Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings fellow Fans! We are at 34F and looking for 66F high today with cloudless and sunny skies - more or less a typical winter day in the Southwest!

GUY - when you get fed up with shoveling - come on down for a few days to thaw out your bones?
I have to warn you that fishing around here is terrible; nothing like what I grew up with in the south! Most around here seem to prefer ocean fishing - you know, where a hundred people satan elbow/elbow to drop a hook over the side and tangle your line with ten others? In 30 years here I have been twice!

JAZ - I book marked you website and will go back and sign up after a while.

Our Annual Bunco Christmas party was last night. There was lots of merriment, some drinking, and laughter over the silly, stupid games that a bunch of 60-80 YO has beens play - or try to play.
I usually tell everyone that I just come for the food - of which there was lots of and delicious.

TomO - Your photos this morning are great
JOE - great GG! photo with train!

Maybe some day I will learn how to save and post photos - huh?

The reason we are complaining about our $3.30/gallon gas is because a year ago it was $1.85.
I'm sure people in other countries would complain if their $1.40/L gas suddenly became $2.49/L.
Average fuel prices in the UK at the moment are £1.46 for unleaded petrol, £1.49 Diesel (per litre) that's $1.93 and $1.97.
I'll let you work what that is in US gallons

Since people are posting photos of their Christmas trees, here's ours. Originally it was a group project between my parents and myself, in 1977. At that time, I had managed to break an ankle, and was pretty much confined to the house, especially when the weather was bad. "Bad" was at least once over 18" of snow.
This originally was (and still is) a ceramic tree, with holes drilled in the tree to accommodate the plastic "lights" seen in the photo. My mother also had my father drill a hole in the base, to illuminate the "manger" in the base. When we finished it, it had Mary, Joseph, Jesus, three wise men, and various critters. Over the years, many critters and all the wise men were broken or lost, and Joseph seems to have run off with one of the sheep. The very tall characters standing to the side of the tree in the photo are stand-ins I found at the dollar store.

View attachment 137185
My mother had one of those, and now we do! Thanks for reminding me of this - we store it in a different place than all the other decorations and usually forget to bring it out!

Covid news seems to be a bit overblown, or am just inured to it after two years? It seems that this Omicron variant is not really a big deal to vaccinated folks, and may even help with natural immunity. I'm not changing any plans or behaviors at this time. Mask when I feel that social distancing is not possible or is ineffective, but otherwise proceed as normal. But I don't usually go to crowded events any more either.
Joe - Congress - So much negativism is being written in the media regarding the one or two members of the ruling party not going along with their plan, but very little is being written about the fact that those two are actually in the majority when it comes down to policy. I believe that there are some good parts to the controversial legislation in front of them right now and the whole bill needs to be broken down into individual bills that would allow the good parts to pass. The SALT thing is ridiculous! Anyone paying $80,000 a year in SALT taxes is not middle class.
Willie: If this morning's headlines are to be believed, it appears that not only the Chinese and Russian vaccines, but the Astra-Zeneca and Johnson and Johnson vaccs are also ineffective against Omicron (and apparently Delta). That leaves two effective vaccines, Moderna and Pfizer, and these two are most effective with a booster. Not for nothing, I'm skeptical, because the media tends to over dramatize everything to a extreme level.
Previous reports indicated that Omicron was more contagious, but less debilitating than other variants. However, inconvenient truths always get lost in the hype. FWIW, One anecdotal story was from an NHL coach, who remarked that his players that tested positive and were quarantined, were asymptomatic and otherwise healthy, while a portion of his players who tested negative for covid, and were eligible to play, were showing the effects of a non Covid infection of some unspecified nature. Personally, I feel the greatest danger is to the unvaxed masses that average 60% + or - of the US Population, in general, and to a greater extent in some regions and groupings. The wife and I have our boosters, and mask in public, avoiding crowds whenever possible. Still, I managed to come down with an unspecified upper respiratory condition, about two weeks ago, for which I tested negative to Covid and Flu twice. It ain't all Covid, not withstanding what the media and Facci tell us.

