Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTE: I have had dentures for 27 years as I had lousy rotten, broken, and crooked teeth. I love them, and have only been disappointed that I cannot remember to NOT eat almonds as I have broken out teeth twice on them. One other time I was trying to bite off a tough piece of steak and simply pulled out a tooth. Dentist said that it should not have pulled out and no charge for that one. As I stated before - I need a new set as my gums have shrunk - I was quoted 2500 for the new set. No implants for me!

AND, WILLIE: No, they are not wooden. I am not as old as George W!

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Ran some errands and did a couple of chores. I cleaned the mainline on the layout with my CMX cleaning car. I couldnt believe how dirty it was. I ended running 12 circuits with 3 different pads. The car was pushed by the F3 ABA set. I discovered another problem on the layout. Two of the dwarf signals I placed (by the mine) were too close to the tracks requiring them to be removed. Of course I destroyed one removing it:rolleyes: Also when cutting the signal wires under the layout I cut the wrong wires requiring a repair job. The last couple of weeks on the layout have really s****d. I think Murphy is here.

In other modeling news I read through the REA instructions (looks very complicated) and I mixed the Tamiya Red paint with black to get the color I wanted. Both are Tamiya flat colors. The Tamiya flat green just arrived at the house so the paint is ready to go.

Terry- I'm very sorry for your loss.

Hughie- Nice job on the stairs. I always tend to have issues with them.

Joe- Neat photo.

Justin- I'm very sorry for your family passings. I know it has to be extremely hard. I'm glad you are posting again. Take your lessons learned from this layout to improve your next one.

Patrick- You're making good progress on the SD9.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Doug- What a cool letter.

James- What is the setting to do this? When I finish with a loco I turn off the lights, and use function 8 on the keypad to mute the sound. The problem is that when I start up the layout the sound on most engines come back on.

Guy- Nice photo. Try to stay warm.

TomO- Great pictures and details. Even when I was a kid the Vikings always seemed to loose the big game.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Plus I am banned from wellies the ortho paediatric said not enough support for my ankle, I have the ones the marines like 1 and 1/2 sizes too big so I get in 2 pairs of socks,for warm tootsies, if you have not guessed I hate the cold.
My daughters were born and raised in South Africa, so you can imagine what they think of our "summer", they still were jersey's, jackets, plus duvets, and thats indoors.😂

Good Afternoon Everyone in Model Railroad Land. Sunny and seasonal after the moderate snowfall over the weekend.

TomO: I really like your gondolas with the material for recycling. The gons were weathered perfectly with the rust tones. I especially like the last photo of the end shot of then gon!!!

Speaking of implants, Cathy had one installed for a front tooth after the dentist made a mistake and broke her tooth and tried to cover it up. The dentist refunded Cathy's money for the work and now she has a dentist that she trusts. I need a lot of dental work and rather face a man with a gun pointed at me than see a dentist. Implants will not be my route for a new mouth due to the expense and time. Dental work way over priced.

Got a call yesterday afternoon to meet a good friend from the cabin area and his friend at a local pub near our home. He was a best friend of my late cousin and now we are all good friends.

Justin: Welcome back and sorry about your losses.

I never heard or seen this railroad and I assume it's a upper mid-western short-line. A few of their cars would be a natural fit for my railroad. Need to check around for some rolling stock.

Watched our favorite, Wisconsin's and the Country's Team, the Green Bay Packer wipe out the Vikings and looks like maybe will result n the Viking's coach to leave as well as I bet Cousins departure. If the Packers play at this level with the well rounded team that showed up last night then watch out Tampa Bay and Dallas. Such power running by Dillon and Jones!!!

Allen: Nice video of the action at the NAPM club in Milwaukee.

That's about all for now.....

Greg

############
I talk about it here...

Thank you Sherrel. Those loads are by Tom (me). I priced out some scrap loads online and I am not a cheap modeler but the prices were crazy. So I tried making my own, therefore your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks. I made 6 gondola loads of different scrap. Also a bunch of different size pipe loads for flat cars but still trying to figure out how to create a strap to keep the loads on the cars beside the magnet in each load. Electrician tape seems to thick to me. Some of the auto striping tape I have tried is too wide. I have no success cutting down the striping tape. Building up an Amazon order for 1/16” pin striping as I need more weights for rolling stock And lots of little things I can’t get at the LHS.

