Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon all you Model Railroaders out there in internet land. Over-cast and and a typical day in December minus snow cover, but unusually warm air coming next week with temperatures in the 50's to near 60 degrees. Good time to replace that rear outdoor lamp by the back door. Looks like a major storm is passing to our north and we will get some much needed rain for our area. But, 6-9 inches of snow forecast at the cabin.

Just ordered from Kalmbach a 41' Milwaukee, Racine & Troy gondola that due out next month. I've been collecting MR&T rolling stock ever since I toured the actual MR&T with a tour given by Jim Hediger. I also have the Athearn locomotive painted and lettered for the MR&T railroad. The railroad is really impressive to see in person and was much larger than I would of thought.

TomO: Good idea on the beat-up pulpwood car. I would imagine that these cars see little in the way of maintenance unless it affects the cars working abilities. I need to get some pulpwood cars like yours since I only have bulk logs cars to haul the shorter 4 foot lengths of cut wood. Plus, I have too many different road names after a buying binge at TrainFest many years ago.

Willie:
Nice addition to your family! I had the same problem with a truck hinge falling off and then the project of finding out which car it cam from on the layout. Speaking of working for the Post Office, my Dad started at the Post Office, one within walking distance of our home when we lived in Milwaukee, just before the start of WWII. Pay was low, but the benefits were excellent and his time in the Army carried over to his time with the USPS.

He somehow collected paid annual leave which he hardly used and retired with full pay for almost 2 years after his almost 30 years of service.

Tomorrow I got to get down stairs for a while to get more things cleaned up and a track cleaning car running. I want to try the MRH mag suggestion to use Track Magic to clean the track follow with a very light application of #4B graphite alone some sections of the rail. The graphite is reported to reduce the micro-arching of the locomotive wheels when coming in contact with the rail heads. We'll see?

Saturday, I may take Riley to train watch in Sussex and Du Plainville, Wisconsin. She likes to sit in her crate and just spend time with me bonding.

Now that the leaves are gone at night I can hear the CN mainline almost two miles to the west of our home. Also, if I'm in the garage I can heard the CP line also approximately two miles from my home. The abandoned Milwaukee Bug Line is only blocks away and is now a rec trail. A wood trestle on the Bug near us crosses a the Bark River and farther to the west in Sussex, Wisconsin, a larger wooden trestle had the Bug Line cross over the then SOO Line.
1639084695909.png

The Bug Line runs through some still nicely wooded areas and serviced a limestone quarry near Lannon, Wisconsin. The Bug Line is now paved with asphalt and is used year round. At night you can hear coyotes howling as the run the trail after deer and other game.-Greg

That about all for now...............

Greg

#########################

Willie

This is for you. Live a few minutes ago.

Baylor ranked 6th against Minnesota rank 11th, what an exciting environment. Badgers play around 4pm Decent seats
7F1B2A76-6743-4D77-87BE-B4A6E7BAE691.jpeg

Update at 4:42 CST Baylor lost in 5 sets 3-2.

The Badgers #4 now play at 5:30 instead of the scheduled 4pm. I tired and this old field house is packed literally to the rafters and is very warm

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent a lot of time in the train room with mixed results. I attached track feeders and connected them to the buss. After turning on the layout, I got nothing. Must be a short. Check all the wiring-it's correct. I change throttles with same results. Then it clicked...I have all PECO Insulfrog T/O's except for 1 Electrofrog that I installed on the new track. Crap :(. I did a quick search online to see where I needed the insulated joiners. After fixing that everything had power.

After vacuuming the track and the area around the track I started testing with my Genesis FP7 ABA. Although I had a bunch of starts and stops it ran on all tracks. Next, I cleaned all the T/O points and used a track cleaner (looks like an eraser). Still starting and stopping and now one of the A units sounds like it's dragging a wheel set off and on. I looked with a flashlight and didn't see any debris. The other 2 locos are starting and stopping even on the main line. These used to be my best runners. I'll clean the wheels tomorrow and see if anything changes. Obviously more testing tomorrow.

