Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, y'all. Sunny with rising temperatures...we are anticipating a steep rise in temperatures between now and tomorrow, followed by a corresponding steep drop, later tomorrow. There is a high wind warning up from 1300 tomorrow until 0100 Sunday morning.

Not for nothing, there is a correlation between our recent high fuel costs, and our unusually high temperatures...has happened before also...can't explain it, but I'll take it. Back in the late 80's, I bought a 4wd SUV to deal with all the snow we were having. Had it for 3 years, during which we had hardly any snow. Replaced it with a Lumina, and three days later, a blizzard...can't explain that either...

In a little while, we will be going shopping for the last gift, a Rx pickup for the MIL and our annual visit to the liquor store. Seems that Christian Brothers Brandy, a key ingredient in the wife's Fruit Cake, is in short supply...Wonder if Woodford Reserve is a good substitute? :rolleyes:;)

Jury Duty starts Monday, with a Zoom Conference...should be interesting...Philly Chapter PRRT&HS, is doing a Zoom Meeting Saturday, should be good practice.

View attachment 136630
Woopsie in Kensington...RDG Bridge train string lines on Trenton Ave Curve in Philadelphia in 1966. Phila Bulletin Photo courtesy Temple U.

Feeling much better today! Tomorrow, 'Nova plays South Dakota State, in the FCS Championship Finals...Sunday, 'Nova plays Baylor on ABC @ 3PM. Go Cats! And finally, GO ARMY - BEAT NAVY!

I really hate when I do that.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 64°, expecting 80° later today, a repeat of yesterday's weather. Cold front after midnight and the high tomorrow will be 56°. Back into the 70's and 80's by Monday. Last night's sunset wasn't quite as spectacular as some of the previous ones.
View attachment 136620
Yesterday's weekly grocery trek turned into a bummer when I was through the checkout line and discovered that I had failed to bring either the credit card, debit card or cash with me. Whooops! However, they sacked everything up and moved the cart back into the cooler while I spent an extra hour returning home and getting my wallet and went back to complete the transaction. I say my wallet, but I actually just carry the cards/cash along with my drivers license in my front pocket. A throw-back to when I was a kid in Brooklyn and watched pickpocketers at work on the subway platforms. Later in the trip, the visit to the post office was for a certified letter and not a package too big for the mailbox, wasn't a wasted visit as I had to purchase stamps anyway.

Santa arrived early yesterday while I was gone and left my new Canon Power Shot camera. I had to charge the battery before I could use it, kind of an inconvenience. A little different than the older model but works pretty much the same. However it did not come with a cable to connect it with the computer and the one from the old camera does not fit in either port? You are supposed to download pictures through your home wifi which I haven't had time to set up on the camera yet. Five pages in the instruction manual! In the meantime, I will just have to remove the SD memory card and plug it in to do the download. I may even have another cord somewhere that fits one of the two ports in the camera. Won't really matter once I get the wifi process set up.

Thanks for all of the wonderful responses regarding the newest member of the clan. In case that I didn't mention before, his name is Liam, shorter version of both of his grandfathers' name of William.
Thanks also for the many likes and comments for yesterday's simple post; Sherrel, Patrick, James, Christian, Guy, Rick, Gary, Joe, Tom ), Hughie, Curt, Louis, Jaz, Karl, George, OB Ken.

I'd like some sausage links with poached eggs this morning Francine. So Flo is running late you say - hot date last night huh?

