Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
An auspicious day today as I celebrate the completion of the year 70 around the sun. Notable birthday gift last night was a $50 gift certificate to the LHS. Inching forward although I don't think that I will catch up to Sherrel anytime soon.
Willie- Happy Birthday! Keep striving to follow Sherrel's aging program, as he has been successful for years.

The Holiday train show at the children's museum concluded Sunday. Monday was tear down day to get our three layouts returned to the basement.
Only 6 retired old farts showed up to move the layouts, so it took about 5 hours to move all the equipment off the 3rd floor so another display can be set up on Thursday. It took a little while for the McWane workers to remove the glass barriers, but we gathered rolling stock and other "junk" to move it to the basement. The layouts look kinda naked without barriers and clothe skirts.
1.3.22  tear down lgw.jpg

And the HO layout with half of the sections removed.

1.3.22 half way lgw.jpg

Good Morning All. Clear and 32° on the way up to 63° later today. Then it's another roller coaster week, going down to 21° Thursday, up to 65° Saturday, etc.

Finally did the belated Christmas get-together with our two daughters and their families yesterday evening. Drinks and appetizers, gift exchange, then prime rib dinner with the usual trimmings and wine. Dessert with champagne, see below. I mostly received train stuff and a new supply of tee shirts.

An auspicious day today as I celebrate the completion of the year 70 around the sun. Notable birthday gift last night was a $50 gift certificate to the LHS. Inching forward although I don't think that I will catch up to Sherrel anytime soon.

Regarding dental implants: I am really pleased with mine. Pricey, yes. The dentist that I see is really a high class guy and was very upfront about the implants and other options. I have had no issues, and I was accepting of the long wait between the various phases of surgery. We spread it out over three years and did a few crowns in between. That way my measly dental insurance covered part of it at the rate of $1500 a year. Two of the crowns eventually broke because he said that the lab that made them took some shortcuts. He replaced both of them at no charge, and he said that he quit using that lab prior to either of mine breaking. He verified that none of my remaining seven were made by that lab. Regarding the high cost, I understand his position. Prior to taking on a partner recently, he had eight staff members to support, including two hygienists. In addition to the added dentist, he had to hire three more staff members and equip two more rooms with stuff. Besides being a dentist, he is also an oral surgeon so it is a one-stop shop. Sorry to read of other's misfortunes with theirs.

Thanks once again for the likes and comments regarding the Bar Mills structure from the archives; James, Guy, Patrick, Karl, Steve J, Dave, Chad, Sherrel, Justin, Hughie, Gary, Jaz, Curt, Louis, Tom, Rick, OB Ken.

Make it a Mexican omelet this morning Flo. Spicy salsa and OJ to go with it.

No train shed time yesterday due to being out of town. No pictures today either, as my wife is calling and I don't have time to search the archives. Sorry about that Guy!

OB Ken -

Sadly I thought that the Affordable Care Act was supposed to take care of that. Maybe just for illegal immigrants?
Patrick - Coming along nicely on the handrails.
Tom O - Excellent scrap loads and weathered gondolas.
George - Sorry to read of your delays with the implants, but if your jaw isn't ready, then it is best to wait, rather than to have a negative experience.
Tom - I like both the scrap loads and the pipe loads. It was dumb of me to not realize the value of the scraps from the machine shop when I still worked. We had an extensive one and I saw those scraps under the milling machines all of the time. At least I got over a dozen small blocks of tool steel that I use as weights and props when I build models.
Hughie - What a great story about your grandfather. My father's father invented the Heisman Trophy as part of a team at the Downtown Athletic Club in NYC, back in '35. As part of our family heirlooms, we have autographed programs from the first seven recipients.
Guy - I do use Woodland Scenics fine ballast for gravel roads. For asphalt roads, I mostly use tar paper, sometimes called roofing felt, for those roads. A few that are in the far reaches of the layout are just asphalt paint directly on plywood, as are a few parking lots. I have a partial roll of the tar paper leftover from home repairs, but one could easily pick up scraps from a residential building site, at least here in the states.
Troy - The plan for the MIL seems to be an ideal one. Now the hard part, implementation.
Moermusic - Now that's just dumb to get a finger caught in a log splitter. All of the ones that I have seen had two-handed controls to prevent that. They must have been operating together. Still dumb.

