Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got our gas bill for heating the house for November. It is more than triple, versus November 2020. Last year, $29.30, this year, $99.94.
We're all electric here. We live out in the country with no gas service, so we'd have to get a propane tank put in and fill it as needed. Didn't want to put up that much cash and with our house being fairly new, our bills aren't too bad.

I have a sister who lives in Minneapolis whose attitude about injured servicemen, they knew what they were getting into when they joined the military. Let them pay for their own care.
I feel the opposite. If they served their country by providing military service whether they saw combat or not, I believe:

free health care for life and that does not need to be provided only at VA Center Medical facilities

food allowances for life, serve your country but can’t feed your family, so WRONG

I don’t even want to know what she thinks of the police

Anyway, we still are a free country and she is entitled to her views which makes the USA so great. I happen to disagree with her on this view

TomO

Seems kinda strange to not be waiting for glue or paint to dry on some model!
I have finished working on things for the club layouts on holiday display this year.
Since summer, I have taken a few hundred photos of work on the club and my little projects.
I have been making sure I have downloaded all the pictures from the DSLR camera and phone.
As I started putting photos in specific files, I found that about 50% of the phone photos were blurred or the items were off center. I did seem to get better at composing the pictures as time went on.
I have shared (and maybe over shared) many of the better photos with you, and I thank those who made comments.

It's an expensive racket, and will never change, the mighty dollar is, unfortunately, mightier than peoples health and well being. Thankfully we have the NHS. I've just ordered my next three months of medication (9 different meds) cost (because of my age) £0.00, and if I had to pay £7.85p
Same free inhalers as I passed the 6 0…I was still struggling to understand that I was now classed as old! until the goats flipped me and broke my ankle and dislocated my knee for the first time I feel everyone of those 60s :( am improving but walk like a constipated duck,still I am able to totter without a walking aid because the stick made me lean and then my hip started hurting, having never had a break before (well a toe but hardly slowed me) and as one who was always racing around like the proverbial blue xxxed fly I find this slow shuffle really annoying,my aunt 30s years my senior was zooming around until the point she died……yeah that one will eventual stop me.

Seems kinda strange to not be waiting for glue or paint to dry on some model!
I have finished working on things for the club layouts on holiday display this year.
Since summer, I have taken a few hundred photos of work on the club and my little projects.
I have been making sure I have downloaded all the pictures from the DSLR camera and phone.
As I started putting photos in specific files, I found that about 50% of the phone photos were blurred or the items were off center. I did seem to get better at composing the pictures as time went on.
I have shared (and maybe over shared) many of the better photos with you, and I thank those who made comments.
No over sharing love look at other peoples work, especially when it is quality.

Good Morning Everyone....the heavy snow escaped our part of Wisconsin, but we did get high winds and some good rain lat night and now we have light snow. Thoughts out to those in Kentucky and experienced that terrific tornado.

TomO: I have sleeping problems also. I fall asleep early and then wake up at 10:30 PM and can't not get back to asleep no matter how hard I try. I watch TV until sunrise and then fall asleep for a couple of hours.

I forgot the correct numbers, but it takes like seven to ten military service members to support one combat soldier. Every military veteran should be taken care of in their civilian life.

Movie afternoon today with Riley and Cathy. I love buttered popcorn with cold milk.

Maybe some modeling tomorrow since the Packers play at night on SNF.

That's about all for me today.

Greg

###############

C&NW at Omro Junk Yard (1).JPG

Good Morning All. Clear and chilly at 41° with the high only expected to be 54° today, a far cry from the 82° of the last two days. It will begin to warm up slowly tomorrow and hit 80° again Tuesday and Wednesday if the NWS is to be believed. Roller coaster weather is the norm for us at this time of year. Historically Christmas day is in the 70's more than in the 50's. Yes, we have had a couple of white Christmas's before. 4" in 2012 and 12" in 2009, those were more significant than anything in the previous 40 years that I have been keeping records at this house.

I split some more wood yesterday, I have minor soreness in the lower back today, not enough for a pain reliever though. Thankfully it doesn't usually affect me. Our home health care nurse Staci came by yesterday afternoon, I felt like I needed to observe since she was out of uniform wearing those Lululemon pants.
I spent almost an hour unsuccessfully setting the new camera up for wifi transfer of photos. Software all seemed to download OK, both the computer and camera. But the camera is having trouble communicating with the access point. It shows it is there, but just cannot communicate with it. So in the meantime I will just have to continue to remove the SD card and transfer the files the old way.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the latest project; Jerry, Rick, Patrick, Christian, Joe, Chad, Gary, Sherrel, Karl, Tom O, Tom H, Guy, Mikey, James, Jesse.

Chilly out there this morning Francine, so I'll take a couple of giant breakfast burritos with a big bowl of spicy salsa.