View attachment 138071
too wide a strapping for the tie pile alone but maybe good for strapping down to the flat car

View attachment 138072TomO
Tom- Nice scrap loads, did the same, my neighbor has a machine shop so I can get scrap anytime.
As for banding chart tape works great. Here are a couple of pipe loads (and a scrap load) the yellow is to represent nylon tie down.
IMG_3904.jpg
IMG_4675.jpg
IMG_4509.jpg

I can attest to the fact you don't need you're 'pinkie' to function. It is a useful digit, if one can hang onto it, though. My right pinkie was digested by a large dog some years back, and my left always acts up, as if it misses the right.

I spent all morning shovelling snow on my property and my old neighbours. Now, I'm going to have a nap. I'll likely be shovelling again tonight.
i try not to shovel till all snow & wind has abated for at least 12 hrs, which means sometime mid afternoon tomorrow, I think.

Good Afternoon all! A rather pleasant day here in Houston. Sunny and mid 50's. The wind has laid, so the wind chill isn't bad at all.
came across this letter I had forgotten about, thought I'd share it
What a great keepsake. A long story. I have been searching "family tree documents" since 1975. I knew my grandfather had sung on radio in Providence RI. So on a whim I wrote the radio station to see if they could give me any kind of information. They put me in contact with a woman that was into old radio programs. She relayed to me that my grandfather also performed on weekends at the Caledonian Club in Boston. I contacted the club and a gentleman there put me in touch with a person that put me in touch with another person who was a record collector. He told me my grandfather had made 8 recordings, 4 records side A and B. This was news that I had never heard. I knew he sang, fact is I'd heard him personally, but no one ever mentioned records. This gentleman then gave me a link to follow, and there they were, 2 of the records, free to download. I shared with my sister, but I never got to share with my Mom. I don't know if she knew her father made records as the recordings were made 1918, years before her birth.
Justin - Welcome back. So sorry for your loss. That many in a short period of time surely takes a bite from one's heart.

On the Wicked Wanda build, some of the porch supports added, roof and base glued on. Banisters added to the stairway.
1641249973319.jpeg

I also placed it on the table just for a look see
1641250126475.jpeg

STAY SAFE

LATER

I have to congratulate the Cincinnati Bengals on locking up the AFC north. They carved up my Ravens like a Thanksgiving turkey last week. This week they beat KC Chiefs, the team I thought was the best in the AFC.

My Ravens put up another valiant effort only to lose at the very end. Third time that has happened in the last four weeks. The Eagles beat my second favorite team, the one I still refer to as the Redskins. Even the Jets could not provide some added football joy by holding on to beat Tom Brady after being up by 14 at one point!

Now i see the Cowboys and Cardinals are on, maybe this will end well. Oh well, a bad day watching football is still better than not watching football. How long until spring training?

LASM, you did see me. I try to stop by everyday, but I'm not always successful.
I have been extremely busy now that my wife works with me full-time. I was spending so much time at the computer working I could not wait another second to get away from that desk, not even to visit my train buddies. i don't tell my wife, but sitting at that desk takes its toll on my back, legs and hips, even in my extra comfortable and expensive desk chair. When they get bad I work for Amazon, that helps a lot!
I recently got an Amazon kindle fire that I can comfortably use sitting on my couch, that enable me to come back to the forum. I have several laptops, but they are awkward for me to use when resting on the couch. This little 10" kindle with a clever cover is simple and easy for me to hold on the couch. Now when I'm not watching sports, TV or sleeping on the couch I visit my train buddies! I'm very happy to see you posting again!

Terry, that reminds me, a couple of my laptops and desktops have automatically upgraded to windows 11. I love it and the few apps i have used work great! Sorry I took so long to tell you. I forget almost everything these days. How is Windows 11 working for you.
Our thoughts are with you and your wife through this difficult time.