Media and the Congress. My take, is that the media elite, are incensed that the Congress is not in any hurry to adopt what the media elite want, and are looking for scapegoats...This is the same media that didn't want our current president, back in 2016, and over hyped the previous president during the 2016 primaries, hoping for a different outcome. if one was to take an objective and non partisan lookat our media, they may find that few of any media types share the values of most Americans accept.

SALT affects people who live in high tax - low benefit areas like the Northeast and the Left Coast. I'm on a limited (fixed), income and still pay property, sales and use taxes to the state and local jurisdictions. SALT's implementation cost me more in Federal Income taxes. yet I come no where near 80K in property taxes, and yes those that do can afford to pay more, and aren't hurt by paying more either...but to single out specific regions rather than income levels is wrong. The states that charge annual taxes on car titles like NC, don't rely on property taxes for revenue, but these taxes continue to be deductible. There's gotta be a better way...

I have an extremely high opinion of my beloved country! USA! USA! USA!

Where it came from or what we call it. We don't care. Does it make profit? That's American!

Pizza - Italian, Hotdogs - Frankfurt or Vienna. On and on, All American! Chinese food, nothing Chinese about our Chinese food, American!

New Coke, sure it tasted better, but we want the original! Does it get more American than that?

Haagen-Daz ice cream, founded in the Bronx by Rueben and Rose Mattus. That's how we do it and make profit!

Is America perfect, not even close, but you can't prove to me there is better! USA! USA! USA! We are still working to make a more perfect union.

Belgian fries? So what we can't read a map, we really don't care! Call them whatever you want, McDonald's fries are the best!

The lady who raised me, told me once "I don't need to know geography, I know where Times Square is!" Spoken like the true New Yorker she was.

We may not be at our best in recent years, democracy can be ugly. Bet your bottom dollar we will do better and make a profit doing it!

USA! USA! USA!
It is really nice to see someone proud of their country instead of running it down, yeah You.!

Oh, I know. For us it is a bit more than $1 more. I guess we get what we deserve as a nation...
When Covid broke out prices plummeted here in the uk down to 1.00 uk pound a litre, the price slowly rose as the lockdowns disappeared the price snuck back up to 1.30 about where it started then all the going to stop gas,coal,petrol,diesal and the prices started going up, I assume they plan to cash in before certain countries are in a position to stop buying these and meantime they are actually reliant so have actually caused the prices to rise DOH.

Good morning from a nice day in So. Central Wisconsin. It is 26f degrees feels like 14 and not nice. 1st day in a few weeks I have not walked outside and it is because of the temperatures. If the wind chill is below 20 degrees it becomes a walk on the miserable treadmill.

gas prices: $2.98 per gallon of unleaded $2.60 with ethanol added for flex vehicle. Last month was over $3 and last year under $2

I have lots of reforms I would lIke to discuss but this is not the place for a full on discussion. You all know I believe in a flat tax, term limits, medical reforms to the benefits that Congress gets, let them have Medicare and the end to stupidity by elected officials. I have no chance with the stupidity one, slight chances on the others

We have a late b-day celebration as the SIL turned 41 in Vegas on the 15th so leaving in 30 minutes. Boy, it will be a tough trip from the lower level to the main level of the house. Weather be damn3d.

Pictures, if it’s trains post them.

Have a great day
TomO

Willie, we are not yet a perfect union, not even close, but I challenge anyone to prove to me where it is better.

The only thing I will say about politics applies to both parties. We need to put the good of the nation above the good of the party. Grid lock and greed have gone on for far too long.

The drug problem is the cause of much of our crime. Arrest people for public intoxication, petty theft and vagrancy. Mandatory drug testing for all who are arrested.

Formerly my wife managed a large convince store. She stopped a junkie from stealing a candy bar. The junkie threw the candy bar in her face and walked out. She called the Baltimore city police. The junkie was still on the premises, pan handling from customers. The officer confronted him and let him leave. The officer explained to my wife "he is only high". Another occasion a different officer told my wife "we are not going to respond to every theft, you have to protect your own inventory". Hard to blame the officers, they know the Baltimore City States Attorney won't prosecute minor crimes.

Minor crimes?! Junkies use up to $1000/day to feed their addiction. They steal all day every, anything and everything they can get their hands on.