Life got in the way of a productive day in the train shed yesterday, although I got a little done. I first started by painting a concrete walkway on the layout's plywood surface, and installing a pipe to carry the corn oil to the pump house.
View attachment 136703
The pipe will emerge on the other side of the two tracks where the platform is. Then the plan has been to install a raised walkway from that door in the bakery to a corresponding door in the flour unloading facility. I don't know any other term to describe that building. So that has to be scratchbuilt.
Frame and supports made from Evergreen styrene shapes.
View attachment 136704
The walkway itself will be a metal grate made from this product.
View attachment 136705
I bought this about 20 years ago knowing that I would need it someday!
The end result after cutting it with an Exacto #11.
View attachment 136706
Next I will be adding handrails and crossover steps, both details that will only be visible from a small viewing area. But I have a lot of stuff like that on the layout. I am concerned about painting this. I want to use yellow, but I only have that color in brush-on paint and I am concerned about the mesh filling in. he mesh is pretty tiny.

Troy - Probably a little late to tell you, but a couple of $20's usually get things delivered inside around here.
Jerry - .

That bakery makes muffins which use corn oil. One of the doors is for incoming packaging materials and other supplies.
Tom H -

Steal away, I don't mind. They're meant to be shared. I got a lot of my ideas from others.
Excellent cab ride video of an equally excellent model railroad. I don't normally view videos that are that long, but I viewed it from beginning to end. I have been following your build thread for a few years now but I don't recall ever seeing a track plan. Does one exist?
Chris - I would never make that kind of promise to my wife.
Curt - Been there, done that. I once accidentally installed a Tomar bumping post (all metal) without an insulated rail joiner that shorted out the whole system. I finally located it by turning off individual DC blocks until the short went away and examined the spur that I had recently installed without testing.
Guy - Nice work on the structures. Can't wait to see them on a layout.
Sherrel - That is rather chilly for you out there. I have had a disappointing month in the market, but I finally regained everything in the last week. Still way up for the year though, but just 5.2%. I need to move more "safe money" into aggressive funds.

Nothing special about today except it's Saturday. It is another palindromic day as well, 12-11-21. One more coming this month in 11 more days.
I bought mine from the auto repair shop
15678639-3E25-4C91-B75E-BBF10DD38E79.jpeg
CDEA33CB-DF3B-459A-9968-089B29FBD126.jpeg
2E581CD3-B5EC-49B2-B4A8-AA863D7D8403.jpeg
59EF5014-5669-4E2B-8E5C-73B76A3F2A41.jpeg
E7DC89A4-6F21-4BA8-A251-B6302D134F4D.jpeg
C5B663C0-9838-46A0-A556-CE934F7F938C.jpeg

joined two small resin chicken coops together
79B653C6-1217-4872-A9AC-11A91B98BEC1.jpeg

Good Morning All. Clear and chilly at 41° with the high only expected to be 54° today, a far cry from the 82° of the last two days. It will begin to warm up slowly tomorrow and hit 80° again Tuesday and Wednesday if the NWS is to be believed. Roller coaster weather is the norm for us at this time of year. Historically Christmas day is in the 70's more than in the 50's. Yes, we have had a couple of white Christmas's before. 4" in 2012 and 12" in 2009, those were more significant than anything in the previous 40 years that I have been keeping records at this house.

I split some more wood yesterday, I have minor soreness in the lower back today, not enough for a pain reliever though. Thankfully it doesn't usually affect me. Our home health care nurse Staci came by yesterday afternoon, I felt like I needed to observe since she was out of uniform wearing those Lululemon pants.
I spent almost an hour unsuccessfully setting the new camera up for wifi transfer of photos. Software all seemed to download OK, both the computer and camera. But the camera is having trouble communicating with the access point. It shows it is there, but just cannot communicate with it. So in the meantime I will just have to continue to remove the SD card and transfer the files the old way.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the latest project; Jerry, Rick, Patrick, Christian, Joe, Chad, Gary, Sherrel, Karl, Tom O, Tom H, Guy, Mikey, James, Jesse.

Chilly out there this morning Francine, so I'll take a couple of giant breakfast burritos with a big bowl of spicy salsa.

Life got in the way of a productive day in the train shed yesterday, although I got a little done. I first started by painting a concrete walkway on the layout's plywood surface, and installing a pipe to carry the corn oil to the pump house.
View attachment 136703
The pipe will emerge on the other side of the two tracks where the platform is. Then the plan has been to install a raised walkway from that door in the bakery to a corresponding door in the flour unloading facility. I don't know any other term to describe that building. So that has to be scratchbuilt.
Frame and supports made from Evergreen styrene shapes.
View attachment 136704
The walkway itself will be a metal grate made from this product.
View attachment 136705
I bought this about 20 years ago knowing that I would need it someday!
The end result after cutting it with an Exacto #11.
View attachment 136706
Next I will be adding handrails and crossover steps, both details that will only be visible from a small viewing area. But I have a lot of stuff like that on the layout. I am concerned about painting this. I want to use yellow, but I only have that color in brush-on paint and I am concerned about the mesh filling in. he mesh is pretty tiny.