Curt, I found that GG1 photo on Bing. Unfortunately I don't know anything about it, I just liked it and wanted to share it.

Now back to the ball game.

Have a great night Everybody!

Hi Louis, Good to hear you are busy.

Some new people I don't know, Sir Robbins--super nice photography.

Here is a shot of my Wyoming module, is going in the new layout:

IMG_1156.JPG

I like this old locomotive, super dependable and great for the yard and local runs

Dave

Good Afternoon!

I've come back into the shop, because the weather outside is horrific, and I'm too beaten down from snow shovelling to do anything else today.
I'm just going to sit and sip coffee. It's snowing heavily again; I can see it out the window. All my work is for naught, except that I only have to shovel 4" next time, instead of 8".
The old women I help out down the street left me a couple muffins in her garage. She leaves the garage door open so I can go in and warm-up. We don't meet, though. She's too worried about the covid at her age.

Hughie - I really like the layout table you are working on. You did a great job on Wanda's. I assume the Boler holiday trailer was tipped over by accident, and is not supposed to be on it's side.
Tom - The flatcar loads are wonderful.
James - Nice looking fish. I have one of those hanging on my wall. Caught her in the Lake Ontario in the 80's. I had her mounted because I was told it's not good to eat when they get that big; too much pollution.
Willie - I notice both you and Hughie use ballast for roadway gravel. I was wondering about that. Thought I might use Dap Stucco Patch to make roads and paint it, but, using ballast makes sense, I suppose. Bye the way, what can a person use for asphalt roads, that is not made commercially for that purpose? I'm hoping there is a suggestion that comes in a roll rather than sheets. Something cheap.

Which brings me to another topic. Build articles in magazines.
I dislike it when I go to a magazine build article, and the stuff they are using to make what they are talking about, is commercially sold for that specific purpose anyway. Example: Making trees using a manufacturers trees, that are already mean't to be trees. I expect, when going to a build article, that I learn how to make trees; not remake a manufacturers trees that are already trees.
There are few train modelling magazines in my collection. I'm not interested in subscribing though, if there are no articles on how to make trees, or scratch buildings, or roadways, or hills. All the articles seem to be using some product especially designed for that specific purpose. They seem to be shake-and-bake; mean't more to sell the product than to educate to really make something.

Since I'm posting again, I must post another photo. Sadly, it's another re-run. - I'll have to take more photos when the weather cleans up.
An SD40-2w:
Pic 9.JPG

Have a good one!

Good evening.
Power was restored at 5 pm.
I am now sitting at the parking lot of the emergency vet.
No, I’m not trolling for a replacement pet.
Our grand-dog came to visit, and he got very sick on the way up from Florida.
The vet is running tests now.

Afternoon All,

Ran some errands and did a couple of chores. I cleaned the mainline on the layout with my CMX cleaning car. I couldnt believe how dirty it was. I ended running 12 circuits with 3 different pads. The car was pushed by the F3 ABA set. I discovered another problem on the layout. Two of the dwarf signals I placed (by the mine) were too close to the tracks requiring them to be removed. Of course I destroyed one removing it:rolleyes: Also when cutting the signal wires under the layout I cut the wrong wires requiring a repair job. The last couple of weeks on the layout have really s****d. I think Murphy is here.

In other modeling news I read through the REA instructions (looks very complicated) and I mixed the Tamiya Red paint with black to get the color I wanted. Both are Tamiya flat colors. The Tamiya flat green just arrived at the house so the paint is ready to go.

Terry- I'm very sorry for your loss.

Hughie- Nice job on the stairs. I always tend to have issues with them.

Joe- Neat photo.

Justin- I'm very sorry for your family passings. I know it has to be extremely hard. I'm glad you are posting again. Take your lessons learned from this layout to improve your next one.

Patrick- You're making good progress on the SD9.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Doug- What a cool letter.

James- What is the setting to do this? When I finish with a loco I turn off the lights, and use function 8 on the keypad to mute the sound. The problem is that when I start up the layout the sound on most engines come back on.

