reviews, because the setting was technically on the Welsh side of Offa's Dike was that Welsh prefer Rugby... why didn't the author cover Rugby instead of Cricket?

Being American, Rugby isn't even on my sportsball radar, though it is played some here (got a friend who's a coach for his son's high school team in the Virginia area)

Is there any award or concept in Rugby that compares to the idea of "being the most cricket of cricket players"?
That was the entire core of this character's character. He was sooooooo Cricket.

speaking of cricket...

My first cozy mystery included the ghost of the "Most cricket of cricket players"

And the reviews, because the setting was technically on the Welsh side of Offa's Dike was that Welsh prefer Rugby... why didn't the author cover Rugby instead of Cricket?

Being American, Rugby isn't even on my sportsball radar, though it is played some here (got a friend who's a coach for his son's high school team in the Virginia area)

Is there any award or concept in Rugby that compares to the idea of "being the most cricket of cricket players"?
That was the entire core of this character's character. He was sooooooo Cricket.
Years ago when I worked for another company, they had a contract with the USAAF doing work in and out of the various bases in East Anglia, On one occasion a debate got started between a Master Sargent and one of the drivers about American Football versus Rugby (the usual banter which was harder,tougher that sort of thing).

The Sargent was on the Base Football team and the driver was a coach for a local Rugby team, as things do, one thing led to another,, and a challenge was issued, two games, one of American Football and one of Rugby between the local rugby team and the base team (I think the prize was a couple of crates of beer)

About two months later, everything was arranged and as word had got out a large contingent of supporter's turned up both local and from the base, even the base commander turned up.

First match was American Football, we expected a high casualty rate as Football is a hard game, and they knew the rules, local lads not so much. The game started, and after about 20 mins or so there was short break, (not sure why, I have no clue about american football), anyway the local lads had had enough of running around dressed in all the padding and helmets, everything needed to protect the players from injury and removed pretty much all of it.
The match resumed with a lot of misgivings obviously, because you can, and do, get seriously hurt in Football despite all the protection the players wear.
Long story short, the base team won by 2 points, no one was seriously injured, and they all got drunk afterwards.

The follow up game never happened, it seems the base commander wouldn't allow it, citing that he couldn't allow the game, as some of the players were "instrumental to the operational abilities of the base". 🙃

Last edited:
Morning all,

Went home early yesterday with a severe migraine. First time spots blinded my left side and pain hit on the right. Still shaking off the effects if I turn too quick or bend over. Turns out the oldest daughter went home yesterday afternoon with a migraine as well. Otherwise back in the office. Short day today, as always on a Friday. Supposed to be in the upper 70's later today. Currently 51° and partly cloudy.

Willie: A song for your little friend...

Good morning all! Sunny and 49 on the way to sunny and 65 with a chance of showers later. Enjoying a paid day off for Good Friday, although the college doesn't call it that to avoid offending anyone. That is definitely an advantage to working there....lots of paid holidays.

Had another good day at work yesterday. Had to attend a graduation committee meeting and learned a little about what's expected of me for that day. Have to get up to speed pretty quick on how to set up some of their equipment for streaming the ceremony and for running audio.

If you accidentally infected the dropper so it’s in the bottle, ie touching dropper to eye, you might need a new bottle,
try running the dropper under hot water and washing the exterior of the bottle,
regularly washing hands to stop reinfecting one eye if the other actually gets better is bad too,
salt water might help but best but the mixture would be safer on cotton wool on the outside when eye shut if eyes are crusting,
had you contaminated the eyes originally with foreign matter, using a eye wash and cleansing out over and over may help,
but eyes are so important I think the eye doctor sounds the best solution.
Really sympathise as I hate anything going wrong with my eyes.
wash hands last with plain water. Is something on your hands the irritant, sometimes
one last weird one,gave you had any new clothes recently that you gave not yet washed,sonetimes chemicals from new clothes can effect the skin, or a new detergent may irritate, you would be amazed at the weird and wonderful ways the environment screws with us.
Thanks for the info! Pretty sure I never touched the dropper to my eyes. I've got an appointment with an eye doctor today so hoping I can get some relief soon.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good Morning All!! - and what a beautiful morning it is in the 20F temps under a dark, cloudy sky and expecting light snow.
Let it come, I have a layout to work on in a cozy, temperature controlled, artificially lite basement, where I can't see outside from. I can create my own little world where the snow never falls and there's no such thing as a snow-shovel.
Yippee! After a lifetime of working as a tradesman out in the cold, I'm finally free!
Layout_04-14-2022 (4).JPG

Layout_04-14-2022 (5).JPG

Today, I can work on replacing missing ties, wiring up the new track and committing to a live test, installing Caboose switch throws, and building a 20" bridge. There's no shortage of projects now. - I can't continue laying more track until a package comes in the mail. I need rail-joiners and a couple of different switches.
I noticed that posted photos of projects from different modellers, often include paint pot examples from the Citadel line. Thought I'd give them a try, and purchased some while in the city the other day. I bought these specifically for figure painting.
Citadel_04-13-2022.JPG

Willie - Hard to say looking at a PC, but, hte yellow looks like Santa Fe yellow to me. - I thought the web looked a great part of the layout.

Dave B - Your layout progress photo's are very welcome - they are inspiring and timely in my case.

Greg - Wow, 8 teeth at once sounds torturously painful. I'm trying to keep all of mine as long as I can; self-defence tool, ya know.

Jaz avalley - Well done on the locomotive paint. The loco looks like a 'Thomas and Friends' engine. Kids don't like that show; adults just think kids like that show.

OBTC - I was going to comment on the 'avoid offending anyone', but, I'd better keep my mouth shut. Those subjects create to much heat.

Well, I want to walk the dog and get to my hobby. The wife is at work, so I have free time for awhile.

Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back