Troy - Probably a little late to tell you, but a couple of $20's usually get things delivered inside around here.
Jerry - .

That bakery makes muffins which use corn oil. One of the doors is for incoming packaging materials and other supplies.
Tom H -

Steal away, I don't mind. They're meant to be shared. I got a lot of my ideas from others.
Excellent cab ride video of an equally excellent model railroad. I don't normally view videos that are that long, but I viewed it from beginning to end. I have been following your build thread for a few years now but I don't recall ever seeing a track plan. Does one exist?
Chris - I would never make that kind of promise to my wife.
Curt - Been there, done that. I once accidentally installed a Tomar bumping post (all metal) without an insulated rail joiner that shorted out the whole system. I finally located it by turning off individual DC blocks until the short went away and examined the spur that I had recently installed without testing.
Guy - Nice work on the structures. Can't wait to see them on a layout.
Sherrel - That is rather chilly for you out there. I have had a disappointing month in the market, but I finally regained everything in the last week. Still way up for the year though, but just 5.2%. I need to move more "safe money" into aggressive funds.

Nothing special about today except it's Saturday. It is another palindromic day as well, 12-11-21. One more coming this month in 11 more days.
paint with the yellow then over brush with a dry clean stiffer brush hopefully it will lift any access….if it does not work I am safely on a different continent…grins

Afternoon All,

Did a couple of small chores, then headed up to the train room. On the layout today was a short day. First, I "rusted" the rails with acrylic paint. After that I did a black wash on the siding. After this I mounted the yard office (final position) and did the landscaping around it including hooking up the exterior light. Tomorrow I plan on starting the dirt ballasting on the siding.

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

Thank you for the picture likes yesterday. No photos today.

Guy- Beautiful modeling. You have to let us know how the PECO works out. Hopefully it's better than the Shinohara one.

Greg- It's really frustrating, isn't it? At least in both cases it was just an inconvenience. Nice photo.

Joe- I was just teasing you. Dad retired from the Army.

Jaz- Well done! Those scenes look real. Nice scratch build. I thought it was a rabbit cage-shows what I know!

TomO- Very nice scenes.

Jesse- Nice buildings. I have purchased brick (resin) smokestacks online.

D&J- I'm sorry but that's just not right.

Tom H.- Thank you. The F3's are in dire need of weathering.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Jerry- Interesting looking hopper.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I just got our gas bill for heating the house for November. It is more than triple, versus November 2020. Last year, $29.30, this year, $99.94.
People often heat at 20 or 21 degrees especially when older,you can go down to 18 but wear warm layers in case of droughts which make it colder,try 1 degree at a time, we go 18 and have duvets in the sitting room to snuggle under,we can afford the bills but are tight axxx gits :)
wew have 2 chimneys and 20 acres so as long as we dry the wood we could burn it, but if not 20 percent wet max you risk carbon monoxide so get a detector if burning own wood,we bought a woodburner stove but we yet to get it fitted - laziness and busy with other things,we had wads of solar 25kwp but come winter and clouds we are lucky to charge the ev. We are tearing out gas central heating and going electric,less maintenance,less water leaks,not needing to replace every 8+ years which is a heavy investment, we chose oil rads which we move half run only if excess solar and half are programmable,we also shut down rooms we don’t need in winter and invest in heavy curtains, and pop old towels as droughts on doors we don’t use in winter. A mishmash I know but it suits us,and we have never bothered about other people opinion,when family was saying you have a good income get a professional fitted kitchen bathroom etc we fitted our own and overpaid the mortgage and paid over years early,keeping up with the Jones’s is not us. Never bought a new car and barring mortgage and the odd car we buy cash or not at all,and we have not struggled for cash for a very long time, no debts no interest,lived within our means.
pine kitchen is in granny annexe silver and as kitchen is main kitchen. Husband fitted flat pack units, I did wall tiling and painting,tiled floor was a professional, pine is 16 years silver is 13 years, only sink unit has been replaced as water damage did get into doors. not grand but does the job, replaced sink with stainless steel

Attachments

• 20EA0946-F9BF-4450-B2A4-9A1ED9BABF63.jpeg
    20EA0946-F9BF-4450-B2A4-9A1ED9BABF63.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 25DB62DB-E4D0-4A83-B0FB-B236C698DA19.jpeg
    25DB62DB-E4D0-4A83-B0FB-B236C698DA19.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back