Late trip to the train shed yesterday due to the unfortunate act of forgetfulness earlier in the day. I mainly cleaned up around the new project area and looked at how I want to proceed, The Walther's Magic Pan Bakery kit was a good start with the flour storage tanks and the pneumatic lines to transport flour. However it did not come with the final few feet of hoses that eventually attach to the outlets on the airslide covered hoppers. These I will fashion myself out of some correctly gauged wire and just lay on the nearby ground. I did glue back the errant part and some of the piping that either didn't have enough glue, or I didn't do all of the connecting points to begin with. At the time, I was in a hurry to get the layout built and parts of it operational, so I have unfinished projects like this one.
View attachment 136622
View attachment 136625
I will also be fashioning some kind of return piping to go under the track from the piping on the other side.
The platform and concrete pad with retaining dikes was added by me to provide a place to unload corn oil. The oil storage tank is from Rix Products and the small pump house is from Pikestuff. The piping between the two came from Walther's.
View attachment 136623View attachment 136624
The safety cage also came from Walther's but I haven't trimmed it to fit yet. I intend to add a pipe from the pump house to the unloading pit for the oil.
Here's a shot of the boxcars waiting for loads by the side of the bakery.
View attachment 136626
The toothpick on the left is a temporary aid to assist me in spotting the cars correctly so the doors line up. I will replace it eventually with something else.
View attachment 136627

Steve J - Congratulations to your daughter, and you and your wife for her fine upbringing.
Ken (D&J) - That front railing was knocked loose by the maintenance crew while repairing the hanger. Engine has not gone through post-repair inspection yet before returning to service.
I am still putting up some remaining fascia after nine years. Ironically everything that I built in the last six years is done.
Baby leaks - not my problem any more! ;)
Guy -

Boring hasn't stopped me from posting photos! Your trials and tribulations can help other newbies with their projects. At least that's how I look at it.
Joe - Good news about the test result.
Jesse - Nice haul.
Curt - Good luck with the diagnosis of the loco problem. Cleaning wheels usually works well for me.
Tom O - Waco is about 150 miles away, but in Texas, that's considered backyard. I don't think that Baylor had a chance to begin with.
Terry - I ended up liking direct deposit once they got it working right after the first pay period. Our company had an option if the employee was unbanked. A vendor that I dealt with switched with no option and lost 40% of their employees overnight, obviously to their detriment. Their corporate owners gave them no choice even when warned ahead of time what would happen. They never recovered and eventually shut down completely from loss of business (ours included) about six months later. Mexicans, whether legal or not do not use banks.

Everybody have a great Friday. Stay safe.

Those are some great scenes there Willie, I may just steal some ideas from you😁

I used a key fob (HD) camera to record this, I tried to use a Cannon cab, and record thru the front window. I was told I should have used a GIF, to which I replied, no thanks, I am trying to quit those anymore. Heck even if I knew how to make a GIF, still would not know how to put it in the video.
Oh well, here is a cab ride around my outfit.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 64°, expecting 80° later today, a repeat of yesterday's weather. Cold front after midnight and the high tomorrow will be 56°. Back into the 70's and 80's by Monday. Last night's sunset wasn't quite as spectacular as some of the previous ones.
View attachment 136620
Yesterday's weekly grocery trek turned into a bummer when I was through the checkout line and discovered that I had failed to bring either the credit card, debit card or cash with me. Whooops! However, they sacked everything up and moved the cart back into the cooler while I spent an extra hour returning home and getting my wallet and went back to complete the transaction. I say my wallet, but I actually just carry the cards/cash along with my drivers license in my front pocket. A throw-back to when I was a kid in Brooklyn and watched pickpocketers at work on the subway platforms. Later in the trip, the visit to the post office was for a certified letter and not a package too big for the mailbox, wasn't a wasted visit as I had to purchase stamps anyway.

Santa arrived early yesterday while I was gone and left my new Canon Power Shot camera. I had to charge the battery before I could use it, kind of an inconvenience. A little different than the older model but works pretty much the same. However it did not come with a cable to connect it with the computer and the one from the old camera does not fit in either port? You are supposed to download pictures through your home wifi which I haven't had time to set up on the camera yet. Five pages in the instruction manual! In the meantime, I will just have to remove the SD memory card and plug it in to do the download. I may even have another cord somewhere that fits one of the two ports in the camera. Won't really matter once I get the wifi process set up.

Thanks for all of the wonderful responses regarding the newest member of the clan. In case that I didn't mention before, his name is Liam, shorter version of both of his grandfathers' name of William.
Thanks also for the many likes and comments for yesterday's simple post; Sherrel, Patrick, James, Christian, Guy, Rick, Gary, Joe, Tom ), Hughie, Curt, Louis, Jaz, Karl, George, OB Ken.