While the social problems are out there, not sure why a store owner should shoulder the weight of their problems. If I recall it properly, the government's function is to protect business. Letting someone off the hook for stealing seems to go against that, no matter what the reason.

Willie, we are not yet a perfect union, not even close, but I challenge anyone to prove to me where it is better.

The only thing I will say about politics applies to both parties. We need to put the good of the nation above the good of the party. Grid lock and greed have gone on for far too long.

The drug problem is the cause of much of our crime. Arrest people for public intoxication, petty theft and vagrancy. Mandatory drug testing for all who are arrested.

Formerly my wife managed a large convince store. She stopped a junkie from stealing a candy bar. The junkie threw the candy bar in her face and walked out. She called the Baltimore city police. The junkie was still on the premises, pan handling from customers. The officer confronted him and let him leave. The officer explained to my wife "he is only high". Another occasion a different officer told my wife "we are not going to respond to every theft, you have to protect your own inventory". Hard to blame the officers, they know the Baltimore City States Attorney won't prosecute minor crimes.

Minor crimes?! Junkies use up to $1000/day to feed their addiction. They steal all day every, anything and everything they can get their hands on.
Perhaps, getting Congress to work together, to actually work together to create a proper, permanent, well funded, Federal Welfare System instead of the hodgepodge there presently is, would go a long way.

Drugs is without doubt a big problem, I was discussing this with the other half,but he pointed out alcohol is overlooked because they only count the alcoholic, not the dui and people who are in car crashes or killed by alcohol or the factory accidents or any other number of issues, smoking is despised by government but they dont outlaw it because they can tax it,here in the uk it easily pays a lot towards the nhs healthcare and yet smokers are derided within it, but I agree drugs is a serious issue as they have no regard and will do meaningless acts of violence for little gain having lost reason, smudge seems to give deleted his response but he is right there are vagrants and vagrants a few did just slide in but many were left to fall by a failing to support, veterans out on the street are a pet hate of mine, you fight for your country to deserve respect and to be cared for,lockdowns have caused issues, robotised factories are only just starting to hurt this will likely be a big problem in the future,and people who at present can work for little return and just manage to scrape a living will likely be in the line of fire any time soon, all our countries have taken on massive debts because of Covid and that leaves the government in hoc to the banks, and the banks do not care if the system goes tits up because you default on a property and they claim it and become land and property touch a cycle they can foresee as they control the interest rate not the government neither the federal bank or the Bank of England state who their private owners are,and the law protects their privacy, the city of London that golden mile in London is not British it is a self governed island with its own police I bet the fed is the same, I understand when the fermsnd asked to see their gold they deposited around the time of ww2 they were sent off with a flea in their ear sight unseen,the Brit government sold their gold to get them out of a financial hole well that worked once but now what they going to do,all I can say avoid at all cost debts,avoid owning a home where you do not own the land it sits on, better to have an old cranky car then a nice shiny new one with a massive debt, because if we go into a depression the banks will crucify anyone who has debts,not a theory it happens every time the cycle comes round. we lost a home in the 1990s and getting back in the property was hard and whilst friends thought we should blow our earnings on nice new cars and fancy kitchen and bathrooms we threw everything at the mortgage until it was paid, we pay and not at all,interest rates of 30 percent when the return on savings is so low is criminal sone loanshark charge thousands and the government does nothing to protect us.

So here we are nearing the end of another day, and all is well in the world, or at least in my train room (read bedroom)
Decided to carry on and do a few more jobs around that I hadn't got around to.
First, decided to "upgrade" this old girl, and she is old 'ish, (pre 1973) to DCC.
(Sorry, Yes it's British, Yes, it's OO scale and Yes, I don't care :))
4-6-2.jpg

Then finish off putting some foam in the bottom of my storage boxes to keep their toes, eerrrmmm I mean wheels warm.
Storage.jpg
Storage2.jpg
Storage3.jpg

Finish wiring up and wiring in my two aspect ground turnout lights
2 aspect.jpg

And for the grand finale, turn this ugly duckling.
Before.jpg

Into this clean machine.
After.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to remove the old paint, didn't use any of them I'm afraid. Mr Muscle Drain cleaner works well too.