Guy- Nice photo. Try to stay warm.

TomO- Great pictures and details. Even when I was a kid the Vikings always seemed to loose the big game.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt,

Theres (2) ways to do this that I am aware of.....

I think it depends on the decoder BUT I have success with just using the pull down menu on "Sound" Tab select "engine auto start enable" pull down menu and choose "primer mover starts at step 1"

JMRI_#1.jpg

JMRI_#2.jpg

other than having to go directly to the CV#116....

CV116=7 The prime mover starts up at speed step 1 then cranks up a notch every seven clicks of the throttle control.

A different case for your Sound Value equipped steamer...CV116 controls chuff rate and doesn't apply here.

Hope this helps you!

Good Afternoon!

I've come back into the shop, because the weather outside is horrific, and I'm too beaten down from snow shovelling to do anything else today.
I'm just going to sit and sip coffee. It's snowing heavily again; I can see it out the window. All my work is for naught, except that I only have to shovel 4" next time, instead of 8".
The old women I help out down the street left me a couple muffins in her garage. She leaves the garage door open so I can go in and warm-up. We don't meet, though. She's too worried about the covid at her age.

Hughie - I really like the layout table you are working on. You did a great job on Wanda's. I assume the Boler holiday trailer was tipped over by accident, and is not supposed to be on it's side.
Tom - The flatcar loads are wonderful.
James - Nice looking fish. I have one of those hanging on my wall. Caught her in the Lake Ontario in the 80's. I had her mounted because I was told it's not good to eat when they get that big; too much pollution.
Willie - I notice both you and Hughie use ballast for roadway gravel. I was wondering about that. Thought I might use Dap Stucco Patch to make roads and paint it, but, using ballast makes sense, I suppose. Bye the way, what can a person use for asphalt roads, that is not made commercially for that purpose? I'm hoping there is a suggestion that comes in a roll rather than sheets. Something cheap.

Which brings me to another topic. Build articles in magazines.
I dislike it when I go to a magazine build article, and the stuff they are using to make what they are talking about, is commercially sold for that specific purpose anyway. Example: Making trees using a manufacturers trees, that are already mean't to be trees. I expect, when going to a build article, that I learn how to make trees; not remake a manufacturers trees that are already trees.
There are few train modelling magazines in my collection. I'm not interested in subscribing though, if there are no articles on how to make trees, or scratch buildings, or roadways, or hills. All the articles seem to be using some product especially designed for that specific purpose. They seem to be shake-and-bake; mean't more to sell the product than to educate to really make something.

Since I'm posting again, I must post another photo. Sadly, it's another re-run. - I'll have to take more photos when the weather cleans up.
An SD40-2w:
View attachment 138096

Have a good one!

Guy,

There are those who believe that. Then there are those who have a little experience. I usually do not take big fish of this magnitude when it comes to Salmon BUT if you fillet it and cut all the belly fat out, skim and cook it thoroughly you are good. I wouldn't eat large amounts of it at one time. Maybe a bit every other month. The contaminants people worry about is the mercury levels. Anyways, I prefer fish that are smaller like a year or 2 old. Like you mentioned the bigger they are they are older and the meat is mushy with belly fat. Which holds the bad stuff! It's like harvesting any other critter or fish the younger ones/adolescent years of the critter are better for ya. Just like beef or venison. Eventually man will realize to much of anything will kill ya but I use moderation to guide me. When I lived in Florida for 17 plus years I would harvest a great deal of different seafood such as snook, grouper, snapper, triple tail, tuna, bonito, redfish, lion fish, flounder, jacks etc. Even shellfish shrimp, stone crabs and lobsters. All in moderation and mix it up. I even harvested gator. The tail meat is incredible! Wild hogs/boars you name it...if it crawled flew or swam I probably ate it at one time or another lol Now I do eat my veggies too as I did grow gardens every year for some time as well. I didn't do a big garden last year but still did peppers, corn and taters and some maters too.