I'd like some sausage links with poached eggs this morning Francine. So Flo is running late you say - hot date last night huh?

Late trip to the train shed yesterday due to the unfortunate act of forgetfulness earlier in the day. I mainly cleaned up around the new project area and looked at how I want to proceed, The Walther's Magic Pan Bakery kit was a good start with the flour storage tanks and the pneumatic lines to transport flour. However it did not come with the final few feet of hoses that eventually attach to the outlets on the airslide covered hoppers. These I will fashion myself out of some correctly gauged wire and just lay on the nearby ground. I did glue back the errant part and some of the piping that either didn't have enough glue, or I didn't do all of the connecting points to begin with. At the time, I was in a hurry to get the layout built and parts of it operational, so I have unfinished projects like this one.
View attachment 136622
View attachment 136625
I will also be fashioning some kind of return piping to go under the track from the piping on the other side.
The platform and concrete pad with retaining dikes was added by me to provide a place to unload corn oil. The oil storage tank is from Rix Products and the small pump house is from Pikestuff. The piping between the two came from Walther's.
View attachment 136623View attachment 136624
The safety cage also came from Walther's but I haven't trimmed it to fit yet. I intend to add a pipe from the pump house to the unloading pit for the oil.
Here's a shot of the boxcars waiting for loads by the side of the bakery.
View attachment 136626
The toothpick on the left is a temporary aid to assist me in spotting the cars correctly so the doors line up. I will replace it eventually with something else.
View attachment 136627

Steve J - Congratulations to your daughter, and you and your wife for her fine upbringing.
Ken (D&J) - That front railing was knocked loose by the maintenance crew while repairing the hanger. Engine has not gone through post-repair inspection yet before returning to service.
I am still putting up some remaining fascia after nine years. Ironically everything that I built in the last six years is done.
Baby leaks - not my problem any more! ;)
Guy -

Boring hasn't stopped me from posting photos! Your trials and tribulations can help other newbies with their projects. At least that's how I look at it.
Joe - Good news about the test result.
Jesse - Nice haul.
Curt - Good luck with the diagnosis of the loco problem. Cleaning wheels usually works well for me.
Tom O - Waco is about 150 miles away, but in Texas, that's considered backyard. I don't think that Baylor had a chance to begin with.
Terry - I ended up liking direct deposit once they got it working right after the first pay period. Our company had an option if the employee was unbanked. A vendor that I dealt with switched with no option and lost 40% of their employees overnight, obviously to their detriment. Their corporate owners gave them no choice even when warned ahead of time what would happen. They never recovered and eventually shut down completely from loss of business (ours included) about six months later. Mexicans, whether legal or not do not use banks.

Everybody have a great Friday. Stay safe.
Again WILLIE, congrats to all involved in bringing Liam into the world. Great pictures of the layout today

Automatic banking, easiest thing to do. Terry, hey it’s in the bank, maybe things will turn for you and the Mrs.

There always seemed to be every few years a screw up in the system and the employee check would be late at one of the glass places I worked at. Turns out it was NOT the bank or IT’s fault. The owner was embellishing from his own company and took too much out. Always blamed on the bank but he wasn’t smart enough to leave enough for payroll. That was a miserable trial to testify at, he was such a nice generous guy and staff loved him. The FBI and Federal prosecutor’s nailed him to the wall. You don’t mess with Federal money or contracts.

Willie, I know 150 miles is nothing to a Texan. The bridge next to I35 in Waco on the Baylor campus’s frontage road is a neat thing.

TomO

Well it is afternoon in the Midwest and in South Central Wisconsin the weather guessers are wrong again. Seems Mother Nature has decided that she will not hand out the White Gifts from Above but instead will drop some rain. But the weather guessers are saying after 5pm instead of noon.