Thank you for all the likes yesterday.

Dave- I think the modifications look good and will work well for you.

Bigfoot- Nice job on the shed. The lighting is a real nice touch.

Willie- Congratulations to the SFW clan on the new addition.

Ken- I'm glad your grandson is well enough to play basketball.

Jaz- Very nice scenes.

D&J- Very cool looking ravine area.

Sherrel- Nice Frisco consist. Do you have water rationing? I saw on the news last night about it in CA.

Guy- Great looking interior.

Joe- Great photo. When I went to the LHS the other day they had several Rapido X31 box cars. Looked nice but I'm not spending just shy of $50 for a box car. :eek:

Jesse- Nice haul.

This is the new building I will be using in place of Hendrix's.

20211209_094842.jpg

20211209_140401.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Nothings changed, still the same. Its silly really. Buy a nice used car, drive it for over 200,000 miles and still be considered "safe" in the eyes of the state. They are banking on maintenance keeping it safe
Like some folks maintain their cars.
Silly, I'd say stupid. I'm sure you see all the junk running the roads today.

I remember a time when local police would write inspection tickets, maybe then it made sense.

Louis The trans in the Mack that Terry drove was likely a Mack Du-plex,Tri-plex or a quadru-plex. The " Fuller 13 speed" is a single stick box that made its debut in 67 or 68. (sorry to bring up truck stuff on a train site but its still flowing in my veins);)
Bring it up all you like, it's the coffee shop, almost anything goes. And I love "truck stuff" especially now that I don't drive them any more! Cars, planes and other power units are cool in my book as well.

Mike, that would be an automotive inspection. In there are no annual inspections in Maryland. Once a car has been inspected to get tags it does not have to be inspected again until it changes ownership. At least that is how it was. It's been so long since I bought or sold a used car it could have changed.
Louis- WI only has emission inspections in the 7 counties in the SE corner of the state(Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Sheboygan & Washington). No inspection in the rest of the state. When I moved to WI, a new car’s inspection was valid for 4 years & then every 2 years after that. I remember when you had to be inspected annually. I also remember sitting in queue at the inspection station for a couple hours. When I first started driving(& before then), a trip to the DMV to renew your license or registration was an all day affair. Up in this part of the state, certain locations do driver services(like testing & licensing) & others do vehicle services(like titles & tag services).
Willie- congrats on the new future RR modeler. In terms of inspection, PA requires up to 3 types of inspection stickers to be displayed in the windshield(safety, emissions(if in a metro urban area) & a 4WD truck safety sticker(when I bought my Ram back in 2008, it was previously owned by a landscaper in Bucks County & had all 3 stickers). Back in the mid-90’s, I went to trade school in NE Philly. I had a few classmates who were routinely pulled over by Philly’s Finest for a missing emission sticker. The only problem was that they both lived in rural counties that did not require emission inspection- just safety. Talk about cops w/ egg on their faces when they had to send these guys on their merry way.

Last edited:
And there are people rioting because they have to have a mask impinging on their ease of movements. Probably thinking, "hey, I just got out of some very cramped quarters and ya do this to me, Can't even hold a placard"
Congrats to all involved. In the words of young Mr Grace "You've all done very well" (by the way, what is it?)
Toot- that reminds me of when people would thank me for a birthday/Christmas gift(when I was still with my ex), I would respond with “you’re welcome. BTW, what was it?”.

Good evening fellow modelers. Spent 6 hours at the NCAA Women’s regional open round Volleyball tourney in Madison, Wi. The UW Badger women destroyed the Lady Bruins of UCLA in 3-0 sets.
The ladies from Baylor sort of nearby to Willie as they are in Waco, Texas were upset in 5 sets by the Minnesota Gophers. 4600+ at the 1st game but a standing room only crowd of at least 7600 very loud folks for the second game.

No modeling done so far today as I had no time in the train room at all.

Enjoy the evening
TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back