Last edited:
Good afternoon Everyone....sunny and a nice late December day. Going to miss not having a white Christmas this year. Cathy is getting the house ready for our family members from Arizona where I wish I was in January. Looked for a trailer home in Arizona for a winter retreat, but the cost of the HOA, land rental and the other costs didn't make sense for to have a vacant unit maybe 10 months out of the year and pay those high monthly, reoccurring costs. Renting just isn't our cup of tea. We rented a cabin in Wisconsin's Door county several years ago and the place needed some all round heavy duty cleaning. Nice location, but poor management and due to the lack of snow and since most businesses were closed due to the lack of snow, the manager gave us a full refund even after three nights at the cabin.

Spent lots of time yesterday down in the basement cleaning the back-bar. Wiped down every bottle with a beach wipe and then did the entire back bar surface. There are a few mice in the false ceiling and they like the variety of liquors on the back bar. I have some bottles of liquor that bring back memories. There's a bottle of Scotch that I purchased for my 30th Birthday for a friend who liked Scotch, but that day had beer instead, some very expensive whiskey's from companies I did business with over the years and some specialty liquors like Peach and Apricot brandies for those who like the taste of the more fruity drinks. Many of the bottles remain unopened.

Walking back up the basement stairs was the easiest for me since he start of my illness.

While the social problems are out there, not sure why a store owner should shoulder the weight of their problems. If I recall it properly, the government's function is to protect business. Letting someone off the hook for stealing seems to go against that, no matter what the reason.

When I first started in the shopping center business our location had a very small security staff since crime was very low. But, with limited staffing I carried cuffs and a badge and answered calls or did back ups when required. Our local police department and city attorney charged every shop-lifter and word got out on the street about our policy and criminals went elsewhere. Times have changed.

I worked with a leasing guy who collected and built Athearn BB locomotive kits and some brass steamers and had a sizable collection. None of his locos ever ran on a layout since he did not have a layout nor ever planned to have a layout. He had one rule that all locomotives had to have Kadee couplers. Jerry never missed a TrainFest.

Just a note again about Jason Jensen's (models like George Sellios) web-site on building tips taking a reader through the actual construction of a wooden kit. Check out the web-site of Carolinacraftsmankits.com who have a line of kits like Sellios sold and Besttrains.com who sells a line of stains call Vetero. Jensen uses the Vetero stains. Watch Jensen's web productions for some great ideas from a skilled craftsman.

If my walking doesn't improve, I just may build one of the more simpler kits from the Carolinacraftmankit line which can be done at the kitchen table. If only I have space for it on the layout.

I keep looking at a undecorated Kadee box car kit on my computer console. I purchased this kit to add John Allen's G&D logo and reporting marks. Need to have something related to the G&D Line on my layout!!!

That's about all for now.

Greg

#######################

Let's see if I can find some train pictures for TomO.

213B4687-0D01-4A5B-AB29-D0769DAFF1F6(1).jpeg

1603917329868blob.png

Wood Piles and SOO Caboose(1).jpg

Se Ya All.....

Greg

Afternoon All,

The Christmas bake-off occurred. What a damn mess to clean up. The whole crew will be back on Wednesday to decorate sugar cookies and have a gift exchange for those that will be gone on Christmas day (at daughter's house). I spent the day hiding in the train room. My SIL and I talked for a while. I was showing him the layout and he mentioned that I didn't have parking for the roundhouse/diesel facility. Well crap I don't. I built the ramp on both sides of the mainline and taped off the parking lot. I also had to redo the dirt area today. For some reason most of it from yesterday didn't stick. I either didn't put enough glue down or did too big of an area and the glue had started to dry before I put the dirt down. Hopefully better luck tomorrow.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression of being down on the US. I love this country and I spent 21 years defending it, but I am worried about the way things have been going.

Jesse- That meme is so true. It was 82 F in central FL today.

TomO- Nice job on the "little people" and signage. Also, a nice photo of the BNSF loco.

Patrick- We do the same thing with son, daughter and her family. We get a really nice military discount, so everyone just pays their part.

Karl- I would be hard pressed to use any power tool on the shell for stripping.

Troy- Good luck with the plumbing.

Gary- Pretty scene.