WILLIE, I have done the check out line thing once without having payment on me. This is how I don’t forget. I carry my MasterCard, my driver license which is also approved for airline boarding as an ID and my debit card. Underneath is at most $40 broken up as a 20, 10 and 2-$5 bills. Nothing is kept under the phone.
DCDE4E98-61F0-4A45-87F6-EF8699CA11DA.jpeg

See the mail call as I did some unplanned retail therapy today in person.

Wow, I just lost my train of thought!

Enjoy the day
TomO

Army - Navy game tomorrow! I will be watching it periodically while I am ripping out my old dishwasher that I have not used because it never worked since I bought the house. I have a new one on the way and will be here early next week. I need this out as they will take it away after dropping off the new one! Once that's done tomorrow I will be in the train room!

Oh man, having some serious hobby withdraws here!!! Promised the wife I would stay away from the train build until after the holidays so we can get stuff done, been about a month since any serious work got done…. I am itching and scratching, ready to get back to it!!! lol Maybe I will get some goodies to go with it for Christmas😉

Afternoon All,

Spent a lot of time in the layout room. Started out cleaning all my diesel wheels. The FP7 locos were unbelievably dirty. I put it on the mainline and I got the same start and stops. I take them off and put my F3's on. Same issue. I decide to meter the track and discovered power was cycling off and on...hence the starting and stopping. Now why is it doing it? Obviously, I have to look at the sidings since that is the only change in months. I decided to bite the bullet and pulled up the two sidings and electrofrog. I retested and I was getting the same power shifting on and off. At this point I didn't have a clue what to do. After scratching my head and cussing (in my head) I figured I needed to remove the entire siding to see if that made a difference. I went to get the Xacto knife, picked it up and everything started up. I put the sidings back together and everything worked. I can't believe I wasted probably 4 hours over 2 days because of a Xacto knife. :oops: The problem was that it was covered up by all the stuff piled on the peninsula so I didn't see it.

Thank you for all the likes yesterday on my posted photos.

Christian- Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath are great groups. I stared at your layout trying to figure out how the inner loops connected to the outer...SMH!

Ken- It's good that kids are doing organized things with other kids again.

Joe- Et Tu Brute? Of course, Navy is going to win tomorrow.

Jerry- Interesting MOW car.

Tom Holley- Nice video.

20211210_121117.jpg

20211210_133504.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon!

I'm very happy just now. A bit of lighting was installed in the coffee shop, and I nearly have two buildings ready for the layout.
CoffeeShop_12-10-2021_1.jpg

A roof and the floor still has be be put into the diner, plus the waitress (who has a chip on her shoulder) has to be painted. Suppose I should weather the building as well. All in all, though, I'm a happy camper.
More photos:
CoffeeShop_12-10-2021_2.jpg

CoffeeShop_12-10-2021_3.jpg

The camera seems to be picking up a-lot of glare. They look far better in real life. Plus, I can dim these lights.

I'm lighting up the towns front row based on a bet the G-kids will have an enjoyable time playing with the layout. Plus, the lights are for the child hiding in me, as well. I hope I get knocked down by a meteorite if I ever grow up.

I have renewed enthusiasm for the hobby. Time to get on with it. I want lights; lots of lights.

Good Afternoon Everyone out there in Model Railroader land. Overcast and waiting for the rain that is expected if the forecasters are correct.

I seldom forget my wallet, but I only carry it when I drive to have my DL handy. But I have a bad habit of keeping the wallet in the side compartment in the driver's door. Many nights I would get up and go out to the garage to get the wallet as a piece of mind since Ihnot really sure it was still there or not!

Best plans to go down to the train room failed again. I had to puppy sit for Riley while Cathy when shopping. But, at least she buying me an adjustable height work stool that's on sale and will be perfect for the work bench that stores under the layout. Right now I'm using a mechanics chair that rolls, but is a bit too low to get out of lately. The mechanics chair being on rollers is nice for working under the layout.

Riley will go into her grate if you tell her " Time for a Nap", but in return she wants a cookie or treat. Nap time usually lasts for a couple of hours and then its time to get out of her grate for some playtime.