If I recall correctly, today is the latest sunrise of the year. While the daylight hours have been getting longer, it's because the sunsets have been getting later. Earliest sunset was about two weeks prior to the solstice on December 7.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and warm.

Willie Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day! You will have to share what you got with that gift card!

Morning All!

-17F under a cloudy sky, but, those who are supposed to be in the know say it's not going to snow again.
I need to go clean up the old peoples walks.
Then, I'm headed downtown to get my 3rd shot. - According to the anti-vaxers, I won't be back because the third shot is committing suicide. Or at least, it's going to turn me into a robot slave for the government. So, I suppose by 3pm I'll either be dead or will do anything you'all ask. Just don't ask me to shovel snow; please!

Willie & Sherrel - Thanks! As a matter of fact, I have a 1/2 roll of roofing tar paper in the shed. I'm going to rip off a strip, and see how it works out. I'll paint it 'anthracite' though, instead of leaving it black.

Happy Birthday, Willie. That's another day I don't celebrate, though. I can't figure out why people celebrate getting older!

Not much time right now, so I'm just going to leave another re-run photo, and head over to clean up that walk.
A pair of SD40-2w's. I hate the NA map paint job, but, I like the weathering.
Pic 10.JPG

Have a great day, one and all!

I suspect he won’t be able to resist

p.s. Gotta feelin Christian will be back.
Hello Happy Fellow modelers !
By popular request I'm back on the track but only as a reader. I don't have a layout and probably never will. Just a small test track for watching my trains rolling through. So I'll never post the photos of my oval test track again.
I don't want to bother you again with it.
Now it's up to you. Don't be too cruel. And...fire at will !

BACK !.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Happy Fellow modelers !
By popular request I'm back on the track but only as a reader. I don't have a layout and probably never will. Just a small test track for watching my trains rolling through. So I'll never post the photos of my oval test track again.
I don't want to bother you again with it.
Now it's up to you. Don't be too cruel. And...fire at will !
Come on, be truthful. You forgot your password again!

Morning RR fans! It is 35F here this morning - supposed to climb to 61F under a bright sunny sky.

I have caught TomO's non-sleeping aliment. Been up since 1:30 our time. Bad news - I have a list of projects, and will likely not get anything done!
Had a cup of coffee waiting on someone to open the door to the shop? Need another!
Geez, I don’t wish not sleeping on anyone. I am physically and mentally a mess due to lack of sleep. Started 11/30/2021 and I have been keeping the family care team and my Endocrinologist busy the past month. Modeling has run in small quick spurts as In the train room I think I could sleep

TomO

This snow is like wet concrete. 50 miles of I-95 interstate has been closed down since last night. Thousands of cars and trucks all over the road. Can't get a plow through because of the vehicles. Hundreds out of gas, no food or water and miles from anything.
Of course this is being blamed on the incoming Governor who will swear in next week.

Good Morning all! What a beautiful day. Sun is shining and temp at 55F. Predictions are a warming trend then another cold front pushes through.
Flo, my favorite please, breakfast tacos and coffee, please.

Jaz - I hope you don't spend to much time ogling men in their bikini's. I personally didn't care for the bright colors. LOL
Christian - That was a short hiatus, welcome back. I was sitting here typing and a realized my layout is basically 2 ovals, albeit they are 11 foot long.
Willie - Happy Birthday from one damn yankee to another. For those of you that do not know, a damn yankee is a yankee that visits Texas and stays.
Guy - Since I use Kato Unitrack I didn't want to ballast the track. Think here is if I wanted to rebuild at a later date it would be very difficult to remove track and reuse. I have remodel 3 time. So, to give the track a set in place look I use a brown ballast along the sides of the Unitrack. And like Willie I use fine gray ballast as gravel for unpaved roads and some parking lots..
1641316838583.jpeg

Hope to get a little more done on Wanda's.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back