What! what! Bikini, in your dreams…maybe under..long John underwear top and bottoms, inner socks,thick socks, -30 winter lined trousers, roll up neck thin jumper, 2nd thin jumper natural fibre, -30 winter jacket with fraught proof inner cuffs under the gloves or mittens, a balaclava eyes only I wear glasses so pass on snow goggles, tissues in pockets, hand warming chemical device,long green scarf as back up to bakaclava,brand of choice Deerhunter. plus small backpack and rainproof smock x to go over the lot in case it snows/rains/sleets. optional extra a four by four electric car with cab control and heated seats. And a netflix (i know I know but slim pickings on choices) to watch the films. A 13 amp plug socket for a fresh cuppa tea/coffee/soup. bikini……what do you think your on an island with a bomb! :p

For the record, my "bikini weather" remark was because Guy said that they claimed it was cold, something like -40, but in reality it wasn't so bad, as it only got down to -30, or something like that... :)

Happy New Year! everyone

I've dropped by a few times in the last few days to catch up and have made little short posts, but no major update.

Weather has not been that great with a large snowstorm the night of Dec 30. We got around 8-10 inches. Luckily it was mostly powder. The days previous there was some scattered dustings but was otherwise partly cloudy/hazy sun, and cold, though by the end of the week, before the snow, it had gotten a good deal warmer the last day or so (meaning mid to upper 30s). On the 1st it was bitter cold (teens F) but sunny. Today it was sunny and got to the upper 20s. Supposed to get mixed snow or rain/snow the next few days with between 30% and 80% chance depending on day.

We got a bunch done on the house last week, and on the 1st and today. Got a lot of vertical steel placed as well as finished the 7th layer of blocks and horizontal steel where we are using complete blocks, except in a few places where we don't yet have scaffolding in place due to lack of bracing. (Mainly the main entrance). Also got 7th layer of just one side of the block where the garage / inside of the house interface is -- the garage side does not get a seventh layer before the concrete pour as the pre-cast slab will sit at the top of the sixth layer, but on the inside house side, where there will be floor joists or a ledger board type end board, we need the seventh layer to hold the hangers/supports. Got about 1/2 of that done. Need to finish that one-sided foam 1/2 block on the far side of the shorter 2 car garage part and the wall closest to the camera... (It is hard to explain).

Today we got a lot of vertical steel in the main house walls (about 30% of it) and hopefully we'll get more of it done tomorrow before the crappy weather comes. As fast as we can cut the steel to 160" (#5 bars). My son runs the hydraulic cutter while I place the steel.

We also placed a bunch of the #4 bars around the garage vertically. These are 15" long and once the pre-cast slab is in place they will be bent over the slab and addtional horizontal steel laid out over the slab tied to these bent ones. That is why you see some really closely placed verticals around the garage. It is a mix of the normal #5 that will go up into the next floor walls and the ones for the garage floor. Around the non garage walls you just see the #5 vertical.

I also measured on the plans where all the first floor water drains are and marked them on the long wall so that I could place where the floor joists will go and not interfere with the drains. The framing boss said that it doesn't matter exactly where the joists go as long as they are spaced correctly (in this case 16" on center), so I should mark all the drains and try to come up with a joist hanger placement that avoids the drains. They can work around the ends by the walls being of a different spacing width from wall to first joist. I was able to do that today and come up with a workable placement on my third pass of marking one that misses the first toilet and then marking them every 16" along the wall. I also need to avoid the internal to the wall web as I can't place the hangers into the foam where the web is. The webs are every 8" so it is easy to miss them once you find a place that works for the drains.

I also marked on the 7th layer where all the doors in the main floor that go through a foam/concrete wall will be as they will be cut out at approximately 6" below the top of the seventh layer so I needed to put in shorter vertical pieces at those points.

Hopefully the above is at least partly understandable. :)

Here are a few pics from today. They don't look that much different from the previous but careful observation will show much more vertical steel, a few more places with 7th layer foam, and also very careful observation will show where some vertical steel was swapped out with appropriate length ones where I initially didn't take into account garage or other doors on the main floor level...

IMG_5294.jpegIMG_5295.jpegIMG_5296.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back