Curt: I was preparing the layout for our informal group meeting and the DCC Booster kept shorting out. I checked everything and then rechecked. Inspected all the under-layout feeders and terminals along with every Digitrax LocoNet panel. Spend the better part of two evenings looking for a short. Finally I found a piece of .032 solder laying between the rails and causing the problem.

McLeod: I sure like that ACE Hardware store. The interior is so realistic. The cafe isn't too bad either. Nice work. Lights like adding people brings a layout to life.

I have to recommend Jason Jensen.com again for his videos on how to do just about everything. Watched his video on how to make plastic look like wood. I have a couple of kits that I can use his methods on and when Cathy was shopping I asked her to get me some supplies for these projects.

That's about all for now...........................

Greg

#################

So... I've got asthma

I use an inhaler - but only as needed, which is maybe 6 times a year.

Wife's insurance includes one of those mail order pharmacies, but they send 3 mos at once.

Noticed I had only a couple months left on my #1 inhaler (I keep a spare, but try to get them 6 mos apart so the exp date is different). Normally, I have my Doc put in 1 mos supply ONLY no refills.

Because, the mail order can send up to 3 mos at once.

I sent the doc an email and asked for a renewal since one of my inhalers was about to hit the exp date ( maybe 30 doses used out of 200). I forgot to remind him to do one month only.

Not only did I get three months, I got an extra month! showed up today.

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 3.39.57 PM.png

Expiration is only Mar of 2023.

ONE will last me more than that time. I didn't even use a full inhaler's worth of doses when I lived in wildfire and smog zones in Los Angeles.

These are not expensive, but I hate to wast three of them.

So I called, and am making a customer service rep work... I'm polite, and thanking her for her help... but sending four inhalers that are emergency use only doesn't make sense.

Amazingly, they're happy to refund me 3/4 of my $10 co-pay. They don't want to mess with taking them back. I can keep them. Oh Joy.

I swapped out the one inhaler that expires in Feb. I might get to swap the second one out before Mar of 2023. I forget the expiration on it. It's somewhere in 2022.

It's not that I want my $7.50 back... it's the idea that because they CAN send all four at once and bill the insurance for them, they will.

Take them back? Nope. Give me a paltry sum back to make me go away, sure.

Medicine in the USA is a racket.

So... I've got asthma

I use an inhaler - but only as needed, which is maybe 6 times a year.

Wife's insurance includes one of those mail order pharmacies, but they send 3 mos at once.

Noticed I had only a couple months left on my #1 inhaler (I keep a spare, but try to get them 6 mos apart so the exp date is different). Normally, I have my Doc put in 1 mos supply ONLY no refills.

Because, the mail order can send up to 3 mos at once.

I sent the doc an email and asked for a renewal since one of my inhalers was about to hit the exp date ( maybe 30 doses used out of 200). I forgot to remind him to do one month only.

Not only did I get three months, I got an extra month! showed up today.

View attachment 136646
Expiration is only Mar of 2023.

ONE will last me more than that time. I didn't even use a full inhaler's worth of doses when I lived in wildfire and smog zones in Los Angeles.

These are not expensive, but I hate to wast three of them.

So I called, and am making a customer service rep work... I'm polite, and thanking her for her help... but sending four inhalers that are emergency use only doesn't make sense.

Amazingly, they're happy to refund me 3/4 of my $10 co-pay. They don't want to mess with taking them back. I can keep them. Oh Joy.

I swapped out the one inhaler that expires in Feb. I might get to swap the second one out before Mar of 2023. I forget the expiration on it. It's somewhere in 2022.

It's not that I want my $7.50 back... it's the idea that because they CAN send all four at once and bill the insurance for them, they will.

Take them back? Nope. Give me a paltry sum back to make me go away, sure.

Medicine in the USA is a racket.
Troy

Maybe a story line for another book?

TomO

This just reported. Michael Nesmith, singer songwriter and lead guitarist for the Monkees died today at age 78. Only their drummer Mickey Dolenz is still alive.
I saw them in concert in Dallas in '67 or '68, Jimi Hendrix was the opening act...kinda blew most audience members minds.
I saw this too Willie, very sad to hear, I remember their TV show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back