Greg- Nice weathering shots.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Attention Christian.

this is from HO Scale Shelf Layouts on Facebook. Thought of you immediately
DBBBCEA9-77B4-4DAA-B8AB-A963582B7C4E.jpeg

TomO
Perhaps, getting Congress to work together, to actually work together to create a proper, permanent, well funded, Federal Welfare System instead of the hodgepodge there presently is, would go a long way.
Federal Welfare programs are ot there and are mostly fully funded for those in need. Our issue is that people have given up for whatever reason and feel, why work I am better on welfare.

Tom

Good afternoon Everyone....sunny and a nice late December day. Going to miss not having a white Christmas this year. Cathy is getting the house ready for our family members from Arizona where I wish I was in January. Looked for a trailer home in Arizona for a winter retreat, but the cost of the HOA, land rental and the other costs didn't make sense for to have a vacant unit maybe 10 months out of the year and pay those high monthly, reoccurring costs. Renting just isn't our cup of tea. We rented a cabin in Wisconsin's Door county several years ago and the place needed some all round heavy duty cleaning. Nice location, but poor management and due to the lack of snow and since most businesses were closed due to the lack of snow, the manager gave us a full refund even after three nights at the cabin.

Spent lots of time yesterday down in the basement cleaning the back-bar. Wiped down every bottle with a beach wipe and then did the entire back bar surface. There are a few mice in the false ceiling and they like the variety of liquors on the back bar. I have some bottles of liquor that bring back memories. There's a bottle of Scotch that I purchased for my 30th Birthday for a friend who liked Scotch, but that day had beer instead, some very expensive whiskey's from companies I did business with over the years and some specialty liquors like Peach and Apricot brandies for those who like the taste of the more fruity drinks. Many of the bottles remain unopened.

Walking back up the basement stairs was the easiest for me since he start of my illness.

When I first started in the shopping center business our location had a very small security staff since crime was very low. But, with limited staffing I carried cuffs and a badge and answered calls or did back ups when required. Our local police department and city attorney charged every shop-lifter and word got out on the street about our policy and criminals went elsewhere. Times have changed.

I worked with a leasing guy who collected and built Athearn BB locomotive kits and some brass steamers and had a sizable collection. None of his locos ever ran on a layout since he did not have a layout nor ever planned to have a layout. He had one rule that all locomotives had to have Kadee couplers. Jerry never missed a TrainFest.

Just a note again about Jason Jensen's (models like George Sellios) web-site on building tips taking a reader through the actual construction of a wooden kit. Check out the web-site of Carolinacraftsmankits.com who have a line of kits like Sellios sold and Besttrains.com who sells a line of stains call Vetero. Jensen uses the Vetero stains. Watch Jensen's web productions for some great ideas from a skilled craftsman.

If my walking doesn't improve, I just may build one of the more simpler kits from the Carolinacraftmankit line which can be done at the kitchen table. If only I have space for it on the layout.

I keep looking at a undecorated Kadee box car kit on my computer console. I purchased this kit to add John Allen's G&D logo and reporting marks. Need to have something related to the G&D Line on my layout!!!

That's about all for now.

Greg

#######################

Let's see if I can find some train pictures for TomO.

View attachment 137204

View attachment 137205

View attachment 137206

Se Ya All.....

Greg
Greg that Soo Caboose looks tired. Did you weather it?

So here we are nearing the end of another day, and all is well in the world, or at least in my train room (read bedroom)
Decided to carry on and do a few more jobs around that I hadn't got around to.
First, decided to "upgrade" this old girl, and she is old 'ish, (pre 1973) to DCC.
(Sorry, Yes it's British, Yes, it's OO scale and Yes, I don't care :))
View attachment 137194

Then finish off putting some foam in the bottom of my storage boxes to keep their toes, eerrrmmm I mean wheels warm.
View attachment 137198View attachment 137199View attachment 137200

Finish wiring up and wiring in my two aspect ground turnout lights
View attachment 137201

And for the grand finale, turn this ugly duckling.
View attachment 137202

Into this clean machine.
View attachment 137203

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to remove the old paint, didn't use any of them I'm afraid. Mr Muscle Drain cleaner works well too.
I just bought some old Airfix 00 wagons going to make a static display with them with a Saddle Tank Engine. So yeah would like to see more 00 things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back