Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard on Bloomberg news radio a commentator who believes the value of apple will surpass four trillion dollars in the next year! Apparently 2021 was meager year for new apple products. He predicts even more for this year. So much for a slow economy.

I'm happy to say of the insanely large cash reserves apple has, not one dollar of it came directly from me. 😁

Corel is the current distributor. While it's still oriented toward Lawyers and PHDs, it is updated annually, and some of the most annoying features are less annoying. Perhaps the crudest part is how it handles PDF files. But it works for my purposes, and doesn't hold me hostage for an annual fee. I'm a spreadsheet user, and Quatro Pro works well for me. At best, it's on a par with Excel, but I haven't used Exceel for a few years now. BTW, come February, I'm two upgrades behind. I rarely use the presentation program, but it reads Power Point.

Ah, Corel is still doing it. At first they made a go to continue the business and growth and had a large portion of the WP campus down in Orem. But slowly they moved the work to Canada and started more or less just maintaining it and milking it from what I could see.

I think my sister (a PhD type) still uses it as well. (Again, I am not knocking it -- I don't use either WP or Word).

Just read the Wikipedia entry. Interesting history after I left and they left Utah (and my friends who had stayed were all gone)...

Good morning y'all. 30° and holding, sunny with a strong West wind. Early part of the week is going to feel like winter.

I'm happy that I amused some folks by my stubborn resistance to Microsoft's extortion, by using WP. :rolleyes: What can I say, I'm cheap!

02-01-1979 Airline JC Toledo OH GE S2 electric.jpg

On the way to the junk yard, NYC S2 motor photographed in Toledo OH on 02/01/1979. Some of you may recognize this as the Prototype for Lionel's tinplate electrics of the 1930s and 1940s.

After the puck was dropped 12-30-2010.jpg

This is Hockey...Rangers vs. Devils 12/30/2010 at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. Taken from my seat in Section 6.

I'm a Cricket fan, but never ever watch a test match, most boring thing ever, try the IPL, 3 hrs of your life, admittedly, but I think you'd enjoy that.
I used to like watching show jumping,which is weird as I hate anything higher than a Cavaletti jump say 18 inches 2 feet tops. I did dressage for years, but watching it bores me silly except for the leg extensions because I never rode the level to do the really good stuff, and the one time I jumped 5ft and 6ft high was when some idiot told me to get the wrong grey, and despite pulling the reins rearly hard one of the staff had to jump out and capture the creature. My seat was sound, and I did not fly off,but frankly jumping that high is so NOT my choice. I fancied the coach driving but did not have the money or contacts, had I lived in the US I think I would have pushed for the single horse and the racing buggy behind, now THAT always looked fun.
I watched tennis, but only whilst at home with my mother,once I left home never bothered,but hey ho I liked sitting there while she discussed the pros and cons.
Iplayed badminton with the slow ball,never got the bugger to come back,later as in one hour of completely exhausting our selves we found out you start with the fast ball, we decided disco dancing was definitely more enjoyable and our scene, although we had tonnes of guys stopping by the glass behind the badminton court, offering to come down and help,one did mention we had the wrong coloured ball, shame he never said why!
I pretty much think I would have wanted to be a cheerleader if I had been at a school with American football. Unfortunately, or fortunately for my education, I was stuck in a single sex school, college/uni on the other hand was very much mixed Ed :D Wiggles eyebrows.

Apologies to Troy, just scroll by I won’t mind. sniggers.

The spousal Unit said: "Cancel this stupid order immediately" ! That's what I've done.:rolleyes::oops:o_O
so her hobbies are important? How much does she spend on kitchen stuff she barely uses, I am soooo guilty, surprisingly so is the spousal unit, he likes the idea,trials it out,calls it a success, then leaves,he does not actually cook, he just likes to test out it works,then looks hopefully,homemade sausages,done,but the time and effort,and consistency is not so easy. Cider,wine,apple juice,home made lasagna (he really on like spaghetti) bbq, unlike most blokes he likes to instruct me how to cook,not actually cook,getting a full English breakfast eggs:white cooked hold runny;bacon;sausages;beans;tomatoes;black pudding;hash browns or other potato option;toast;mushrooms,ready and all warm is something he knows he can do he just doesn’t plan to prove it any time soon.

Good morning all,

looks like an early crowd, it is -24 here with wind chill about -40. Made it to work, only met about 8 cars and caught up to about 6 others on my 60 mile commute. Pretty rural area.

Smudge - I am not much of a fan of any sports. Sometimes I do enjoy reading the banter about it, however!

I am getting stuff transferred to the new layout table top - it is going to be a good time to touch up some of the buildings.

Here is a shot of some dusty stuff. No use cleaning them until it is time to set them in place and have the landscaping done around them:

View attachment 138532

This height is 48" which will be a dream to work under. My last one was 36 or 38, which was easy to reach, however I find I have to do very little bending when working on scenery

Have a good day

Dave LASM
My build back better layout height is 5 ft. I can sit in a chair and do all the wiring sitting down. That's everything track, signals, RR crossing everything sitting down. My back is so happy about this.
George

Last edited:
Still shocked as to how much folks will pay for his stuff. He is a Model Railroader legend that MR created and that’s good for him. It is my understanding he is a great guy besides a good modeler.

TomO

You know the old saying:

Find one thing that you enjoy and do well with....craft it and make it your own where no other can replicate it. Whether it be art, craft or a trade. Profit from it for your enjoyment or not. What you do with your skill is up to you......

This guy is.... as I said a retired art teacher. Can you blame him though? Nope I cannot. Good for him. We should all be so lucky to find that one thing you do and have it either provide you with monies or enjoyment or both.....

Did a real dumb thing early this morning. I do all the cooking in the house now because my wife hasn't been up to it lately. I tried making some pancakes that didn't turn out all that well, so I washed the skillet for a second try. I placed the dish washing soap near the syrup. Then without thinking I picked up the dish washing soap in stead of the syrup and put it on the pancakes. I took one bit and said to myself, what did you just do? I washed out my mouth and thought what a dumbass. My only defense is the two were almost the same color. My brain had one focus point, the pancakes that how things like this happen.
George

Did a real dumb thing early this morning. I do all the cooking in the house now because my wife hasn't been up to it lately. I tried making some pancakes that didn't turn out all that well, so I washed the skillet for a second try. I placed the dish washing soap near the syrup. Then without thinking I picked up the dish washing soap in stead of the syrup and put it on the pancakes. I took one bit and said to myself, what did you just do? I washed out my mouth and thought what a dumbass. My only defense is the two were almost the same color. My brain had one focus point, the pancakes that how things like this happen.
George

Well you will have an extra sparkle in your smile :D squeaky clean too! 😝

Good morning y'all. 30° and holding, sunny with a strong West wind. Early part of the week is going to feel like winter.

I'm happy that I amused some folks by my stubborn resistance to Microsoft's extortion, by using WP. :rolleyes: What can I say, I'm cheap!

View attachment 138546
On the way to the junk yard, NYC S2 motor photographed in Toledo OH on 02/01/1979. Some of you may recognize this as the Prototype for Lionel's tinplate electrics of the 1930s and 1940s.

View attachment 138547
This is Hockey...Rangers vs. Devils 12/30/2010 at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. Taken from my seat in Section 6.
So Boris I don't see any steam generator stacks on the engine, so this was a freight switcher? It looks like the loco they used to switch out Gand Central Terminal with. It has the 3rd rail pickup shoes? George

PC_4710.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back